Sketchbook: sBook 07.17.05 [NOODLES] charcoal

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sBook 07.17.05 [NOODLES] charcoal

I'm not really a concept artist, (although I think the title is a bit ludicrous anyway) and some of you may not like my "unrealistic" sketches and various doodlings, which is fine. I'll post some things from reality, and some from my head, and others will be images from my notebook with concepts and written ideas. I'm not a fantastic artist when on the fly, but I do know how to finish a piece. I plan on doing a lot of PS painting, because it's what intrigues me the most from the community here, but for now I'll post some of my later physical sketches as a benchmark of my ability.

Hopefully I can receive some technical and conceptual criticism (be brutal, I have thick skin) on the works I post, but this thread is basically for me to fool around in...

...hopefully you enjoy it.

Some doodles from various classes with my uniball pen...

Last edited by Gregory Wohlwend; July 18th, 2005 at 12:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man.
    I like those!
    Post some more stuff soon
    one crit; even tho it looks good like this, maybe u should try and make the black all black(hope that made sence). Might look more clean and fluid that way. You can fix that in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fellah, those were physical doodles, and the only document i have of the one with the highlight is taken with a flash from back in the day...

i'm pretty much going to dedicate this book to photoshop painting with my wacom... here's my first sketch i think is decent enough to put up here...

Some notes about the sketch:
    This sketch started as a self portrait i did in pen, and transfered to PS via digi-cam, but i wasn't happy with how my portrait came out, and i think i tackled too much, so I decided to go with the ear (i've been told a lot of my compositions have to do with the shape of the ear) and at first i drew it physically from life, then tried to look of the page and redo in PS which helped a little, but good god was it impossible to get any sort of realistic detail. so i went with a reference pic, and got the above result... In regards to your crits I really want to know how to refine my painting style. I'm using a conte kind of style to replicate highlight and shadow without worrying about color (maybe later if it's suggested).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished this one, the hand is a bit more complex than a mere ear. I spent a bit longer on it as well, however I didn't feel like getting it to where i wanted to due to the fact that i feel like i'm working nowhere near where i want to be. (finished and CLEAN rendering) I'm using the untensil more like a pen than perhaps what i should be doing, which is??? (where do i go from here?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Gregory

I definetly like the style you hae going on, very sketchy, even though it appears that may not be what your going for.

the ear looks pretty good aside from floating in space, the detail and the hair really look good on it.

The hand looks a bit out of proportion, particularly on the center fingers. Nice values, and use of the color of the canvas to provide a middle tone. Can't wait to see more!

I can summarize my life story in context of story telling. I am a character, you are the others. Someone else wrote the beginning. We both write the plot we take together and when alone I control the storyline. However, I am the master of my destiny and I shall write the end of every chapter my life concludes.

My Sketchbook - Prologue

Image Hosting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what storyforge says, I really like your hand, the forshortening is is really good on the fingers. Please keep posting your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did this at work today, i don't have a tablet here, so i worked on some rendering with paths in photoshop (got into it because of the BMW mechs) it's basically just a doodle to take my mind off of data entry for awhile.

I hope to have my entire self portrait finished by tonight.

story: Thanks for the comments, i hear you with the proportions i really wrestled with those, especially the pinky; i'm not completely happy with it, but oh well, i guess these are good places to start, but i'm looking for a more refined "painted" look, i suppose i need to lay down more general weight in the beginning but the problem with that is my brush repeats and makes more of a pattern instead of a stroke...

darktwin: thanks, i appreciate the comments, i've got the bug lately, so i'll be spewing stuff out regularly, except when the weather is nice...

EDIT: whoa i just looked at this on my monitor at home (much better and brighter amsung 712N, and it looks much different ::brighter: so keep that in mind i s'pose

Last edited by Gregory Wohlwend; May 25th, 2005 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait

Just in time for the Daily Show... as always, please crit harshly (not so much on proportions and accuracy, although those are important, but i could use some pointers as far as technique)

also, i know it's hanging there, i'll try and do more reference next time, perhaps a full figure sometime next week, but i don't have a willing model ATM.

I'm going to do some underwear hanging from the side of my monitor after i finish with my hour of lounging

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Whites

Boxers or Briefs?

I'm not too happy with this drawing, i started it too big for my sketch strategy, and when i resized it i got in some better lines, some things are off, and i should have been more loose in the beginning...

please crit... someone... anyone... crit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

I honestly don't know what to say about the first 4 drawings... I have no idea what to make of them. As for the ear, there are some anatomy issues with it but a very good ear nonetheless, samegoes for the hand, little proportions here and there make a huge difference. If you really want to get more into realism, check out some of the anatomy studies of Andrew Loomis, George Bridgman, or the resident bone doctor, Mentler (he has some sketchbooks here) and also his site in my signature, TSOFA.

Really good work overall for just doodles and since you're new to PS.

Keep the posts coming and welcome to CA!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique Ian, but regretfully, i'm far from new at PS, i've had about 7 years of experience, but i'm self-taught if that counts for anything. Thanks for the kind words, and I hope to stay around for awhile and suck on the talented teet of this place.

On the drawings i'm using a straight up one-layer method because i like how it relates to physical drawing, and how forgiving it is. (plus i think it's faster due to the fact you don't have to keep track of highlight and shadow layers etc...

In regards to realism, i'm not exactly interested in that, nor am i too interested in the figure, i'm just interested in challenging myself, and organic shapes and fabric are the best to challenge me when looking to realistically render. I'm trying to get more of a feel for the medium (digital painting) than work out my proportions and everything. (although i could always use work on those).

So in lieu of that, i've done a quick 20 minute painting of a sketch from salaryman's sketchbook. I asked him permission but at the time i'm posting this I don't have direct confirmation, if it's a problem i'll humbly take it down...

In this speedpaint, i used two gradients as palletes, one posterized for simplification. I used the sierra pallete for more organic parts and objects (face, belt, cloth) and I used the desaturated gradient for metalic (or as i interpreted them) things like the silver hair of the beard and his helmet as you can see. I used a mouse for this (since i'm at work) but when i get home I may or may not do another sketch&paint (from life) and put it up here.

I'd really like some heavy crits on this, as far as technique and how i can get a more refined and realistic look regarding texture, lighting, stroke, weight, contrast, the whole bit, please go wild...

thank you...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, I like it, the only thing I would say is that I want to see more. Maybe some full figure stuff. The face on salaryman's drawing could use more color....the face just seems kinda blad, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will give you the right advice....i'm still learning to color too.

]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a sketch i just did, i started out with some life (me tieing my show in a chair) gestures, but i couldn't get specifics down, so i went to a reference... i'm kind of tired of working on this, it's really small (actual size) and i work small for the fact that my wacom doesn't allow for long curve strokes (it makes an octagon out of a fast circle) and also because i don't have the same relationship as i do with the tooth of regular paper...

i feel like the paint is dirty, i probably need to use some different strategy when dealing in tone and color, but oh well, maybe next time.

PLEASE CRIT HARSHLY, specifically with the color and strategy of the PS coloring...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you are getting better and it's looking good. This one seems more colorful than the last....i shouldn't say anything about color since i'm still a newb but have you seen these color theory post by fredflickstone?
    color theory 2

color theory

prom's is really helpful too

prom's tutorial

]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a good Memorial weekend but didn't get much done other than work on my golf game but here is another little color thing i did in PS with the help of salaryman's lines during work, again, not happy with 'er...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some gesture stuff, some with reference (the good ones) and others to just play around... i don't feel like i'm learning anything when i draw the figure from reference, any tips? (other than going to the park and drawing people)

EDIT:

I was inspired by Gabo's early color ref studies, and did a quick one with a super vibrant flower, i think i'm starting to understand how color works, and while there are many technical problems, at least it doesn't look muddy.

more @ 11... and here's tom with the weather

Last edited by Gregory Wohlwend; June 3rd, 2005 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youve got some really awesome stuff up here!! it might be nice to see a few more life studies, and maybe some regular pencil or pen work:but this is probably just me since i love the look of a real sketch well, keep up the good work, cant wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good to see you busy

I figure a good place to make my first appearance would be in response to Greg's work. Overall, I'd like to say that I'm really impressed at how much you've improved in your work throughout the years. I'm envious of your tablet, and someday I look forward to having one of my own. As far as your self portrait, I think you did an awesome job. So close to the real Greg it's scary. I think that more color studies would benefit your style. You've got the mind of a child when it comes to the depth of ideas, again I'm envious because I've found myself lost in my own responsibilities, that I've had a hard time finding time to publish anything recently. Now that you've invited me to this community, I'll work on getting some of my own work out here.

Overall I'd say great job, and keep up the work.

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. ~Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the self portrait is definitely the strongest so far. One thing that could make a big improvement is to work on your line quality, it seems to suffer from being scratchy and unsure. I think you should try to work this out in traditional media, since the tablet is relatively smaller and tends to promote scratchy lines. At this point, don't worry about rendering something so much, that comes later, try to capture the overall form and structure first, if you can't do that with confidence there's no point in rendering. Keep the good work coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got back from my summer figure drawing class, which will go for another couple months once a week, if nothing more it's a way for me to get a model to stay still. I'm really happy with where I'm going, however any crticism, specifically in regards to applying my knowledge to create figures from my head...

a collaborative 'overdraw' from 5+ students in the class from the same easel

3 minute gesture

1 minute gesture

30 minute 'gesture'

I'm really glad we got to do gestures, and i hope we do them every week for as long as possible, it's where i struggle most which means i learn the most...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like what i see...but i don't know what the drawings are in your first post...at all...for the hand, i really like the lighting, however the space right above the thumb and how it makes the hand look "skinny" just bothers my a bit...a tiny bit...doing gestures is great too, you have a lot of movement in them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dig the portrait and the flower painting. good work. i'd like to see a painted portrait too.

keep up the good work,
    -Seth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you take some figure drawing class. Imo, drawing from life really helps you draw from imagination. I don't know why, but a lot of people say to not copy directly from a photograph. The gestures are looking good, but it seems like you are avoiding the face on the last one. I used to avoid the face until everyone kept on telling me to draw it.

]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can tell i'm learning a lot in the class, but i'm still unsure about creating from imagination. It's an ongoing problem for me, because with art, specifically traditional media, my technical skills always seem to fall short of my imagination... anyway, here is a sketch of ecto from ghostbusters i did from my head... i love ecto-cooler

the rendering is completely awful, i'm more interested in form at this point, and did some of the rendering to define smaller shapes within that form to better understand the structure of the 'blob'.

as always, delete my ego with your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second figure drawing class, I'm not quite so happy about the progress with my gestures, but i think the extended hour long pose was really challenging, angle-wise and foreshortening-wise

please rip me up

i've been attempting some imaginative stuff, but i'm getting nowhere in my opinion...

Last edited by Gregory Wohlwend; June 22nd, 2005 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking at your earlier sketches of the hand and that cool portrait. I notcied that all the whites are the same value, it should be varied depending on how the light hits it. It kicks ass tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know it's been awhile, but here's some more from my figure drawing class...

the last one is probably one of my favorite drawings i've ever done, frankly because i learned so much on it, and it turned out decently well, the proportion is a bit off... but it's a relatively short drawing.

critiques welcome as always.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.