Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 37
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1378

Thread: Faust's Relaxation Exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one is great
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1232927505

im very curious about what yur goiing to do with it, i thought you said you were bad at iD stuff, well where did you learn this? im not able pull this shit off man haha

all other updates are nice aswell, especially the one under the robot has potential, i like the face... keep it up

ps, in my sketchbook i added some earlier designs of the art nouveau vac cleaner, showing more swooshy design stuffz

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely orange.

structure...i meant structure of your face when you do sps. you got value and everything down, need to work on placing and shaping your features. keep it up, man.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey faust! 37 pages...jeezz hope i'll will get that lol
    just here to say that you're on the right way! the only 'crit' is, it seems like you're rush things to much, like the bargue studies, these things were ment to studie for a week orso, correct me if i'm wrong. I think when you do something and really go for it, the work is clearly better and cleaner! something i still have to learn, like, really sit for a work for 2 weeks straight, that way you learn so much more about your own skills, or where you stand in the skill level haha. anyway you're doing fine! 5*

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you bastard telling me I'm talented and your pulling off such insane stuff!!!
    reeeaally great studies man, i mean top notch!

and i enjoyed so darn much so artistic and full of truth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You seriously need to change the name of this thread to "Faust's (too much) Relaxation Sketchbook"
    No updates for so long? I'm like looking at subscriptions page every day, every minute with hope for some badass new art from you but there is only blank space. Where is that daily fix? I'm dying here!

Last edited by Farvus; February 12th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    You seriously need to change the name of this thread to "Faust's (too much) Relaxation Sketchbook"
    No updates for so long? I'm like looking at subscriptions page every day, every minute with hope for some badass new art from you but there is only blank space. Where is that daily fix? I'm dying here!
    Echo echo echo... : <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, how are you doing? Thought it was time to take a closer look at your sketchbook, and I like what I see. Keep up the good work! This one is interesting: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1232756540 I like it.

Cya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still human... DAMMIT!

Well I've got like a month between the updates, I thought I would go out, ejoy life and somehow mutate into an awesome art-god inbetween since that seems to be the vibe going on lately around here. While I waited I burned through something like 200 pages worth of scetchbooks, but not hasted haha I just like to do silly quick scetches while my hands are free and I definately enjoy those little scetches alot. Polished stuff is for the polish

Anyways, thank you for looking at my stuff and even more those of you who took the time to write a word or two. It's always much apprechiated, thank you very much!

Of couse, I'll answer you personally:

WhiteC: Dude, you're one of the rockin' Cs from CA there is nothing you could do for me lol, you already made everything right choosing that username hehe Thanks for the kind words!

jedininjaman: Hmmm it was a failed study because its proportions very fuckd up The second try went much better and now I'm finally going over to do some really long casts.

Gliederpuppe: Kein Problem Alter Thx!

TASmith: Whoah that's so long ago I don't know just wanted to let them be together compositionally I guess. It was really more something of a metal-study and I tried to design armors but I wasn't really pleased with the result. Thx for the compliment for my drawings

Helioth: Dude, I'll write you a PM just after I'm finished with this mammoth-update

Teh Gosu: Thanks man! You're definately making progres and working on pretty important stuff over there in your SB! Should be doing the smae but I'm too lazy HAHAHA!

purb36: Ya I know but frankly, the 3D-part of art only becomes fun for me when I can apply light and shade. Making lines for perspective and structure is booooooooooring. But I know I should do that, but it's no fun . Wish I had your tenacity man!

Frank: hey there! 37 pages? It's not that much, I'm just not switching over to new threads, I think that's a very bad internet-habit that gives the impression we could somehow erase the past... Also, I'm used to this thread now so I'll stick with it. It's lenght isn't an achievement at all however. I really really really dig your stuff though, would like to hang out sometime to scetch or something, but it's okay, my skilllevel isn't as good as yours and I just would be the one draining all the knowledge out of you like I do with Merlin hehe Cheers buddy!

Hygami: Ahaha, liar! Thanks for staying mang!

Farvus: hehe, I'm sorry to dissappoint That's why I'll make fixed dates for the next update. I chose not to update daily anymore because, well I already send you a PM about that I just recon...

Helioth: ...

Merlin: Heh, I could think that with you studying at that fine-art resort hehe It was just a little study on planes, values and composition though. Still suck at all of them! Damn I wish I had your patience when it comes to rendering! See ya around master!

