Art: Post mortem video game artwork...(large download)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post mortem video game artwork...(large download)

Well, the game that I have been working on for the past 2 years was cancelled yesterday at SCEA which is a bummer, but all of us on the team will move on to better things I'm sure. So, here a few of the production paintings that I've done over the course of the past 2 years. I will post the image and if you'd like info about the image, please click on the link.

http://www.weslouie.com/concept057.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept058.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept059.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept060.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept061.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept062.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept063.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept064.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept065.html

http://www.weslouie.com/concept066.html

:confused:

-Wes

http://www.weslouie.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so.. we both had a crappy day yesterday (almost same thing here).
    Good luck to you and your teammates!

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that certainly sucks Oblio. But hey, it might be a blessing in disguise.

-Wes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man ...and good luck to you both !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys worked 2 years on a racing game? jesus. did you get frustrated during the process at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just say...."no comment"

-Wes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good concept paintings,Wes,
    and good luck.

Sjajno!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking stuff. Painter or PS?
    Working two years on the same shit? Now maybe a few more of the kids get to know how a cool hobby can get awfully annoing if you start it as a job. But I´m pretty sure you guys had some good time too, while yous were at it, neh? Plus that corporate design work and corporate expirence is valued in the corporate world. But too bad. I´d really loved to play a game with this theme. I´m sick to hurl with all these "conflict simulations" and "kill and maim as much as you can" games.

How about a game where you´d need to explore a unknown planet. I mean, REAL exploring. Finding minerals, watching extraterristic live and get good camera footage while not getting killed. How about to mark a herd of "Xun´gbo chZs" whith old handmarker guns cause the automatic long range marker broke during the harsh landing. This could even be multiplayer games cause you´ll need pilots, xenobiologists, geolo- and geographikers. There´s so much possibilities. Catching an asteroid, doing archeology and studying other races, maybe undercover work in rural, medieval cultures.

...aherm....got a bit carried away. Well,...think about it and Weslouie,
    stunnishing work. Kewl stuff.

Wolf

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bbwolf, I did all of those images in Photoshop. I tried Painter and like it, but I don't have the time to sit down and learn all that there is in that program. Not to mention that interface isn't made very intuitively. Yeah, working 2 years on the same thing Well, you know, with anything in the world, you have your ups and downs. This game would have been fun if we would have done it properly, but now since it's cancelled we'll never find out.

-Wes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love these pictures they look like screenshots almost!
    Hope you get another cool job soon - !

----
    BWolf: that's a fresh one... hope somebody will pickup on it.
    Ever read Tschai by Jack Vance? That's another one i'd like to see...

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

could it have been?

it looks like it was a jet moto thing. scea did the other jet motos was this to be another in one of my favorite series of racing games ever? if so all i can say is DANG!!! DANG SONY FOR THE CANCELLING OF .......*cough* whoa sorry my rage took over for a sec.

looks very good. looks so good in fact that i have to ask.....i can't seem to get my photoshop to look like paint as you have......anytips? pm and we'll chat!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erik-The reason they look like screenshots are mainly for two reasons. For one, when I was doing theme park design work and doing the storyboards for rides, you would storyboard it so that the boards would be in the perspective of the people riding the ride. Then that way people looking at the storyboards will understand things more quickly about what they are seeing and going to see in the particular sections of the ride. The second reason is that working with people in video games, many of them aren't very creative(where I have worked) nor imaginative. So, say for example, take some of the art you see on this website. There are a lot of talented people who post here and the art looks great. But, for our game, they wouldn't work for presentation purposes to the people that are running the show. They aren't imaginative enough to understand or comprehend how this piece of art will function in the game. So, I did the production paintings just like I would do theme park work. Put the viewer in the position where they will feel like they are playing the game. They then understand what they are seeing and how things will function. You have to spell it out for those people.

I will show you an example here:

For that particular image, when I finished it, printed it out and put it up in the hallway where the rest of the artwork is...I got this reacton:

"WOW, that looks cool! BUT WHO, WHA, WHY ARE THERE PEOPLE ON THAT ARCH WATCHING? WHAT IS THAT CITY IN THE BACKGROUND? WHO SAID TO PUT THAT THERE? KLjdkajdksjdksajdkad...." The thing was that the people were ABSOLUTELY serious about that. I was like "Uhhh...this is a concept image. It's to give you an idea of what is and could be there."

