C.O.W. - #015: Gluttonous Emperor

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #015: Gluttonous Emperor

Round #015

Topic:
    Gluttonous Emperor

Deadline:
    Friday, 27 May 2005

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    READ THIS!!!

Ok, fungi picked the topic for this round...

Everyone who wants to enter this activity, remember this is about CREATURES, NOT characters.

This means your entry should look like a general emperor like an ant-queen or a silverback gorilla...no individual emperors which are more a character!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont understand, why cant the creatures be characters? aslong as they arent human then whats the problem?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that's what i had in mind when starting this activity...i wanted to have something like an encyclopedia with different creatures which could exist but are results of the artists imagination...something like a description of our minds fauna...

characters can't be found in animal lexicons, or?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well that kinda destroys the whole topic for me, so feel free to change it to somthing more suitable or somthing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozzy- I just want to know where to draw the line between "character" and "Creature".. was my shadow producer too much of a character..or is that considered ok as a creature by your standards? just curious, so i know for this round..
    I can understand that at times something can be considered a character more so than a creature even if its not human, for example star wars: A character such as Darth Maul although not human differs in respect to a character like jar jar binks who is also a "character" but less human in appearance. There can be many creatures with human like stances, posture, body shape and anatomy..but can be considered a creature, or also a creature that would be considered more of a character if it has capabilities of wearing clothes, talking, its intellect, the way it moves...

Its hard to differ between the two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fungi
    I don't see why this destroys the whole topic...as i said an ant-queen is a gluttonous emperor for me...so just don't give your creature clothes or weapons or whatever it makes a character...it will work fine...

MIKECORRIERO
    Your Shadowless were absolutely ok, you described them as a lifeform not as "Tony - the Shadowproducer"...it wasn't an individual, more a species...now, if you want to show the creature/race which jar jar binks belongs to, draw his species, you don't need to draw jar jar binks as a character to show his species...i hope you understand what i mean...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, let's take oooo... a big foot/yeti. Is that sort of thing a creature or character. I guess I also kind of touched upon a character-creature for this topic... so maybe a better example would be Nemo, from Pixar's "Finding Nemo". He's both a character and a creature. Are you looking for something that does not exude human traits? And is essentially, an "animal" as would be found in the wild? Just want to clarify. Thanks

-Daniel

[EDIT] I think you just answered my questions. Basically, we're not supposed to be showing a specific creature, such as Javier the Yeti, rather, we show what the Yeti, as a race, look like. Noooow it's all clear. Thanks

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok let me try to explain it with this example:

If an alien race would take the human race into an encyclopedia of the species from different galaxies, they would take a photo of an average naked human, they wouldn't take a photo of Michael Jackson with his outfit (besides that he's an alien for himself )...look in an anatomy or biology book, there are photos of naked men/women posing naked for the cam, not wearing any clothes, jewelry or having accessoires like patches, glasses or anything else which makes an anonym human to a character with a personal story behind...that's because the reader of this book is interested in the anatomy or typical behaviour of this species not in the individual fate of the photographed man/woman...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuzion
    [EDIT] I think you just answered my questions. Basically, we're not supposed to be showing a specific creature, such as Javier the Yeti, rather, we show what the Yeti, as a race, look like. Noooow it's all clear.
    Ah, yes, you answered my answer while i was answering your question...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all crystal clear. So, I'll make a lion sitting on a throne with a crown picking his teeth and I'll call him.. oh wait. nevermind...

I sort of love the topic -- it's a challenge, but no more a challenge than choosing something like 'king of the jungle' and doing a top of the food chain predator. It's also damn open-ended, so I think it'll be a good opportunity to run off to a comfort zone creature of some kind after my last three or four cow entries failed terribly.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gluttonous Emperor -
    Native to the nitrogen heavy moon of Sadukar II, the Gluttonous Emperor is a terrifying creature to behold. Standing at over 12 feet in height, the Emperor fears no other life form on the moon. Being the dominate predator on Sadukar, it viciously kills whatever it comes across, not caring whether it needs to eat or not. There are times when the Gluttonous Emperor eats so much it can hardly move, with litters of dead carcasses surrounding it. Many smaller predators will wait just out of sight of the Emperor to feed on the dead that it leaves behind as it moves on to another location. It is because of these violent excessive killing instincts and its status as the dominate species on the moon that has given it its name.

