Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 39
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1378

Thread: Faust's Relaxation Exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work Faust i want give you 5 star too cause many drawing inspire me

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work dude. Your tonal paintings and drawings are off the hook! Your linework is very nice as well, I love the scribbley look but you've still got control. Well done.

MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dile_: Thanks man! tat would suck if you couldn't come I hope you get around that somehow. On the other hand, there will be events we can meet up in the future, for sure!

@Darktwin: Hey so long not seen brother! You remember our old SSG? Heh, you've grown so much since then, I can feel humbled by your compliments, indeed!

@EKOes: Thanks, I like that one as well

@dwardo: Gotta live up to your title then! Hehe, just dare, man! You're better than you think.

@towy: Wow thank you! Although I'm so not there yet. 4 stars define me pretty well I think. Not that I give that much about the star-system..... well honestly I do Thanks for the vote!

@Ookchk: Thank you! I've been struggling with ines since the very beginning and people were _always_ telling my linework is too messy. Thanks for the confidence-boost! I will try harder!

Not much for today, I was busy drawing stuff for an upcoming fair, so a masterstudy (I know, it's waaaay off, whatever)
    Name:  Digi488.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  27.3 KB

And a scribble from my scetchbook that I actually like.
    Name:  Scan789.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  99.2 KB
    God I need to hone my pencil-skills ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Jamesy is offline Kevin Durant's Manstalker Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely portrait dude, keep up the hard work!

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook Faust!! Really nice sketches and studies here! Liking your treatment / use o graphite. Likin the ink sketches scattered about too, and that last portrait is great!
    Post #1136: BEST enviro ever!! Hehe, .

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawings are freekn great! want moar!!^^ paintings are looking lovely to

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~ you RRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! your amazing your pen an pencils are incridable an your digital.... even your inanimate objects seem to have a life or feeling to them really inspiring work... an you brought this on your self i will be back alot more mmwwwWWWHHHAAAA HAA HAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh wow is that a rembrandt? i really like to blueish around her eyes there. Makes me wanna do a coloured rembrandt studie to . It really seems you're making some serious progress man! I especially like this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1243973426
    or those from ref or life? good values!
    one thing though,,your drawing seems to have a lot of 'little lines', too much detailing going on. as mister hageman said to me, an artist should use as less lines as possible, always look for the big shapes. kinda depends on what kind of drawing you want, but too many lines makes it look muddy. this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1243973783 is an excellent example, really suprised to see you do that! think for every line! anyways, keep this updating up!

frank

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Faust! I'm so glad to have you back! I got an email notification some days ago about your SB being updated, I meant to come and comment sooner but had some busy days.
    And yeah, I signed up for the art exchange thing too--actually sent you a PM earlier today with my info

Anyway, I'm just glad to see you cleared your head. I undestand that, I too had to pause from CA for some months earlier this year, if you remember. It's odd, although CA is usually this great source of wisdom to me, it's like it can work against you, doesn't it? I mean, sometimes when I'm drawing I find myself wondering if I'm just doing this to have more sketches in my next update, or whether I'm actually trying to learn something from the process. It just gets confusing at times, no wonder you had to get some fresh air and get your priorities straight. Glad you managed to do that.

That aside---I'm really impressed with your latest work here! Now, I don't want to put any unwanted pressure on you, but, I can sense improvement in your sketches. I know you said you felt like regular life drawing wasn't as helpful as you would've liked, but they seem more confident to me. I think it's mainly your shading and values, but I think also your overall anatomy is improving. So maybe the regular life drawing doesn't show off instant-awesome-improvement like you were possibly expecting, but I think it's filling up some little spots in your foundation and making it more solid.

I love your style-exploration and digital studies. The masterstudy (Rembrandt..?) has some beautiful skin tones! Nevermind if it isn't identical to the original, it seems like you put a lot of thought it into and you did some tight rendering, so I'm sure you learned plenty from it. Which is the whole point

Bah, sorry about the long babble! I just realized how much I've missed your updates now. I hope you'll updates will become more regular now!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. It's nice see you back. I love your new animated moon icon next to your sketchbook.

Yeah. CA can sometimes give unnecessary pressure. On the other hand all those posts about you being acceptable draftsman are not so much exaggerated. Of course there are still many areas which you could improve but at the same time art in your sketchbook has this certain liveliness which is pleasing to watch.
    You're not the only person to notice the anatomy is hard thing to grasp . It can be learned forever actually and never'll never be satisfied with it. I think certain repetition helps even though it can be a bit robotic and laborous.

Your latest art show exactly what you pointed out. Bigger amount of patience. I especially like your inks. The big picture with ship and also the one with wooden beams. From portraits in post #1128 I see that you avoid drawing necks a bit. If you're struggling with some part when drawing from memory it's the best moment to analyze some reference. I believe it's easier to get rid of mistakes when they are memorable (like erasing till there is hole in paper ) or when you stop and really think it through. Then you see how it is done properly and you'll remember that for the rest of your life .

Clouds and master study nicely rendered. In the last character drawing the dark line on the upper lip makes it look like she has spanish mustache. The one like here -> http://flashyourstache.files.wordpre...8/01/zorro.gif. Lips are generally hard to achieve with contours. It's better to approach them purely with values. I also I see a small thing here that IanMcCaig mentioned. When you reach the end of the paper, you unconsciously try to avoid edges and drawing gets skewed proportions. Like for example her legs got very short. To avoid that you can put blank piece of paper and just continue drawing. Other method for full figure sketch is to mark the whole height on paper, divide it properly and draw on top of that.

Good job overall. Just don't worry about quantity when posting art. To me personally 10 awesome drawings/paintings are usually much better than 100 doodles.

Cheers.

EDIT: I just noticed...Happy Birthday!!!

Last edited by Farvus; June 8th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Faust,
    Thanks for dropping by and for your support of my SB.
    Nice work on this:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1244243525
    And your rendering strength is definitely there.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1236423449
    Just read your comment on "You feel what you draw" Excellent! Something I've been made to think about, lately is to "satisfy the sense of touch" in all drawings. Really interesting to see how different folks approach this.
    Sorry, Faust, I think you are a visual person. There's no way you can draw without this quality.
    To sense and feel the width & depth without touching is a form of visualization. Kinda cool to do this without being aware.
    Also think you can apply the principles of volume and design, before you fully understand anatomy. Volume is simple perspective and a learnable technique as applied to the figure. Think of cylinders turning in space. If you can draw that, you can draw limbs and trunks in perspective.
    Values, which includes shading, should only reinforce the design AND help further explain the shape(s) you've drawn. Keep a purpose in mind for all your strokes. Analytical thinking is easier for some, just as feeling an object in your mind, is not so easy for others. However, don't exclude one over the other. All are acquirable and will only add to your drawings.
    Hope my 2 cents doesn't bother you too much.
    I just know that the more concepts you have available to you the more power your creative work will have.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAPPY late BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Faust,
    Thanks for dropping by and for your support of my SB.
    Nice work on this:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1244243525
    And your rendering strength is definitely there.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1236423449
    Just read your comment on "You feel what you draw" Excellent! Something I've been made to think about, lately is to "satisfy the sense of touch" in all drawings. Really interesting to see how different folks approach this.
    Sorry, Faust, I think you are a visual person. There's no way you can draw without this quality.
    To sense and feel the width & depth without touching is a form of visualization. Kinda cool to do this without being aware.
    Also think you can apply the principles of volume and design, before you fully understand anatomy. Volume is simple perspective and a learnable technique as applied to the figure. Think of cylinders turning in space. If you can draw that, you can draw limbs and trunks in perspective.
    Values, which includes shading, should only reinforce the design AND help further explain the shape(s) you've drawn. Keep a purpose in mind for all your strokes. Analytical thinking is easier for some, just as feeling an object in your mind, is not so easy for others. However, don't exclude one over the other. All are acquirable and will only add to your drawings.
    Hope my 2 cents doesn't bother you too much.
    I just know that the more concepts you have available to you the more power your creative work will have.
    i really love what AztcFireFlower is saying here, i totally agree with him on this one. your knowledge of anatomy doesnt have to be great to draw a good figure.. its just what you wantto tell to the audience that matters... so you can still leave legs as being cilinders.. he will fill in the anatomy himself

anyways, i love the masterstudy faust, the colors are niiiice

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Jamesy: Thanks man! Although you should credit that to Rembrandt, hehe

@MacTire: Wow thank you for your neice words doing the cloudscape felt really relaxing, too. I'm glad it had some dort of impact on you!

@DStraX: Why don't _you_ make more? I mean, I draw mediocre at best, you can entertain yourself so much better! Just keep on trying!

@ Grandmassa Mr. Spect: You RRRRRRRRROoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOcKKKKK!!

@Frank Gressie: Wow thanks man! I see you have developed very nicely the last weeks, you are so relentless @_@ It would be an honor to learn together with you from september, I just hope I can cram up the funds for it, nothings for sure . Anyways, congratulations man, you really deserve the treatment they give you and I honestly believe that noone compares to you in regards to drive and skill, not even the teachers hehe.
    I strongly have to disagree on your line-statement, though, since it smells like dogma all over. You see, if you assume that , then the ultimate drawing style would be technical blueprints. Maybe that's a bit excessive, but you see, we can't all be Picassos and Toulouse-Lautrecs man! It may be that for some it comes easy to put it in one line and even desirable to do so, but for me drawing is a struggle and I make so many mistakes it's not even funny. Sometimes I seriously doubt I learned anything at all in those years but keep on fighting relentlessly with the paper up to and even beyond the point where it brakes, I want to win the fight still. putting everything in one line, maxing out the information is sometimes a nice exercise, but it isn't fun for me to do so. I like random lines squibbling all over the place and false construction lines showing where I made stupid decisions, I stand behind them. Yes, I doubt my proces all the time and try to be more economic, but honestly, I set myself a line espescially when it comes to filling up my scetchbook because I consider filling up my scetchbook the most fun part of my journey. That said, what do you think about the scetches of artists like Rembrandt, van Gogh, Käthe Kollwitz, Rodin, Bosz, etc ? Do they all suck because they don't fit the critereas? Also, what about Rich Pellegrino: http://gorillaartfare.com/wp-content...d-9-10_web.jpg and Luke Hollis: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tchpad-273.jpg (To pull 2 CA-artists as examples)

I think you're oversimplifying and limiting yourself by basing your foundation on such dogmatic principles which is a shame because you really are so much better than me already and you could really be great in a short ammout of time. Also, those drawings are indeed life-drawings

@AsaB: Hey Asa, you are so sweet again! Make some crits, woman, my work CAN't be that good! Espescially considering your radical improvement lately. You gotta give me some pointers here, no fair

@ Farvus: Hey Farvus, you're right about your last statement, but considering I do this scetchbook as a means to document my wobbly path for myself I stay with bad doodle for now, hehe.
    Also, you analysis is right on the spot again, I really see that I avoid using reference too much although I often have questions in regards of anatomical relations. It's a reallyreally bad habit which I don't know yet to overcome, maybe I'll use my Bridgman more I don't know. Anyways, your crits are always spot on and appreciated man, I hope you're fine there in Poland, heard there's some natural desasters going on over there.

@ AztcFireFlower: Everything you said is spot on and I lack the strength to reply like you deserve too. Just kow that I'm still a big fan of your work and I really try to make those cylinders and cubes Really!

@Grandmassa Mr. Spect: Woooooooooo!

@Teh Gosu: Yesss, you are making leaps, my friend, I'm watching your progres closely and anxiously

Anyways, the reason that I didn't update was because there was much stuff going on during the end of the year, they accepted me to the next year, which is nice to know, since wasn't sure I would be good enough. Also, vacation has stopped me from updating, but now I'm back again and can provide myself with the exibitionistic satisfaction everyone of us so desperately craves!

Speedies, failed drawings, studies and scetches:

Attached Images Attached Images                          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the speedie from your latest update with the building and the head has a great surreal feel to it! also those tonal studies and figures are really nice. keep up the good work, dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey faust,
    your lines are your style, don't have any problems with that! i guess i like clean sketches more, just my opinion. sketches from rembrandt makes me wet my pants bigtime. And i don't think sketches need a criteria, afterall, sketches are not ment to be masterpieces.
    i dig your ink drawings with the crosshatching and the figures in ink!
    keep filling up your sketchbooks

frank

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work Faust!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arc: Thanks man! I was fidgeting on that drawing for quite some time! Trying to make little forms, get the lighting right and all that jazz but in the process it became very tedious. I think I need a good scetch and plan before I can begin a long illustration because whenever I make decisions on the fly like in this cse i find them to be too random so that they don't belong into the big picture anymore. I'm glad it somehow pleases you, though

@Frank Gressie: Heh, don't sweat it, man! I guess I always get defensive when I get the impression that somebody says what and how I draw is wrong. I'm glad we're on the same page here, nice to have you mate!

@Lyno: Wow, thank you very much! Stopped by your scetchbook, you seem to be exercising quite nicely yourself!

Stuff from yesterday I didn't put up

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe..
    Great update man!!!
    Really nice work on the digis, though I must admit I thought that the 3rd image in post #1154 was a mecha of sorts.. sorry .
    Nice work on the traditional sketches and studies too. I really like your treatment of the hatching in pen and pencil in your second last post.
    The only crit I can think of now is maybe to wath the forms in those mini cast studies, to me the craniums seem a little off, sorta squashed on different axis'.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive new work!

I've been looking real closely at your pencilwork and I think it needs some loosening-up. Some of the lines look almost scribbly and are often quite short. I'd love to see bolder and longer lines! I'm sure you can do it just fine, once you get into it. It just seems as if you're often a bit too caught up in the details and maybe just drawing too small in general. I think it's quite evident in this one, especially in her hair. Be more decisive. I think the subtle shading in her face is lovely, however!

So that was me trying to crit your stuff, as asked

I think your colours are becoming really strong. I love the mood and textures you used here. Beeeautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this is just something that jumps out right off, your noses seem to be a bit long. Also, I notice that you have a lack of males in your art.

Your linework is great though, it has this random, searching pattern going on.
    Have you any interest in character design or anything?
    I haven't seen many of YOUR designs coming out, it's mainly just from ref / master study. Are you going for fine art? Or are you going for game design or something of the like? If I remember right, you were saying you wouldn't mind game design, but I could be wrong.

Lets start to see some stuff come outta the imagination.

Of course on top of the studies. I dunno... just a thought.

One thing that you are definitely good at (and it shows above) is the environment design. I REALLY like that face temple thing above. It looks very unique.

Anyway, just for now. Lets see more later. Have fun!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ MacTire: Wow thank you! Why are you sorry? I see something mechanical in there as well!

@AsaB: Great critique! I knew you could do it, hehe. Yeah, more decisive lines. Kind of hard if you draw akimbo But I'll try harder, promise!

@Matte_Art: Yo wazzzup!

Abstract crap been modelling all day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Faust! Sooo good to see an update from you again, as I've missed your updates in the past months! You're an inspiration to me, how hard you work and how motivated you are. Your figure drawing has shown massive improvements in the last few posts and your sketches are coming along nicely. Only crit I could give is to keep pushing those values. Don't be afraid to go dark where it's needed, as some of your sketches (especially those face portraits) are a little flat. Hope to see more from you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KILLER WICKED' GONZO UPDATES!!!!! your colors choices ROCK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm loving the higher saturated shadows and reflected lighty goodness i'm seeing from you. i LOVE that stuff! really liking that sunset on the rocks picture. you're doing good man, keep it all up!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck! Your killing it in here man!! Such good work!

Thanks for stoping by my sb as well man, givin' ya 5*!

Cheers,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @xinleh: Hey great to see you back man! I'll definately leave some love at your new SB. Thanks for the visit!

@Grandmassa Mr. Spect: Thanks man! Always a breeze of fresh air You're killing it lately!

@ purb36: Thx Aaron, although I try not to think too much. Theory in art is something I tend to apply if something goes _wrong_ the rest is guts although the guts hav ebeen fed with juicy studies all the time

@JailHouseRock2:Hey, I don't remember having stopped by your SB lately, but I sure did now, sweet shit man! Your improvement is off the charts!

Today I tried to be analytical

Last edited by ~Faust~; July 1st, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn nice studies and sketches! I specially like 1154 & 1143 (post numbers!) Keep them coming!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm glad you found my attempt at a critique helpful

Love your latest sketches! Especially the full body figures, I think your anatomy is coming along nicely. I see more struggling in your heads, however, sometimes the facial features don't seem to sit correctly, especially in the more rendered ones. It's not as evident in the quicker one, I think! But hey, your dedication and progress is almost tangible, can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @GriNGo: Wow thanks man! You're a great artist, your input is really much apprechiated!

@AsaB: Hey Asa! Yeah I really really stll struggle with structure. Something I try to wrap my mind about, I'm trying dozens of tutorials, I copy all kinds of masters, but it still didn't click. I still mess up within the perspective. Well, back to cubes and balls I guess

Today I came back from a short holiday, that's why I didn't update.

Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7