Thanks

Original Star Wars on DVD!

ok, so not really, but there is an online petition that you can sign to hopefully have George consider releasing the original on DVD.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/index.cfm

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I didnt realize that you could not get the original versions on DVD. I rented them the other day, and I figured I'd just grabbed the wrong ones. I was quite disappointed, since the last thing I wanted to see was a crappy CG jabba the hut.

Thanks
    i signed it. i prefer the older ones any day.

Thanks
    Whats wrong with the new ones boys? I think they did alot better job on Jabba, since they rivised it. Granted, I think the additional scenes aren't nessasary, but they do look cool. I do hate the new Jabbas palace singalong session in Jedi. This ruins the mood of the whole scene.

Thanks

That's whats wrong with the new ones.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    I don't think anyone would have a problem with the new ones IF the old ones were available separately as well. Trying to relive old star wars memories when you were a kid and seeing a CG jabba just doesn't work.

Anyway, I happily signed that thang.

Thanks
    I don't think the new ones are going to be available for some time - if ever.
    I read a while back Lucas tried to get the copies of the original movies in the National Archives replaced with the newer CGI-enhanced ones. The NA people said no.

But don't fret. I think in 5-7 years from now, another movie will come along like The Matrix or Lord of the Rings that will be so popular, people will adopt its catchphrases while its characters instantly become part of pop culture. Once uncle Lucas sees this, he'll start making noise about releasing the original versions of the movies on DVD just so people focus their attention back on him.

Or look at it another way, with the current remake trend in Hollywood, the originals will be released on DVD the month before the remake of A New Hope opens.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod

That's whats wrong with the new ones.
    right on brother......

The thing that sucks is Lucas is being such a hippocrit, with that quote of his on the first page of the link, complaining about the colorization of old black and white movies, and how important it is to preserve the original state of the release, but what he is doing is EXACTLY the same thing. I can tolerate not pulling off a new trilogy in the Star Wars universe, but going back and putting a bunch of flashy crap in the old series and screwing with such an important nostalgic memory for a lot of people, thats where i draw the line. Star Wars was the the one set of movies I was looking forward to owning on DVD more than anything, but Im not gonna dish out money for this new crap.

Thanks
    Gah. I have never watched the DVD release, and I don't plan to. The copies of the original trilogy that I own on VHS are actually the Special Edition release, which I'm not too shook about watching, as I like the Jabba scene, Biggs, the extra Cloud City stuff, the changed ending of Return of the Jedi, as well as the cleaned-up stuff like the sharper matting in the Battle of Hoth and the overall polishing it got. I don't like any of the other changes, though, especially the Greedo bullshit, the Sarlacc changes, and the way they show the Wampa. It was more dramatic when we couldn't see the thing. And then they come up with the DVD stuff, where they say "to tell you the truth, we can't really decide whether Han or Greedo shot first" and "No one liked that other guy who was Anakin Skywalker for fifteen years. Everybody loves Hayden, because he's sexy and he can't act. So let's cut out that old guy and slap him onto there". Signed. I want copies of the original cuts anyway.

Thanks
    eh, screw hope, I just ordered some good ole pirated versions of the original on DVD. Hopefully they dont suck in quality....