Sketchbook: Update:: 8.22.09 - Page 16

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Nice studies.

The characters need more balance though, consider their weight and position. Like the last one, the pose would read better if her upper half above the hips was tilted the other way. The guy above her also looks like he's off balance.

SSG 37
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    amazing work youve imporved at an alarming rate i'll have to train harder to keep up 8)

Ashrumm-- thanks for the encouraging words on my sb! I found your Bridgman studies from earlier this month around post 11 and they look spot-on to my eyes. It was awesome to see you've done the same studies I am trying, I could see how they're really done .

Hi there! Very impressive SB ^_^ Specially liked looking through your studies. Very motivating. Also good portraits - recognized Tilda Swinton right away without reading the post ^^ And I love how you did the wings on this one: http://onajii.com/a_sketches/black-angel.jpg
    Well, keep up the great work. Thanks for stopping by my SB!

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Alex Baer is offline Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive
    you have some nice pencil work here and i dig your painings, they seem loose but with some control and i think that is very hard to do, and i like your solor schemes as well.

My Sketchbook

Soldiers/Mercenaries SB

"Ooh! Now that's good work! The skulls... the bodies... you give it all such a glow! I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

Wow what an inspiring sketchbook congratulations. Your faces turn out really good

If you think you can t Draw, just draw more

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1207915

beautiful work, nothing i can really add on top of that, keep at it man

Nam:: Good observation I'll will have to pay closer attention in my future attempts at movement thanks for the crit!!

Grandmassa Mr. Spect:: Thanks alot i still need alot of working that especially includes digi work!!

GenusBryonia:: Thanks speaking of studies i definitely have to start doing them again especially hands and feet.

Aila:: Thanks alot i need to post more often school started for me and i'm finding myself really busy. Must improve time management.

Dabaers:: thanks D, I still need much work!

Nistarn:: Thanks, but i still think they are missing something.

invinciblewombat:: thank you I still need more work!!

Here are just a few of some of drawings i have been working on recently.
    random or related to the a personal project i am working on. Tell me what you guys think. No need to hold back. I need all the help i can get. Thanks everyone for your support!!

I'm liking the updates, the anatomy is looking good too.

Is it just me or are your characters all leaning to the left, so I take you're left-handed

About your characters: they are quite imaginative already I think, nnice! Y'know, there could always be the bithing about line-quality and stuff but that doesn't seem to be a problem now, just experiment with your hatching from time to time and it should look very nice.

But your poses! They are mad boring if you ask me. First, there are no hints of perspective in them whatsoever, what just makes them flat. It is like seeing a cube in front of you without seeing the sides, the top or the bottom. The most easy thing would be to bend the hips or the shoulders a bit so that we can see that this is actually something in 3D. The next thing I'd very much criticise is the anatomy in the last one. It is simplyfied so much that is stops looking good to me. Dude, If I knew the name of the muscles I would name them to you, but I don't, you should know better than me though, having studies all those anatomy-books. But the torso is not just stomach-muscles, Breat-muscles and those muscle-things on the side. That is way to easy. The Horns look nice though and your faces are neat overall.

Please take my critique with a grain of salt, I'm just a sucker!

so I take you're left-handed
The "leaning-to-the-left-side" is something that most right handers does : ) So I believe very much that Aaron is right handed.. : )

Anyways, fantastic work Aaron.. You've really stepped up with the quality.
I do agree with Faust on his critique, I wouldn't say "mad boring" but they are kinda "stiff".. You've got a book on hogarth ? Those books are invaluable for dynamic drawing, so if you can get your hands on them (should be kinda easy! they are cheap too ) you can learn one or two things out of them ; ) Thats a promise hehe. Really, experiment with the anatomy more, twist ,bend and extend etc You'll enjoy drawing characters a lot more when you have more knowledge how to make the anatomy more dynamic.

Again.. Your stuff is coming along bloody great! Keep it up Aaron!

Great critiques, I definitely need to work on poses!! Thanks guys!

come to think about it, your figures look like they are falling over to the left, and they do not look like they are in gravity(looks like they are floating). Other than that I like your costume design.
    Keep practicing on gestures/poses. I'd suggest getting Marko Djurdjevic's dvd too.

hmmm my anatomy instructor told us that humanoid with wings are anatomically incorrect that's because we only have one pair of scapulas, and wings are essentially arms.

You some nice character works here, i really love the way you hatch to define form and shame. Really makes the image pop.