Went to Berlin and Kassel the last days, was a very nice experience, thanks again Helioth for providing me with food, shelter and good company! Wnt to Marco's place but that was kind of anti-climatic. Got sent away like the creepy fanboy that I am Kassel was awesome,though, went to Rotopol and that place is dope. Very relaxed people and masterful art Next time I'll come back with more money probably hehe

Oh yeah there's art too, or at least some pictures...

First off some of the scetches from the moleskine, that I finished:
    Name:  Scan755.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  443.8 KB

My current scetchbook is a 400-pages book with horrible paper. A reason for me to scetch more so that I can get over to a better Scetchbook

Name:  Scan756.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  521.1 KB
    Name:  Scan757.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  523.8 KB
    Name:  Scan758.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  476.3 KB
    Name:  Scan761.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  311.0 KB

Then some photos of the latest Life-drawing session (seems like the current Linux-kernel DOES recognise my camera! Awesome!

Name:  Scan759.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  408.3 KB

Also an environment-ink I have lying around here for a long time already:

Name:  Scan760.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  104.5 KB

Digital:

First 2 poor tech-designs, I feel like I have to learn a lot here still. One is the "finished" version of a scetch posted earlier:

Name:  Digi473.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  100.3 KB
    Name:  Digi479.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  61.5 KB

Some studies:

Name:  Digi474.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  22.3 KB
    Name:  Digi475.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  25.9 KB
    Name:  Digi477.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  22.4 KB

And Illustrations. My TD-entry seems to have gotten some votes which is vey flattering but I really rushed this one in the end and had to quit because I went to my trip to Germany. Gax should have made it You should all go vote if you didn't already!

Name:  Digi476.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  72.1 KB
    Name:  Digi478.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  97.0 KB
    Name:  Digi480.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  74.4 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh interesting studies going on, specially the condom one.

really like your painting tis good ^_^

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweeeeeeet stuff man, the pure amount of your sketches is inspiring! Good job at the materials too! keep pushing dude o_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol it's good to see the condom isn't used quite yet.

the bots look great too.

looks like you had a lot of fun in berlin!

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Insane amount of drawings very inspiring!

I really like the one in the Chinese tea-house, great colours.

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the last two are... wow! veryyy nice work, the amount of sketches .. just pure gold how sweet of you to be holding the next update on my birthday keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your colors and values are getting better and better with each and every update, great work man. Maybe you should concentrate more on form,shape and proportion when using a pencil, don't bother too much about rendering, sometimes it seems that your pencilrendering is distracting you from the actual drawing.
    Good work you're going the right way, keep it up!!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "DUUUUUDE!!"

Still think your stuff looks better on paper.

And in case I didn't make it plain; nice digitals.

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    faust man your truly pulling it of loving your dedication man, keep on posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. Very interesting. Faust - Badass Painting Unit .

Agree with Gloominati on sketching though. Especially if you want to design stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faust, these rock! You seem to be simplifying the forms more efficiently than ever before. The environment ink is a great start, but it would help to get more darks in there.

The TD entry is great, even if you ran out of time. I had more time and still didn't get efficient simple forms, values, and colors like yours. You truly are improving, so please post more!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff,
    Your pencils and digitals are very nice, do you also use other trad media? Acrylics or oils? The digitals kind of remind me of the style so I thought maybe you had taken from that. I like the red lines in the geisha pic, how did you come to that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Happy Birthday Dile!!!!!

Oh my, interesting week. I've gone back to basics polishing up my inner 3D. I'm not going to torture you with my attempts on that, though. Even though I myself like it very much when people post their quick little 2-minute doodles in their scetchbooks...

anyways

@My57: Haha thank you, you mean the subject-matter is speaking to you? My painting isn't really exceptional. I have a sub-par tablet working with a sub-par program. And I don't even have the basics down.

@algenpfleger: Yeah compared to you I still am the masterslacker haha! Well I have grown fast over the years, and doing quick scetches is very fun and refreshing. You should try it too sometime haha, I feel like often you put too much thought into your progress making your drawings a little stiff, espescially your poses and facial expressions. Always humbled by your presence, man!

@ hp: What's so great about that? hehe, thanks Emily!

@ Fumble: Thanks! Always nice to inspire someone, even if it is just the ammount of wind my brainfarts produce

@Dile_: Happy Birthday then! Keep growing at that pace man, but don't grow up too fast, promise?

