Art: "The Subway" - The Maya journey continues.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"The Subway" - The Maya journey continues.

Here is my latest work in progress that I would like you all to help me out with. I've got a few things left to do: Texture the pipes, add an ATM, add an emergency phone to one of the pillars and add a couple of extra signs.

What else do you see that you like or dislike? Please be brutal. I need to learn people!

Now I'm not wanting to get into movies like some of you crazy folks, I'm looking to get in to games. Just thought I'd throw that in for those of you who want to compare this to some ILM masterpiece.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

"I used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass." - David Lee Roth

HotNWormy
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. Overall it's a pretty good subway. A couple of things: the floor could be a lot dingier... go to a subway and check it out. You'll find that there's a lot of marks, dirt and other things you could add.
    The graffiti is bugging me. It looks to organized. There either should be more of it or none. Do you know anyone that actually does graffiti... get them to do a couple for you.
    The one poster on our right is too noticeble. Maybe just give it less contrast. I like the map poster in bg... good idea.

"Now I'm not wanting to get into movies like some of you crazy folks, I'm looking to get in to games. Just thought I'd throw that in for those of you who want to compare this to some ILM masterpiece." I'm not trying to be harsh but I think you should change your attitude. Some of the quality of games are starting to look like ILM(or better). Don't set your goals low... set them as high as you can, even if that's higher than ILM standards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to add that the tiles on the wall are a bit thick and unified. They need some break up in there. Not sure if you just tiled one square a ton of times. The only problems I have with the piece over all is again the cracks. The cement section is too similar also. You should add some chips and chunks that are missing. Some small cracks moving along some areas. Also the floor where the pillars connect to the ground. How does the cement get built around them? It looks odd to me just having them place over. Grab a reference of that and see what its like.

Over all it’s a great piece. Just need that extra debris, to add some life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the atmosphere but i agree with the others that it could use some 'noise' -- if its for a game that may have to come out of textures i guess. Maybe one of the lights needs to flicker or something... ?

I'd like to see the next version!

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all so much for the input. As you'll see by this update, I have already started putting some of the suggestions in place, such as new graffiti, a toned down poster, more dirt on the floor, and the like.

I'll be adding papers and cups and such as well. I'm also working on the spot where the pillars meet the floor. I think I'll be able to solve that with just a bump map. We'll see.

Oh, and I added an emergency phone (which is supposed to have a glowing button... I'll get that working... power must be out) and I changed the overall lighting just a tiny bit.

MORE MORE MORE! Give me feedback... I live for it!

:chug:

"I used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass." - David Lee Roth

HotNWormy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting to look really good. I still have a problem with the graffiti... doesn't look right. not sure. keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I may just drop the graffiti... most subways keep it cleaned off the walls anyway... I really wanted graffiti... I don't know. I'm so confused.

HotNWormy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should ask coro about the graffiti...gosh this makes me want to learn maya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Done... for now.

Alright, so I left the graffiti in... sorry sketch! Sorry for the large file size...

I think that I'm finished for now, though I am going to go back and refine the textures and fix that glowing red sign (it just doesn't look right). I'll do that at a later date. Right now I just need a couple of days to relax.

Anything you guys think I should add at that time, let me know.

Thanks for all of the comments.

HotNWormy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The graffitti needs to be either larger or simpler, cause you rarely see graffitti that small and at the same time nicely done. Usually it's just done with a black marker or something.

You should try and make that broke lightbulb more transparent, cause right now it looks fake because of the light that hits it from the right.

A trashcan would be a logical thing to have as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good call on the lighting. I'll work on the graffiti as well.

As for the trashcan, I was told by quite a few people that, after 911, most of, if not all of, the trashcans were removed from the subways. I gathered probably 50 reference photos for this piece, and none of them have a trashcan in them. So for once, I did make an educated decision.

Thanks a heap!

HotNWormy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It still looks to clean, so you might want to continue to work on that. The tiles on the wall though look to uniform you might want to try to break that up some by adding some cracks and removing tiles, also discolor the walls, I doubt they are that clean in real life. But other than that it seems to be coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how big is the CG gonna be? (room size)

Perfect Kay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good works.

but too many posters,I think......
    umm,
    better for you, light number decriase and
    limite wallpaint and posters you want to explain.

its important factor, limite lightpoint
    and create lightside and darkside in a frame.
    I thnk so......

_/_/_/_/_/_/
    AZULBLUE
    _/_/_/_/_/_/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff!
    Interessting to sse how U develops it. I were thinking, maybe U need som litter in there - old newspapers, old tickets, smashed cans, candy wrappers, frenchfries cartoons and soo on. Maybe even some syringes and crack-vials?
    Keep ut the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea,yea,yea...
    candy paper, its good idea. his idea give reality your works.

_/_/_/_/_/_/
    AZULBLUE
    _/_/_/_/_/_/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

subway lighting

The lighting is confused. Above you have floresecents which should create a fairly diffused lighting situation, yet you have spots on the graffiti and posters? If you want to have these spots on them, add the actual lights in there so we can the light source.

Secondly, there are some scale issues. The size of the florescent light tubes are about 6 inces wide it looks like? Thats a seriously thick light tube. The tiles on the ground are very large. Now, I'm not saying they need to be small ceramic tile or anything, but lets say they were concrete sections, they still wouldn't be over 3foot by 3foot most likely.

The last thing I could suggest is what most people here have been suggesting which is more grime, more debris. The floor other then having peices of paper litter is very clean. No scuffs or scratches or dirt.

All in all though, you are well on your way. If you're wanting to get into games, you might want to try doing a more real time version of this scene for your portfolio. By realtime, see how close you can get it to looking like this with game friendly textures (nothing over 512x512) and using vertex lighting instead of traditional lighting methods.

Just my 2cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

First, I would like to say that I really like what you have. I love the way the light reflects off the tiles. I am a 2D artist. I use photoshop and painter. I would like to get into the type of 3d designing you are doing. I have no idea how I should begin. Or even what programs I should buy. Could you helkp me out? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Maya 4.0 and 3D Studio Max are the most common programs I guess, but Maya 4 costs alot and I do mean alot.

It's not that hard to get the ball rolling, so to speak, when it comes to 3d. Not if you have a good beginners book. To become really good though, is as always, hard. But that you already knew.

Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maya is expensive!!!!

Well, I couldn't afford Maya, I was thinking of getting Lightwave instead. How do the two compare?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.