Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: +more work+ s 8/22

Thanks
    Stunning SB...let me just commend you on that sculpture!
    Keep up those studies...oooh and Happy 25th! Both a ya!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Matt Smith: thanks for you feedback man, yeah I'm having problems with my facial alignments, they're abit off, I'm definitly going to use more guide lines when drawing features of the face, the ones I'm posting now are off as well, its really showing me that I need to go back to square one. thanks for viewing man.

Chisa: Thanks Chisa, good to see you posting again, how did the semester of school treat you? I hope good. yeah your right about the alignmetns of my eyes being off. just have to keep at it.

Stine:Thanks stine, yeah the face is a challenge that I'm taking up to get down and you guys are seeing the beginning of something good I hope, lol. thanks for stopping in.

Faust: Thanks man, yeah your right I need to get out more and draw from life, the cool thing is summer classes are starting next week, so I'm going to be hitting up the workshops, can't wait.

Dile:]thanks man

Mr_S_14:haha, thanks man, I'm looking forward to seeing your sb also ^^.

Faust:
    thanks man, Go Deutchland for the World Cup

Asoir: thanks man, glad you stopped in my sb, I'll be sure to check our your sb,

Ok now for another little update, more sketches from paintings, trying to get down the structure. Not there yet, but will keep on cranking them out. going to go back to the basics after a few more painting study sketches.

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
Hey Darktwin, Great updates! and thanks alot for checking
My sketchbook as well! Only thing I would like to see more
of is lifedrawings, mostly people! although your doing very well with
figures anyways, but keep it up! you can only be better

Thanks
    So, I'm in random crit mode, and you are the unfortunate guy I'm criticising, of course I grant you a revenge

Sooo, this study here is exemplaric for the things which are looking not only not refined, but also not mastered, and that since quite some time, so I'll take the time and explain them in detail:

Facial structure: It may sound weird, but I see you are drawing a face like this: Two eyes, a nose, a mouth and the eyebrows. Et voilà, right? Wrong. Unfortunately thats the representation we are tought to have from faces since we were born. It's essential because we can seperate other individuals from our species that way. Like mommy and later daddy. Drawing-wise, those representations are utterly useless, since the features we recall, like eyes and mouths and such are exaggerated and the wrong features are drawn. In this particular drawing, the eyes are so obvious drawn as big eyes, that they almost seem like manga-eyes. Well perhaps not that much.
    Anyways, you have to keep in mind, that the form of the features is always described with the surrounding skin-planes. This also counts for the mouth. Well, you did a better job here, I'd just advice you to do much more research on this, because it is one of the reasons the faces of wes9000 and Insane visions look so badass (You should check out their SBs if you haven't already). You'll see that drawing an eye or a mouth is much more than just drawing some elipses.
    Further, your features lack structure, which is the same as perspective, in principal. Try to think of the head as a 3d-object with the features being additional objects alighned to it. Perhaps that helps you better, becuase right now, they are out of space. Draw helping lines, if you must.
    Actually, you have the same problems with your monster's faces, they are just not so apparent, because they are not human (Y'know the pattern recognition thing I explained earlier), but they are still unbalanced.

Clothing: I know you aren't that experienced with folds, me neither, but I do see that yours don't work. It's difficult to say why they don't work, I'd guess it's your shading, the hatching just doesn't work out so well here. And you don't seem to put much work into the fabric. here, it's obvious you put some work into the collar, but the rest of the dress looks just out of place. Take your time, you can do faster drawings later!

Shading: I will step up and say that I clearly dislike your shading style with the pencil. It is just too corny. On the one hand side, the mixture with the cross-hatching and the flat-texture (don't know how you call that), doesn't do it, they don't enhance your drawings but decrease them. The reason is firstly because it is inconsistent, I don't know why you use crosshatching for that plane and the soft pencilshading for other, and they are both not very elaborated.
    Cross-hatching: Again, I take this one as an example, the lines are to few. The trick with cross-hatching is that you loose the grip on the individual line as viewer. Your individual lines are sadly obvious. Use much less spacing between them. Sharpen your pencil more often, if you have to, because it doesn't work out. Secondly, the direction of the lines have to describe the form. You did that pretty well in most areas, though.
    Soft shading with the side of the pencil: you need a much wider array of values for this one! you begin too light and end up too dark, with not much variety inbetween. You got to use the values you have, the collar of this guys shows me that you can make a decent dark. Now make those darks! You have to remember where are your darkest spots, where are your lightiest spots. practice!
    BTW: This here is great shading! Practice that until you master it, it'll go faster with the time.