@Gloominati: Thanks man! Good crit too. When doing simple scetching on the train, on the WC, at the bar whatever I don't really think about a structured approach very much. Maybe that's something to sonsider putting more thought into it... Too bad I'm still at doing cubes and shit. I'm so slow with those art-things, really envy you, you are taking off having solid foundation and you already can draw everything in every perspective and all that. I wish you all the best and good luck in Berlin, man!

@Helioth: Hehe I like it more on the computer-screen, that way it's always a new viewing-experience everytime I see my scetches in a new monitor Speaking of which, I think your monitor needs serious calibration, it really sucks up a lot of the darker values, compared with my 2 screens. Maybe that's also a reason? Peace, man!

@Hygami: Nah my dedication is not really that great. I saw the post from Mark Nelor today and I SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the compliments, though.

@Farvus: Hehe, thanks Farvus, did you end your scetchbook? I see, you want to get those 5 stars really quick, right? hehe, stopping by your book later, man!

@Earendil: Wow that's a great compliment, thanks!

@Janos: Nope, never painted before and according to my teachers, I still don't I'm really frightened of those tradidtionals, subtractive color-mixing and all that.... I plan to do oil-casts to finally get that shit out of my system. The line-thing comes from me looking at a lot of symbolism-stuff right now, also the illustrations of cornwell and others have those neat little outlines in them. It's a neat little tool for composition and focus, also I wanted some really saturated red in that painting Thanks man, you're really kicking it over at your place!

Anyway, mostly digital for this update I guess, also a really small one, I'm really unfocussed . Starting of with a horrible photography of a bad cast-drawing. The light-conditions were hard to say the least. Natural light is fucking hardcore O_O. The next one will be smaller (Not 3m lol) and with spotlight.
    Name:  Scan762.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  143.5 KB

Furthermore just defacing various old masters
    Name:  Digi481.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  Digi482.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Digi483.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  183.1 KB

That's all folks! Seeya next week!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is so fabulous

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still see a nice painterly style, so I think you won't do too horrible in your traditional mediums. I like the last one the best of your new update, just because of the lose colouring and teh bold colours themselves. Also, very nice detailed face in the second one. I'm drawn to that first, even though there is a huge white space on top of that.
    The first two faces need more form describing shadows, and somehow I fel like the noses are too detached form teh face.

CHeers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    Hehe, thanks Farvus, did you end your scetchbook? I see, you want to get those 5 stars really quick, right?
    Not really. And even if I wanted, then I would have additional motivation.

As for your update.

The cast drawing is great. Very good proportions and rendering. However when I look at those female faces it seems like you don't fully apply this inner 3d. The shadows doesn't make sense. Maybe it's beacause you don't work enough on the line drawing structure? (I mean something more advanced than boxes). Maybe mark on seperate layer what is light direction and it will be much easier to figure out how bright you can paint the faces and where is the strongest spot of light on the face. Maybe you don't include ridges and hollows in form? Ridges catch subtle specular light, hollows get subtle shadows. Maybe you don't proceed to smaller brushes after you block the form so that you can really sculpt planes and silhouette with value?

I like the colors in Thanatos study. I've seen this painting in real life and it's really huge and has a strong mood.

The robot.. hmm. I hope you don't plan to become Rob Liefeld of industrial design . I know it's sometimes hard but putting your creation behind a palm tree won't really solve the problem. If you like quick sketches so much then why don't you just fill few pages with robot thumbnails or whatever you plan to do from imagination. This way you'll give yourself the chance to see what's out there. You can push the ideas faster this way and eliminate designs you're not fully satisfied with.

I think you need to screw rendering and color for a while and focus on big sized line drawing ideas with focus on proportion, volume and so on. The better line drawing you will make, the easier it will be to figure out the shadows. These are your mythical foundations.

Keep going.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like what you did with the flora & fauna study from the post card.

And the study of 'nike of whereverlandinwhoknowswhere'

looking forward to more updates, how about some more sequential stuff though?

All the best to you!

Last edited by Helioth; March 7th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice pencil work!, and your "defacing"(!) is quite good aswell.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Hive_minD:Giving that compliment right back to you, my friend! Thanks!

@Janos: Yeah although I'd rather say "sloppy" than painterly in a lot of cases. Glad youlike my mastercopies, the faces one is a study from an old pastel-drawing that went horribly wrong. The others came out quite nicely though, i think too. Color-wise that is.

@Farvus: Thanks man! When I'm feeling I'm putting up quality and getting somewhere I have you to throw me back to reality I can't thank you enough for that. About the robot, actually the palm-tree was first Just needed something behind it for good measure. There's a lot of wise things you said andyeah, my 3D-sense isn't tingling at all at the moment. This is the reason why I've returned doing basic stuff like cubes, ellipses and all that... because although I can visualize something by now before drawing it (This might sound ridiculous to you, but for me imagining stuff before drawing it is a huge achievement), I still can't rotate it, put it into the right perspective etc. The 'feel' isn't there too. Shit. Art is hard to learn!

@Helioth: I've alwas wanted to draw comics, man! Drew comics as a child, even had a weekly serial made for myself that went through until its 14th or so issue with extra editions and shit! HAHA, the other kids just found it strange because it was just about video-games and stuff hehe. But no comics for no, though. Sorry to disappoint.

@MacTire: What the hell is good with my pencil work? I mean, I kind of slowly get the hang of quick scetching and setting ideas down past and precise, but it's in no way good looking! Actually, as others pointed out, my shading sucks, hehe. So, I'm really thankful for your compliment, but I'm super curious what you find so good, because I really want to make my scetching more appealing!

Anyways, it's already the 11th for some minutes haha (Although it still was the 10th when I started typing . Also, just a small update, some SB-pages and the Portraits of the Draw-the-official-CA-people.thread in the lounge.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by ~Faust~; March 11th, 2009 at 02:32 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you are really getting values down. maybe do some more crazy color studies or something. keep posting

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    Thanks man! When I'm feeling I'm putting up quality and getting somewhere I have you to throw me back to reality I can't thank you enough for that.
    Don't get me wrong. Your art is really improving and those latest illustration and robot designs are big step forward. I see in the whole body of work very good composition skills, good values and there is always interesting color palette even though sometimes it can get a bit muddy.
    On the other hand I see you can make flawless cast study while imagination stuff doesn't keep up with that level. That basicly means that you just need to take your time with those imagination doodles. All this anatomy thing or anything else from drawn from memory is partially observation but most of it is usually invention. You look into anatomy book and based on that you invent how you will draw leg or head. Good way is to sketch from memory with anatomy books opened in front of you and look into them from time to time.

Visualising before drawing barely works for me. I just put down shapes without being precious and I see some weird alien head comes out. After that I note in my brain that this type of structure feels very alienish and I can more confidently draw it next time. Even if I visualise something and I manage to draw like 99% of what I imagined, it usually doesn't come out as good as I expected. That's why it's always struggle to cheat my mind and draw something more unexpected that will be surprisingly good.

As for the boxes, ellipses, circles and all that shit. Small secret from me. I couldn't draw ellipses for many years. They started coming out decent enough maybe two, three months ago. Yet it didn't make me draw less volumetric objects. I don't think all this 3d-sense would be how accurately you draw these shapes but rather that you see them in everything you draw. Even if you draw head without sketching construction lines, you try to imagine ellipses wrapping around it (which is actually something between box, cylinder and sphere) or you put face features with ellipse in mind.

If anatomy proportions distract you from drawing volumetric stuff then sketch tentacle monsters. That's my advice . (If you don't like tentacle monsters then try mutants) It all comes from my personal experience with volumetric drawing . Also there's no need to construct perspective but maybe draw axes like in 3d program - x, y, z. Then sketch something but try to stick to them most of the time (when it comes to angles). I do that sometimes for industrial stuff and it helps.

Everybody has different habits but maybe you'll find that useful.

Cheers.

Last edited by Farvus; March 10th, 2009 at 08:29 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! It really has been ages since I dropped by, but I took some time off CA in general, so it's nothing personal But sweet lord, look at your work! It's looking so fabulous. Sketch-load is really impressive, your productivity amazes me. Also, the cast-drawing made me wide-eyed! Indeed natural light's a bitch, but you seem be getting the hang of it. Great lines, they convey the texture beautifully.
    But I think the real candy in your latest updates would be the illustrations. The geisha one absolutely deserves those votes! The atmosphere is tangible. Doesn't feel rushed to me at all, if anything, the sort of quick or relaxed brushstrokes add to its charm

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Nike Study.

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6