Sketchbook: Update:: 8.22.09 - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Update:: 8.22.09

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I were browsing after your sketchbook before, hm.. coulnt find it untill now!!
    Ok, the twins in the newest picture, looks creappy, like those comics in the news paper! , well, thats only the poses, the design is still cool
    everything else is awsome! ,as always!
    however, you have a very supporting SSG looking after you
    I wish mine was that active also
    Great stuff, and keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nii :: whats going on man thanks for the sketchbook visit again I took your advice and dropped it a couple a notches. Anyways thanks for sharing your honest opinion its greatly appreciated!

Skeiff :: You make a good point about drawing from real live people, I really don't do it enough, so i'll try to draw my girlfriend and my friends a bit more.

Stine:: yeah you are right she is a bit masculine mainly because of her face structure and her Sternomastoid muscles I will definitely work on my variety of female drawings.

Krakel:: Thanks for visiting the sb, and thanks for your compliments!

Ivan R.:: Yeah you have a point about the trapezius muscle its big because i made her neck too long but good observation!

Dile:: Thanks bro, I really appreciate your comments and you are correct the poses are weak i need to force myself to practice them that isn't one of my strong points. Thanks for the compliment on my SSG. You're one of my main inspirations being only 14 and working as hard as you do keep it up buddy.

Here are a couple of new revised concepts i thought the twins were too bulky so i leaned them up a bit. these suprisingly didn't take me long at all. I guess i am getting a little faster.

I forgot i'm on page 3 now hell yeah!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ashrumm, Thanks for visiting my SB. Nice SB you've got here, your really progressing! I love those anatomy studies, the B&W ones on natural paper. Good work can't wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress with the twins, proportions issues I'm sure you noticed when you had a second look at it. Glad to hear your getting quicker, practice more, draw anything to keep the creative and drawing juices flowing.

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy is looking A LOT better. Those figures are looking good. Don't quit now though, keep it up, full speed! Very wise decision to make them less bulky. A bulky figure can look too generic and comic like sometimes, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh, that are really nice updates! i like the leaner versions better, too. fits their not so heavy armor better, i guess. gives the impression that they're more quick fighters with agility - the one handed weapons supports that quite nicely, too... very good, looking forward to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments everyone, this is another quick one i did today it was inspired by a friend of mine. Its kind of funny i don't think he was very pleased i drew him as a knife guy so i'll have to do more. My goald for this page is to really dive into my tablet, most of what i post will probably be crappy but its only to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those newer poses looks alot better than the old twin' poses!
    great improvement! Keep it up and thx!

shit, it was nice talking to you guys via Skype!
    we gotta do that again soon, it could improve my "english" also

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sketchbook..... Cool stuff over all.... but i really dig those studies on toned paper.....Very nice.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, i missed that update til now! sorry, similar thread-title confused me, i guess... nice one! the hands seem a little big (especially his right) and i think he could use a slightly wider torso. but i really like that design. didn't know one could have so many knives on one man...
    looking forard to your new tablet stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stine:: you are right his torso is a bit narrow and his hands is a bit big i could have made his feet bigger though.

Arya:: Thanks i plan on doing many more studies in the future.

Dile:: Thanks buddy i enjoy the conversations as always keep on drawing you're a great inspiration for Darron and myself.

Here are some concepts for a project i am working on with some friends right now we are in the concept stage. I am excited to be working on this project.
    i'd also like to ad that these were Marko influenced
    side profile

and 3/4 profile of the same guy

3/4 profile

another side profile

One thing i noticed is my ears really suck bad so i'm gonna follow this up with some ear studies, because i haven't done them in a while.

Last edited by Ashrumm; May 3rd, 2006 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOooh I love the first one, one thing if your going to hatch the background as you've done it's gotta be darker than the rest of the drawing, other than that nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ham-e:: Thanks for checking out the sketchbook and you are correct i should of shaded the background darker that is such a good point. The funny thing about that is i was up really late when i did all of those, but no excuse i'll make a mental note of that.

Here are some simple ear studies i just did since the ears sucked on these last guys i thought i should pay a little more attention to them.

A page of ears a a few different angles

This is an ear i did with my tablet from memory about 3 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you've been busy Ash! Excelent stuff. Still needs work on some areas of the head, try lightly drawing in a skull so you get better proportions when adding details. A skull is good to draw from life, but use good ref photos at different angles if you can't get a hold of one. The ears are looking good, the digital shows you commited alot to memory so good job. That's enough from me, looking foreward to more, bye for now.

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting heads! is that the detailed head design for the knife- guy? cause i think it would be a very good match... i find it extremely difficult to draw the same face in different head positions. really like the hairdo and the facial painting idea. it's interesting you gave him these very low corners of the mouth, cause that's normally a very female attribute... anyway, wouldn't want to meet this guy in the dark.
    the ear studies are REALLY good, admire your patience for doing them. i normally go for the "well you know there should be an ear, so i draw an oval thing and you'll know what i mean" thing... great updates, see ya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook man, i specially love your anatomy studies... now for some tips from Gringo... well, i'd suggest handling some looser lines. In your character designs, their poses seem way to rigid. they shouldn't be forced like that. Try working from gesture drawings first, & later go on adding layers of progressive detail. the ink pen can help you at that. first layout the sketches with pencil, then grab the pen and start inking it little by little! Also, don't be afraid to erase! Keep it up man! & thx for posting in my SB...

later,
    GRiNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nii :: thanks for your input you are correct with your statement on a few of the head drawings up there i am having proportion issues. And drawing the skull is exactly what i am going to do with my next anatomy studies. Thanks for the input as always.

Stine :: you know what i went back to look at the lips of the characters i drew and you are right they look feminine, good eye. and thanks again for your visit Stine great job.

Gringoloco:: Thanks for the visit and you are right i should try a more gestured approach and not so much of a linear approach to my concept design. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks again for your visit.

Okay so what i decided to do this morning since most people neglect ears i decided to introduce a quick ear tutorial i learned from an instructor last semester it has been a while since i did it so i had to kind of reteach it to my self so here it goes. Its designed to break the ear down into a series of quick steps. This is from the side angle but believe me it works from the front and 3/4 as well. I hope it isn't too messy because i did it with my tablet. Please feedback is welcome if anyone has a better way let me know i'm learning as well.

STEP 1 :: we all know the ear doesn't look this geometric but i believe that breaking it down into a basic geometric design helps in visualizing the basic structure. There are a series of seven lines that make up the basic outline

STEP 2 :: the dotted line marks the following step as you can see it pretty much follows the directon of the outside contour but it doesn't curve at the bottom.

STEP 3:: This is where it can get a little tricky but pay close attention to the arrows. This is the inner section of the ear my sculpture teacher calls it the conch. This dotted line forms the inner portion of the ear.

STEP 4:: This step is adding the little details, what i like to call depth folds.
    enjoy

COMPLETION:: What a generic ear will look like i did this from memory keep in mind that everyone's ear is different but should follow these basic guidelines.

Here is a finished rendered ear with the pencil following those same steps look for all of the signs i showed you guys in the rendered version , see if you can locate the basic shapes.

if there is any confusion please let me know, i didn't have much time when i did this but i hope this helps.

I WANT TO SEE EARS FROM THE MEMBERS OF MY SKETCHBOOK SO GET TO IT!! THAT IS AN ORDER SSG 20

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the ears. Good stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aye aye, sir! next portrait will have (green) ears. (thanks for the tutorial, great one!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking through your thread shows so much progression in such a short time! Impressive. The last heads are looking great. Not sure about the tutorial though. I think when doing an ear like that you're restricted to only one kind of ear and not very much angles. Structure is the key. But who am I to tell you this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord Ashrumm! I have failed you. I mistook your tutorial for a lesson in surgical removal of an ear. But whilst I still have these in my possesion I will complete our assignment nonetheless as a portait of ultimate deffness.

ps. Would you like these for trophies, I'm afraid I can't return them less I'm found out and duely punnished for my crimes. Forgive me my lord.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice ear tutorial. They are looking good! I'm going to try and give you a constructive critic because I realize that saying "keep it up" and "they look good" can't possibly help you in the long run. So with that said, The one thing you should work on is your shading. It's a bit sloppy and goes in every direction. If you tighten it up and follow the same direction, your stuff would have more of a "real" look too it. Check out how Skureal does it on this whole page : http://www.storage05.de/stuff/sketch_89.jpg and also here http://www.storage05.de/stuff/sketch_90a.jpg.

