Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Faust's Relaxation Exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RAWR! Phew, just took a look through your whole sketchbook, and the progress you've made is very impressive. I'll agree with what the other people keep saying - in your early works the nervous lines were very obvious, but you seem to have dealt with that really well. Your facial studies are excellent, it looks like you've put in a lot of work there. Your colour works are pretty impressive too - looks like you have a pretty good grasp of colour and value, from what I can see.

Don't forget about the rest of the body though - your studies on those from the Bridgeman book look good, though nowhere near as developed as your facial studies. Don't forget to apply the things you learn in anatomy books to your own poses, instead of just taking it in in the position they're drawn by the author.

So yeah, keep at it! I'll try give a more indepth critique at your next update, instead of trying to do a general one like this.

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =) yeah, funny thing! ..what's this? Helm?

Scretchbook 2, 1.
    my gallery
    Pencil - FOREWER!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW, your great faust!
    I like this picture the best, altought im not able to visit your first side in your sketchbook, I got 404 whole time.
    http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/752/teset10tk0bu.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 3 Baby!

@MissCeleste: Thanks! Drawing is like meditating for me sometimes, so the OMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm is present indeed

@Chisa: Hehe, I don't mind general critique. Sometimes someone has to tell me how the whole picture is looking when I'm lost in tiny little details.

@Kharma: haha, I don't know dude, but helmet sounds cool to me! Thanks for posting!

@Dile: Well, you didn't miss much Mostly uncreative Bridgman-studies and mediocre pencil-drawings. Take care buddy!

Well , got a scanner so I'll post some assorted drawing from the week:

First, fancy pencil-headstudies:

Daddy's got new markers!
    Fucking around with them, since no markers used before:

Drawing people and things and stuff:

will pose some digital stuff later today. Seeya!

Last edited by ~Faust~; March 15th, 2006 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy, hows it like working with markers? I couldnt really get the hang of it when i tried it. Will maybe buy a range of markers next payday and try it out. Which ones did you get?

Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without Passion
    Sketchbook
    www.doronila.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THESe are great studies, was this what you meant by painterly??

good practicing, but you have to look more carefully. You're putting in shading where there isn't any and it destroyes the forms of the face. More than anything, you have to leave white instead of shading 3/4 of the face in, use shading as a way to define your form. Like here, old guy has two little triangles coming in on both sides of his cheeks. If you meant to do sunken cheeks because of aging, those don't read. sunken cheeks are usually a downward stroke from the cheek bones Here boy on top right has a giant triangular mark on his forehead. The front plane of the forehead should be in the direct line of light, no shading there.

grats on those markers btw, it looks like you need to buy a few more shades of grey, it might not be the same for you, but I use prismacolours and there's greys in 10%, 20%, 30% all the way to 100.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Doronila: Yo, markers are very nice, I can now concentrate fully on the outlines while scetching, since I can do all the shading with the markers. It's also nice to do the markers first and make some lines over it.
    I got COPIC-Markers. 3 different kinds of cold and 2 different warm greys. + colorless blender.

@Chichigo: No, this is what I meant by fucking around with markers
    I drawed all my former studies painterly, some examples: 1, 2 and 3. This technique lets you draw a nice picture quick. It doesn't teach you the structure underneath, though. But it's good practice for rendering. With the time I learnt that drwaing evolve only from utter shit to pro. If you only try to draw nicely and accurately catch the subject, you'll msot likely need a much longer time to learn it. If 50% of what you draw a day is aestetically pleasing you, you are already very good. I'm at 5 or 6% right now.

Tried digital study of bot, it looked so much like utter shit that I gave up and did a quick squirt in exchange:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, is this Bridgeman, anatomy book good,
    cause I had my Birthday money today, so I can afford some new books
    I guess its okay to buy it from Amazon.co.uk
    btw: is it Consctructive anatomy 74* you have ??
    if it isnt, could you please tell me wich one you got ??

Last edited by Dile_; March 11th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woohoo, lots more new stuff! Great facial studies, although in some places it seems that the features are out of proportion or alignment with the outline of the head. The figures made up of shadows and with minimal lines looks awesome, its a really interesting style.

Markers look like fun, I should give them a shot when I've gotten a little better with the pencil XD

Chisa's Happy Place (sketchbook) | chisa@deviantart | The ChiGarden | sketchblog

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope you don't mind me posting this here as a heads up to dile (as well as everyone): i recommend either constructive anatomy or the human machine (actually, i recommend both, as they work together well as a set, helping you to understand the what as well as the why). they tell you about the muscles and the bones, and where they attach to each other and try to explain the function. that should also help you to understand how they should look in certain positions, like, in a twisting motion, which muscles would contract and bulge out and which muscles would expand and flatten. anyway, good luck with drawing everybody, and i expect to see some more more from you, faust. the bot doesnt look so bad, btw, try changing the background color to something less flourescent and see how it goes...

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, at what point should I be poking you to post more often?

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah post more Faust!
    but, I guess 3 days isnt that much, as long as he draw besides!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, I have no scanner at the moment and I returned to hardcore crappy anatomy-studying. Starting with several poses the morning and concentrating on a part on the whole day when there's time.

So no updates possible atm But, I will post a thing I just drew in 5t Minutes, so I don't break the rules of this forum

@Dile: You got my PM

@Chisa: Ehehe, yep, you should poke me I need it sometimes.

