Sketchbook: Sketchbook of Quinster - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Quinster, your last post, Wimsey looks very good!!

how about Loomis books? they are readily available online free. It's a very valuable resource. You might want to have a look at that before going out and buying books.

ALso check mentler's signature, there are some good resources there too.

Keep at it!!

Min

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool heya

Hey, you got something cool and original happening here! I really like the 20's style^_^ Don't beat yourself up too much about anatomy..it takes some time to get, but once you mentally grasp it, there's no letting go! And hey! You're just 16 and it's already lookin like you got it figured out. Don't quit! You got me interested...I wait for more~~~Sio

BTW: Wimsy is the coolest--_^

-Siobhan<><
    Sio's sketchbook #2
    Sio's sketchbook #1

BAM! LookAtThatBaconSizzle!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the main issue w/ a lot of your characters is the drapery...you dont yet have a solid grasp of how cloth falls over the form...and you've got to have a good understanding of the form before you can put cloth over it realistically. use a JCPenny's catalog your mom has or something for clothing ref for guys...really flat lighting, but it will start to give you a greast sense of how creases develop.

don't get discouraged, just keep drawing
    -dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definately have potential my friend

Some tips: In your art class, watch the lines and bends in your classmates shirts. Helps me

(Just dont get caught, its hard to explain to someone. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    (Just dont get caught, its hard to explain to someone. )
    LOL. Thanks you guys. Yeah, all my dimensions area bit flat. Takes time I guess. I've been moving slow on drawings lately, I'm thinking of posting some works from around a year ago to show how I've progressed, but I dunno. Reight now I'm doing my final art assignmnet, it can be anything we want so I'm drawing G-Man (I've posted the one of him walking, thats the one I'm doing). trick is there can't be any black lines and there has to be a full background. Not too hard, but its due monday. Well, I'll try and post it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well kiddies, heres my new post. I've decided to show some drawings from art class. We did portraits recently (April and May) and I'm going to post some of those I did in the alloted time we had for each person who got a turn on the stool. Its hard staying still for 10 minutes! And when the teacher forgets you're up there...aw boy. But it wasn't nearly as bad as our brave clasmate who had to sit on the stool for an hour every day for 2 weeks!! I tip my hate to her! While I'm at it, I'll post a picture I drew for Art Class that got entered into a Western Art show and its concepts.

The foot facing towards us is kinda werid, I gotta fix that. I'm gonna draw him handcuffed to his breifcase. A kid in Art today gave me the idea

What I hate about these faces is that after a while they start to look the same.

Some concepts we did for faces. Our teacher called him "Mr. Planeshead".

Heres a Self-Portrait. I messed up on my skin and the scanner made it look worse, but who cares? None of you really know what I look like! MUAHAHA

Heres the portrait of Karla. First, the concept (we eventually traced it over onto the finaly sheet in a lightbox) then the finaly drawing. Karla: that brave, brave girl

Heres the concepts and the final drawing. The final one got in that Western Art Show. A Nice chunk of it got cut of in the scanning as did many of these larger pictures I don't like the drawing that much; too many flaws. Their legs are too long etc...

Note: Have you ever had your work on exhibit then see someone look at it and move in to listen to what they say? Well I did...I think we all know how that ended up

Well, this took forever. 3 hours of scanning and milling around on the web for stuff completely non related! I found out that asexuality (as in having no sexual desire) isn't theoretical. How come we never hear about asexuals? This is tripping me out, what else don't we know? 0_0
    I shouldn't even be posting that lil' tidbit so forget it. Anyways this is alot of semi-recent work, from a few months ago or so.

Last edited by Quinster; June 16th, 2005 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update! Always good to work on heads. Now that I've seen that last fully rendered girl, I can see one of your problems a little bit more clearly. That of drawing flat? It's because you aren't treating the human form like it has form. For instance, her eyes don't look like the spheres they are, stuck into the bony sockets of the skull. One thing that helped me was to actually draw the whole eyeball when I was drawing someone's face, not just what I saw. Then it's easy to apply the shading you would to any old sphere. Another thing to try - draw the figure as a series of cylinders with a ball for the joint of the knee and elbow and wrist; and shade accordingly.

The only other thing I'll crit you on (that you haven't already noticed yourself): is on the last, fully rendered piece of the cowboys (very nice by the way - don't listen to people who just trash you. Chances are they can't draw at ALL. Just listen to constructive crits.). The only thing I'd say is that it needs more contrast to bring out the depth of the picture. That would be really easy to do: just darken up the figures in the foreground - the two gunslingers - and really draw the viewers eye where you want it to go. Otherwise, with no focal point, the tendency is to look at everything when you want people to focus on what's important - the two gunslingers.

Lastly, we're helping out because it's kind of like passing the torch. We all really love to draw and love to see others learning as well. When you love something, you want everyone to love it and enjoy it as much as you. Besides, as Siobhan says, you're doing something original. That alone gets people's interest. If you do the same thing everyone else does, you won't stand out and people will just go...ah, another zombie. YAWN, seen it a million times. Do something different...that's the key.

Anyway...sorry for the pontificating. Hope it helps...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, my two cents worth. First listen to Teigrob, she's giving you good advice. The hard part will be to do it.

Also you are doing great for your age!

Now one of the things I feel might help your gunslingers "pop" out a bit more is to darken the line where you have shadows. Like the bottom arm of the guy in the front.

Also, your rendering skills are pretty sharp. With more time and practice you'll outclass just about everyone else here. Rendering is hard to begin with. It's even harder to do it well (something I'm still struggling with). Already I can see gradients, especially on the over-turned table, but it is faint.

Keep at it and remember that 90% of the people will want to tear you down because you can do something they cannot or will not try to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CONTRATST!! CONTRAST!!! THATS WHAT MS. CASTRO SAID! ARGGHHHHHHHH!! Sorry, at one point I just said "To hell with the contrast!" and left it like that. Right now I'd kinda like to leave it, tampering with work that ahs been long finished will screw it up. I could try on photoshop? And those people who saw my drawings, well they were 6th grade girls who related that shootout to something with Ms. Kitty and then went crazy over someone who drew a horse *they sure liked horses). You might say don't take that so hard and I didn't, its just those were the only people I saw really look at my drawing. Kinda sucks when you get bad crits fer your work. Thanks for your (constructive) crits guys. Its been a real help. Wow, what an amazing yet disturbing place the internet is. My next drawing is the Traveling Salesman again, although I think I'll draw the first villian you'll see in the comic, I've only done two pictures of him not nearly finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in my technology class right now, and since I have nothing to do I'll post a comment here. I'm going to draw alot today. I'm Planning on doing several characters on one paper. I'll do G-Man (of course),Tommy (G-Man's close partner...Tommy is gunna die), Wimsey and her partner Douglas, Gordon (first villian) and the Traveling Salesmen (probably with some of his cronies...should they have faces?). Should be good, I need to draw more than just G-Man. You know, what should his real name be? I wnat it to be Italian since hes supposed to be Italian (could you tell?). Well, the bell rang and I gotta go buy some cheese its from the vending machine. I'll post when I get home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my new post with several characters from the begining of my story. Note: Wimsey and Douglas won't accompany G-Man until after the death of Tommy.

Some of the proportions are a bit werid, but it was a rough sketch. I just posted it to give a bit about the characters. I didn't write anything for G-Man and nothing on the backgroud for Douglas. G-Man is supposed to be a mysterious chracter and his past and personality unravel as the story goes on. Douglas is calm, cool-headed and has a clean wit. Hes pretty quiet though, but he has a very deep, sentimental side you wouldn't expect. Not too much more on Douglas, except that there is alot of sexual tension between himself and Wimsey. we all know how that kind of thing ends up Yes, there will be a love story, how can't there be? I'm thinking of eventually hooking up G-Man, but I'll have to see in what context and with whom. For most of it he seems asexual, but then there will be the femme fatal, oh boy G-Man can't hold back everything. Well, thats for the characters. Whats a story with out good characters?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come no one has replied yet? *cries* Hmmm, something on Gordon looks amiss. Not sure what...thats going to haunt me in my sleep...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some very rough sketches I did today and one totally different from what I'm doing...a space pirate king! That one is for fun, and fun it shall be.

I am OBSSESSED!!! Notice how there is only one guy without a tie? In my world everyone wears ties for some reason, yay!

Some gals. Wimsey is up top supposed to be holding a big revolver. Also, some weird elf chicks. I'm thinking of putting weird mystical creatures like that in my story...I'll see how it goes.

Here is my Space Pirate guy. He will be surrounded my women (both human and otherwise) but he isn't really interested in any of them because there is only one gal for him. AWWWW. Even ruthless space pirates have hearts too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quinster, still going strong. good stuff. Now don't take me wrong, but I see you are doing your tilt to right drawings again. It seems you might have to constantly draw a line in the middle and horizontal line on the bottom to help you straighten that out for a bit. Also it's a good idea to study some very straight stiff, normal generic, default figures, the basics. You also seem to draw all your faces either 3/4 right or left. We all seem to develop strength and weakness in terms of our styles, but there is no need to restrict yourself to few poses. Don't be afraid to produce bad drawings, face it head on and conquer it. won't happen over night but it will get you started.

I have always drawn << 3/4 view myself for a long long time. Too long and took me even longer to break that cycle, but even now I am effected by this and often draw lopesided, my judgement has been adjusted to my mistake. Took me a while to realise what my weaknesses were and now am urgently trying to go back and fix them.

You are dedicated and talented, so you are already halfway there, practice don't always make things perfect, you also need to understand what perfect requires and then practice. Hope to see more!

cheers.

Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee
    Don't be afraid to produce bad drawings
    Hey, heres one where I wasn't. Tis another work I did for art class. Its one of me and my cousins.

Now isn't this a happy little picture of me, my Cousin Amanda and Cousin Deter? This was taken Thanksgiving of ought 4. Seems simple enough to draw?

Now see how badly this drawing was done? Its out of proportion, has very poor contrast, funky faces, (except for my cousin on the left, I drew him better than myself or my other cuz in the center) really, the whole thing is crap. The poor work on this drawing is because I only had one day to do it, I still got a B+ though. Now, if I were to redraw this and have all the time I wanted it would probably come out better. I need more practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Quinster,

good start with the drawing. I guess one of the important thing to discipline yourself is to draw what you only see, see the buttons on the shirt on the left figure? you hardly don't see that in the photo, the tie on the right figure, you hardly notice that too. Same goes for many details you have placed in the picture. Work big, think and see in masses first, and then work your way with details. If you get bogged down on the details from the beginning things tend to not match up at later stages and too late trying to get those straight.

As for colouring with a pencil, it's dead simple, squint your eyes a bit and see what values you see, start off with a few and work your way from there. Again seeing and drawing what you only see helps. You have added lots of details that you know of from your memories or what you have seen, but not very strongly portrayed in the photo/reference.

Have you read through some of Loomis books? Creative drawings or other books? there are freely available and he points out lots of interesting ideas. Of course it's upto us indivduals to make our own studies but a good starting point nevertheless.

You have plenty of time, so be patient and keep working on it. Is that you on the far right??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee
    Is that you on the far right??
    How did you ever guess?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinster
    (except for my cousin on the left, I drew him better than myself or my other cuz in the center)
    That pretty much told me you would be the one on the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Lots of progress here. Especially after the headstudies. Your faces are less skewed now. I like the cowboy/barfight-scene.

Keep doing those anatomystudies... I'll check back

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've taken a slow walk through the whole page, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with both your progress thus far, and your ability to take crits to heart. I really, really wish that I'd started drawing much earlier than I did, but I missed my chance. You have that chance, and you're making good use of it. Stick with the CA crowd. This thread is looking great already.