That happened on a few of the paintings until I actually just painted what was supposed to actually be on the track, what color schemes, etc. I am working on a new game internally and we'll see what happens.

Cinsev, there are many tricks with Photoshop and I'm sure not everybody uses it the exactly the same. Brush opacities, different types of layers, etc...Just experiment with them and use what you like best.

Last edited by weslouie; March 18th, 2003 at 02:53 PM.
    -Wes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what?

What the hell are you talking about? Man... As far as I know... Man people runnin thangs in games are right on!!!

Theme parks are for theme parks...

Games are for games...

If you ever mix the two... goodness gracious you should be bashed in the head... If you do not follow the rules as defined as to what game design should look like and be you will be assimilated... HAHAHAHA...

Problem with games is that they are gettin so close to being immersive and more interactive and are becoming more demanding with story visuals and ideas. More often than not, alot of people still believe they don't need a solid plan, and can just wing it through till release. Those days are over. The budgets don't allow for it, and the parent companies or distrubitors want games developed on the same 2yr cycle alot of the time, other wise they feel it is too much of a risk and doesn't justify the cost to develop.

Eventually people will have to becom more story oriented or strictly make sports titles or sequeals to exsisting games that are already successful... No matter what, alot of the thinking involved in games especially non sports games is going to have to change...

But what the hell do I know...

Sebsprek
    ----------------
    I know you... hahahaha!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW great motion, coloring, and light effects!! You've inspired me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mixed Feelings

Wow. JetMoto for the PS2. I have dreamed of that ever since the PS2 came out, because JetMoto 1 and 2 were favorites of mine. In fact it is THE game I have most hoped would be made for the PS2. It is a shame it was cancelled and that you spent two years on a game that won't see the light of day.

I do have some reservations based on your art though. First off, I totally understand your post regarding the lack of artistic vision of the powers that be. I would expect any game would be in trouble with that type of attitude towards concept art (as opposed to production art say).

That said however, I don't see what might be considered "JetMoto" in your concepts. There is nothing wrong with them as art or as concepts, but I don't feel that they capture the essence of JetMoto as previously expressed in the series. That is what would have bothered me as a producer or art director (if I was so extremely lucky enough to have that role on that game).

Even taking into consideration that the series might want to go in a new direction beyond the first two games (and certainly beyond the trash that was the third), the look you have conveyed (to me at least) smacks too much of Star Wars pod racing. Perhaps it is just the pics you have displayed here (I will look at your site for comments and more after I post), but I also only get a sense of flatter courses. The last two, 65 and 66, show some variety but the others look like variations on the same basic track. Of course as you point out these are concepts.

Which brings me to ask, were you the only concept artist? Were you also a production artist, as in model sheets, texturing, etc.? Also was this a 989 project (because they royally screwed JetMoto3 as well as Twisted Metal3)?

Obviously there might be more on your site which I will check out momentarily but these are my initial impressions. I am not sure I would have liked a JetMoto based on your ideas but as I said before it sucks to have worked on something and had your work misunderstood. I'll also repeat that it is not the quality of your work but the 'content'(?) I don't care for.

Actually I have to correect that because I like the 66 bike design and piece as a whole. I also see some potential in 59. Were I so lucky I would have pushed you to develop that more.

Anyway I am off to your site!

OK. Checked it out. Incredible stuff! I still don't care for the bike designs (except for the one I mentioned above) or the overall style that the team seemed to be shooting for (as depicted through the admittedly narrow lens of just your concept art as opposed to all of it) but I that is just my opinion. I wonder about the comments that you made about some of the paintings though. If they had final designs for bikes and riders (helmetless!?) then perhaps they were looking for more a final look in the rest of the painting (as opposed to the concept city, fans, etc.)? Anyway I have no idea not being you, or them, or knowing what sort of pressures everyone might have been under. If I were to speculate perhaps the project was taking too long and the game just didn't give the right people the feeling this was the right successor to revive the franchise. What did the game look like in action? Could you slip us a screen or two?

One thing that I got from looking at the art you have posted on your site (which I doubt is all of it) is that it was hard to picture the track overall. You indicated this might have been a problem with the managers. Is there a track layout piece (aerial/3d/perspective)?

Anyway, I don't think the problem with this project had anything to do with your artistic ability. You are clearly very talented. If they didn't get what they wanted then that is their failure to communicate well. Like I said I would have asked for a different take but that reflects my taste. And of course maybe it was entirely a programming or other issue that led to cancellation, but you seem (from your comments) to feel that perhaps it was a art direction/track design issue?

I still hope JetMoto eventually gets the right backing and gets made though. Good luck on your next project!
    BTW, Zombie Nation stuff looks awesome!

Last edited by agsilva; March 20th, 2003 at 03:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First order of business: sweet-ass paintings!! the first thing that popped into my head was jet moto meets wipeoutXL (my two fav "fake" racing games!!!)...very cool stuff! you have a LOT of talent

Second order of business - agsilva...989 = SCEA. They were (Are?) Sony's internal development studio...SCEA doesn't "make" anything, technically, they just sell it and take the money (i think). JetMoto 1 and 2 were both made by Singletrac, who has a VERY distinctive design style - I don't imagine it's much fun for anyone who works internally at SCEA to try and copy design by a defunct (though recently ressurected as Incog Inc....though i think they only made one game so far...) mid-90s game design studio...I'm not saying it's not ok for you to dislike the designs (wow that was a lot of negatives!) I'm just offering one possible explanation...different company, different design ideas if you want to see a true sequel to the jet moto series, go pester those dudes at incog

[rant]
    Third order of business - fuck jet moto sequels!!! I want to see a sequel to Warhawk!!!! Did Sony get that license too??? For that matter, while the hell do they have VERY talented artists such as you working on sequels to 6 year old games??? Would it really hurt anyone to make an ORIGINAL game?[/rant]

Bottom Line - sexy work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: Mixed Feelings

Originally posted by agsilva

That said however, I don't see what might be considered "JetMoto" in your concepts. There is nothing wrong with them as art or as concepts, but I don't feel that they capture the essence of JetMoto as previously expressed in the series. That is what would have bothered me as a producer or art director (if I was so extremely lucky enough to have that role on that game).

Even taking into consideration that the series might want to go in a new direction beyond the first two games (and certainly beyond the trash that was the third), the look you have conveyed (to me at least) smacks too much of Star Wars pod racing. Perhaps it is just the pics you have displayed here (I will look at your site for comments and more after I post), but I also only get a sense of flatter courses. The last two, 65 and 66, show some variety but the others look like variations on the same basic track. Of course as you point out these are concepts.

Which brings me to ask, were you the only concept artist? Were you also a production artist, as in model sheets, texturing, etc.? Also was this a 989 project (because they royally screwed JetMoto3 as well as Twisted Metal3)?

Obviously there might be more on your site which I will check out momentarily but these are my initial impressions. I am not sure I would have liked a JetMoto based on your ideas but as I said before it sucks to have worked on something and had your work misunderstood. I'll also repeat that it is not the quality of your work but the 'content'(?) I don't care for.

Actually I have to correect that because I like the 66 bike design and piece as a whole. I also see some potential in 59. Were I so lucky I would have pushed you to develop that more.

Anyway I am off to your site!

OK. Checked it out. Incredible stuff! I still don't care for the bike designs (except for the one I mentioned above) or the overall style that the team seemed to be shooting for (as depicted through the admittedly narrow lens of just your concept art as opposed to all of it) but I that is just my opinion. I wonder about the comments that you made about some of the paintings though. If they had final designs for bikes and riders (helmetless!?) then perhaps they were looking for more a final look in the rest of the painting (as opposed to the concept city, fans, etc.)? Anyway I have no idea not being you, or them, or knowing what sort of pressures everyone might have been under. If I were to speculate perhaps the project was taking too long and the game just didn't give the right people the feeling this was the right successor to revive the franchise. What did the game look like in action? Could you slip us a screen or two?

One thing that I got from looking at the art you have posted on your site (which I doubt is all of it) is that it was hard to picture the track overall. You indicated this might have been a problem with the managers. Is there a track layout piece (aerial/3d/perspective)?

Anyway, I don't think the problem with this project had anything to do with your artistic ability. You are clearly very talented. If they didn't get what they wanted then that is their failure to communicate well. Like I said I would have asked for a different take but that reflects my taste. And of course maybe it was entirely a programming or other issue that led to cancellation, but you seem (from your comments) to feel that perhaps it was a art direction/track design issue?

