Page 6 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

Thanks
    Sorry if I'm stopping by an aweful lot. I like your stuff and it makes me want to try some new things. One question, I notice you critique yourself alot. Do you notice these things after you are finished, because you could try to resolve some of them before you post the pic. Just a thought. As for a crit, yes her back side should be darker. You can make it darker without losing detail, but you would need to added some reflected lighting. Illuminate from the back but to a much less degree. Her right arm is not right. The deltoid area would be more defined and less of the tricept would be shown. The elbow area doesn't appear to be connect quite right for how her arm is sitting. I also think her head is about 5% too big. I noticed that it is part of your style to have a womans body be relatively thin and petite, but for Psylocke, especially if you are thinking Jim Lee Psylock, she wasn't that petite. I also go into X-Men in the early nineties...It is a good piece from memory. I too am working toward being able to draw without any reference. You are a couple steps ahead of me.
    Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

My kind of co worker

Whats up y'all..

hylandr2: Hey dude.. You can stop by and comment as much as you like (as long as it's constructive). I like it when I know people have taken the time to look and comment. Makes my work feel appreciated. Actually I subscribe to your thread and I don't get that many emails of updates on your pics I need to see some more stuff from you. You're getting really good at rendering. I like the progression from your first post. To answer your questions: Yes I do crit myself (sometimes harshly). The reason I do that is because it forces me move from one piece to the next hoping to make less mistakes. I actually mull over my work for a few minutes correcting stuff as I go. But if I keep dwellin on perfection I'll never move on to creating a new sketch. So my stuff is a little "rushed" if you want. I just want to crit my sketch as much as I want everyone to. Thanks for your crits. You're right her heads too big. Almost bobble head proportions. Good eye on the delts. Yeah my anatomy still off despite all that I've done. I do ok when there is a photo... but can't draw like that forever And thanks for the kind words... I'm glad you enjoy my stuff... I'll keep putting stuff out.. Now onto my next piece.

Alright back again... as always. Since joining this forum I have been sketching tons. I hope everyone has enjoyed what I've put up and had given me good crits. This next piece is also drawn from memory no photo references, hence the exaggerated proportions.... but I've always wanted to do a sexy executive/secretary type of pic. I decided to use all that I have learned from everyone (and my past experience) to populate the page with as much detail as possible. I hope you like it.... I think that some of the stuff tends to run together... But here you go.

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

Ok.. I know that the book shelf is slanted. The fact that the sketch went into the book's bindings didn't help either. All of this is freehand no rulers. Just eyeballin'... The perspectives of the buildings is off but I'm hoping the girl would take your eyes away from them (for some of you at least). Ok crit away.... I'm working on a new piece. I'll get it up in the next few days.... Until next time. Don't let hylandr2 get all the crits in Everyone else, constructive crits welcomed....
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Hey boss,
    I really like this one. I work in an office and I don't see this often. Anyway on to the miserable crits that everyone hates and everyone needs.

If her legs are crossed, you would see more of her left knee and leg because it would actually be in front of the right one. He right foot looks a little too much like her left one. There are boxes or something in the window, but the perspective on them appears different than the rest of the objects in the pic.

I must say, you are getting much better at drawing from the mind. There's improvement in each new pic you do. Good job.

As a follow up to posting, my last major rending took about 8 hours, which at 1 to 2 hours a day, takes me a while.

See ya man.

Thanks

Tats tats tats..

hylandr2: Hey, thanks for coming by.. Yeah, I work at an office also and I never see anything like this. As for the boxes in the window. Those my feeble attempt at buildings. Again I rushed through this pic. I appreciate your kind words. I have hoped to improve as I go.... I think its nice that you work on your sketches a little at a time. It gives you rest in between so you can come back into it with a fresh perspective. I have checked out your Maidens piece. Great work so far. Just a few things to correct. But everyone has said most of what I've noticed. No sense in saying the same stuff. Keep up the good work. I hope to see more posts from you.

Here is a quick sketch of a tattoo that I've been meaning to do (not on me though). This roughly took me 60 mins. Only because the scales on the dragon was a pain in the ass. Well I hope you all like this. Crit away...

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Uhm, i dig that officegirl
    The legs are very nice dude, but be a bit more carefull about making the arms and wrists to thin maybe.
    The dragon looks fricking cool!
    Keep hitting the paper mate!

Thanks

Girls, guns... uh more girls... more guns

Hey everyone....

fellah: Thanks for visiting again. Yeah her forearms are a bit thin. The bookshelf is leaning.... the buildings are off... That sketch was not put together very well. But I'm glad you liked the dragon tattoo.. I'm hitting the paper everyday now since I've joined. I hope I don't hit it too hard and hurt myself...

Got a simple sketch this time. About 10mins no reference (as you can tell). I thought it might be nice to sketch something that I do well and that is guns... hylandr2 if you see this, it's for you. I remember you liked the guns. So here's something for you to look at while I finish up another larger sketch. It will be posted here soon....

Ok so the hair is messed up and the face is weird, but with no reference I thought I did a pretty good job.... I had some trouble with the right foot though. Well take a look and give me a crit.. Til next time.
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Dark,

Killer work man - your sketches have been inspirational/educational. I like the suble/sparing shading you use. Sometime simple is best, no?

Comments for ya: In the last one, i'm thinking that to get her right arm around to lean on her left leg, she would have to be contorted quite a bit more than is indicated. Thats nitpicking for a 10min sketch tho

Ah, and the dragon tattoo - other than reminding me of a night I had in bangkok (in between candle and ping-pong-ball show), it looks quite flat. I think if it showed a little more curvature here and there it would more convincing.

Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Hey man, nice gun...LOL. You are definitely doing well to try to keep drawing from the mind. That is the basis of "concept art", right. You are right about the foot, it probably won't be in that position. Even though you don't use refs sometimes, there is nothing saying that you can't get down on the floor and sit and see where your foot would be. The only other thing I see is the same issue I just had in a pic, it looks like the hands are a bit too small. Opened up, they should be about 3/4 the head height from wrist to tip of the middle finger. Isn't learning great...

Thanks
    Wuddup bud! Thought I'd check out some stuff and DAMNNNNN!!

K, I got a lot to say and thought about a bunch of smart-ass (but tasteful) comments while I was lookin' at your newest postings, but unfortunately they've escaped from me. Derrr, it happens.

I have to say I love all of your stuff, but the office girl is my fave I think.. You captured the detail well! Nice teddy bear hehe (Don't know if you're going for the "realism" thing or not, but the only thing I thought of is the window stuff.. I can tell that it's supposed to be overlooking the city, but there's no depth, maybe more shading around the window or outside to show difference?). Her ankles look a bit "fluffy" as well. Like marshmellows.. mmm.. I'm hungry.

I'll stop myself before I write a novel, I'll save the rest of it for the next comment.

Hey, I'll definitely whip up another family guy peice for ya!! Who's your fave character?
    Cobi

"If you're nose deep in sh*t, keep your mouth closed."-Henry Fonda

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks

Getting Medevial on yo ass....

Whats goin on, everyone?

superyummy: Hey, about time you came over here to give me hell... I've been tearing up your SB since you started. Nice to see you return the favor. Yeah that 10min sketch is crap. I know no one would possibly be sitting like that and look normal. But thats what I get when I sketch from my head. And as for the tat lady. I got lots of people saying the same thing. Not enough curvature of the body to show the tat. My rendering is often up to what kind of mood I'm in. I used little rendering in the last pic only because I was just messing around with an idea in my head. But as you can see with the tat girl and the one thats underneat all this I was in the mood for details. Well I hope you make this a regular habit. I would like to hear you crit my stuff. I'll be back to check your SB....

hylandr2: Yeah there are many errors to the girl with the gun. But I'm glad you noticed the gun. I like sketching guns, to me they are pieces of art in technology. I don't really like what they can be used for.... And this sketching from the mind stuff is killing me. I don't think I've done this for years now. Every since I've discovered photo references I stopped sketching sketching from memory. I think its time I regained some of the skills before....

Cobi: Hey there you are.... I was wondering what happened to you.. Thanks for coming back. I'm glad you liked the girl in the office. I was hoping that no one would notice the errors and just drool over the girl... but I guess that doesn't work with you....hmmmm. I'll have to find something else to draw... Most of the shading does tend to run together. I'm almost getting to the point that I can get some more degrees of pencils out and still make the pic look right. Well I hope the following pic will redeem that.

Ok... I've been busy putting my effort into the next piece. I go the inspiration for this after watching some Lord of the Rings. I've included some pre-conceptual art as well. You can see the end result is completely different from what I originally drew..

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

So here is the preconceptual stuff. I originally was going to finish the full body sketch. But after looking at it I said to myself "this shit is too plain"... time to kick it up a notch....

Alright now we are getting somewhere. The background was an afterthought. Hey everyone there is a male sketch in my thread... one for the ladies. This is the start of many with no photo references. Well crit away. This is about 2hours worth of rendering and plus corrections probably made it into a 3 hour sketch. Let me know what errors I didn't catch..... I'll be hitting the SB again...
    Last edited by darkchild; June 23rd, 2005 at 04:21 AM.
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey man, you are getting much better at drawing from the mind. Damn the phote refs!!! Any way, I really like this one. One thing to mention though, from working on the maidens rendering I'm doing (which is killing me by the way) I am realizing how important it is to get the light source correct. For example, in this pic the light is coming from the upper right, yet the girl's right horn is totally in shadow, even though there is nothing the cast the shadow. Additionally, the shadow cast on the face of the dude in the back appears to run straight down, even though the lighting on his helmet is from the upper right.

I like how your stuff is progressing. Good job man.

Later.

Thanks

The Bare Witchblade Project

Hey all!!

hylandr2: Thats right damn those photo refs. They just get me to draw way too lazy and with no imagination. Now onto the crits that you have given me. I did this piece with the intention of putting a bit more detail into it. But I wanted to step away from realism a bit and get into more fantasy comic art. Thats why the rendering is done that way. Normally you wouldn't able to see have the details on the armor because of where I chose to place the light. I wanted the dude in the background to look ominous with dark shadows on the face. But again I know it doesn't quite match up to the lighting, but it was intentional. Thanks for the kind words... I hope to hear from you on the next piece. Great work on the Maidens piece from you.

Ok more non photo ref sketches. I know the neck is a bit long, didn't notice it until after scanning. I'll fix that later. So I got lazy and wanted to do my own take on a few well established comic characters... for tonight I will start with this one. I've always like this character design. Very dark in a way yet innocent. But because this comic was aimed at every age level they couldn't sketch her in the true way she was meant to be done. All her pics had the armor strategically placed. But not here and not in my SB!! I didn't take too long on this, maybe 60min. I wanted to sketch a raw Sara Pezzini(aka Witchblade). I hope you all like. Let me know what errors I did. This was also done in a comic style rendering. Don't worry I'll get back to the realism stuff later.

Ok til next time.. I'm working on another comic character now.. Later!
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    That's really cool bud. I really dig the stuff goin' up her arm.

Her body still looks real though, to me. Wow.. weird to say haha. If you're goin for "fantasy/comic" stuff try giving her a massive ribcage and tiny stomach or a big 'ol ghetto booty. YEAH!

Great shading as always.
    Cobi

"If you're nose deep in sh*t, keep your mouth closed."-Henry Fonda

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Page 6 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast