Archer

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Archer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Archer

Hello, guys!

Yesterday i started working on this new painting and before i go into details i tought maybe it would be a good ideea to post it here first.
    I would like to ask you what do you think about the girl cause i have a feeling that something`s wrong with her face (too long maybe??) and i can`t firure out what. I`m not 100% sure about the clothes but that`s not a problem.
    I just wanna be sure that her proportions are ok.

Thanks in advance for your time and any sugestions are most welcome

Cya
    Archer

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who is the referrence?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There ref is a friend of mine, however i don`t have the picture by me now.(at work
    Her face is the same, i only changed the clothes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you keep the same level of detail on the clothes as you did on the face it could be awesome. Sorry for the poor crit, I just woke up

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't really judge without seenig the photo. I think her ear is a bit high up and small, the chin is pointing out a bit too much, and we are seeing a little too much of her right cheek at this angle. but that all could be part of her trait.
    The back is too ridigt in my opinion, I don't see the curve of the spine, you may want to loose it up, or maybe it'll look different once you add the shading. I think her waist is a bit too thin too. Her hand is kind of small and arms too straight, arms should have a bit of curve due to the muscule structure.
    That's about all I can say for now, I need breakfast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't think we need to see reference... an illustration or a painting is not a photograph, so it should be judged for what it is, and not for how close it is to its reference.

photo reference will always give us guidelines and precious info, but if it's just about copying the reference then the sole objective was to imitate a photograph and that, quite frankly is boring... besides, what would you do with her clothing and all her accessories??? i'm sure you don't have ref for that...

what you have to rely on is understanding. understanding of light, textures, anatomy, etc etc...

i think what look said doesn't have to be that specific and can be summarized by: "i don't like her pose". it's probably a nice nonchalant pic of your friend, but it makes crappy ref for an archer.

whatever happens in a photograph is not always aesthetic... even though it's "real". in your friend's case, it looks like she was just pushing her shoulders back and the pose became too rigid... you should always be careful to spot these things. Relaxed, natural, exciting poses are very hard to come up, but all you have to do is have your model relax and some wonderful things will come out of it.

your pic is great practice... a little hard edged but nice drawing on her face... (personally i hate teeth but yours look good, not like a pack of chiclets).

but if you're going for a killer piece, try planning it a bit more and search for that cool pose...

i like to paint...

uribearts.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolás Uribe
    i don't think we need to see reference... an illustration or a painting is not a photograph, so it should be judged for what it is, and not for how close it is to its reference.
    I thought this was done for a friend. In that case, the artist may want to make the face as close to the reference as possible. But I just re-read the first post, and seems you are just using it for mere reference, in that case, I'd agree with Nicolas, strictly looking at photo alone may cause dilussions, and certain forms may appear different as you draw them out b/c of difference in shading and lighting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like you had a cute picture of a cute girl, and then tried to turn it into an archer.
    nick is right, get your idea down, and then take some photos until you get something great.

the background coloring is beautiful, try to bring some of that color into her flesh tones. she looks a little washed out right now.

those arrows are really tiny.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Million thanks, everyone for your great advices.
    About this friend of mine - ooo yes she is a real cutey and she sent me a picture witch ilustrated this position - i didn`t change her body twist at all, just added fictional clothes but nicolas you are right. She does seem too rigid and i must think of something. Sadly i only have one picture of her. Maybe i`ll move her arms a bit...we`ll see.

@DSillustration - I`m not sure about the background color yet but her skin will reflect the back color, that`s for sure and you are definetly right about those arrows thanks

@look - it`s not a total dedication to her but i realy wanted to make the painting as real as posible so i`we spent quite some time on her face - not 100% finished - thanks

@Interceptor - i`m ready to spend days if i have to, just to make this painting as realistic as posible so i plan to add lots of details everywhere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to add, the quiver is too small. i know this is just nitpicking for detail but even in perspective it shouldn't be that small.

not the right style but pretty good example of the size compared to a female that's probably around the same height:
    http://www.3riversarchery.com/images/large/6590.jpg

hope this helps a little bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ injection223 - perfect pic! thanks so much, this realy helps alot

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.