Sketchbook: Seth's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seth's Sketchbook

Heres some old and some new.

feel free to tear me apart, i love critisism! you can't get better without it. HELL, thats what we're all here for, progression

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice..i really like the first set..the way you did the hair is very nice. no crits, just bring more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome stuff. I like the first and last pictures the best. You look like a gen13 fan, just by looking at your characters. I like it. Keep up the good work. Hope to see some more posts soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!

here are some really old and random sketchbook shots.

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man! These are fuckin' stellar Seth! Heh, that guy with the sideburns 4th page up looks a lot like me. Craziness... or maybe I just look like a cartoon character.

Anway, you've got really nice attitude and life in your sketches. I'm assuming those are self portraits at the top? They're awesome. I love the exageration in them, it's working so damn well. I don't really have any crits. I love that little drawing of the guy holding his fists up in the first post, 2nd to last page. Man your understanding of form and light is so refreshing to see, and of course the animated/cartoon style is always a major plus in my eyes. Plus, you're in SF, and that's infinately cooler than being in L.A. in almost all respects. I'm from Santa Rosa... Nor Cal till I die.

Anyway, can't wait to see more. Peace out man!

-Daniel

P.S.
    One more thing! Your girls are pretty damn cute

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great stuff, i dig how you capture a rendered image along with that cartoonish style in your self portrait series up there. are those from reference? i'm assuming at least a few are based on the crazy expressions in them. The "long face" SP is probably my favorite, it's comical and beautiful...

and the big lipped girl below is almost nauxiously good, in kind of a Ren and Stimpy sort of way. i'd like to see a short comic strip with your style, assuming you are funny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first set of heads are great
    the clean and soft shading gives it a great feel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good drawings. I like a lot the first set of heads. I guess auto portraits? I don't like only the martial artist (the 5th picture). His spine looks quite unnaturally curved. Nobody who knows how to fight would bend like this (this is pure loss of energy). His wrist is also bended, he certainly will hurt his wrist if he punches that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn These Are So Awesome! I Love The Style And Attitude! Rock On!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Suuuuuuuuper Coool!

I love those first self portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool characters, they have a lot of personality. The self portrait is great, its totally different than the cartoon ones. I dunno what to critic, just keep drawing?

]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daniel - I'm honored to hear such positive input from someone as talented as you, thanks bro! ...lets hear it for nor cal and the hot and inspiring women i see on a daily basis! ahh, refreshing

Gregory - I actually never use picture referances. I have this thing about it. I feel guilty. Like I'm cheating, know what I mean? When theres no way around it, I am sure to note it but would rather not have to if at all possible. As for the self portraits at the top, they were done the old school way, a mirror. I've noticed that most artists I've met have a very cartoon-like set of facial expressions. those are a sample of mine. believe it or not I actually look like that! as for a comic strip, scroll down to the bottom. not quite what you asked for but what I'm screwing with now.

ivan.R - ha, true true. its all in good fun. i actually taught Taekwondo for five years. this shot is just a doodle turn sketch. its more for aesthetic appeal. i'll have to redo that one correctly and use my knowledge of fighting to my advantage. thanks, the ideas are comming!

wow, thanks everyone for the input. i appreciate everyones comments

okay! update time! next are some storyboards i threw together in two nights between classes so i know the rendering sucks and detail has quite a bit to be desired. i used a few cheap tricks to get her done. these are quite rough so i know the technical issues.

i'm doing an animatic for it in after effects this weekend. i have a surprise ending i haven't finished yet as well. without it, its kinda lame but once introduced, will finish strongly.

i'd like some input as to the camera angles via the building of tension if anyones up for suggestions. must have them in within the next two days though. i'm diving into it soon.

PUSH ME!!!

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, i feel the same way about references, especially since i still have to learn so much...

a question about your last post... i'm assuming that you'll use the black boxes as the frame(camera) and the arrows deliniate motion, but are you going to draw each frame or do vectors and then animate those?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your right on the money with the arrows etc.

as for the look, i'm going for animating the 2D boards as 3D paper. in other words, i'm redrawing these storyboards and with the help of PS, layering the various aspects of each element and entering them into after effects to give a life by focusing, zooming etc. improvisation basically. whatever i can come up with.

so...no vectors, just sketches put into frames via after effects. it should look just like the final cartoon but rough and missing frames.

that help?