A more general crit would be that you have to take much more time with what you are doing. Crappying out as much drawings as you can won't get you faster to a higher level than spending more time on a single study and do that right. You hair, for instance looks messy. I have the same problems and I know that I have to study those very extensively.

That coming from an utter amateur! Just keep drawing and throw getting better!

Thanks
    Hey whats up dude,

i just went thru all the pages, nice stuff ! Amazing to see how much you improved since day 1.
    What i think you could work on to get more punch in yoru drawings is the delimitation of your different tones, try to get them a little sharper maybe,. And keep up those study, the ones you did are kick ass.
    peace

Thanks
    Hey man, it's been waay too long since I was in here last. You've been doing some great improvements behind my back!

Faust's feedback rings very true to me. You've got some awesome shit going on, then it seems like laziness takes over and you get in a hurry to get to the finished piece. I'm pretty familiar with that procedure myself >.<

Do you use different grades of pencil softness on a single page? Maybe it's just the scans, but it looks like your paper grain is varying. Too much different pencil grades just makes things look like they don't fit together IMO.

O yea, that statue was the sweet shit. Massive inspiration right there!
    Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Thanks
    Hey guys just letting you know that I'm heading out of town to the east coast for my uncles wedding. Won't be back until late tuesday night. Will have work to post when I get back.

Thanks for the crit guys especially you faust, man you are correct with a lot of things, I'm actually decent at drawing folds, just trying different things, cough and being lazy cough, faces are a challenge for me, going to slow down and post more quality ones. Thanks again guys for your crits. see you when I get back

Thanks
    Dile: thanks man, grats on the 4 stars man, keep working hard,

Faust: Man I don't know what to say, I really appreciate you taking the time to critique my work, its really good to get a reality check from others, especially from the a ssg, thanks man, I'm really motivated now, you keep working hard also.

WhiteC: Thanks for the tip man, I'm definitly going to be working on my tonal values.

Bloodbane: Thanks for stopping in man, very much appreciate it, yeah I'm need to work on my values. Thanks for the feedback man, will return the favor.

OK its been awhile since I've updated, the trip to Virginia was cool, got to see my parents and relatives on my dads side of the family. It was good to get away from the computer for awhile. I've been back for a little while, my summer class has started, I'm taking a head drawing class, (Damn do I need it). The cool thing is the class has only 5 people including myself, so the instructor should be giving us more feedback. Thrusday was my first day of class, it kicked my ass. We worked specifically on features of the face, (nose, eyes, mouth, forhead) working on trying to see the planes on the face, breaking it down to the basics. I'm understanding the concepts, but man its definitly work. I'm going to work my ass off to get as much out of this class as I possibly can.

First few pages are creature doodles I randomly put on paper, following the marker sillouette creatures, that was a fun exerscise going to be doing a lot more of those. Then some ok portraits trying to apply some of what I learned class.

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

+more work+  s  8/22

Thanks
    wow, great update!
    love the portraits, they look lovely and show so much improvement, compared to the ones to did before. hope you enjoy your class, you really made me envious, i want something like that, too. looking forward to see your progress! cheers,

stine

Thanks
    These are looking great. the thumbnails show a good variety of shapes.
    the portraits are great looking also. But try to add some values in the eye socket. Especially for the third one, looking at the shadow under her nose.
    The last one is looking great =)
    Keep it up !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
  • Hey, thanks Darktwin!
    I must say that I strongly like your latest portrait!!
    I second what recrusive_end told you! but Still its a big improvement!
    you managed to erease alot of problems that Faust told you about !!

Thanks
    Hey, I haven't visited your SB in a long time. Sorry about that but I see you have improved greatly. Those last portraits are amazing. Very nice contrasts! Keep up the great work.
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    very nice portraits . cool rendering
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

• Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast