Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 36
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1378

Thread: Faust's Relaxation Exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry if my comment was not in the direction you wanted ^_^ You are far way better than me, so I honestly can't critique you in any way.
    I just saw something I liked and thought to tell it to its creator ^_^

I have a sketchbook!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey faust, awesome stuff man, you're from groningen, haha i've worked there for a year and i did 'de klassieke academie' for half a year, and i lived there too... what study do you do / did yo do there?

anyway, i think you're not behind me. i see alot good stuff man, really impressive... thanks for the words anyway

cya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That little throne thing is awesome! Looks so real too.

By the way, the slug analogy is dumb, we're not slugs, and who says what direction is the way to the salad?
    Don't believe that shit man, just don't! it's ALL LIES.

Remember, talent is just another way to spell love.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dammit man, you're kicking butt with the materials there! =0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kingkostas: Thanks for stopping by again, man! Yeah that speedy got pretty nasty after a while, I didn't really check anything hehe Glad you like it tho

@alicelefay: Well better is relative, I often see beginners that suck at capturing form and stuff but already have innate skills in certain aspects that I yearn for. For example, I really want to have the imagination some ppl have... It's more or less the reason I draw after all. About your comment, don't sweat it, if you liked what you saw, it's already awesome for me So please don't hesitate to say that because saying keep it up doesn't say anything about how you see my work.

@Teh Gosu: Haha, yeah, I wish I had your ID skills, I'm still at the beginning of that path, not knowing where to start really About Groningen, well I enrolled in that infamous academy and I'm learning to draw and paint there for now , great place for life-drawings (I'm doing life-drawing 5-6 times a week now @_@) but the instructors are sometimes hard to swallow. Not so bad though, I'm kind of teaching myself as always and everything else is a nice bonus and some of my classmates are super-talented.

@Helioth: Hehe, I don't know about you, but I felt kind of sluggish today . Thx for stepping by dude, where's your SB?

@algenpfleger: I guess you're referring to the Stilllife-digi? Thx man, you're really kicking off with Leipzig, I'm sure! Can't wait till I'll write applications to work as your intern as soon as you go pro haha, how'd you like your coffee?

Today academy-day, as will be tomorrow, so no time for digitals, only some scetchbook-stuff. Began new exercise today, I call it "moleskine-bargue" hehe, not too serious though

Attached Images Attached Images        

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome rendering on those sketches mate
    Very nicely done but i see we have the same problem of smearing with the molesking though

anyways keep up the work I really am impressed with how much your rendering has improved
    -jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faust: it's the difference between feeling like one and being one though!

Think about it, a slug doesn't know it's a slug. If you felt like a slug that day, you must have felt other ways also, on other days.
    So that settles it, we're not all slugs and we don't all want cabbages or salads. metaphysics /pfui.

Really liking the roots/ tree one crawling through the building, though, I get the feeling I've seen it in one of your sb's ?

[My] Sketchbook is coming, sometime, I'm working on the bargue book now mainly... Good to see you're trying that too. Thanks for asking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, those barques kick ass. lol you do the same skool i did, i only did the "vooropleiding" and didnt even finish it because that school and the teachers just poored all the fun i have in drawing, doing 2/3 minute poses for 4 hours, it was more about how fast you can draw something insteed of really dig into how form works, then step back and apply it in fast poses.. that was what i expected it to be, but no it was just only fast poses, you just dont really learn anything from that because u make the same mistakes over and over... another thing that bugged me big time was that all my classmates were all housewives ranging from 35-60... i thought it would be so much more fun on a social level to do a different education.... maybe i would have pulled through doing it if there were more 'gelijkgestemden'... anyways, i hear that you have very talented classmates, thats very valuable man... i hope you will finish it... what do you think of the works of helmantel? i think he teaches there too isnt he? what year are you in btw?

anyways, looking forward for an update

cya

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. You got awesome value contrast and precision on those bargue drawings. The last one is great too.

For example, I really want to have the imagination some ppl have... It's more or less the reason I draw after all
    I don't believe drawing itself pushes imagination. Imagination is a bit like a independent muscle. You just have to force yourself to put it into motion through creativity and it will get stronger. It doesn't matter what is the activity though. You can do sculptures from mud, construct robots from Lego, create levels for FPS game, decorate room with flowers, write a stories or whatever. (I think I did all of that except for flowers part )
    There was lately longer period of time when I was just painting from reference. Of course some technical skills improved but at the same time I got into some sort of creative block. It was really hard to break through it and I had just empty mind for several days. Finally I forced myself to fill sketchbook with some thumbnails. Creative juices really started flowing and before I even noticed it was 3 A.M. Propably that's where I see the whole reasoning behind those two advices I found in workshop notes :
    "-Figure work hits a wall where doing more and more figure work won't necessarily make you better - step back and draw from your head whilst thinking about the life stuff."
    -After a certain point, life drawing repetition isn't useful anymore."

Cheers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time here; it's definitely a lot of great pictures XO

I like your penciling; its rendering is detailed and so clean! I like the hand muscles; it's simple yet so detailed.
    Am also the fan of the root and roof picture (...hey, a pun. Lame pun! Yay!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jedininjaman: Thank you Although I tend to think that rendering the shit out of something can not be the final means. More and more I want to put more information than aestetics into my stuff, but for now those Bargue drawings and shading exercises give me a good deal of form-understanding. Still a noob, remember? I'm around people that did this shit since they were kids, gotta catch up.

@Helioth: haha Alright then Would be great to see your bargues too! Take care!

@Teh Gosu: Yeah there's that lot of slackers in my class, too. Although I don't sweat it too much, they love what they're doing and if they don't want to improve it's not really my problem, They'll eventually get sorted out anyway. About the basic year, yeah I heard about that but since there wasn't any portfolio review and basically everyone could apply I didn't go for it but straight for the vakscholing. What good can an education be if they take everyone, right? Also, those 2-minute poses are ridiculous. The didactic approach of the teachers is kinda laughable, too. That changes with time, though. I already had 2nd year docents and they actually know what they're talking about, still am first year though.
    Helmantel? Most of his stuff is a bit boring, he's kind of painting things dead. He's VERY capable though and I look forward to working with him, heard he's a really strict teacher which would be nice for a change.

@Farvus: Hey thank you! I think a bit differently about the drawing and imagination-thing though. What I mean is that the act of freely drawing stuff can trigger the imagination in very concrete ways. I only put up art recently, remember? Have always been creative, though. Coding, making music and all that. But nothing has triggered my imagination so far as drawing did. That's why I'm keepng at it, I know there's other choices for people to enrish their inner senses, but this is the one I've made and I'm gonna stick with it. Besides, I find drawing and learning shapes and forms from nature beautiful and adventurous as well so there's a lot of reasons to draw.

@Trefle: Thanks That hand is a copy of a Bargue-plate though. I didn't make that up

Today slow as yesterday, tomorrow I can do real studies again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking rantz

Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    @jedininjaman: I'm around people that did this shit since they were kids, gotta catch up.
    Ha! guilty as charged I suppose I am am still a kid :/
    but anyways if you can get a grip on form and express your understanding through rendering then you are set look at people like zanzan, Chromosome and danielC (especially his more detailed pencil work show such a crazy understanding of form) and ya chromosome too, his rendering is amazing because he understands form so well. texture which i think should be revealed through rendering, ie. you should show texture through your rendering, is much easier to use effectively and grasp than form...
    anyways.
    I very much like your pencil renders but that might just be my fixation with traditional mediums
    keeep it up man
    -jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jedininjaman: Hmmm I'm not sure I understand, Texture is more effective to grasp than form? Anyways, thanks for your input, I agree, the great conceptartists around here are formidable at rendering stuff due to their understanding of form. And it is indeed a good benchmark of that understanding, looking at how good an artist cn capture the form with his rendering, since value and form are also related.
    Thanks for stopping by, man! No need to be ashamed of your age, I wish I'd have had already drawn for 5 years when I was 16 haha!

Anyhoot, todays pile:

Last edited by ~Faust~; January 23rd, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jedininjaman: Hmmm I'm not sure I understand, Texture is more effective to grasp than form?
    Heavens no!
    I suppose I was very unclear, but what I was trying to say was that in order to use texture efficiently you have to understand form, and I made that point to emphasize the importance of understanding form; in that under standing form is a pre-requisite to drawing with texture (as well as detail, lighting, and most anything else in my opinion). And that was why I was originally happy to see your Bargue drawings.
    anyways I did a small paint over just cause I was in the mood. Hope it helps
    -jedi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh. I get what you're saying about imagination.

I like that black&white painting with some abstract shapes. In the self portrait for some reason you remind me a bit of John Travolta .

Keep going with those bargues .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love that greyscale abstract shape one. you really did great on the edges. i really don't get what's going on in the knight picture, though. i think jedi has some really good points on the sp's, work those alignments. whoa, when'd you cut the hair? you look almost respectable! jk. glad to see you're still pushing yourself. work structure, structure, structure. you're hittin it man...keep on it. peace!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great looking portrait, you got the likeness down.

Did you get a haircut then?

Someone, i think it was Mentler (don't quote me though) described likeness as "the architecture of the brow, lips and jaw", so, you're definitely making strides as far as anatomy goes.