@Purbster: I couldn't but smile when I read your comment Because the books I recommended to Dile where: Bridgman: Constructive Anatomy, The human machine & Life Drawing (Very nice but complicated). See any similarities?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speed-poop:

Last edited by ~Faust~; March 16th, 2006 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the bird, but i think you should do the head in more detail cause for one, it seems like the focal point of the picture, and two, right now it blends in with the body, you need to make it pop. wheres the light source coming from? in the 2nd picture, its not bad, i actually like the composition, but you shouldnt have the thing that the guy is holding cut across the whole page like that, cause that hurts the composition and cuts the dude at the far right out of the picture. maybe have the bike dude hold the thing more diagonally towards the middle of the page? ill try to draw up something to show you what i mean once i get back from work. take care dude.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fausty baby! The bird is great! It feels like with that one you loosened up a little bit more than usual. I esp like the little panoramic sketch next to it as well...getting into some compositional things...good

One thing about the bird though...of which I will have to disagree on. I think that if you make the head pop it might take away from the drawing as a whole. I would say define edges of the whole birds body more...not just the head. And having a very prominant focal point can be good and can be very bad...remember that peeps want to look at your whole drawing/painting/sculpture.

peace

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay man glad to see you updating again!! Pretty nice things happening here but I'd really like to see ome finished digital stuff, than would be cool!

Keep at it, mate!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baaaaaaaack...

@Purb: That's actually supposed to be a griffon but I so ruined the anatomy and the pose that it isn't very obvious anymore i guess. I wanted to lay the focus on the figure as a whole, so no more details for the head. Became bored with it very soon so I stopped (Fuck that concentration-Problem of mine ) Thanks for posting!

@Tetsuo: You're right man! I should have stressed some contours... well next time fo' sure! Thanks!

@Gloominati: Yeah, I plan to do some finished shit sometime. Just gonna get me some skillz first!

WTF I nearly killed my SB during the week and by the end it will be totally out of pages! (65 pages in 5 days... well they are A5 after all...), so I won't post them all here, don't worry

But, nonetheless, a quick documentation of the week:

First the usual shiznit:

decided those looklike utter crap so I did studies like this one:

Decided those where even worse so I returned to hardcore-figuredrawing to get the rythm, line-confidentiality and whatever. Let the markers aside for now.

some random picks:

Feet:

Life-drawing (Like this one because of the girls hair.)

and awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy........

Last edited by ~Faust~; March 18th, 2006 at 05:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, thats good, that you are self detrmined to make such things.
    I like those 'monsters' with 6 arms

In drawing a female, I'll advice you to make longer lines to show the smoothnes of body... but it's you style, so you don't have to change it
    Secondly I don't thing those proportions are good (maybe for liliputs) legs are way to short for me. look on this:
    (the second model was corrected to feet to your style

P.S. you have one double picture (second and third)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Denysiuk: Yeah those legs of mine bother me for quite a while now... good thing that I'm studying legs more extensivly now. ALso, I begin my figures with the legs now. Catastrophy I tell you!

Whatever, speed-enviro-thing:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo dude, i like the environment that you made...its like titanic or something, before it gets hit by the iceberg. for your figures, i think it would help you if you did underdrawings and used construction lines before you start a picture. that way you can get the proportions right and then draw overtop of the correct proportions. and definitely keep working proportions; the 7th and 9th pages of the previous updat are drawn with legs that are reeeeeeally short. too short, even. keep working on those, and look back over them after you draw so that you can notice your mistakes and correct them in future drawings.

my redrawings of your banner, composition slightly changed: first alternative, 2nd alternative
    that's just MY take on it; you dont have to follow it, i just wanted to show you how not cutting off the guy on the far right would open up the picture some more. take care dude, keep up the draw.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, heaps of great new stuff! I see you've been working really hard.

I really like the movement and colours of the gryphon (yes, I could tell it was a gryphon), although I think the claws look a bit off.

Lots of great gestures, although I agree with the others about the leg proportions. Besides the shortness, you also seem to do a lot of people with very thick thights but very thin calves, which to me makes them look very breakable.

I really love the speed-enviro-thing, to me it looks more like a desert city in the middle of a sandstorm The feeling of movement in the strokes is great, and the city silhouette makes it very mysterious.

SSG No. 17

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that speed enviro is really cool...
    really good quick studies too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, enviroment looks quite good good colors...
    BUT I will better tell what I don't like ok?
    1. highlights on those buildings are the same it makes them look borig
    2. towers are twisted, hooked on right
    3. Thise mountail looks rather like an material not rock....
    but it's ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheepidybump

@purb: Thanks for the thumbs! I wanted to abandon this project, but now I might return to it

@Chisa: Thx Yeah, legs bugging me like refrigerator sounds. You got the points for recognising the sceme for the enviro tho

@TheGnoll: Thanks man!

@Denysiuk: Well I screwed up the composition majorly on this one. I still have soooooooo much to learn

update:

Well, quick enviros, like the one before, just shittier:

Wanted to get some perspective into this one... failed utterly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick creature thing b4 work (You know you love them red glowing eyes!)

Last edited by ~Faust~; March 21st, 2006 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I see wrong: every part of 'him' seems to be separate. Put some light and shadow here&there to connect those parts... You know, you are cutting away torso, arms and face... and whole guy.... don't make too strong contrasts on a whole side, find some places, where light is a bitt stronger and show something.
    Play with Burn Tool it can help you... have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm, I dont know were i saw it or heard it, but
    you seem to be painting with pretty small brushes..
    use big brushes at start to get the shape, and use the small ones
    for details and refineing :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay my head didn't explode

@Denysiuk: Yeah, I see that now, too. I wasn't really much knowing what I was doing Man, you guys learn to paint in PS and all that art-shit so much faster than me. I'm kind of feeling like staying behind.

@Dile: Very good idea Thanks.

Need to work with refs more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yummy, the speed enviro thing from march 18th is cool. Keep it up brother!

Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6