Thread: Baraka

Thanks

Baraka

if anybody gets a chance you should really see the movie BARAKA--

it was shot around the world on 70mm panoramic film. theres no real story or any dialogue. just beautiful cinematography, excellent shots, cool music, and global locations and situations. its a powerful trip. ----ty

you can probably find it at your local video store--its also worth buying for the cinematography alone

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I was friggin amazed by that movie. It was so visually stunning. I loved the monkeys in the snow! hehehe

Thanks
    Yes! this movie is great, I saw many years ago. A question: did you see Dreams of Akira Kurosawa, I recommend it!!!

Thanks
    wasn't that just on sundance like 3 times today?
    haha
    Anyways yea that movie is awesome.

If you liked Baraka you'd probably love the Qatsi trilogy. Reason is that Ron Fricke who basically made Baraka was involved in the Qatsi films.
    Three full length movies similiar to Baraka starting with Koyaanisqatsi which came out in the early 80's, followd by Powaqqatsi and finally Naqoyqatsi was just released this year. All directed by Godfrey Reggio an amazing man (never met him but he seems like he should be) at the age of 14 he took a vow of silence and joined a brotherhood of monks for 14 years. After he left monkhood he got involved in film, and soon teamed up with Ron Fricke (the guy who directed Baraka) and Philip Glass (preeminent composer of our time) and created Koyaanisqatsi. this movie was revolutionary for its day. Showing human society from odd vantage points in slow motion or at high speed. Supposed to challenge the way we perceive ourselves and society and show contrast between our way of life and natures way.
    Koyyanisqatsi in Hopi means life out of balance.
    Powaqqatsi means life as tranformation
    Naqoyqatsi means life as war.

Here is the website for the movies:
    http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org

and the trailer for Naqoyqatsi (my eyes tear every time i watch it):
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/naqoyqatsi/

Sorry for the ranting but i think these films never get enough recognition and exposure.
    Anyone else ever see these?

Thanks
    sketch--yea the part where the monkey is falling asleep is the coolest thing ive ever seen hahahah

arkonos--"dreams" by Kurosawa is based on Picasso's life right? havent seen it but i have been meaning to

Ummo-wow thanks for all the great info --i have seen excerpts from the quatsi trilogy-and its in the same vein as baraka. i havent given them a chance but they seemed more experimantal and not as cohesive--where baraka just grabbed me and held me throughout the entire film
    im getting some phillip glass right now--ive heard really good things

---ty

Thanks
    Well!! Thanks for share that information about this movies Ummo, I really appreciate it!, And I really don´t know nothing about it.
    If you like Phillip Glass, I think that the last work he does was the Original Soundtrack for movie "The Hours", and It`s good. A little deppress but cool.
    About your question Tyboogie, about if the film Dreams of Kurosawa is based on Picasso´s life, I have to tell you that you´re wrong =( .
    This movie, are short stories about different themes: Dead, fear, happiness, etc.. Kurosawa put poetry in every image in this film. Dreams is for reflex and relax!!!.
    I really love it!

Boys, really I found a good post here , and want to say thank you to share every information. Thanks again.
    I hope to see a new post here from you soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts
    best use of film ever

Thanks
    yah man.. that movie is intense. the part with the baby chickies is unbelievable. the meca part was cool too.
    and all of the crazy monk chanting..

wicked.

-Lono

Thanks
    Yeah i love the chanting part too. nobody kill me, but personally i didn't like "Dreams" very much. The first few were AMAZING... but it really fell off for me after that. i mean the fox one, WOW, that'll stick with me forever.. and the tree one, but, alot of them were kind of dogmatic and just not... what i expected i guess.

Thanks
    yep saw it as well....love the shots as well as the musical score that accompanied the shots....
    well i will lurk here as well...lurk...lurk...lurk

Thanks
    i wish i could keep this post going forever so everyone here would learn about BARAKA, but alas-it will fall off and some will never know of its sublime power. It's good to see people on this forum who have seen it--makes me proud!!

Lono --yea the part with the chickies was really powerful and definitely left an impact on me--that whole sequence just leaves you speechless

ill make sure to check out Kurosawas DREAMS

if your reading this for the first time GO GET BARAKA---ty

Thanks
    i love all Akira Kurosawa movies.. well,, most of them.
    im mostly into the samurai stuff.
    i do love a large portion of dreams. especially the orchard dream. i did however find the post apocolyptic dream slightly numming.
    but you must admit,, he made his transition to color very gracefully.

-Lono

Thanks
    From AKIRA KUROSAWA ive only seen "the Seven Samurai" and "RAN" which were both great. The seven samurai is soooooo good. i still need to see "Yojimbo", "the Hidden Fortress", "dreams" and a few others i cant think of right now. Theres also a documentary on Kurosawa that i rented on dvd about a yeear ago--it was pretty good. cant remember the name--but it should be at the local vid store.----ty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    is this a recent relase or like a classic from the 80's. I only have a dvd player so that is why i am asking.

Thanks
    BARAKA and kurosawas films and the Qatsii trilogy can all be found on dvd--baraka is lik e2 years old---ty

franz Guest
    Originally posted by tyboogie
    baraka is lik e2 years old
    Are you sure? I remember seeing the film as early as sometime in the mid 90s, 1994/95 or so.. Then again I might be totally wrong

[edit]I just did a little research: It was released *11* years ago, in 1992.. wow :eek/edit]

Thanks
    oh-my bad--i just looked on the back of my dvd and it said 2001--guess thats when the dvd was released--

the quality of the picture looks like it could have been made yesterday--