I still hope JetMoto eventually gets the right backing and gets made though. Good luck on your next project!
    BTW, Zombie Nation stuff looks awesome!
    What? The bikes are no good??? I think the bikes are awesome... Maybe I'm a dork, but what exactly does feel like Jetmoto mean??? That is why I hate sequel movies and games alike... people constantly want to have that sme feeling and want everthing to be the same as when they first experienced it... Worst than that... a good 50 percent of those same people can't even explain what it is that made (insert title here) what they believe is at it's essence... So designers are usually the ones left trying to explore the depths of humanity only to hear that it doesn't quit fit the feel of what (insert title hear)... I tell you... sequels... Don't do it if you can avoid it people!!! DONT DO IT!!!

Last edited by SebSprek; March 20th, 2003 at 06:16 PM.
    Sebsprek
    ----------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ok..ok..

Adam- I was aware that 989 was a SCEA internal studio and that Singletrac was the original developer. In fact I think 989 recently changed their name, but anyway I just wondered if that is who wes worked for. After all SCEA has many arms.

Also, for SebSprek and Adam-
    I realize that a new studio would want to bring a new look to a franchise that they are taking over and in fact, I didn't really have much of a problem with JetMoto3's look. It was the gameplay and control feel, changed substantially from the first two, that I didn't like. Twisted Metal 3 sucked all over.

As for not caring for the look Solar seemed to be taking I see it this way (and this is after I also took into consideration the additional work on wes's site)...

The bikes have a bit of a pod racerish (ala Star Wars) look to them. This is less evident from the other art on wes's site but certainly so in the "finalized" forms in the pics here. Notice a lot of twin engine/inlet symmetry? In some cases it looks good. The particle trails look great. It is just that I prefer for JetMoto the sporty jetbike looks of the first games. There is a game called Forsaken (pre-dates JetMoto?) which has similar design themes to these concepts for its bikes. I am in no way implying that they had anything to do with wes's designs and those of his fellow designers BTW. It is just that the idea of teams, sponsors, etc. is more appealing to me rather than individual riders with vastly different styles, bikes, and no helmets . Long blonde hair flapping in the wind would have been something to see though!

It is that sporty feel I was missing. Maybe it is also the darker tones that seem out of place since JetMoto was generally a bright game. Oh well, it is just my opinion and I didn't mean to be really negative if if came across that way.

The last thing I'll say is that there is nothing wrong with sequels if they improve a game and bring some new things to the table. JetMoto1 and 2 had a terrible sequel in JetMoto3 and even if a PS2 version were simply a faster, tighter, more beautiful version of the previous outings I would welcome it since we have been deprived for so long of JetMoto goodness. Another thing to consider is that simply changing lots of things for the sake of change isn't always good either. There has to be balance. There are many ideas for how a great JetMoto game could be made that I feel would capture the 'essence' of JetMoto and still innovate (at least for JetMoto). Maybe SCEA will find them.

Again this has nothing to do with wes's artitic talents just the art direction that the team was taking and apparently the management's inability to appreciate the talents they had.

EDIT. OK. I can't help it so here is briefly what I feel the essence of JetMoto was-
    1) Tight controls that really made you feel you were on a jetbike, from the handling to the physics and sense of speed from rendering
    2) Cool tracks and a bit of futuristic/post apocalyspe flair-whether pounding surf, glaciers, or craked pavement, most tracks had that pleasant sense of what I like to call realistic fantasy, and they scaled well in difficulty
    3) Lots of team rosters (cut down sadly over time) which created a real sense of progression. You could feel yourself getting better from race to race from initially losing to finally winning including lapping the punks who used to whip you.
    4) The sense you were in a sport and had teammates gave a bit of expansiveness and inclusiveness to the world although this was not played up as much as it could be
    5) Kickass jetbikes that felt like they really could exist and would handle like you'd expect from looking at them

EDIT2. I can taste my foot I think. Incog, Inc. which made TWM:Black and War of the Monsters and employed most if not all of the original Twisted Metal team was bought up by SCEA last year. Was this the only Singletrac team or did different groups work on JetMoto and TWM? Which SCEA unit does wes work for? Maybe the project got canned/moved to Incog?

Last edited by agsilva; March 21st, 2003 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: ok..ok..

Originally posted by agsilva
    Adam- I was aware that 989 was a SCEA internal studio and that Singletrac was the original developer. In fact I think 989 recently changed their name, but anyway I just wondered if that is who wes worked for. After all SCEA has many arms.

Also, for SebSprek and Adam-
    I realize that a new studio would want to bring a new look to a franchise that they are taking over and in fact, I didn't really have much of a problem with JetMoto3's look. It was the gameplay and control feel, changed substantially from the first two, that I didn't like. Twisted Metal 3 sucked all over.