Last edited by nightfend; May 22nd, 2005 at 09:19 PM.
    Michael W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Retracted my Entry- do not include me

Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 28th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone. I have been watching these creature of the week competitions now for a short while... i have finally got up the courage to try to do a creature for this weeks comp. as always i'm still learning the nicks and nacks of painter and trying to work on my color skills. I did this creature in painter ix, it took about 3.5 hours from start to finnish. I may update it a bit, but i kinda like the way it is now. I'm still learning painter and am improving every time i practice Thank you to everyone on these boards for the amazing inspiration!!

Virus Name: Gluttonous Emperor.

Description: The gluttonous emporer, one of the most feared of all network viruses has garnered the reputation for sucking bandwidth from it's prey with little to no animosity or pity. The gluttonous emperor is a common virus many people don't even know they have. Whenever you notice a lag spike or your internet crashes without warning, you know that the glottonous emperor has struck!

Last edited by Soultek; May 23rd, 2005 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Soultek
    Whenever you notice a lag spike or your internet crashes without warning, you know that the glottonous emperor has striked!
    I believe it is 'struck' not 'striked'...fyi.

Cheers,
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gluttonous Emperor

Have you ever wondered where certain objects disappear to? Your sock, a pet lobster, family members? They just disappear never to return. Well here at Nappy Research Co., we have discovered a logical and most fascinating explanation to your unfortunate situation.

We have discovered a new species which has been reaping the world of everything it can get its tongue around. This creature, appropriately called the living garbage disposal, was discovered by librarian Norma Hallingsworth when all 43 of her cats were consumed by this beast living in her garage. Our Nappy researchers rushed to the scene after years of suspicion to finally get the info they were looking for.

This living garbage disposal consumes anything and everything around. Like a goldfish, this creature will continue to grow as long as there is space and a continuing source of food. With tentacles for maneuverability, large arms for handling its food and a vicious and accurate tongue for hunting, this creature should be feared by all. To prevent attacks or stop this creature from eating your precious kitties, we recommend tasting bad. More specifically, eat garlic, rub your body in manure and wash your hair in pickle juice and you should be living an attack free life.

Last edited by Rosco; May 27th, 2005 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, you are right redehlert. Man do i feel stupid now.. it even sounds funny when i read it back to myself. I guess that's what happens when you try to post at 5am with no sleep .

Mikecorriero: That's a cool design for the monster. However this does not seem as strong as some of your other pieces you have posted. Is this the final drawing or are you still working on it? If i were you i would lose the "speckled" bacground and the blue border lines for the name as they are a bit distracting.

Nightfiend: Interesting idea. It feels a bit to monochromatic atm though. I think perhaps you should push the darks a bit and and get more variation in your shading. I also think that you need to establish an overall light source for the image.

Rosco: Ditch the plain black background on this. I like the idea for the creature and it has a humorous feel to it, almost cartoony. Also for yours focus on a light source and add shadows accordingly. I think you should have more variation in color weight as well. At the moment you piece seems kinda flat to me. It fits the cartoon style well, but i think you can push this piece farther.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soultek- This was about a 15 min. pencil sketch, and then about 30 min. of rough color layed on top..I dont consider this to be a FINAL, but it is going to have to do in the mean time, while i get some real work done..and attend to more important things.

I may decide to redo this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man, i know how you feel. I'm finnishing up finals here at college and hardly have time to do anything either. I wish you luck in your work and hope that all is going well. I'm looking forward to your finnished piece if you get around to it Your work along with a few others on this thread have inspired me greatly, and for that i thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries frinds. Good start. And soultek your signature is very cool. I think so. Good lucks. I want to join this thread but There is nothing in my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Galaxy exploration unit 2 - subdivision: planetary patrol
    Urgent message...

