Hiring/Finding Private Drawing Tutor?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hiring/Finding Private Drawing Tutor?

Hey everybody, I'm really stuck on my own so I wanted to ask this board for some information/advice.

I am going to art school this fall but my skills are really pitiful at the moment. I don't want to show up and be so far behind everyone else, especially since I have 3 months now that I want to spend more than anything on improving my drawing abilities. I have tried and tried on my own, but have come to the conclusion that I simply cannot help myself in this matter. I have also tried courses at the community college and they did not benefit me either...

I wish to hire a private drawing tutor that I could meet with several days a week for the next three months so that I could make some progress in my drawing abilities (and hopefully figure out how to help myself!). I had a 1-on-1 piano instructor before, and although I didn't stay long I learned things very quickly this way.

Does anybody know how I could go about finding/hiring a private drawing instructor? I'm going crazy with anxiety waiting to go away to school, and if I could make some progress before then it would give me a big confidence boost!

Thanks for reading; please reply I would really appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just surf a bit around the internet, google your city and the words "drawing course, academical drawing.. etc"
    or simply browse your local newspaper or go to your college and ask your art teacher if he knows anyone..

i found my current drawing teacher by accident on the internet and i'm very happy with him. although you can learn EVERYTHING on your own by simply drawing from life and THINKING carefully and trying to understand form, value, shading, color . etc..
    most important thing is to constantly DRAW!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, Lim. I will try the internet... I live in Damascus, Maryland by the way...

I already tried a 1-on-1 thing with a local teacher-big waste of time and bad experience. And I have already put in tons of time life drawing but it has never done me any good . I NEED someone to MAKE me learn....

I'll look on the internet now...

*edit* I just searched for drawing course academic drawing maryland on google and didn't get anything relevant. Anybody else have suggestions? I'll look in the newspaper too, which section would they put their information?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another advice would be to tell your friends to beat the shit outta you if you don'T show them a life drawing everyday or something like that

oooorr: buy a book about life drawing and drawing/rendering techniques.. etcetera. honestly, the more you draw the more you will want to draw all the time, but the impulse has to come from you, not a teacher. if you just need someone to give you asspats to make you feel good about yourself, go post at deviantart. otherwise, most importantly, start your own sketchbook thread here and you will recieve very helpful advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, in theory you can learn everything on your own, but it may be easier if you have someone guiding you. And a private tutor is a good idea if you have the money.

Too bad you are asking this now, cuz now the schools are in vacation time too. You could've post an ad in the local college school paper asking for a tutor, and some students may help you out, and sometime they may be better than you expect.

Or perhaps ask the local libraries about this too? Sometime public places like libraries would have info on this type of things, or give you suggestions where to look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe the school you're going to has a mentor or tutoring program...look into it.

and dont worry about being behind everyone, more likely than not you'll be around the same level as most of the others...there is a reason for going to school after all, and thats to learn.

bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could try craigslist. there's frequent 'tutor available' ads there... and if not, post a similar query to the one you posted here.

OR, you could hunt down some of the other people from MD on these boards, and ask them REALLLY nicely to go draw/sketch sometime. Don't ask them to 'tutor' you, just go draw with them and watch what they do... then try it yourself.

OR you could do what a lot of ca.orgers do..become a hermit for a few months... and draw ALL day. I mean literally ALL day... 8-12 hours. You'll get better by the end of the summer.

also, don't be SO worried about starting artschool, lots of people in year 1 of an artschool barely know which end of the pencil is the drawing end... it's sad, but true. then again, they learn throughout the artschooling, or they are there for a different discipline (film, photo, etc.) and just wind up in the drawing classes as an early requisite.

goodluck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have done lots of life drawing and it doesn't make me want to do it everyday... Usually I will do 3 weeks-3 months of life drawing for 1-3 hours a day and then suddenly drop it completely for another few months. I don't like it and I don't learn anything. I've made sketchbooks here before but even with everyone's advice I just can't seem to learn. Also I have a dozen or so "how-to-draw" books but none of them have helped me either...

I'm going to the Joe Kubert School this fall, I don't know of any kind of summer-programs but I will look into it... I'm not just worried about coming in behind everyone else (although I make Matt Groening look like a fine draftsman!), I also just really really more than anything in the world want to start learning how to draw and waiting for 3 months is tortuous, considering I know I cannot teach myself...

I'll look into J.K. having a summer program with 1-on-1 (though they are a long way from where I live so I wonder if that would work...) and I can ask at the local libraries too... I may just have to be patient if I cannot find anybody

Again, thank you for the replies! Maybe art tutors are just not commonplace?

*edit* Ah, what is "craigslist"? Thanks!

*edit again* found craiglist.org haha... This is the only one advertised I could find anywhere close to my area and they are still very far away... So should I contact them or post a want ad? Thanks...

Last edited by Need-Alot-Of-Help; May 26th, 2005 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you sound a lot like that guy I-rely-on-your-pity and no-one-you-would-know....?

craigslist = all around free ad/posting site. good for finding used desks, apartments, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Need-Alot-Of-Help
    I've made sketchbooks here before but even with everyone's advice I just can't seem to learn.
    Did you used to post here under another name?

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you sound a lot like that guy I-rely-on-your-pity and no-one-you-would-know....?
    Yeh I am that guy. My name is Cameron Frye. I live in Damascus, MD. I'm not afraid of you or anybody at this forum. All I want to do is learn how to draw...

And thanks for craiglist.org I had never heard of that site before. Maybe I will post a want ad for the summer and hopefully somebody can help me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you shouldn't be afraid of anyone here. You also shouldn't sell yourself short. I followed one of your books for a short while and you WERE improving, however excruciatingly slow you might have felt it was.

Anyway, that's an old, tired, topic. Goodluck finding a tutor and at the Kubert school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. I know I am not welcome here or at any of the art forums on the internet so I will not keep posting. Also my parents told me not to because they said it was causing me too much pain (I'm sensitive). I hope I can learn at J.K. I hope I can find a good tutor for the summer soon...if at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa man who said you werent welcome? everyone willing to learn is welcome and its obvious that you want to learn. people that arent welcome are people who think they are great yet draw like crap.

dont be a downer. you'll do fine...just stay positive and know itll take time.

bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No...thanks anyway, you may not know this but I have been banned from this forum and others over and over again already. I may be an idiot but I know I cannot even be tolerated by anyone. Besides, if I have proven one thing it is that I cannot teach myself how to draw. Probably nobody can. There is no point to subjecting myself and others to my miserable failures in public. I will suffer alone, as I should.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Need-Alot-Of-Help
    No...thanks anyway, you may not know this but I have been banned from this forum and others over and over again already. I may be an idiot but I know I cannot even be tolerated by anyone.
    Maybe threatening to torture and kill children is a bad tactic for you if that keeps happening. Just a thought. People tend to frown upon that sort of thing. If that's what we're supposed to tolerate then boo-fucking-hoo. People here have been nothing but helpfull untill you start that shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cut the drama. a lot of us can't draw as well as we want to. the difference between you and us is we don't threaten to kill ourselves for attention, or purposefully rush through and intentionally sabotage our own artwork for pity. i rely on your pity... hah.

you'll improve if you want to improve. try drawing with your weak hand for 3 weeks straight, not ever once using your strong hand. you'll see a tiny bit of improvement, and that SHOULD be enough of a boost to keep you motivated to try other new things.

instead of using the same materials that have failed you over and over again, try using things you've never even heard of, in terms of materials. or use what you have in a new way. the key word is new. new experiences force you to apply what you know, and in the process, expand upon what you know. boom, more knowledge in yo brain.

we're more than ready to help you, you just have to be ready to help yourself.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bizarre
    you'll improve if you want to improve. try drawing with your weak hand for 3 weeks straight, not ever once using your strong hand. you'll see a tiny bit of improvement, and that SHOULD be enough of a boost to keep you motivated to try other new things.
    Actually, I asked him and he said he always draws with his weak hand.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyYouWouldKnow
    I am naturally right-handed, but switched to using my left to draw with after reading "Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain" and being extremely desperate. It didn't help, but I am stubbornly going to stick to using my left hand after working so hard to build its dexterity over the years.
    He has shown improvement, his problem is he can't see it.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to get better, rely on your own motivation. Nobody can make you draw, you have to want to. Buy a couple bridgeman books and always have a sketchbook with you and draw whatever you see. Consistancy will be the toughest thing, so take it head on.

UnderSlept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't believe this shit has started all over again.

One question. Did you get a visit from the FBI?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guys, come on, it's an old, tired topic... let's drop all this ca.org angst crap.

For once I'm on HIS side... things were tame in THIS thread until I called him out on who he was, and I didn't mean to start us all PMSing again. Yeahyeah, there's been all sorts of past issues, but he was only asking a simple question in THIS thread.... there's no sense in beating a dead horse as to his standing in the ca.org community... you know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying this to slight in you in anyway...
    This is coming from the bottom of my heart...

1. You need a lot of help, professional counselling of some sort...
    And if you are, find a new Doctor, this one is not helping...

You seem to have some issues, that you'll need tackle before anything else...

2. In your other threads you say you don't go out, you don't have friends...
    well i strongly suggest once you get everything sorted, experience life a little...
    Make friends, find love, go out...get inspired...

3. Then come back to drawing, practice from everything magazines and books...EVERYTHING...

After your other threads you are lucky to have anyone respond to this...
    Do us a huge favor, don't come here with that self-hate bullshit...you sound like a whiny ass lil bitch...no one likes crybabies...especially 20-something year olds...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blankslatejoe
    guys, come on, it's an old, tired topic... let's drop all this ca.org angst crap.

For once I'm on HIS side... things were tame in THIS thread until I called him out on who he was, and I didn't mean to start us all PMSing again. Yeahyeah, there's been all sorts of past issues, but he was only asking a simple question in THIS thread.... there's no sense in beating a dead horse as to his standing in the ca.org community... you know?
    Totally. And please just help him find a tutor. After all thats what he asked for. Not much point to keep telling him to practice on his own, it's like telling someone banana is great when they ask where to buy apples.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi mr help

i don't recall ever having an argument with you, so i'll consider you a blank slate for now

anyway, i think you might have more luck in finding an *online* drawing mentor, if finding one irl turns out to be this hard..
    there are some things to take into account though:
    -be prepared to spend a LOT of time on this
    -expect criticism a-plenty and (reading through the comments you this thread got form others) be prepared to follow up on it.
    -most importantly: drop the no-hope attitude. it doesn't help. honest. it's annoying to both yourself and those trying to help you.

that said, i for one am willing to mentor your progress durign this summer - as much as time permits (which will not be a couple days per week - i have a family to support
    if you're truly serious about this, and want maximum results.. you can always *hire* someone to teach you. freebies only get you so far, you know.

contact me if you're interested

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you still not willing to draw nude models?

I guess a lot of drawing tutors will find that essential.

Life is study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Cameron
    I'm not sure if you're still following this, nor if this is profound, but many people find that art is a reflection of life. While many will advise you to draw until your fingers bleed, their point of view may be far different than yours. It is likely they have very active lives, and they progress well by working more. Others work very hard and don't see much improvement (whether it's there or not). Many times, one of the constraints is a lack of life experience. Marko recently posted a very wise passage regarding this very subject (his name's in the title and it's in the "Life Drawing..." forum). Life is about balance. Moderation in all things (and you shouldn't even overdo that).

I don't know your situation, but one thing I do know is that you're not alone. You may be very down on yourself, but if you think you are the only person in your situation, your failing to grasp the immensity of the human population. And while I think that a personal tutor might help, it might not. One of the finest ways to keep yourself unhappy and unfulfilled is to keep saying to yourself, "I'll be happy when..." or "I'll be better when...". Most people who say this allow others to live their lives for them (parents, boss, alien abductors, etc.).

Your life is your own; the sooner you start living it, the sooner you'll feel it's worth living.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Aside from your threats of torturing children and suicide, and then the damn dumb statement that you're not afraid of anyone on this forum (since we dont care all that much, its in the fbi's hands now) I have little against you. Just cut out that bullshit, will ya? ok. Here we go....

You need to find something else to do. You just do not have the right mentality, and after all this time one would think you'd have changed your mentality to something more positive. Go practice your piano some more, get that tutor back or another one. Learn that, you already have some skills in that area. I bet that at the time when you were learning the piano that was the only thing you wanted to do. You were ready to kill yourself if you wouldnt learn anything. You went on piano forums where you were repeatedly banned until someone pointed you towards an able tutor. He/she showed up on your doorstep ready to teach you and immediately you started showering him/her with comments on how bad you are at the piano, or you just hint at it for a long long time. Maybe you even call him/her during non tutoring hours asking him/her to teach you faster. When they say no, since they actually have a life, you go into a fit of angst which results in threats to torture children which in turn leads towards an restarining order and a feeling of utter depression. But then you look at some websites (possibly even this one) and whatever you learned so far on the piano goes out the window. Now drawing and conceptart, maybe classical art is your life. You go onto forums where you repeatedly are banned... et cetera (or however that is spelled).

Dude, go get some other hobbies (note, more than one) even some that you find boring. Hell, I found drawing boring as hell until I tried it out. Go clubbing, GET A GOD DAMN LIFE!

for fucks sake.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please lock this thread too. I am tired of being treated like the scum of the earth by people who have never met me, and only know a tiny fraction of my history and thoughts.

I am 21 years old, everybody hates me, and now I am logging out and never coming back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you think everybody hates you then good. don't come back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everyone, just drop it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4