photoshop color swatch

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

photoshop color swatch

Hia! I'm new to the forum, so it's really great to see so much information available for us to use... thanks to all those that are contributing!

I have a specific request...(this is a modification from the origional posting)

I don't see any color, but I am learning to work around that. I am hoping some of you may have an idea where I can download a swatch file for photoshop that has the names of colors-- specifically the conversion of oil paints into RGB format. I've gotten a hold of a good wide array of digitized colors, but things like cadmium yellow and aliziran crimson are eluding me. I am not getting a response from adobe corporation.

anyone have any ideas?

There are no words to express my appreciaton on this.

Last edited by fil kearney; March 15th, 2003 at 06:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait a minute...

You can't see any colors? At all? So what do you see?

Or have I misunderstood you?

Last edited by Payback; March 15th, 2003 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My swatch file got the real names, maybe you can use that...

hmm, dont know the name of it though... hmm...

-ette stupidess.

franz Guest
    If you open your swatches palette and click "Reset swatches..." in the palette's menu and then select "Small list" from the same menu.. you don't get the 'painterly' names.. but at least names like 'Pastel Yellow Green', 'Light Yellow Orange', '20% Gray' and so on, which is better than nothing (or #aacc22) I guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    franz; thanks! I didn't know reset would do that! this is much better than nothing.

Hipshot; if you have a swatch that is different than what franz had suggested, then you can retrieve it by following the path...photoshop/presets/color swatches
    that will get you to your list of .aco files.
    feel free to email it to me thru fil@killfear.com

payback; nice question. eyes understand light thru two different utilities on the retina; cones and rods. cones pick up color and help with image resolution, rods work with peripheral vison and night vision.

what I see is a little different than what others may... Instead of having any cones, I have an extra dose of rods. So I don't have the ability to identify colors(hues), but I work with density and light/dark. a very dense color will seem "richer" to me than a saturated color, and light/darkness is fairly self explanatory. so, a light, dense color may match a darker, more saturated color. greens and yellows or blues can often be interchangeable to me, depending on the density and lightness.
    in addition, I have developed a feeling for "heat" over the years. when I was young, a dense, dark red was indistinguishable from blacks or real dark blues. But red and orange put off a lot of heat. I can now identify red 90+% of the time, and oranges a good 75%. everything else around 60%...
    oddly, when I am off when identifying a color, at times it turns out I guess something is the color OPPOSITE on the color wheel from the correct answer. don't have any idea why yet, but there it is.

Here are my beginning efforts with color;
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/warblade.jpg
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/mcarcher.jpg
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/arm.jpg
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/colorgirl.jpg
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/elecover.jpg
    http://68.98.12.180:180/killfear/pics/flag.jpg

These pieces were done before I realized the importance of screen calibration, which is a different rant altogether, so these may appear a little washed out.
    what I have been doing is using color references off of photopraphs. I'll use the info palette to capture information about the different colors used in the picture, and then steal them for the piece I am working on. the flag pictures are a great example of this. I went to a website about flag specifications and just copied the colors onto my pallette and labeled it as "us flag red", "us flag blue", china flag red" etc. It's a very slow process, which is why I am hopeful that swatches exist with colors already properly labelled.

again, Thanks to anyone who can help guide me in the right direction.

franz Guest
    You know, I sometimes wish I had a switch on my head that would allow me to toggle color perception on or off at will.. Pencil drawing from life would be so much easier

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ther again. When I post a question, it often motivates me to look again from a different perspective. I managed to get a digital listing of many colors, like all 140 colors suported by netscape navigator, for instance, but I am missing a huge array of colors typical to painting-- like cobolt blue, or cadmium yellow, etc.. I am still searching for a url that may provide that, but if anyone has one already, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color swatches for photoshop

Hi,

I think you should buy the tubes of paint you want, paint swatches analog, let them dry and scan them.

Use this file as your swatch to "dip in" and name your swatches as you need them.

I've done this based on artists I like (Tintin, Mobius etc).

Hopes it helps.

Leo

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some links I thought might interest anyone wanting to learn more about colour perception.

http://www.firelily.com/opinions/color.html
    http://www.essaybank.co.uk/free_coursework/509.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi, here is a suggestion for you ... you can probably explain and get them free... go to a home repair store and pick up one of those books that usually has a screw thru one end and has all the brands/colors/hues of all the companies paint colors... usually like 5 hues per page and they are all in little rectangles and have the names labeled on the back

perhaps if you did that.. you could scan them in and label them as you go ... they have every color you can tink of and they are already in rectangles and label on the back !

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I've been gathering up resources, and looking at the links provided.
    thee's alos some good color theories out on fellow members' websites about using color that I have been sucking up like a sponge.

thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, i have the exact same problem was you

i am almost compleatly colour blind.
    supposidly we have better night vision than everyone elce.

really,, i am absolutly hopeless identifying colours and so i mostly work in black and white. check it out . gallery link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fil,
    I hope this helps. I spent seven years in the print industry and have a few suggestions:
    Merely scanning a color is only a partial solution. Scanning has too many erroneous byproducts (artifacting and moray patterns for starters) causing a great deal of inaccuracies in the color.
    Should you decide on this method, the scanner itself should be a higher quality than your standard retail model, but I wouldn't recommend using one.
    My suggestion is have your monitor calibrated first, then purchase a PMS colorswatch (from pantone) with traditional names printed on it. They are pricey, but worth the accuracy they provide. It's also an industry standard and if you decide to work with anyone else then you'll both be on the same track. Another cost effective solution is to purchase the paints and create your own traditional swatch. In Photoshop, pick a color from the swatch that's close and open the color picker. Use the swatch against your monitor as you calibrate the color picker by dialing the numbers in directly and using the arrow keys to jog the numbers up and down. You'll not only get an accurate representation, but your expectations will almost always be met for output. If you're colorblind, then bribe a well-visioned friend (of legal drinking age) with a beer to assist you, but don't let him have the beer until after the calibrating, otherwise you might have well scanned in the first place :-)
    Anyway, a bit windy, but hopefully helpful.

"Do or do not, there is no try."
    YODA -- a long time ago...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fil and alti: guys (gals?) i do so respect you and the work you put into your art!

i only suffer from being a lil bit crosseyed, nothing that looks disturbing () but enough to let all the doctors say i am not able to perceive depth. i can't judge that for myself since i find i can actually see depth of things. i have no idea if it is by knowledge of the underlying structure (perspective knowledge), color, paralaxing objects (relative movement of different "layers of scenery" - trees close to the road move faster when driving than trees away from the road and they all move faster than the moon, relatively) or some other workarounds or the real thing and the doc was wrong.
    anyway, i don't find i'm suffering from that really but seeing next to no color at all sound like something that is hard to find workarounds for.

all my respect to you!

franz: yeah, that switch would be neat... i would imagine that nice if it was codeable via a simple mathematical script language...
    getting a double dose of all perceptors and having different presets... inverted, psychedelic, reds only, b/w, hue only...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colours

If you are still determined to usig colours I would recommend using only a limited colour palette that way you don't have to spend unnecessary messing about with colours you don't actually need.

I would say that Black and white work is just as important if not more so than colour work because you can concentrate on tone, texture and depth! These aspects are to me what defines an image.

One technique to consider would be to use the colorize option and select parts of an image at a time and colorize them the full spectrum is shown (certainly in Photoshop) so you can work out what colour you are using. This also gives a very unique style which is timeless and is seen constantly in photography and television (even film, see Pleasantville) but I am yet to see it in Art!!

Anyway just had to throw in my 2 cents worth.
    Good Luck Fil

Members who have read this thread: 1