Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Stunned yeat again. I'll be studing that underdrawing for alittle while, see what I can learn. And those charcols.... Wow.
    Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    Wow, I might as well have said "I am working on a book urging the beating to death of baby whales using the dead bodies of baby seals."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great stuff you got going on here, I love your studies, I wish I was going to your school

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 394 Posts
    well, you've certainly got a way with rendering and Portraits. very very nice i must say. one crit though, try more robots! robot portraits that is.... and btw i'm in your SSG now. helloes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 625 Posts
Awsome job on that portrait! really good! I thought i did good
keep it up! I only agree with that the eyes are tad to big though!

~Dile

Thanks
    Hey twin those are some decent head studies, here are my thoughts on them. 1st, I you are getting caught up in details too soon without having proper placement and proportions.

2nd. study your facial anatomy some more. When I look at the eyes on your portraits, I can see that you aren't quite getting it yet. Eye anatomy is something I just recently have been studying. There are also issues with the nose and cheeks. Study the Loomis head book and Vanderpoel figure drawing book.

3rd. Edges and values. Hard edges are existing where they shouldn't and values are spotty and not mapped out accordingly. When you squint down at your model or artist you are studying, look for shadow pattern, determine what is a shadow and what is in the light. Also when you squint down you are going to determine what is a hard edge, what is a soft edge and what is a lost edge. You may want to try to study these patterns and shapes and draw the shapes. Disconnect yourself from what it is that you are actually drawing and draw the shapes. And simplify those shapes, never over complicate the drawing.

Thanks
    WOW! You have come along way! I just went back to your first page and compared.... huge difference. My co-worker was with me when I was viewing your work and we both are in awe of the progress you have made. On one of your portraits the lips are a bit askew. Great work, you can only get better. 5 stars!!
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Yes, inspirational progress and work, you deserve more stars! It's especially educational for me... being a noob at pencils and faces. I will be back often!

Thanks
    Hey man, thanks for peeping my sb. Your pencil and charcoal skills are mutant, too effing good! Dude, those animals are increeeeeeedible, fantastic stroke economy, and as someone stated earlier, great use of edges. Your portraits are hot too.
    Keep posting, wanna see more..

Thanks
    i like the structure drawing of the portrait study, the final image is nice, but you lost some of the structure, you should go in with some harder edges, for example in the structure drawing, on the corner of the nostril you have a nice hard line, but you lost that in the final where it looks soft. I also dig that protrait study you did on the blue paper. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    glikster: Thanks man

demented:Thanks D, yeah I really need to work on my eyes more, they seem to be one of the few problem areas for me, I think I'm going to do a few pages of eye studies. You keep rocking them out yourself man.

Stine:
    Thanks Stine, other than taking the drawing classes, your portriats really inspired me to do more portrait studies to better understand facial feature anatomy. Thanks for checking out my sb.

oma:Thanks oma, you keep rocking out the portraits yourself.

born_stubborn: Thanks man

elisa:
    Thanks man, I still need to work with charcoal a lot more, I really struggled in the drawing class, but struggling is how we learn. thanks for viewing my little book.

Andy P:
    Whats going on master P, really enjoying your book, I have to agree with you about the pupils, I seemed to make them a tad to big, appreciate the crit. I'll be seeing you around. Keep up those badass paintings.

Derram: Thanks Derram, keep drawing man, don't stop.

n1va: Whats going on, remember its not about the school, its about what you put into the classes that you take. There are artist who are amazing without any art education training, just on this site. I've learned a shit load more on CA than at school I'm attending. CA has to be one of the greatest motivations for me as an aspiring artist. So thank you all for helping me develop.

MadCat: haha, yeah I do need to try tech/bot concepts, hmm, got me thinking now. And welcome to the ssg.

Dile: Whats going on Dile, again thanks for that link man, thanks for
    the support.

Smitherines: Wow, smitherines, thanks for the crit, I will defitly try to focus on the shadow shapes as an exercise. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me in depth feedback. This is what CA is all about. Thank again.

darkchild:Thank you

Meatsworthy: thanks man

fedezz:glad you like, but I have a ways to go, always something to improve on huh.

Matt Smith: Thank you Mr. Smith for the feedback, taking notes. I'll be around.

Wow, thank you everyone for stopping in my SB, your encourgment, crits and feedback is appreciated greatly. I will be visiting all of your sbs shortly. Thank again everyone

Ok this is a small update, I actually worked from an amazing concept artist work, Kevin Chens concepts from Medal of Honor WWII game, So all the credit goes to Kevin Chen for originally doing these badass concept drawings. Here are the studies below that I did from his work. And a portrait of a good friend who is visiting my brothers girlfriend. It turned out alright, she likes it. I used graphite penicl a b and 3b for rendering and I used vine charcoal for the hair.

original by Kevin Chen
    +more work+  s  8/22
    original drawing by Kevin Chen
    +more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

Thanks
    that last portrait is great, but the hair could do with some darker streaks, to give it much needed contrast, and detail.
    Keep ep the good work

Thanks
    wheph! u've come a long way since the beginning of ur sb. sweet stuff. be proud. u have a sensational command over charcoal. loving it. I think u know the ropes. now go and explore!
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    hey there! thanks a lot for your nice comment about my portraits, reminds me of getting back to drawing soon. hopefully tomorrow...
    like the concepts a lot, it's always good to find people you admire and look at their stuff. "falling in love with a master" is great, i think.

the portrait is lovely, althought the highlight on the left (her right) cheek distracts me a little. i'm not totally sure but i think it shouldn't go that far to the bottom... another tiny thing is the very distinct line under her nose - you know i always struggle with noses and admire the way you nail them, but there's a little too much of a "border" there i think.

anyway, great to see you're mixing studies from life and master studies etc. that well. you're doing a phantastic job! cheers!

stine

Thanks
    Great looking book <> good rendering technique <> think a little bit more about where to put your dark accents and your highlights <> some works getting to much over all pattern <> viewer does not have much time need to get them where we want them to go quick.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 394 Posts
    nice pieces, your portraits are def the stronger pieces, see if you can put as much love and care into other things too, would be great to see.
    keep thinking about them robots man! it'd be awesome to see a design robot face.. mmmm meeccch

• Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast