School?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: School?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

School?

Umm I don't know if this is in the wrong place but, Is there an age limit to any schools? I really need to learn stuff but I'm not even 15 yet. so if anyone knows that would really help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could start taking life drawing/workshops at some college. They probably don't have age limits for those so give it a try!

It's good that you can get this kind of experience early on but don't think too much about this stuff at your age.

Finish your highschool first and goodluck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    age i believe has nothing to do with it; when i was under the age of 18 I still got accepted to do workshops with the Society of Western Canadian Artists.
    You just have to show them what you can do, and have a passion for learning. there's always exceptions, and if you're serious others will take you seriously. If you learn now you'll be one more step ahead and i say go for it!! it'll prepare you, and when you finish a final portfolio for the end of high school it'll be stunning! I know the post secodary schools here in canada offer drawing fundamentals, composition, character design, life, etc for high school students. so just look around and you'll find something for sure. The Edmonton Art Gallery here has comic/sculpturing, painting classes, etc for younger people too, so maybe try contacting someone at nearby galleries who can talk to you about any classes that are offered??
    i think it'll help you lots and as you develop your skills you're style will become stronger. you have great potential so just stick with it and you'll see how much you're talent will progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you guy's Im going to start looking around.
    I was also saving up for a wacom but I think I'm going to buy a gnomon workshop dvd or 2, any good suggestions?

Last edited by Insane14; May 26th, 2005 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I'd finish your highschool first.
    I've dreamed about an art-career too, and still do, but you never know what goes wrong and what other things might cross your path.
    I think it's best to open your eyes and mind for the world and its options during your high school. When you've finished that, you might be a little more certain about where you want to go with your life, and you could for example choose for an artcareer.

There's lots of other options to get art-education, like workshops and stuff, and even if there isn't, just go for it on your own. Draw like hell, draw lots of stuff and use different techniques. You won't be sorry about it when you start your artstudy later.

Don't cut off your other paths of life so early, that's my advise. It might turn out your true passion is medicine, and drawing is just something you do to chill out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a thought. Care to try CCS' Camp Portfolio for the summer? It's two weeks of actually living on a college campus with college-like classes for those of you in high school that are possibly interested in art.

http://www.ccscad.edu/textimg.cfm?pageID=69

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

For life drawing-look to a local artist

Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    You could start taking life drawing/workshops at some college. They probably don't have age limits for those so give it a try!

It's good that you can get this kind of experience early on but don't think too much about this stuff at your age.

Finish your highschool first and goodluck!

Most colleges and independent art schools do not allow people under the age of 18 to enroll in "life drawing" classes. I know this, because I worked as a figure model for the past 4 years (and continue to do so off and on) and every college and art school I worked for had the "18 and over" rule. If you really want to learn about figure drawing find a local artist who works with live models (figurative artists are almost always happy to help others learn; they use "live" models; and it will cost a lot less and probably be better than anything you could gain from a college program). Artists in your area can also give you a great foundation in the basics of drawing, color, value, composition, etc.. With that said - make sure you hunt down an artist with a "classical" background or understanding. It's great fun to be "creative"; but having a strong foundation to build upon is imperative (you can't put the gingerbread on a victorian house before you pour the foudation and build the structure). How can you find an artist? Ask your high school art teacher- trust me, he/she will probably know plenty of artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks everyone for the great replies Theres problems, I am home schooled but I can probably find an artist (my mom's friend teaches interior design at the art institute here and she probably has some friends there) but my mom won't let me do live models because i'm only fourteen
    but I can see wheres she's coming from. Once again thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, now that's funny. Silly prudish America. (or is it 'prude'?) What could possibly be wrong with seeing a nude person at fourteen?

Don't worry. As I said, do it on your own. There's a lot of good books with models in them that have their private parts covered by some cloth. You also have nude ones, but maybe you'll want to hide those from your mom.
    Ask your mom if you can buy a lingerie-book or something with people in swimsuits - lingerie still shows a lot of the body and swimsuits fit tight so you'll get the forms right (unlike wide robes).
    Or ask your mom if you can have nude pictures of members of your own sex, maybe she won't have a problem with that.

But give her proof that you're drawing them, maybe she'll think again about the livemodel.

Ps: lucky bastard. home schooled.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergaloth
    Haha, now that's funny. Silly prudish America. (or is it 'prude'?) What could possibly be wrong with seeing a nude person at fourteen?

Don't worry. As I said, do it on your own. There's a lot of good books with models in them that have their private parts covered by some cloth. You also have nude ones, but maybe you'll want to hide those from your mom.
    Ask your mom if you can buy a lingerie-book or something with people in swimsuits - lingerie still shows a lot of the body and swimsuits fit tight so you'll get the forms right (unlike wide robes).
    Or ask your mom if you can have nude pictures of members of your own sex, maybe she won't have a problem with that.

But give her proof that you're drawing them, maybe she'll think again about the livemodel.

Ps: lucky bastard. home schooled.
    Prudish Americans? You bet they're an uptight bunch!

Sometimes I'm appalled at how they look at nudity when it comes to the human form. There's nothing sexual about it whatsoever. But that's another battle for another time.

As far as models, why not just draw from observation? Draw people you see every day. Try drawing them from afar or like Zergaloth suggested, draw them out of books for now. It'll all add to your foundational drawing skills. And there's nothing wrong with drawing clothed people either- you learn a fair amount about drawing drapery as well.

Drawing's an exploration all unto itself and is neverending.

Good luck & keep striving for your dreams.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.