Keep Posting!

my sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103239

My website: coming soon

hi there ^^ yeh things are busy with me and college too
    Nice new updates though! Although there's something about the legs of the first guy, I'm thinking they're a little long in relation to the torso? Or intended?
    anyway keep it up, good luck in finding a balance with college. I've yet to find mine too

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

any more casts/figure drawing in the works? would love to see some of those again. keep it coming man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

i just dig your sb, youve been improving pretty fast! i especially like your studies... damn strong! keep it up!

very good progress in the shading and line quality department!
    your poses are still a bit stiff though.. remember when you did all those c+s-curve studies? use them more! don't be afraid to overdo it!
    keep up the good works - we're watching you

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Newbs:: Thanks for your comments greatly appreciated.

Nigh7shad3:: Thanks man still have a ways to go! \

Faust:: I appreciate your honesty faust nothing like hearing a good critique and thanks for taking the time out to really point out some of my weaknesses.

Dile:: Hey whats is up Dile thanks for posting in the book I have to say that the leaning is part myself and part lazy scanning i'll work on both.

Pagedown:: Thanks for the comments man i really appreciate your kind words.

Aila:: very cool, I definitely need to start posting more of course i've been saying that for about six months now. hehe

tensai:: I've taken a break but you are dean on tensai i need to finish that torso.

alyssa milano:: thanks i definitely need to do more studies!! I've gotten lazy with those!!

Hyver:: Thanks for posting in my book Hyver i've been lazy with the posting but i appreciate your kind words and strong support thanks mate!

Here are a few things i've been working on!! I've been doing a bit of digital painting and will be posting some of my crappy digi stuff very soon!
    here are a few drawings the posing needs more work but i have been working on the poses.

I love seeing progress like in this sketchbook! It's my favorite part about this site. Sure, every guy with heavenly fingers is inspiring but not as much as those guys where you get to actually see the evolution. Last 3/4 pose is nice! Maybe you could try more action for your figures, making them do tasks.Your characters are noticeably tall, gives them an interesting disposition. Love your book.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

you're rendering and knowledge of all the parts of the human machine seems to get really tight. but - i think you can create much more depth and dynamics in your posing. stuff that will simply help selling the figure as well as your illustration to the viewer.

perhaps have a look at a book like 'force - dynamic life drawing for animators' by michael matessi. it will tell you a lot about how to look for dynamics in a pose and how to make that come out really strong in your drawings too (i know it's covered a bit in bridgeman etc but not like this). have a look, you might find it really helpful.

other than that - like i said, it's looking really nice. things like the last figure with the hair and fur, and his jacket really convey a good sense of material and colours.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

what a beautiful evolution man. Im jealous. All the studies and the continuous drawing paid off amazingly man. Your work now has something from alfredo alcala.. I could easily see you drawing Conan stories.

Well done man

Mario

wow thats one hell of a progress from page one to here, truly inspirering!

Yep, that's much nicer Now you should also consider working on your textures, your metal does not read very well for instance.

Hey! Met you and your brother at Insomania, I think. I see you'll be at Revelations as well... Sweet!

Ahh, now for the harsh, soul-searing crits... lol

Technique: excellent, but... derivative. Your CA.org influences are showing really heavily.

Poses: too stiff, too similar to each other.

Concepts: Pretty cool, original, once you get past the style, which at first makes me think "I've seen this guy before somewhere..."

Anatomy, clothing, props: all quite solid, but again, the stiff 'posing for the camera' effect detracts.

that being said, the big muscley four-eyed monsterguy is probably the best here, with the ram-horn succubus second.

Oh, almost forgot:

Design/Composition: feels like too much midtone, also, maybe too busy (or to uniformly busy) with patterns and texture (I'm looking at YOU Djurjevik!).

Bottom Line: I'm giving you a hard time because you've obviously reached a good level of competence. But, right now you need to really pull away from the styles which you've been learning from and strike out in a new direction. You need to do this not just to be different, but to breathe real 'life' into your work.

Good progress man, keep it up!

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Eon:: Thanks for your constructive criticism i never thought of really giving the character real tasks, hmmm creative juices brewing!!

Tensai:: its funny you mention the book force I have it and completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. I've been looking at since and finding it to be a big help

marioucci:: thanks for the nice comments.

Nikoh:: Thanks man it is greatly appreciated, one thing about art is it will always be challenging, well atleast for me anways.

Faust:: I will take not of that Faust, thanks for following up in my sketchbook bro.

BludHund:: Great critique, probably the best i've ever recieved in my sketchbook thus far. I think i should print it out and put it above my desk!!
    I think I will do that!! Thanks BludHund.

Here are a few doodles to post before I get back to work!!

hey man awesome designs!! I love your lines and form. I'd also love to see your characters in some nice grounded poses, maybe something from a show or movie. I also noticed that they tend to be falling over to the left. can't get enough of the lines though. cheers

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Daraf:: Thanks man, i'll try to keep at it!!

Pennington:: I've been working on grounding the figure, thanks for the critique!!

Here are a couple of digi's!! finally right!!

• Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.