Thanks

question about color picker arrangement in photoshop

sorry for starting a thread for a (probably already solved) problem like this, but i couldn't find any answer in the help library nor the internet..

soo:

how can i arrange the "color picker" in photoshop cs the same way as in painter?

in painter it looks a bit like this

and in photoshop i can only pick my colors by first clicking at the foreground/background color in the toolbar and then choosing my color from a color picker.. a bit annoying i think.

i hope someone knows how to solve this problem,
    thanks in advance

Lim

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you can't, you do have the sliders though, much better if you know your color theory, you don't have the automatic way of choosing complimentary colurs, but, load the hsb slider, and you have much more control over your pallette, hue, saturation, brightness, all you need, only way to replicate it is to load an image of a wheel and pick from that

Thanks
    only way to replicate it is to load an image of a wheel and pick from that
    Not a shabby idea actually. Anyone have an idea of how to make a unifrom color wheel that goes through all colors and values? I would actually use that quite often. Just paste it into whatever you are working on and sample from it.

EDIT: started making one actually, but it's hard to cram everything into one color wheel.

EDIT2: Is it possible to create a new photoshop popup window with a color wheel image in it? Not just an open image but a window that is integrated into the program. That would be very cool.
    Last edited by dfacto; May 22nd, 2005 at 11:10 AM.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Well, I did cram everything in, going by steps of 20% saturation through the color picker. Also put in some skin and general swatches. Not super great, but could be fairly useful for fast colo picking. Comments?

Or maybe this one:

Bit more understandable.
    Last edited by dfacto; May 22nd, 2005 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    thx for the feedback, guys.
    great idea on that color wheel, dfacto! i guess it could prove as useful..
    still, i am bothered that i cannot switch the color wheel in photoshop because at 1280*1024 the hsg or rgb-color-picker is just really tiny and it's not easy to pick the exact color i like very fast..

Thanks
    Yeah, it really is annoying. It would be great if you could create a custom palette with your own image to sample from, but after some looking around I think that would require the SDK and code work. Bleh.

Thanks
    I always despised the colour whell in painter, photoshop and flash mx have the best ones IMO. That colour wheel thing you made is nice, but do you have a hi res version of it?

Thanks
    Highest I have is 1000x1300 or so. It's in .psd format with both versions in there. You could scale it up more though, since the colors and not the sharpness are important.

Thanks
    anyone else has a solution on this?
    maybe some of the professionals that use photoshop all the time?

how do you deal with the "color-picking-process"?

Thanks
    I suppose if you have a generally pastel color palette like Bengal you could use a custom color table fairly efficiently. Otherwise I don't really think there is some magic trick to it aside from either sampling from an image or just using the built in pickers.

Thanks
    I was hoping PhotoShop CS2 would have more features geared toward the artists instead of the digital darkroom (no offense intended). I was trying to map the large color picker to a hotkey but no such luck, at least on the demo version anyway. Anyone ever figured out a way to do that via a third party app or something? I would have loved to have seen a color picker like Painter's or even just a color palette to throw colors on. Maybe in CS3....

Thanks

HSB Tricks in PS

Adobe will never adopt the Painter color picker (just trust me on this one); no sense in waiting or hoping for it, so here are some alternatives/hints/tips.

First of all, Painter is based on HSB (Hue, Saturation and Brightness) color theory, so change your PS color picker to that mode using the wing menu in the upper right of the palette.

Secondly, if it's a matter of "dialing in" a specific hue, the up and down arrows in any Photoshop text field will increment that value by 1 up or one down, respectively. Holding down the shift key while using the arrow keys changes this by 10 instead of one. I find this faster than using the mouse if I want to dial in just the right color, but your mileage may vary.

Third, don't be afraid of using the Swatches palette - in fact, I find that ripping it out of its palette group (click and drag on the tab) is pretty useful so that I can see both the color picker and the swatches palette at the same time. Working on an extended series of pieces? Save the swatches set and even share it with other artists on your team. Don't be afraid to blow away the defaults, they are a cinch to restore. Every piece I do, I find some core colors, drop 'em in as swatches, and then all I have to do is vary either the paint blending mode or the lightness of them as I model volume in the piece.

Hope this helps,
    -Atomick
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Two thoughts in one post...

First I've seen people with small dots of color in their image. My guess is these people are color picking from these for their base colors and then adjusting value and saturation in the sliders. From recent experience I found these also helps tie your colors into the background, assuming you paint the background before the dots.

My second thought is about my current workflow. I like to work with all the Photoshop palettes hidden (hit tab in the image window). The problem is you can't get all the colors you need with that stuff hidden. So when I start an image the first thing I do is create a new image at 1"x2"x300dpi as my palette. I try and figure out what colors I'll need and paint some of each on my palette. I also paint a little black to white gradient for mixing purposes. Now when I need a color I can mix it up on my palette, or pick it if I've already mixed it. Also, this is probably common knowledge but, you can color pick from another image without switching windows. You can also clone/heal from an image other then the one your working on...

Those are my ideas anyway, I'm still getting a handle on the basics of painting though and would really like to hear how the pro's deal with this.