We found out why our efforts to communicate with human settlement 'Harris' (planet - 8623) have lead to nothing. The planet is in ruines and the planets surface is highly unstable. Most of the bodies had to be salvaged from space since gravity has collapsed. Unfortunatly, the planet's systemlink was completely wasted so no immediate data was available. It was with enormous luck that we found the body of Duron Gezby carrying a PDA which contains terrifying information. Copying PDA data ...
    PDA Gezby
    entry ~ 334b
    It came out of nowhere... Why have we heard no response from the Earth Union? They must realise the desperate situation we are in. They have to come for us!
    The science team believes the approaching entity causes the electric disturbance and therefor all of our pleas for help have reached none.
    God have mercy on our lives! We are too late with the evacuations, the sheer proximity of this leviathan enemy causes the planet to go insane with 'natural disasters'.
    This may very well be my last entry, this demon from the darkest regions of space is almost upon us.
    All hail the Gluttonous emperor! It shall devour us all and cast our sinfull souls in the abyss... How many planets has this thing consumed and where will it end. It's chilling gaze will look upon our kin and ...
    With this horrible message the entry ends. Clearly this poor man did not have the strength to undergo the situation.
    As strange as it may be, we have not found a single trace of this entity he speaks of. However, we cannot ignore the distastrous state this planet is in and send an investiga-
    -ERROR in send message
    - contacting sender server
    - sender offline...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting every day with 200lbs of raw meat brought to him by those of his harem that are currently fertile, the giant blue 'Emperor Sakavee' will set about his task, 10 hours of near constant sex. A large Emperor will have upto a 1000 females under his watchful eye and every summer will have to fight for every single one of them, it is unlikely he will lose to a male with a small harem as his food stocks wont be so high, however when it becomes evident that he is weakening a male will pass on his harem to a son, the son will have been a daughter fed on hormone rich excreta from the Emperor to allow her to grow wings, male genitals and the chitinous head protection used in battle. A second son will be matured and sent out to gain another harem. The wings will wither to less than a tenth original size after the first sexual encounter.

Last edited by young paddy1; May 28th, 2005 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey youngpad - maybe a little humanoid, but then again, i got by with my nocturnal predator gal and was only slapped around afterwards. keep trying to distort it more and more to move away from the shape you presently have. but what do i know....
    peace.
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Known by the locals as “arse face” the Gluttonous Emperor secretes a strong odour and a sticky, glucose rich, fluid that attracts thousands of insects, birds and small mammals from miles around.

The large nose horn is used to attract the smaller females, which he grabs with his tail pincers in order to mate.

Last edited by AndrewLey; May 25th, 2005 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AndrewLey - Hell that rocks... icky!

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK so heres mine... about 2 hours work, in Painter.. just kinda playing around really. I know theres a few mistakes.. like his 'headdress/top shell' is a little of perspective wise. Still getting used to painter so i hope this ones OK.

Marrow Confector:
    Standing for Bone Marrow Consumer, the Marrow Confector, feasts on the bones of the species underlings and workers in the mating season. The emporer consumes many of the preserved corpses of other species (and his own), through the base of the huge digestive system. Digesting the bones the it takes the main materials and creates the over the top 'headdress' of bones to attract females of the species for mating, and thus contuation of its clan. The emperors of clans compete with each to consume the most corpses and bones to create the larger headdress, along with body paints and mating calls to attract the females, and reproduce, increasing there numbers.

So Far:

Comments appreciated.

EDIT: DiD a new ink/PS :

Last edited by PHATandy; May 28th, 2005 at 03:01 PM.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey PhatAndy - my only rec is to change the name to 'Marrow' since 'Medulla' can refer to so many other things (eg adrenal medulla, medulla oblongota-in brain, medulla of kidney, etc.). Besides, I think peeps know what marrow is and will tie in better with your concept copy.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Cheers,
    D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im down with that. done .

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work everyone.

AndrewLey: cool looking character, i like that style of painting, so simple yet looks slimy and whatnot. The local name "arse face" hehe, love it.

Phatandy: interesting idea, i think it would benifit a bit from a little more line variation. also that bright blue background is a bit distracting and contrasts to much with the style of the character.

young paddy1: gotta love the poo :-P

redehlert: cool idea, i would like to see this in color, it has a giger'ish feel to it atm. (which is a good thing)

possessed: I love that story, very cool. I think you need to work out the image a bit more though. try adding some more highlights and reworking the background a bit, try to make it look more "spacey" with stars and perhaps a more defined planet.

rosco: glad you changed the background on that, looks much better. perhaps add some stylized sillouetes[sp?] of trees in the background.

keep up the good work guys.
    Soultek

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by redehlert
    since 'Medulla' can refer to so many other things (eg adrenal medulla, medulla oblongota-in brain, medulla of kidney, etc.). Besides, I think peeps know what marrow is and will tie in better with your concept copy.D
    you're such a nerd, dave. i love it. it's too bad you're married and not a woman.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.