Thanks

What is it about StarWars?

ROTS has the fastest growing thread in this section for some time. There is so much passion in some of our posts of incredible let downs to thumbs all the way up.

I am really curious as to what it is it about SW that has all of us so attached and has had us attached since 77. Is it the characters? The designs? The genre?

What is it for each of you that really made you a fan?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The original trilogy got me hooked at an early age. I didn't know anything about designs, characters or all of that.. I just had a feeling in my 5 year old brain that Star Wars was soooo much better compared to anything else I had ever seen. Darth Vader would kick Pippi Longstockings ass anyday, for example. And lightsabers.. need I mention the lightsabers?

Thanks
    Going to bed in my Return of the Jedi bed set as a kid, dreaming of Darth Vader and the Crimson Guard at his side which was the last thing I would see as I lay my weary head down upon the ewoks of my pillow case... That's when I was just a kid... I still have the pillow case... And it's going back on the pillow tonight because my god, I've finally seen the whole thing come full circle...

I think it's that many people, like myself, grew up with Star Wars in some way, shape or form. It's almost engrained into many of our cultures and basically is a beautifully done Anthology of Science Fiction evoloution. You can watch the actual evoloution of the entire genre through each movie, that's what I find the most entertaining about the series.
    Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul. - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    ...I think it's because the kid inside of us knows on some level that the force is more tangible than the real world will allow us to believe.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Nostalgia.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    well, any movie with people running around jabbering about the force and wipping out lightsabers ranks high in my book
    still, all the ideas in there are really amazing and especially the fact that kids can watch it and such. I never even realized that every star wars movie up to the rots was pg. thats pretty sweet in its own, so all the little kids can watch a good decent film without having pink dancing dinosaurs. But ultimately it was the swords.

Thanks
    what's it about star wars? I don't know. I'm not a fan, probably b/c I never watched the 3 old ones. and the new ones are just... well, not so good. And I don't understand the big deal on ROTS, personally I was very disappointed with that movie.

Thanks
    explosions for the visual kind and screeching starship sounds for the auditive ones.

Thanks
    I think it's the same thing with the Matrix, and other cool ideas that people love. The concept is so sweet in everyones mind, even though several films in the series are garbage, there is so many great ideas that allow people to make the universe a reality for themselves...

It's the daydreaming outside the theatre where the magic happens.

Thanks
    It's about creating a complete universe that is unique and unified... that should be a goal for any creative person. Something with it's own histories, styles, religions, ideals, cultures, whatever. Few things have gone as in depth as star wars. Dune could be another example.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix
    It's about creating a complete universe that is unique and unified... that should be a goal for any creative person. Something with it's own histories, styles, religions, ideals, cultures, whatever. Few things have gone as in depth as star wars. Dune could be another example.
    Pretty much, any one else notice that "the force" is based almost fully off of Buddhism? Yoda said "Do not attack..." and a bit more though I can't quite quote it exactly, any ways it's almost exactly what the original Buddha said.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence

I am really curious as to what it is it about SW that has all of us so attached and has had us attached since 77. Is it the characters? The designs? The genre?
    It's the toys, products, mass media consumer manipulation and $$$ ,or in other words orgy of capitalism.
    The choice was not your own, you only think it was.
    Now go and buy some SW Lego and have a SW meal at Burger King and than drink some Pepsi and may the force be with you!

Last edited by darkcult; May 20th, 2005 at 11:25 PM.
    darkcult

Thanks
    What else is there that you've watched as a kid that are so appealing to kids? It's that and, yeah, the inevitable nostalgia arising from that.
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chяis
    Pretty much, any one else notice that "the force" is based almost fully off of Buddhism? Yoda said "Do not attack..." and a bit more though I can't quite quote it exactly, any ways it's almost exactly what the original Buddha said.
    yeah, buddha was all about attacking, especially with light sabers.
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Because, depsite Lucas' best efforts, they remain the best sci-fi movies ever made.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    War in the stars with lightsabers and funny little green men who cant talk straight. Charming

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    ROTS has the fastest growing thread in this section for some time. There is so much passion in some of our posts of incredible let downs to thumbs all the way up.

What is it for each of you that really made you a fan?

the deeper philosophical meaning (((((which isnt that obvious but there is awesome wisdom pearls inside that sci-fi story.. it seems its nothing u can see or feel that easy ..(maybe it requires the understanding of philosophy basics). some ppl can see it.. some ppl just cant and when u tell em about that wisdom and how it becomes real..... they just tell u whaha ur crazy.. this and that cant be bla bla and some more random bullshit)))))

i know i know.. ""humans"" believ in what they see right ?

that question -> whats the meaning of existence- who am i ? <- has the same entertainment factor as SW 1 - 6
    Last edited by -sideshowbob-; May 24th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.

born in townsville, NSW Australia, 1992 moved to Jakarta, Indonesia. 2000 moved to Perth, Western Australia and still living there
    Thanks
    what made me a fan:

im not entirely sure to tell the truth. but ive never had anything against the films. i enjoy them. they entertain me. the characters (well. some of them) are quite indepth and full of stories that catch my interest, and the idea is great. to me, anyway.

with the last three movies, what kept me watching and quite enjoying them, was watching anakin develop. saw the third one and loved it. definitely finished it off with a blast and really set you up for episode IV imho. yep i dont mind star wars.

Thanks
    Lightsabers, lightsabers, lightsabers, lightsabers, leia in dancer outfit in ROTJ, lightsabers, lightsabers, lightsabers.....
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Han Solo is my hero.