Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 30
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Faust's Relaxation Exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah I love them llamas!

Nice studies, those lips reminded me; STUDY LIPS! See how you just made a person get inspiration out of you, so post some more

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @hp: Thanks, about the enviro, good eye, although I think a straight bg would have been a bit boring

@Lakka: I like Lamas too @_@ Well you better go study lips otherwise yours end up like mine haha!

Fuck I wanted to do much more today... I really am lazy.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your "100" gestures in post 858 and 867, dude, if it's gonna be like that, you should do make them with obvious differences, rather than just the same pose 25 times. at LEAST make it like an animation sheet, how you transition from one pose to the next. git'r done, man!!! i like how you pretty up your pages with a border...makes you look THAT much more professional. carry yourself high, and don't be intimidated by the other students. take care!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool updates - good work with all the gestures. Is the higlight on that sphere not a bit too central?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really pushing along man, keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~
    I do have stuff in line that gets refined right now for a future portfolio (I'm taking it slow here) but the last big masterstudies I did that I spend several days on showed me that I am not ready for that stuff yet. I get stuck and frustrated because I fucked up in a very early part, having to fuck around with proportions, my brushwork is no way near technical refinement yet and I alays have to adjust my palette. Basically I don't have the foundations and those quick scetches you see here are really mere drills to get that shit inside my head.
    I see it a bit differently now. You're saying that your art is not good enough for refined finished stuff. I think it would become good if you go further and add few hours. Of course most of the important stuff is happening in those first minutes but finishing to me is seperate skill that can be developed alongside with quick observation and sketching. It's also something that forces you to think what to draw. You need some vision for your finished imagination art and it could grow vital while you learn foundations. I used to focus on just quick studies and then after long time it was really hard for me to really finish something. It's still hard. Once you get used to it though it's not really a problem. Of course everyone develops his own learning philosophy (especially when you're self thought) so do the way you like it. Just be careful beacause small quick doodles might become your comfort zone and you propably don't want comfort zones .

Your latest art is entering new stage I think. Those sculpture studies look really solid. You're experimenting a bit with those gestures and add some flavor to rough figures and I like this last environment. I think you could break this long horizon line with something to make the painting more organic. For example put some mountains in front of it so that there is some overlapping going. You could also add some color variety on foreground to make it less dim and therefore closer to the viewer.

Keep it up with the studies. It's really paying off .

Last edited by Farvus; October 6th, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo! nice updates. Watch that ear though man. Right night the length from left to right is reallly small...unless that sculpture had really small ears

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36: haha you're right, there where pretty blamt, but I actuallly think they were neccessary at that time. Going a bit more of a didactic route with the poses here, thanx for stopping, man!

kidult: Actually, after reading Briggsy's site and rendering a bit with 3D-software, I leanred that a specular highlight is behaving differently from a diffuse one, so it never comes down to the middle of the brightest spot but indeed more down in this case. I do think I made it much too big though.

seth1: No man, I'm lazy as hell.

Farvus: Arrrgh finishing... I can't ! no attention-span But I try... really... That statue is no statue, though. Just another SP

Tetsuo: Noone recognises me But yeah, that ear bothered me too after seeing the result after a while.

Today very small update, did only traditional stuff charcoal mostly, so still staying under the radar, move along folks, nothing here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you're rocking these Self portrait study's. You can learn a ton from them, if you think smart well doing them. Ie, bone structure, planes, form. how light falls on the planes of the face. When the value goes from Light, to half tone, then falls off to shadow. How the bounce light effects the nose and chin and other areas it may happen.. You have a main light source and your computer acts as a secondary so you also have to take that into account. Most of all having a blast doing what you love. Keep it up man.

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuffs - as for the specular highlight - keep in mind all specular and diffuse highlights are actually just reflections that become diffuse due to the objects surface. (this true for 3d stuff too - but phong / blinn and that stuff fake it)
    Your light source is from the left so it should be more to the left as your specular highlight is the brightest reflection from your lightsource.
    I know people have a tendancy to put it way left in the upper parts. I just meant yours must go ver a little and the point you made about it being a bit big is true too.

Keep up the great work dude! (and yeah charcoal is tricky aint it...but once you master it ...woohoo)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @seth1: You're right, the SPs can do some good, I just reently realized that they suck at diffuse light, putting them in one spot-light is easy as hell and actually in the academy we intentionally get the worst possible lighting-situations when doing our casts so we learn how to treat diffuse lights and make the right choices.

@kidult: Haha, eye-balling the situation is really not always working You're right, I shoud e more careful when conducting geometrc shapes.

The last days have been quite insightful studywise. Not that it shows thoguh haha!

Last edited by ~Faust~; October 11th, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The poses in post 872 are gooood Faust! Simple but the attitude is already there : very cool!
    And the sp with the round eyes makes me think to the characters of this :

Creepy at least!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man, you nailed the colors on the cloth paintings O_O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man your colours are amazing
    Looking really really good
    Love all the dedication
    Please do keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those cloth ones...wooooh! freakin awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Clochette: Wow thanks ma chèrie, you guys have really strange children-shows O_o

@algenpfleger: Considering I'm doing this all on a lap-top screen I don't know what the hell I'm doing when mixing colours So it was pure luck I guess

@lilnebo: Hehe that's funny because I still consider color one of my weakest area. But glad you like it here a bit!