When posting the last pic, from the photo, you mentioned that things are out of proportion. While there's no substitution for the trained eye, there are lots of tricks that can help you get the most out of a reference like that. Here's one I use very often: aquire a compass, the regular sort that one uses to draw circles with in math class. by opening and closing it and matching points to points in the ref you can easily help check your work as you go. For example, set the tool to the width of a head, leave it set like that, and then compare that measurement to something else, like the height of the head. If, lets say, you see that the height is twice the width, you can look at your drawing and check to see if you're in the right ballpark.

You can do the same thing with a finger (an arms length away for work from-life or against the photo if it's a ref), a pencil, or .. your eye (keep it in the socket though ). Anyhow, it's just a great way to keep one thinking about the relation of one form to another.

Things are looking great! Keep it up!

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some pictures of G-Man. It was mainly meant to draw him in different costumes. I'm not done with it. One is of him going totally nuts. I love drawing insanity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, school is out and I'm free! YAY! You might think that but I'm going to have summer school
    My friend Jessica is having her Quincenera on Saturday and I'm going to draw her a picture. She thought G-Man hawt so I'm going to draw him being sexy? I don't know how since I'm not a chick. I drew a really crappy conception of him in a wife beater and another of him in the suit I recently posted.

Its such crap...

Still need to work on this, its probably what I'm going to give her. Not the sketch of course, a finished, pened-in product of majesty

Last edited by Quinster; June 30th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come no one responds to this thread any more? Sorry about the lack of pictures, right now I'm going to start up my comic again. Its been too delayed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're killin' me, dude! I've been sittin' here for almost an HOUR and it STILL hasn't completely downloaded! GAH! That's probably why you're not getting a lot of posts - it's why I haven't posted lately. My insanely slow modem coupled with your large file sizes is not good. What I have seen is really cool - detachable collars? Sweet! Easy fix my man: if you have any sort of photo manipulation software, even Fireworks, check the image size of the picture you want to post. Rule of thumb for my posts is 100 dpi (that way it's still legible but small enough for web) and either 700 pixels tall (7 inches) or 700 pixels wide. Do that, and your images will load WAY faster. I'd suggest you do that with all the pictures you've already posted as well. Won't take long, and it won't break your link. Just have to re-upload them. Oh yeah - sometimes people don't post on your thread for awhile. Don't get downhearted - remember why you're doing it: to improve! Who cares if people post? It's great if they give helpful crits, but in the long run the only person who'll really help is yourself. So fix those file sizes, remember why you're doing this...and I'll be sure to check in at LEAST once a week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The file size is a definite factor. I have a great cable connection and it takes quite a bit. THey're also often too big to look at em easily without having to step back from the screen. It'll take an hour I'm sure, but it's worth resizing and Editing each post to correct the image link.

Keep posting though! You've the most well-dressed sketchbook I've seen. Dont' worry, people are watching and they'll keep with you as you grow.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It loads kinda slow for me too. I've been getting some complaints about that from people who wanna see my stuff. I'll have to resize tomorrow. I get dreadfully bored since no one waats to do anything so I'll do that. Thanks for the comments guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All is resized! Hoorhaa! The comic is left big so you can see all the detail and read the words, a couple are still sorta large so you can see everything that needs to be seen.

Last edited by Quinster; June 30th, 2005 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working on this nude drawing. Its of Nymphs, I like the teeth But there are some flaws I can see right off the bat. The sides of the breasts, the hand, arm of the Nymph on the right, and the crotch. The breasts look like more like baloons than anything else and teh crotch looks sorta weird. I'll have to work on this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm drawing a new picture for my cousin to cheer her up since shes feeling down. Its not much and it really is just a picture of a deshevled G-Man and a bunch of character heads. I'm going to try and finish it tonight. Heres what I have to far.

It ain't much, but its the thought that counts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a more updated picture of the Nymphs. My friend (who I think will be looking at the thread tonight) helped me out with the proportions around the hips and such. I dunno what I thought I was doing with that raised arm though...and the hands are the devil!

Still alot to fix.

And if you're there...HI GRACE!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5