...heres a couple 60 second gestures from april

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those gestures are quite nice. i really like the flow they have

also, your first piece is the shittttt!!!! you should do more in the same vein. it's very stylistic but convincingly realistic (nice combo)

i will definitley be stopping back. POst MORE!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for sending the PM.

your work is definetly refreshing! you have a very cool style, love your line work and your shapes, oh especially your expressions (that always gets me). So your an animation student? your little story you got going is really nice and simple, wonderfull character designs its great that both characters are both stumpy/fat instead of the classic big bully and skinny/wimpy nerd.

so im guessing the nerd eventually learns some sorta martial arts? i feel like the story is missing something I dont know what it is exactly but would it be too much to have one short scene where we see the nerd go and check out a martial arts book at a library or possibly rent some kung fu movies? (it does show the nerd in one shot either practicing some kung fu moves or it looks like he is just really frustrated at being bullied) maybe if we see it actuallly animated w/ sound itll explain all of that.

ok i am blabbering... keep posting!!!! im watching you

"The only thing that the world will not have enough of is exaggeration"
    Salvador Dali
    ------
    Don's Daily Sketches! -yay-
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you couldn't be more right. in fact, during each shot of the house at night you hear yelling and eventually, by the third time, you see him in the window practicing.

as for the odd size of the nerd, that goes along with the end i hope to have time to include. anything to step farther out of the norm and i'm down. as of now its just a typical bully vs dork story.

thanks for the positive input and critisism!

heres some figure drawings from last month. they were quick but i managed to get the just

Seth's Sketchbook

Seth's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Goooooodddd Ssssssssshhhttuuuuffff!!!

wow wow wow is all i could say....i wonder if i could get together with you and actually share ideas. i want to design some shirts and i think your work will help me sell it. what do you think?

creativeness is one that can't be taken away...free your mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that sounds great, PM me and we'll talk more about it

-Seth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seth!

these are amazing. such great representation of form in simple lines. your toon work is great!! feed us more! PLEASE.

who are your strongest influences? and where are you going to school at?

-apollonuevo

Last edited by ApolloNuevo; June 9th, 2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy smokes. those are amazing. can't wait to see more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apollo: i'm currently going to ex'pression college for new media in emeryville CA. its for 3D. now, i'm toying with Maya and building a victorian house similar to those in San Francisco. <br><br>
    Seth's Sketchbook<br><br>i started yesturday so this is nothing like it will look like in the end, just a begining. i'll have a couple characters built withing the month as well. i'm still toying with ideas for what type of characters i'm going to do. any ideas?

-Seth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice post man, I like your style. Though maybe work on some of your gestures and proportions? Good luck at school as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I really like your comic like sketches on the first pages and the storyboard's cool too. But those life drawings show room for lots of improvement i think.
    Keep notice of your values and try to draw what's actually there, not what's in your mind or what you think is there..
    Look at the last life drawing in particular, the face almost looks like a comic type face, be carefull with that.
    The drawings are in sharp contrast with your expression page at the top. There you stretch the bounderies of life well, nice tonal range, leaving some areas white and others more rendered, beautifully done.
    Also, don't smudge your pencil too much , it oftens gives you that dirty page look, just crosshatch or something if you want an area to be shadowed.

Keep it up
    Tom

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig the gestures, but i think (especially in the first one, your weight could be better, even though they are quite good (and very economical, which is the best way to draw gestures, if you got the goods)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE the facial distortions, those are so cool! And the rendering on the first post...sigh. How did you do that? Just real fine light building up with a regular old pencil, or did you use art pencils? C'mon, cough up! Sooner or later I will get someone to tell me how to render properly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome! love the attitude in your characters!

I like how your drawings have this mix linework with a lot of strait lines, and some curved ones that makes the drawing pop out!

I'm interested in the 360 character's and storyboard, do you have a finish animation? I would like to see it.

-heri

Zero to Sixty in 4.6 drawings!
    Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

I dig it.

Cobi

"If you're nose deep in sh*t, keep your mouth closed."-Henry Fonda

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your unique drawing style. Very clean and crisp. I like the first post with the different expressions. Very cool.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ART Adict - thanks for the crit. from the first one i'm sure you could tell that i know how to do it. the last couple you refer to do have much to be desired but lack of time didn't allow and i'm one of those guys that though we only got five minutes i wanted it to look like ten. so, when the model was done, i felt like i did what i set out to do but your right. you loose a lot of quality while forcing yourself to work too quick. as for the smudge stick, yes, it can make things look perfectly redered or sloppy.

Gregory - thanks for the crit. which one are you refering too? they were both very quick but i do want them to have weight. what would you suggest is lacking and what would improve it?

Teigrob - believe it or not, i used a technical pencil on 8 1/2 x 11. not normal, i know. i just get tired of sharpening tha damn things...lazy i guess. but theres no secret that i know of. just get the values as best as you can with the pencil, whatever kind and smudgestick the tight areas for more realism.

heri - i'm still working on the animatic but almost done. how do i post that?

thanks again everyone, more VERY soon! actually, i could have more now, i'm just not sure if anyone wants to see a 3D house. if anyones down, let me know and i'll post it otherwise, theres a couple day wait on character design.

-Seth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.