@kidult: Hehe cheers bro!

twoooooooo mooooooooooooooooar-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Then I wanna have your luck! Looking awesome dude. Now apply that to stuff from imagination!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo faust.

Post 869, that enviro has a really nice atmosphere.

So your starting a sp routine?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Algenpfleger: I have no imagination.

@Renegade89: Yeh, I have those daily SPs too, you can check out my thread in the Self-portrait-forum if you like http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...49#post1974749.

Crappy scetchdump.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 pages... to see that I probably only commented on 3.. back when it was only like 10 pages or something or maybe before this sketchbook if you had another.. xD

Damn man.. so much improvement!

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your improvement is so inspiring! I ADORE your works, you inspire me to push myself harder than before!
    Keep up the fabulous work! Keep updating! Your sketchbook is wonderful. 83

No imagination? My face you have no imagination. >>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those pencils are supereb!
    Really really great
    The amount of studies your doing is putting me in shame
    All i can see is please keep it up man!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay. Improvement . I can't really tell which pic I like the most. They're all pretty good. Your art seem to go into some sort of surrealist style. Those masks behind window sketch got mood like from some crazy dream.

http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1224459461 - Rendering on that female is top notch. I even recognize the model. Bammes anatomy book.
    I also like those digital drapery studies.

Maybe that's only me but in imagination figure drawing I would emphasize more the difference between organic and angular lines to show the change of the structure. For example some parts of the face have sharper corners where skull is while others have very soft flowy lines. Same goes for every part of the body.
    I also see you have problems with the neck area. I go that problem too.

Keep posting! I want to see more of this stuff .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the angle you are using from upper lip to bottom of the nose is too large I am pretty sure it should be more acute
    but ya either way you should look into that on your portraits
    oh and the cloth studies are very nice
    but ya keep it up man and stop by sometime
    -=jedi=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rolo: there you go, even a lobotomized walrus like me can improve if it draws every day Now get to that pencil of yours and do some rock'n'roll!

@Monkeydominator: Such nice words! I don't think I deserve such praise yet but of course it's always nice when someone is inspired

@lilnebo: You shouldn't be shamed, just scared since I'll take that MB.job away from you if you don't get to work haha! Only kidding

@Farvus: Hey my friend! Thanks for dropping by and being so nice, always a treat, espescially when you leave good advice and pointers on where to go next!

@jedininjaman: Ah, thanks man! I was always wondering what it is that I put into my faces that makes them look so similar. Indeed it is my own face that has such a steep angle and I seem to put that into other faces too, thanks for the pointer man!

Anyways, in my feeble attempt to keep this still somewhat regular I have a quick one from today that I painted inbetween one bigger project of mine (Y'know this portfolio-stuff that never gets fnished which I have way too many off...)

Anyway, wanted to be very rigid and rational in my approach so I made this process-sheet, if some of you are interested:
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?i...processwe7.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    best ones from this bunch:
    shapes value study
    page o-noses
    dancer

very awesome, and your paintings are sweeeet, especially this last one. i would recommend some upper back/shoulder studies; the back of the "figure phail" figure sitting on the boxes is not so pretty. you're learning lots, and you're working hard, so i know things will be good for you. take care man, hope school's going well, especially with the life aspect of it.

*i think in the translation from the roughs to the final, changing the pose loses something. was there a reason for changing the pose, or did it just happen?

Last edited by purb36; October 21st, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woha - i came here to return your helpful kindliness. but now i can't think of anything similarly auxiliary to say. damn.
    i love those tiny littly poses, so small and so little lines but so much attitude! and the drapery studies on this page are amazing too - those colours and textures! and your pencilwork looks pretty sensitive, too!
    the last figure painting has a nice sense of volume. i like that i can really see her weight and the way she leanes there. because of the way the light hits her her upper body seems pretty important but the shoulder/neck area isn't as detailed but pretty blocky, she needs collarbones. i don't know if you need more studies of that part of the body or if you ran out of time.
    i really enjoyed looking through your sketchbook! and thanks for those cube and geometric object studies - i think i'll borrow that exercise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @purb36: Hey, thanks again Aaron! About the pose, when scetching I initially begin exaggerated because normally I have the tendency to be very stiff and boring so I swipe extra-strong. During the process however, I have to make compromises about what's reaistic and what to aim for. I saw the pose initially planned the firgure wouldn't seem relaxed and calm at at but very uncomfortable and strange so I made the pose somewhat more naturally. I guess tade-offs are a part of every process, You cut off just as much potential as you add layers of render.

@Galaxis: Thanks!

@katinki: Yeah you're right, I was rendering me a wolve on the shoulder and meddled till it didn't feel that wrong anymore that I really lost the motivation to go on with the torso too much. Besides, this really was suppoed to be a speedy and I didn't want to spend more than 2 hours in it. But of course, I could need some more studies in that area, thanks for stopping by!

Some photos of moleskine-pages, wantd to test my cmera-skills once more. I decided to stall these until I get access to a scanner again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it took me quite a while to figure out what cmera-skills are... i first assumed you were talking about a secret formal art method i've never heard of - but if you're talling about photos, some are quite blurry... shame one cannot see your shading in detail.
    however, nice variety! the first spacemarine doesn't really seem to fit in his suit, but all other figures look quite believable. do you do such stuff from your head? if yes, i'm quite envious!

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6