Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 91 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    @algenpfleger: thanks bro, hearing that from your mouth emans I definately don't have to worry too mch about skintones right now

@lennon: hmmmm, where am I a complete master of the figure? Now _that's_ news to me! Anyways, thanks for stopping by mate!

@Jamesy: Now that you mention it, there are quite a lot eurpoeans postig in my SB. There's nothing superior about knowing other languages though. It's all a matter of exposure, language in highschool is only to keep teachers busy, you normally don't learn any language there, even if you want to. On the other hand, I just speak 5 languages, so what the hell do I know?

@Ssimulacral: Wow you must be really new to the forums if you're impressed by my scetches! Influences, huh? Well, I don't know, telling others what to read always ends up a desaster when I do it. My nick does come from the B-movie Faust-love of the damned, which was the kind of flick i used to watch back in my teeny-hood. I also happened o watch every zombi-movie I could grasp my hands on, so that might be nice too. Also read Goethe and other classical stuff, I guess that doesn't hurt if you read that. When it comes to artists, I try to stay open and get influeced by whatever environment I am in. Right now, it is mostly dutch painters from the golden age of dutch painting (Vermeer, Verspronk, Hals, Rembrandt, Steen, etc) and russian art (Siemiradski, repin, shishkin, Vrubel, etc) also, fantasy illustrators from the 70ies/80ies (tim white, boris valejo, john berkey, frazetta) just to give you some names Oh, the artists on this site have also a not minor influence on me I have to say.

Well it's kind of an early update but I am so fucking tired this weather is killing me...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmmm I see that in times like these, it would be nice to have a comfort zone, some kind of subject you're so habituated to draw that you can still be satysfied by your drawings because you can do those in your sleep. Unfortunately that's not the path I've chosen. Whenever I saw something worked out fine I moved on to another subject to struggle further. I think I will make retangles and curves my comfort-zone in the future. Until then, I'll post even now to document my efforts and to remind myself that there's so much struggle involved in this and the less inspired the times, the more it is important to keep pushing, I can still paint pretty pictures when my digis have comes into their thousands.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Hey. Happy Brithday! You have come a really long way since your first posts on CA. Now it's just speed of light. I barely manage to keep up with those updates.
    Gotta meet on some workshop and form european dream team .

Hmmm I see that in times like these, it would be nice to have a comfort zone, some kind of subject you're so habituated to draw that you can still be satysfied by your drawings because you can do those in your sleep. Unfortunately that's not the path I've chosen. Whenever I saw something worked out fine I moved on to another subject to struggle further.
    That's me too. It's harder path but I think more rewarding. Ultimately all your approaches to drawing improve no matter which one you choose to try. It might be slower but it can lead to more refined style.
    Look at sketchbook in old version of el coro's website - http://v2.coro36ink.com/main.html
    He's basicly trying everything it always comes out really good. I visit this link from time to time for inspiration.

The silhouette figures are really nice exercise. It might improve your design sense too. Colors are getting better too.

http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1212880556

I see in this one you struggled to get the brightest colors on body. Instead you could darken the background or build your form with shadows rather than light.

Industrial landscape pics are really cool.

Thanks
    @Farvus: Wow, thank you pal! After posting here over the period of 3 years, I think there is the one or the other thing that stuck after all , yeah we should definately team up on one of them workshops mate! I'd love to do some collab with you as well, what about it? Wanna fill up some matte-painting lanscape, you provide the buildings I provide the trees?

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, I guess we are both slowly swinging towards awesome! Though it seems you still have the bigger momentum

today was my birthday, yay! Managed to do exactly 1 colorstudy, lol

Thanks
    Wow, you are working very hard, and the better part, it seems to be paying off well

The B/W portraits on the last page were well done, I would like to see you do a whole lot more of those

Thanks
    what brushes do you use?
    it seems that you cannot work with the brushes you used until now.

try some soft edged brushes first wich are smooth to get the hang out of value.

greetings

keep at it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    whooo happy birthday dude! keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Happy birthday with late! : )
    This is my present!
    Keep working as hard as you do, and many thanks for your kind words.
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Prepare for Overkill!

@Lakka: Thanks man, you mean the masterstudies?

@Haxxxor: Hmm I can't figure out what you mean, what do soft edged brushes have to do with value? Anyways, thanks for visitng always a pleasure and please update your scetchbook

@algenpfleger: Thank you!

@Clochette: Aww such a sweet fox you gave me! Thank you so very much!!!

Have gotten a scanner for birthday, so I'll scan in my complete scetchbook up to now. I have it maybe 1.5 months or so, it is my 4th this year. This is unfiltered, so I didn't try to filter out pages with mere mind-diarreah, so please don't complain. I wouldn't care anyways.

I am gonna kill your internets, sorry!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Oooh massive scanning!!!
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Hi ~Faust~,

Just wanted to stop by and say you got some real cool work. Those 10 second studies are all brilliant and inspiring. Woah...I think your scanner might hate you after all that scanning Love those drawings man. Yup, I'm keeping my eyes out here.

Thanks
    haha that's definitely a big batch of stuff you've got going on in your last update

One thing I have noticed throughout each and every page is that you really really really tend to rush things. I KNOW that you can better, as much as I KNOW that you are able to do some clean hatching (as hard as it might sound, even a child is able to draw parralell, clean lines to render in a clean, not necessarily right but at least in a clean way.) I am telling you this because I do not see any artistic sense in scribbling in a background tone in your drawings, it simply shows that you rush things, which is cool from time to time to let the mind go crazy, but honestly dude, you do it in 98% of your stuff you post in here and in 99% of the stuff you have posted in your last update. Sorry but I do not know what else to say than that it breaks my heart knowing that you can do better and than see you posting stuff like this. I just don't know the "why" behind all of it. Right now I can just conclude your attitude towards your drawings/art in general.
    This is really NOT meant to be a big fat rant but it makes me sincerely sad to see you surpressing your personal improvement with things that a child could do if it took the time to do it right. It is such an easy thing to do things in a clean way. it is such an easy thing to erase a line if you screwed up and draw another one, repeating this process so long till you get the right line. And it is such an easy thing to draw a lot of clean parralell lines to render an object in a clean way and to grab the eraser if you screwed up doing so. Again: This is not about doing things right, rendering in a RIGHT way and putting a RIGHT line down is not easy and the ultimate goal when it comes to technical perfection, my comment is all about bein CLEAN, which is SO important and SO easy just because its 90% dependend on attitude and not on skill.

And again: no offense included, these were just my two cents, you are doing good, but you could do so much better just within a second, if you switched your attitude.
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloominati For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    ~Faust~ - Heh. Collab matte-painting would be hard but why not. We love challanges .
    The pencil sketches look much better than what I saw before. It's hard to say when looking at those but I think you go into rendering too early. Try to explore the form more with line and later it will be much easier to see the planes in rendering stage. Maybe use some darker accents in some places to make the form pop up more. I'd also try doing more ink stuff.

Gloominati - I don't fully agree. There is always place for more careful drawing but rendering stuff doesn't just involve drawing parallel lines. You need to be completely sure about the planes you're rendering, plan how to overlap rendering lines to model the form and how to use the value scale of graphite to get the best result. If you're not entirely sure this insecurity often shows up as a bit rushed drawing. Also trying to draw too clean makes you too careful and you don't explore the form that much which leads to really stiff drawings. There will never be perfect balance between spontaneity and being careful but you can take many different paths to get closer to this.
    Last edited by Farvus; June 11th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    farvus- yeah sure, and that is the thing I think I have mentioned several times in my post: I said that all my concern is about how clean one should work and about how much thought one should spend on what one is doing when he is drawing. I excluded everything that is about "actually doing it right". of course hatching is not ONLY about parrallel lines, and of course it is good to experiment with everything. BUT as shitty as ones values might be, as shitty as ones anatomy might be, one thing that can be avoided very very easily is to rush things and to be messy!! I thought I pointed that out very clearly. Everything you said is right, but did not refer to my comment.
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    @Clochette: Yep

@Trashy: Hehe well that was some kind of test wether that thing is durable Thanks for stopping by!

@Gloominati: I am sorry man, I know you are just throwing in your 2cents and it is for me to take or leave your comment. But honestly all that your post is doing to me is feeling bad about me, my attitude and consequently, my art. The worst being that remark that you somehow know that I can do better. That is the kind of shit that would make me stop right now if I wouldn't love drawing so much. Because is shows that there's no improvement, but in fact, deterioration, since I did better in the past.
    What makes you think that I do not put anything into my lines? here's 3 examples of that 99% trash where I actually took my time to render and really tried to do it right:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1213053401
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1213053552
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1213053835
    Is it that you don't like my stuff? honestly, i can understand that, I wouldn't look at it either, in fact, I am my biggest critic and I have no problem in burning and giving away my old scetchbooks but blatantly saying that a random child can do the same is pretty rude, dude. I fucking do this stuff for a littel more than 3 years now! What the hell do you expect? I am no fucking wonderchild and everything I do is trial and error. Not to mention that I get zero help from my environment, It has been exactly 4 months since the last time I heard a valuable advice about how I could improve my linework. Everything else since then has basically been the question "Why don't you do it like me?". I know there's people all over who want to help me out, but for one, my family doesn't know jack shit about technical aspects of making visual arts and my aquaintances in Berlin are rehearsing advices they got in artschool without giving me poiners about why I should follow them. A good example being them repeatedly telling me to go big with drawings because that somehow is the way to go. I made fucking A4 and even A3 Drawings. I hate them, I hate this format and I don't get any technical insight from them that I couldn't get smaller too. If someone tells me to do things that make the process to a living hell I need GOOD reasons to follow them.

Yours is exactly that kind of advice. Telling e to erase every line that I feel is not fitting right is the same as telling me to stay on the first page of my scetchbook and never let any mark stay there. Because yes, my drawings are that bad. On the other hand, there's times I do erase a lot in order to get a line that suits me. here's an example: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1213053732 I sonstantly erased lines because I wanted to get expressinve gestures being describes as a single line. You don't get that? Of course not, I suck! But this is a study and the next time, I'll make it better! Just to see wether you have a point I made like 2 drawings today, the left is following your advice and erasing a lot, putting a lot of effort in making all kind of neat parrallel lines. It was a drag. Not only does the result look dead, stiff and incorrect, I didn't even remotely managed to still get my lines clean. On the other side, the result is not much better, but at least I had much mroe fun doing it, exploring possiblities, values and my fantasy without sticking to a small little piece of the piece.

I am sorry that I may go a bit far with that response, but I am in a state of mind right now that makes me pretty vulnerable to that kind of talk. I am full of doubts and afraid as fuck of the path I have chosen. Will I make it as an artist? Probably not, My efforts are pointless childplay, as you pointed out as well, but damn I will follow this because the only thing that I am more afraid is not doing what I grew to love more than anything else.

I appreciate your honesty though and maybe my ego is just to fragile while I am being too passionate.

@Farvus: Thank for the advice man, I think I need to do more ink-stuff (aka gel-pen but psssssssst!) Also I agree on the pancil one, there's more than hatching to it, and the stiffness-trap is indeed a tricky thing!

@Gloominati: I already said it, but I will summarize i once more, I know i am messy, but that's nothing to do with style, it's because I suck.

anyways, more pointless drawing-attempts, as always...

Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 91 ... LastLast