As for not caring for the look Solar seemed to be taking I see it this way (and this is after I also took into consideration the additional work on wes's site)...

The bikes have a bit of a pod racerish (ala Star Wars) look to them. This is less evident from the other art on wes's site but certainly so in the "finalized" forms in the pics here. Notice a lot of twin engine/inlet symmetry? In some cases it looks good. The particle trails look great. It is just that I prefer for JetMoto the sporty jetbike looks of the first games. There is a game called Forsaken (pre-dates JetMoto?) which has similar design themes to these concepts for its bikes. I am in no way implying that they had anything to do with wes's designs and those of his fellow designers BTW. It is just that the idea of teams, sponsors, etc. is more appealing to me rather than individual riders with vastly different styles, bikes, and no helmets . Long blonde hair flapping in the wind would have been something to see though!

It is that sporty feel I was missing. Maybe it is also the darker tones that seem out of place since JetMoto was generally a bright game. Oh well, it is just my opinion and I didn't mean to be really negative if if came across that way.

The last thing I'll say is that there is nothing wrong with sequels if they improve a game and bring some new things to the table. JetMoto1 and 2 had a terrible sequel in JetMoto3 and even if a PS2 version were simply a faster, tighter, more beautiful version of the previous outings I would welcome it since we have been deprived for so long of JetMoto goodness. Another thing to consider is that simply changing lots of things for the sake of change isn't always good either. There has to be balance. There are many ideas for how a great JetMoto game could be made that I feel would capture the 'essence' of JetMoto and still innovate (at least for JetMoto). Maybe SCEA will find them.

Again this has nothing to do with wes's artitic talents just the art direction that the team was taking and apparently the management's inability to appreciate the talents they had.

EDIT. OK. I can't help it so here is briefly what I feel the essence of JetMoto was-
    1) Tight controls that really made you feel you were on a jetbike, from the handling to the physics and sense of speed from rendering
    2) Cool tracks and a bit of futuristic/post apocalyspe flair-whether pounding surf, glaciers, or craked pavement, most tracks had that pleasant sense of what I like to call realistic fantasy, and they scaled well in difficulty
    3) Lots of team rosters (cut down sadly over time) which created a real sense of progression. You could feel yourself getting better from race to race from initially losing to finally winning including lapping the punks who used to whip you.
    4) The sense you were in a sport and had teammates gave a bit of expansiveness and inclusiveness to the world although this was not played up as much as it could be
    5) Kickass jetbikes that felt like they really could exist and would handle like you'd expect from looking at them

Hey dude... maybe you need a job in games... We can put you on sequel management... ( that was a pretty good Jetmoto breakdown)... I can see the comparision to a pod raceish type feel, but everyone loves Star Wars right! hahahaha... Oh and the long flapping hair in the wind... just ain't happening!!! This is games DAMN IT!!! We got poly limits!!!

Sebsprek
    ----------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great concepts Wes, too bad the game was canceled.

Its funny how the opinions of game art is always affected by the actual game play. People will rave about sucky art if the game is fun and awesome, and will destroy the art if the gameplay sucks. It sucks when game artists get screwed over by things that are beyond their control.

Oh yeah, why’s everyone freaking over a 2 year dev cycle? That’s how games are, especially on new franchises. It’s actually a good thing because it lends towards job stability.

Last edited by ironfinger; March 24th, 2003 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, thanks ironfinger. Your work is really nice as well. Now tell Scotch to get to work and to stop goofing off!

I will not go way into depth on why the game was cancelled. Any of you that have worked on a video game that has been cancelled knows what goes on internally.

Hmm....from what agsilva is saying, he must have been working since the PS1 days to know so much about the development of JM and who actually developed it back in the day and Incog, etc...JM was not passed on to Incog at all. I didn't initially know, but several members of the team that worked on JM4 worked on this newer version of JM :confused:

As far as the bike designs go, I did not design the final versions. The person that did design them did a very nice job. I only did designs for earlier versions of the bikes. To answer agsilva's question, I didn't just do 'concept art'. I was the main texture guy as far as the artistic look of the textures and I created and mapped all of the characters(15 I think), vehicles(5-6?) and many of the track objects and much of the track as well in addition to doing concept sketches, paintings, etc. As far as the "sport" bike look and much of the designing went, that got completely changed(from previous JMs) by the fact that somebody in charge had a story written that we had to adhere to.

Last edited by weslouie; March 24th, 2003 at 04:58 PM.
    -Wes

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.