Thanks

What should I do over the summer?

I am right now wrapping up my freshmen year in college and figuring out what to do over the summer. There is a fair chance that I may switch majors in the future, from bioengineering to architecture or anything else related to concept art. I need to however, figure out exactly what I am doing, scout out my interests further. My exposure to concept art comes primarily from this forum as well as the rest of the net. I am trying to find something to do over the summer to make up for my lack direct experience with professional artist as well as art student. Currently I am searching for internships, volunteer as well as job opportunities through the internet and the career center at my school. My research has turned up one time jobs to paint peoples bathrooms, volunteer positions to teach children how to make pasta jewelry among other opportunities that i got the feeling, will not galvanize me to pursue concept art. Do you guys have any other ideas? Also, if I were to take classes, which types would you recommend? Although I have not taken any college art classes, I am pretty sure my skills are decent ( I have done freelance work before), well above the expectations for general classes.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you can scrounge up the money (being a student that may be hard, but hey, you've got two or three months to work your ass off), the ConceptArt.org workshop in Prague is my biggest recommendation.

Or just spend the summer locked in your room drawing.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    just draw, its as simple as that, draw until you are up to par with pros on the boards
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    I still don't feel up to par after four years of art college. Not by far. 50% of what you get out of college is the practice you do outside of class.

I'd say get a nice parttime job, and in the spare time PRACTICE like crazy.
    Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks

Well, that's entirely up to you now, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver23
    I am trying to find something to do over the summer to make up for my lack direct experience with professional artist as well as art student. Currently I am searching for internships, volunteer as well as job opportunities through the internet and the career center at my school. My research has turned up one time jobs to paint peoples bathrooms, volunteer positions to teach children how to make pasta jewelry among other opportunities that i got the feeling, will not galvanize me to pursue concept art. Do you guys have any other ideas?
    No ideas come to mind off the bat, but it looks like you've stayed motivated into looking into as many options as were available to you, why pause now? Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find something of interest. Being as you're in Cali, there really isn't a shortage of places to go to further develop your art skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver23
    Also, if I were to take classes, which types would you recommend? Although I have not taken any college art classes, I am pretty sure my skills are decent ( I have done freelance work before), well above the expectations for general classes.
    Well, that would probably all depend on your skill level now, wouldn't it. Maybe taking some art classes that you find somewhat challenging or interesting could be a good start. Look to expose yourself to what you are unfamiliar with. Join or start up a group of artists in your area, so you can get into the art scene in your area and have some contacts to work with in the future, should this become a career venue you feel confident in wanting to pursue. All in all, it's up to you what you can do with your summer. there's lots to do, and plenty of time to make it happen. Lots of luck to ya.

Thanks
    We're in the exact same boat. I chose the take summer school for a month or 2 and the lock myself in my room and draw option. Next summer Im gonna shoot for an internship somewhere but until then I need to work on my shoddy skills.

Thanks
    I'm working, and been working and plan on continuing the "drawing my ass off" part to becoming an artist. My skills are still nowhere near where I want them to be; I think that is a universal feeling. But, i don't think things are as simple as "working until i'm up there with the pros", although that is good general advice. In my case, I need to know what it means to be a pro in the first place, how they live, why they live and do the things they do. The screen in front of me has ..... limits.

Thanks
    well, as said, you could meet a lot of pros and see them work / get to talk to them at the prague workshop. that will teach you about what they do and how they do it a bit.

you could also check out some of these meet the artist articles on cgtalk. check out the thread on feng zhu and scott robertson.

that gives you a bit of an idea of where they are, and how they got there.

otherwise getting some courses is not a bad idea, you get your skills up and often the teachers are guys that are working in the industry. so concider doing some courses at gnomon , and/or watts

you were saying that you were thinking about getting into architecture or anything concept art related: as an architect with two master degrees from two different institutes i can tell you getting into architecture is going to be very different from doing concept art. find out the difference before you decide. i suggest you look at some courses at different academies and check out work from graduates, the subjects you would get, etc. a lot of people (wanting to get) into CA are studying industrial design, or illustration.

whatever your thinking about doing, architecture, concept art or illustration, i think you can count on busting your ass, pulling all-nighters and impossible deadlines, combined with a lot of fun, excitement and playing around with ideas, shapes, inventing things etc...

hope that helped a bit.

tensai