Also, steak-tron does it as well, and I have always admired the way he does it. Like this: http://www.kempart.com/posts/jan0605.jpg and this: http://www.kempart.com/posts/jan0607.jpg

Shading is all about the planes that they are on. Whichever way the plane is directed is also the direction you should shade. Try just doing little practices with it in your sketchbook, it doesn't even have to be on a drawing, just take a shot at getting those tight lines down. If you are rendering a picture, your shading should have as much thought put into it as your lines do.

And with all THAT said, remember this quote from Mentler: "Shading is not something to depict, but something to depict with"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Very nice tutorial.
    The latest heads/face/portraits look very
    good!, you seem to go on highspeed!
    alot of updates within this week! Great to see!

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice ears and thanks for sharing with us that tutorial. I don't know maybe I will draw an ear these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... These are some nice pictures, i actually feel a bit inspired to push myself back into it more. Thanks!

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ham-e:: Thanks for your comments i'm trying to get better like everyone else

Stine:: Its very cool that you did a green portrait, I cannot wait to see what comes next from you Stine.

Faust:: Did you try the ear tutorial just looking at isn't a good indication of it being a good tutorial or not. Try it out it will help you i garuantee it. it could be better and after finals i will refine it for everyone.

Nii::Haha, very cool post, i liked your ears by the way.

Skeiff:: Thanks alot Skeiff for your crits it couln't have been better timing!! I really like what you had said those drawings are awesome who are the arstists by the way i'd like to view more of thier works.

Ivan R.:: Thanks for the comments, and i saw your ears as well Ivan thanks for doing them.

Sepulvulture:: Thanks, and i'm glad i could help in motivating you.

Dile:: Thanks Dile, i'm trying to get better, so look out for more stuff coming up soon.

Not a huge update today, but nonetheless its an update. another head concept for the comic i'm starting to work on. its 3/4 and side view. i'm having issues with rendering but i'm starting to focus more energy towards rendering thanks to skeiff.
    This one was done really quickly I didn't pay attention to rendering too much with this one

Now on the side view i put more energy into the rendering it didn't turn out like i wanted my rendering doesn't support the form fully its a bit flat and still unrefined. But i'm getting a little better i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice character! But what are these lines a tattoo? That does not looks like a tattoo to me. Try to make the lines more smooth and try to follow the curvature of the head, that way it will look more like a tattoo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, great design! like it a lot. makes me curious how the place/environment looks where all those guys are living. seems quite grim... one thing i notice is that you keep the eyes (compared to all the other feautures) really simple and that's probably the point where the viewer looks first and most. so i would spend just a little more time on them...
    your progress really shows - it's obvious you paid more attention to the rendering in the second one! especially the hair of the second is well done, because you can really see the different layers.
    very, very cool! looking forward to your next design!
    cheers,
    stine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stine:: Good observation i'll work on detaling the eyes out especially on the portraits because they are so large i should be doing some detail to the eyes.

Ivan R:: Hey you are correct the tattoo was done very quick and lazily it should wrap around the form but i was sick of rendering this one. I'll pay better attention to this one next time around.

I haven't posted in a few days due to final projects and what not so things are a bit hectic mainly due to the fact that its the last week of the semester. Here are a few things i scratched up recently.

This is another concept for the main character of the comic i think he's too muscular for what the story calls for so i'll work on toning him down as well.

This is me practicing tight rendering

This is another practice peice with rendering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The render practice is really nice. The eye is done very good. The women has really the big eyes and very very long neck. It looks scary that way you may create some horror character from it

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.