Sketchbook: Faust's Relaxation Exercises - Page 19

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Sedig: Thx man, I still am rushing oo much me thinks. Actually, the planes in the 2nd are ok if you recognize the object as a cube

@Lakka: Thanks, the last one was an accident, really. Wanted to achieve copper but gained some kind of orange marble @_@

Stll such a noob. I do not like this update and I do update this only to keep this dump daily-

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by ~Faust~; May 17th, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Solly fol my engrish
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kick you in the pants? How am I supposed to do that? You're doing great man!

Got yourself a cast huh? Awesome!

Your lighting is getting better and better man, makes me think, I should do those cubes too, considering how much they help you. Hmm, your brushwork still needs a bit of work... still using Gimp? You're really hardcore

The composition of that "Let my people go motherfucker!" doodle is a little suboptimal, all the action happens in the bottom half while there's a lot of dead space above, the right guy leads the eye off the canvas which is never a good thing. Hmm, also remember the rule of thirds man, and check out these tutorials: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=3275 and http://www.androidblues.com/visualperception.html More knowledge in there than you could ask for!

Last doodle is great, the light on the pots and vases on that shelf seems a little too strong, and the guy seems scared of the candle, not the gunner, but these are just minor things.

Keep it up man, and sorry for not dropping by your book more often D:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BananaGolem!

@algenpfleger: Thanks a bunch for the composition-links! Now I have so much more knowledge I can be ashamed of not setting in action! THanks for stopping by, mate, no need to apologize, there not much to see here, anyway! Oh, and that drawing is not a cast, its the real deal from the last of my weekly museum-visits.

Eeeh ... daily crap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weh, been deleting about half of the stuff I've done today, partly because I am uncontrollingly pressing the wrong buttons and partly because they were just plain horrible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you have the rendering matte surfaces dvd from scott johnson? thats the right thing for howto do lightning. great improvement keep up mate!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kfeeras: Thx man! and no, I do not have this DVD, sounds like a good tip tho.

Well I wanted to worked somewhat more today but somehow I got very tired so for now I call it a quits and I'll continue tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's going on? Since when have been practicing so much?

I thought you touch your pencil only once a week, I THOUGHT I COULD ACTUALLY REST FOR A MINUTE, but no, there you go and start kicking my lazy, sorry ass! Sneak attack! How dare you!

Your brushwork has improved massively, which is awesome, colors are getting better, which is awesome too, and I'll be practicing now! Ha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there,

even though your environments are quite simple, their somehow very atmospheric, and i really like ur gestures, keep that up.

l8r man.

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Palimpalim!

@algenpfleger: Dude, I draw very fucking day, only that in the past days, my pencil got a bit less busy then usual... Well that'll change tomorrow anyways. Thank you for the compliments!

@markey2d: I will, thanks!

studiesstudies. Quit my internship to draw the whole day and become an artist (Was volunteer work anyway). That step makes me scared as hell but on the other hand I can't imagine doing anything else that I would call fullfilling. Might as well bust my ass to get the skills for the nice jobs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you are prolific.

You've just given me that famous kick in the pants. I gotta get busy.

Your digitals are becoming more refined with each and every post. AMAZING, sir. I'm diggin the red robot. I will say this, though: slow down. From a viewer's perspective it seems that there are several places where you are moving way too fast, and others where you are perfectly patient and willing to take time when you have to. Just pretend that when you are drawing, you have all the time in the world. Your pencils don't looked rushed at all--in fact, they look freaking awesome, and i want them--apply the same to your digitals.

You've thrown down the gauntlet this time. I'm afraid to pick it up, cuz you'll win.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Faust!
    Been going through some of your stuff, looking impressive. This sudden blast of studies lately is also very inspiring, keep at it! Your enviros have definitely improved, especially your use of colour. Actually, I see improvement in other areas as well. Mostly the digi stuff, but the gestures have clearer lines as well. And those portraits in your latest have a nice yet loose shading, I love that.

I'm in no state to crit now, it's waaaay past my bedtime, but I'll come later for further studies Off to practice, then!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you... actually took that step? D:

wow. seems my time is over now, beholding the progress from post to post in here... wow. digging the robot quite a lot. and those portraits.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been out for the most part today, so just a few digitals now.

@Sedig: Hmmm thanks you but I really don't deserve praise. Just look at Algenpfleger above or Farvus and see what kind of cracy shit they are producing as of late. And my pencils are NOT freaking awesome. Next month, I'll probably have a scanner and I can properly show.

@AsaB: Thanks

@algenpfleger: hahaha, well it would be just half the fun being in this little rat-race alone, wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovin the latest stuff. The handicap robot is definitely cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STFU.

Forget the awesomeness of algenpfleger or Farvus (yeah, they're pretty awesome). They don't matter here. This one is about your journey. Judge yourself against yourself, not the others. Sure, they deserve praise, but so do you.

Don't underestimate yourself.

Now:

The continued studies are paying off. Just a thought for the firt one--the darkest side of the rectangle-y shape seems strangely light. I don't know what the goal of this study was exactly, but the cast shadow is considerably darker than that side. You might try either lightening the cast shadow or darkening that side a little bit. Other than that, they all look pretty ace.

I still like the pencils best (it's because they're freaking awesome, pimpwad), and I can't wait until you get that scanner.

Keep on keepin on, dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with sedig, yeah farvus and me are awesome, but i also agree with you, yeah, you suck. haha just kidding man xD i think this "awww fuck shit dammit i'm gonna kick your butt so hard" is actually the best attitude, because it makes you work much, much harder. people here tend to take this "journey" thing too lightly sometimes. judging yourself against yourself is always dangerous, because there's always progress which would make you say "man, i deserve a break." instead, judge yourself against craig mullins and wes burt and linda bergkvist and then you're back to "awww fuck shit dammit, you just wait asshole." it's about motivating yourself even if it sounds dirty.

having that said, those poses are impressive, especially the amount haha. sedig already said everything about the lighting exercises. that reffed girl on the left sketchbook page is gorgeous (it's reffed, isn't it? D= )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am admire your enthusiasm for sketching, faust :-)

you are a really productive guy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Algenpfleger is right, of course. Sometimes I get melodramatic. Don't hesitate to compare yourself to others, especially if you desire to reach or surpass their abilities. Aim high. Just don't forget to be at least a tiny bit proud of yourself, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @-Borto-: Thanks man, I think he is dorky, as all my tech is, but I wouldn't want any other way, haha!

@Sedig: Aw, well you rehabilitated yourself I see it like Algenpfleger as well, I always take artists that re waaaaay aboce my level and study from them to get better. But I wouldn't "surpass" them. As i see it, there's a certain point when the techniques so tight that the rest is all about personal development and going beyond personal frontiers. Then it is not a matter of being "better", but simply "different". I don't think you can be better than craig Mullins, you can only be different at some point. I can be a better Faust than yesterday, though.

About that Geocomp, it's a compromise, really. Tried to darken that area but it renderes the scene boring and te objects are less readable. In the beginning this section was even brighter.

@algenpfleger: w0rd!

@maceska: Wow, thank you very much!

@Sedig: look above

unproductive day, I slack too much inbetween studies, I think I could have made at least 2 maybe 3 times the stuff that I did... Oh well, tomorrow I'll be doing some serious sceduling and a time-table to see where are my productivity is going to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    colors are getting better man! by tons!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. It's getting faster and more intense in here. I agree with algenpfleger about the colors. I think you're starting to really use colors as values and it works together well. The apple looks great.

Hey thanks a lot, I don't clearly get what you are saying but your comment made me think more about the palette I'm using and how to simplify it.
    On photos colors in very dark areas tend to be really desaturated (almost black) and it's a bit fake. So when you copy black from them, on painting it doesn't necessarily look good. Also when you put black onto some color it desaturates it a lot and creates some dysharmony in color palette. It's good to be careful with that and I think it's actually better to put really dark color instead. Dark brown, blue, purple or other.
    Second thing is connected with values. Usually shadows also get some small amount of light so they are always visible (there are exceptions, outer space for example). The darkest areas where light couldn't get into are for example small gaps, cracks in the wall. Only there it would be possoble to use black and otherwise you wouldn't leave yourself some additional values to put the darkest darks.

Phew.. that was hard to write in english . Maybe just go through Loomis "Creative illustration" and it will clarifiy certain things.

Keep it up. You're improving fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Algenpfleger: Thanks, means a lot to me that you are posting here regularly.

@Farvus: Thx for the explanation Glad you see progress in colors.

ffffffffffff ff ffff f f ff ff f ffff f

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh shit, i just got my butt kicked D: amazing your progress is. f '(faust) > f '(algenpfleger), to say it with math.

loving the life paintings man. do those regularly! creatures are awesome too. keep it up mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice amount of focused work your pushing out recently, good work!!
    Your stuff is definitely getting better and better, just keep on working on that, the onion and the garlic show a lot that you seem to get more confident with values. However things might get even cleaner. when painting from life, squinting your eyes is definitely the key to get a clean value-scheme, the rest is "only" about hues and edges

Keep going!

ah yeah, I accepted your icq request, though icq is crashing down on me the last few days all of the time...no conversation possible, going to fix this problem till tomorrow evening

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Algenpfleger: Damn stop talking that nonsense buddy, your math doesn't prove anything- and even if your statement was true, it wouldn't matter since your work's freaking irrational! Whereas I am just drifting within the realm of natural whole numbers (excludng the zero).

@Gloominati: Confident? Me? You commented in the wrong scetchbook dude, haha! Thanks for the props!

hmmmm I should be saying something meaningful.. okay, from now on, I will change! I will correct all my orthographical mistakes in my posts in the future!

Last edited by ~Faust~; May 25th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha whatever man xD
    loving all the silhouettes! could you tell us a bit more about your thoughts behind them? to strengthen your lines, or to see things as a whole, or why exactly do you do these?

life paintings are getting better by the day! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like digi 278 and 279. They're loose and describe a great deal. Your colors are also getting better. I'm curious about the basic shape color/comp studies though, are they reffed or from imagination? I need practice in lighting and I think they might be useful. Oh, and any chance we might get to see more pencil drawings? They look great, but it's like 1 every post and small as heck. =(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.. man thanks for visiting my sketchbook!
    Thanks for the crits

Now its ur turn..
    Hey man great work!
    Digital paintings are amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha, i said you are getting mroe confident, not that you are already there

Liking all the little figures, just wanted to ask the same question as algenpfleger.

Unfortunately I have to say that in the shell painting the values are mudded together in a way that makes it almost impossible to recognize any rendering. The form doesn't read at all to me.

The cubes and cylinders, however are getting better and better, keep doing them!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @algenpfleger: Thanks man! The silluettes? Well, I do like an hour of 15-second poses from posemaniacs as a morning-exercise. The outlining I do to get a feeling for pose-dynamics and get away from stiff anatomy-scheming. It's a great way to erase fear of making mistakes. It's one thing wanting to do everything right and putting the best you can into your stuff but it's another thing to hesitate because you are too afraid to make a mark, because it can be the wrong one. This exercise helps greatly because some of those people look like pretty deformed mutants but on the whole it kind of works out, when there's an army of mutants (It IS quite satisfying doing several hundreds of those minions.) Plus, it helps my pencils too which is great.

@EvilBunny: Thanks Unfortunately I do not have a scanning device atm so no traditional. I do these daily pencils for Sedig's sake so that he can for whatever reason look at them. I, myself find those PC-cam photos quite annoying.

@shrikant: Thanks!

@Gloominati: Ah well, still learning about all hat stuff, man give me some more time, I'll try to work out a solution with those definitions!

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4