You knew i was going to suggest it again sooner or later: Work bigger,
    try different media,
    sketchbooks are convenient but, if you want to make it as an artist or concept artist you are going to have to "finish" works to a higher standard than you are at the moment, and YOU CAN...
    You'll probably be really surprised by just how much you know if you give yourself time and pace yourself on a bigger project.

Don't shy away Faust! We know you can do it!!

Last edited by Helioth; January 25th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jedininjaman: Thanks for the paintover man! i agree, the jaw-area still is a big problem for me. About the nose, well my nose is pretty strangely pointed upwards. I'm pretty hard to draw since my features are a bit strange. Thanks for stopping by again mate!

@Farvus: hehe, thanks man

@ purb36: dunno, man. fun is more important than structure hehe, about the hair, I cut it before new year, there's already a lot grown back,. actually. I kind of prefer it that way.

@Helioth: Man, you told me that about the format in Berlin... I work bigger at the academy, A2, A1 and shit and using ink-washes, charcoal and stuff. But I always throw the garbage I produce away I have no space to bunker all those sheets. Fuck history.
    About the finish, it might be nice that you think I could do it. As long as I myself am not convinced that I have the abilities yet to make longer illustrations that aren't a waste of time, it's not gonna happen. I participate in the gender-TD though. We'll see if I can come up with a decent picture in 4 weeks.
    But thanks man! Glad you keep track after all hehe.-

Hmmmmm not much to comment really. Stuff:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the way you compose your pages in your pen work, very inspirational stuff here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those tidbits on your orange wacom "sleep" part made me chuckle.
    Especially "stop writing in english" in english.

I think you could try some darker blues and or purples for more dramatic effect and balance, I almost overlooked the 'sleeping you' there.
    Maybe just a gradient on the orange or something so it flows more... play around with it, got photoshop yet ? Ever plan on getting it ? Why not ?

I like the idea that even in your sleep you aren't beyond us nagging at you (or yourself nagging at yourself as the case may be)... It means you're serious!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dravloc25: Wow, thanks man!

@Helioth: Well the solors supose to work that way, bringing all the attention to the random shit above and getting down by accident. I don't really dream about art though. At least not often.

Today's pile of junk:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that robotic thing. You played with shapes more than usually and it's got good amount of information for more realistic design.
    I would consider adding some graphic design element along that upper edge of black triangle. Something simple to balance out lots of stuff on the bottom. Maybe also more give more love to those tentacles . They are a bit too fuzzy in some parts like you're not sure if you want them loose or refined. Either soft or sharp edge but not both in random places. I would try some really light gray gradient coming out from bottom right corner and getting transparent closer to that machine. It would lead the eye more to the main focal point and reduce that really strong value contrast near the edge.

Bargues are great as usual and girl looks cute .

Keep going man.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great SB man! your pencil have definitely showed progress, loving the life-stills. keep pushing yourself sir!
    5*

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great little robot, let me guess, you spent a little more time than usual on it ? ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Farvus: Wow, man what a great feedback! Will work on those issues, since I kind of want this to be portfoio-material I guess. Thanks again!

@ Call0ps: Ahaha, you know 5* is the max ammount you can give, right? Thx for stopping by, your stuff rocks, you're an instpiration!

@Helioth: Hehe, you are gonna stay with my SB for a while now? How 'bout you start one I I pester you everyday haha, just jking always glad to read you man!

No---time---must --- sleep. Drawing will do tomorrow...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that pile rendered of prism triangle has amazign values, i like the robot in your last post too, you improved a lot since the beginning, im sure you could give me a tip or two hahaha keeeeepppp uppp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the nose, well my nose is pretty strangely pointed upwards.
    haha scouts honor on that right?
    and your so called "failed" study looks like it could easily pass as an awesome creature keep at it your pencil work is starting to glow

-jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey

I just say WOW

I love your pencil things I am always inspired when I see it here.
    something above you painted trees. they are really good.
    I look every day after if you have new updates.
    sorry for bad english, I would not write in German.
    gogogogogogo

keep postin dude .......

salute gliederpuppeeeeeee

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your barque drawings are coming around very nicely - good sense of volume. That last update with the orange and you crashed at your desk are wonderful. The digital knights is good, except I have no idea what's going on. Is one knight spearing the other's head?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will, I will...
    And no, you can't get rid of me, regardless of whether you want to or not now!

I like the 15 minute poses, the centre ones and lower ones more so than the first? few.
    You should expand on that fungal forest picture, also, fick-pferd, i hear it kills people by rupturing their spleens etc, be careful with that thing ok?

Last edited by Helioth; January 27th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6