Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook of Quinster

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Sketchbook of Quinster

The first work I'll display is my comic. I've been working on a comic called "Sea of Kansas". Its my own story (my friend has helped me with the story-line) set in an alternative-universe with an early 1930's style to it. I just started to develop my own style in it and it seems to work out well. When people look at it they really like it (even though I've only fully finsihed 3 pages). This will prove to be a long project but I enjoy doing it. There will be a few concepts and pages displayed. I seem to ahve a problem with my people though, they don't appear very life-like. I have alot to learn...

A Very Early Rendition of the first page of the comic.

A penciled-in first page, almost finished.

A full picture of G-Man. His head, hands, legs and feet are out of proportion.

These are just some costume concepts. I've yet to do any for women.

Two villians I've created (that wont show up until later). One is still in the works.

These are 6 pages, only 3 are finished and the other are close to finsihed. I'm having a peticularly hard time on the city.

I need some tips (really need some on the city). I think its looking good but all my drawings are choppy. I want to do something to make them more life-like.

Last edited by Quinster; January 31st, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why am I replying to myself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a picture never finished. I plan to someday soon. Its an interesting picture. I took time to make personalities for the people. It seems poorly drawn though (hands are crap, legs are really long).

This is a poorly drawn sketch of The Devil and the Angel Gabriel .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the feet are always... always always always sticking out to the side... and the legs are always always always straight...real people dont stand like that, not even gangsters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Suits and more suits.

One thing, I just noticed, why are all your drawing tilted to the right at around 5~15 degrees?? Some seems to be the scanning but some looks very tilted. A straight down the middle of your figure to check the weight might fix that issue.

As for drawing environments, perspective study will do you very good. It will help a lot with other stuff too. Don't stress too much about pencil rendering skills or sribbly lines, these will come naturally to you after a while. As long as you know it's something you know you want to improve on, I think you will do fine. Also study on anatomy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything from the waist down sucks on my figures. I'm starting to use a skeleton model and add some muscle features. I drew this sketch last night and applied my new skill to it.

It looks better (I think?), but the feet are the devil! I'll have to redraw, and redraw until I get it right. This is for ART class so I'll ask my teacher what to do with the feet tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like "The Devil" a lot. Your style has potential but you need to work your anatomy more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah - making me put my money where my mouth is, eh? Good for you! (sucks for me... just kidding!) Your women look feminine enough - very classy and beautiful, not the usual 'sex kitten'. Just that one leg - so, I did a drawing for you to illustrate what I meant.

Notice how you can't see the heel of the foot pointed towards you. I probably haven't turned the knee far enough, so I need to do more work too. In case you haven't figured it out yet, art is one long journey of ever perfecting oneself. ...dagnabbit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BEHOLD! FEET! I did this in Staurday Shcool. I tried to draw some feet the best I could and as you cna see on the side I also drewa skeleton structure. Hopefully I can go buy a book on how to draw the anatomy at Boarders this weekend. Fortunatally, there was a kid with sandals on in class, so when I got stuck, I looked at his feet.

I redid G-Man's foot right here, its a little weird, I still ahve to fiddle with it a bit.

By the way, thanks for that drawing Teigrob! That really helps! Did you do that all for me? Awww I'm touched.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I redrew the 20's gals (and I'm pleased with the results).

I also did a revamp of the Traveling Salesman, now hes holding a vacuum cleaner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Throwin' Bones !!!!!

Period clothing can be very intriguing ~~~ your pages look a little smudged ~~ it help to fix them even though they are in a sketchbook ~~~ try to get a little more variation in your line ~ think about what you are drawing and think about how it would feel to the touch and try to get your line to reflect that feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, thats a good suggestion with the line variations and all, mentler. I'll experiment with that. The smugging I'm still struggling with, but its much better than it was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some very rough sketches I did today and one totally different from what I'm doing...a space pirate king! That one is for fun, and fun it shall be.

I am OBSSESSED!!! Notice how there is only one guy without a tie? In my world everyone wears ties for some reason, yay!

Some gals. Wimsey is up top supposed to be holding a big revolver. Also, some weird elf chicks. I'm thinking of putting weird mystical creatures like that in my story...I'll see how it goes.

Here is my Space Pirate guy. He will be surrounded my women (both human and otherwise) but he isn't really interested in any of them because there is only one gal for him. AWWWW. Even ruthless space pirates have hearts too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quinster, still going strong. good stuff. Now don't take me wrong, but I see you are doing your tilt to right drawings again. It seems you might have to constantly draw a line in the middle and horizontal line on the bottom to help you straighten that out for a bit. Also it's a good idea to study some very straight stiff, normal generic, default figures, the basics. You also seem to draw all your faces either 3/4 right or left. We all seem to develop strength and weakness in terms of our styles, but there is no need to restrict yourself to few poses. Don't be afraid to produce bad drawings, face it head on and conquer it. won't happen over night but it will get you started.

I have always drawn << 3/4 view myself for a long long time. Too long and took me even longer to break that cycle, but even now I am effected by this and often draw lopesided, my judgement has been adjusted to my mistake. Took me a while to realise what my weaknesses were and now am urgently trying to go back and fix them.

You are dedicated and talented, so you are already halfway there, practice don't always make things perfect, you also need to understand what perfect requires and then practice. Hope to see more!

cheers.

Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee
    Don't be afraid to produce bad drawings
    Hey, heres one where I wasn't. Tis another work I did for art class. Its one of me and my cousins.

Now isn't this a happy little picture of me, my Cousin Amanda and Cousin Deter? This was taken Thanksgiving of ought 4. Seems simple enough to draw?

Now see how badly this drawing was done? Its out of proportion, has very poor contrast, funky faces, (except for my cousin on the left, I drew him better than myself or my other cuz in the center) really, the whole thing is crap. The poor work on this drawing is because I only had one day to do it, I still got a B+ though. Now, if I were to redraw this and have all the time I wanted it would probably come out better. I need more practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quinster,

good start with the drawing. I guess one of the important thing to discipline yourself is to draw what you only see, see the buttons on the shirt on the left figure? you hardly don't see that in the photo, the tie on the right figure, you hardly notice that too. Same goes for many details you have placed in the picture. Work big, think and see in masses first, and then work your way with details. If you get bogged down on the details from the beginning things tend to not match up at later stages and too late trying to get those straight.

As for colouring with a pencil, it's dead simple, squint your eyes a bit and see what values you see, start off with a few and work your way from there. Again seeing and drawing what you only see helps. You have added lots of details that you know of from your memories or what you have seen, but not very strongly portrayed in the photo/reference.

Have you read through some of Loomis books? Creative drawings or other books? there are freely available and he points out lots of interesting ideas. Of course it's upto us indivduals to make our own studies but a good starting point nevertheless.

You have plenty of time, so be patient and keep working on it. Is that you on the far right??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee
    Is that you on the far right??
    How did you ever guess?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinster
    (except for my cousin on the left, I drew him better than myself or my other cuz in the center)
    That pretty much told me you would be the one on the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Lots of progress here. Especially after the headstudies. Your faces are less skewed now. I like the cowboy/barfight-scene.

Keep doing those anatomystudies... I'll check back

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some pictures of G-Man. It was mainly meant to draw him in different costumes. I'm not done with it. One is of him going totally nuts. I love drawing insanity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, school is out and I'm free! YAY! You might think that but I'm going to have summer school
    My friend Jessica is having her Quincenera on Saturday and I'm going to draw her a picture. She thought G-Man hawt so I'm going to draw him being sexy? I don't know how since I'm not a chick. I drew a really crappy conception of him in a wife beater and another of him in the suit I recently posted.

Its such crap...

Still need to work on this, its probably what I'm going to give her. Not the sketch of course, a finished, pened-in product of majesty

Last edited by Quinster; June 30th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come no one responds to this thread any more? Sorry about the lack of pictures, right now I'm going to start up my comic again. Its been too delayed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're killin' me, dude! I've been sittin' here for almost an HOUR and it STILL hasn't completely downloaded! GAH! That's probably why you're not getting a lot of posts - it's why I haven't posted lately. My insanely slow modem coupled with your large file sizes is not good. What I have seen is really cool - detachable collars? Sweet! Easy fix my man: if you have any sort of photo manipulation software, even Fireworks, check the image size of the picture you want to post. Rule of thumb for my posts is 100 dpi (that way it's still legible but small enough for web) and either 700 pixels tall (7 inches) or 700 pixels wide. Do that, and your images will load WAY faster. I'd suggest you do that with all the pictures you've already posted as well. Won't take long, and it won't break your link. Just have to re-upload them. Oh yeah - sometimes people don't post on your thread for awhile. Don't get downhearted - remember why you're doing it: to improve! Who cares if people post? It's great if they give helpful crits, but in the long run the only person who'll really help is yourself. So fix those file sizes, remember why you're doing this...and I'll be sure to check in at LEAST once a week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The file size is a definite factor. I have a great cable connection and it takes quite a bit. THey're also often too big to look at em easily without having to step back from the screen. It'll take an hour I'm sure, but it's worth resizing and Editing each post to correct the image link.

Keep posting though! You've the most well-dressed sketchbook I've seen. Dont' worry, people are watching and they'll keep with you as you grow.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo hoo! crappy sketches! I drew them on my sketchpad I got for my birthday.

Well heres more G-Man.

Heres one I drew of a guy who was in a dream I had a while ago. Its a crappy pose, but I'll probably draw him again in the future.

I have more...but if I post them I fear I wont finish them. More to come tomorrow!

Last edited by Quinster; November 3rd, 2005 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Birthday, Quinster! I'll be posting too soon...hopefully today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY! HELP ME WITH HIS FEET!!!

Last edited by Quinster; November 3rd, 2005 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice shading dude! Very nice. Help with the feet, eh? What do you want to know? If it's perspective, you just have to practice that...if anatomy, same thing. Right now, the only thing I see that's really wrong is that they look too big for his body. Or maybe his head is too small...Either or, one of 'em ain't right. If you want a homework assignment, (noo!!!) then do a page of realistic feet. Make them look bony, 'cause they are. No shoes, socks or rubber hose-ish style. Trust me, real life studies ALWAYS benefit your art, and make your own style more believable, not less. That's something I learned in college - hopefully you'll learn it earlier than I, and progress correspondingly further. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I save this picture from total crapdom? Or does it look alright?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡Bones‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

◊ery strange little drawing but I like it a lΨT

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5