Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hiring/Finding Private Drawing Tutor?

Thanks

Hiring/Finding Private Drawing Tutor?

Hey everybody, I'm really stuck on my own so I wanted to ask this board for some information/advice.

I am going to art school this fall but my skills are really pitiful at the moment. I don't want to show up and be so far behind everyone else, especially since I have 3 months now that I want to spend more than anything on improving my drawing abilities. I have tried and tried on my own, but have come to the conclusion that I simply cannot help myself in this matter. I have also tried courses at the community college and they did not benefit me either...

I wish to hire a private drawing tutor that I could meet with several days a week for the next three months so that I could make some progress in my drawing abilities (and hopefully figure out how to help myself!). I had a 1-on-1 piano instructor before, and although I didn't stay long I learned things very quickly this way.

Does anybody know how I could go about finding/hiring a private drawing instructor? I'm going crazy with anxiety waiting to go away to school, and if I could make some progress before then it would give me a big confidence boost!

Thanks for reading; please reply I would really appreciate it!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    just surf a bit around the internet, google your city and the words "drawing course, academical drawing.. etc"
    or simply browse your local newspaper or go to your college and ask your art teacher if he knows anyone..

i found my current drawing teacher by accident on the internet and i'm very happy with him. although you can learn EVERYTHING on your own by simply drawing from life and THINKING carefully and trying to understand form, value, shading, color . etc..
    most important thing is to constantly DRAW!!

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, Lim. I will try the internet... I live in Damascus, Maryland by the way...

I already tried a 1-on-1 thing with a local teacher-big waste of time and bad experience. And I have already put in tons of time life drawing but it has never done me any good . I NEED someone to MAKE me learn....

I'll look on the internet now...

*edit* I just searched for drawing course academic drawing maryland on google and didn't get anything relevant. Anybody else have suggestions? I'll look in the newspaper too, which section would they put their information?

Thanks
    another advice would be to tell your friends to beat the shit outta you if you don'T show them a life drawing everyday or something like that

oooorr: buy a book about life drawing and drawing/rendering techniques.. etcetera. honestly, the more you draw the more you will want to draw all the time, but the impulse has to come from you, not a teacher. if you just need someone to give you asspats to make you feel good about yourself, go post at deviantart. otherwise, most importantly, start your own sketchbook thread here and you will recieve very helpful advice.

Thanks
    Well, in theory you can learn everything on your own, but it may be easier if you have someone guiding you. And a private tutor is a good idea if you have the money.

Too bad you are asking this now, cuz now the schools are in vacation time too. You could've post an ad in the local college school paper asking for a tutor, and some students may help you out, and sometime they may be better than you expect.

Or perhaps ask the local libraries about this too? Sometime public places like libraries would have info on this type of things, or give you suggestions where to look.

Thanks
    maybe the school you're going to has a mentor or tutoring program...look into it.

and dont worry about being behind everyone, more likely than not you'll be around the same level as most of the others...there is a reason for going to school after all, and thats to learn.
    bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    you could try craigslist. there's frequent 'tutor available' ads there... and if not, post a similar query to the one you posted here.

OR, you could hunt down some of the other people from MD on these boards, and ask them REALLLY nicely to go draw/sketch sometime. Don't ask them to 'tutor' you, just go draw with them and watch what they do... then try it yourself.

OR you could do what a lot of ca.orgers do..become a hermit for a few months... and draw ALL day. I mean literally ALL day... 8-12 hours. You'll get better by the end of the summer.

also, don't be SO worried about starting artschool, lots of people in year 1 of an artschool barely know which end of the pencil is the drawing end... it's sad, but true. then again, they learn throughout the artschooling, or they are there for a different discipline (film, photo, etc.) and just wind up in the drawing classes as an early requisite.

goodluck

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have done lots of life drawing and it doesn't make me want to do it everyday... Usually I will do 3 weeks-3 months of life drawing for 1-3 hours a day and then suddenly drop it completely for another few months. I don't like it and I don't learn anything. I've made sketchbooks here before but even with everyone's advice I just can't seem to learn. Also I have a dozen or so "how-to-draw" books but none of them have helped me either...

I'm going to the Joe Kubert School this fall, I don't know of any kind of summer-programs but I will look into it... I'm not just worried about coming in behind everyone else (although I make Matt Groening look like a fine draftsman!), I also just really really more than anything in the world want to start learning how to draw and waiting for 3 months is tortuous, considering I know I cannot teach myself...

I'll look into J.K. having a summer program with 1-on-1 (though they are a long way from where I live so I wonder if that would work...) and I can ask at the local libraries too... I may just have to be patient if I cannot find anybody

Again, thank you for the replies! Maybe art tutors are just not commonplace?

*edit* Ah, what is "craigslist"? Thanks!

*edit again* found craiglist.org haha... This is the only one advertised I could find anywhere close to my area and they are still very far away... So should I contact them or post a want ad? Thanks...
    Last edited by Need-Alot-Of-Help; May 26th, 2005 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    you sound a lot like that guy I-rely-on-your-pity and no-one-you-would-know....?

craigslist = all around free ad/posting site. good for finding used desks, apartments, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Need-Alot-Of-Help
    I've made sketchbooks here before but even with everyone's advice I just can't seem to learn.
    Did you used to post here under another name?

emily

Thanks
    you sound a lot like that guy I-rely-on-your-pity and no-one-you-would-know....?
    Yeh I am that guy. My name is Cameron Frye. I live in Damascus, MD. I'm not afraid of you or anybody at this forum. All I want to do is learn how to draw...

And thanks for craiglist.org I had never heard of that site before. Maybe I will post a want ad for the summer and hopefully somebody can help me.

Thanks
    you shouldn't be afraid of anyone here. You also shouldn't sell yourself short. I followed one of your books for a short while and you WERE improving, however excruciatingly slow you might have felt it was.

Anyway, that's an old, tired, topic. Goodluck finding a tutor and at the Kubert school.

Thanks
    Thank you. I know I am not welcome here or at any of the art forums on the internet so I will not keep posting. Also my parents told me not to because they said it was causing me too much pain (I'm sensitive). I hope I can learn at J.K. I hope I can find a good tutor for the summer soon...if at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast