Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice job, but too hard a shadow on his collar bone. Keep edges soft.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah man, nice Lion. And I think all Wolverine needs is some softer edges like on the cheek and trapezius. Really nice lighting, especially for no ref. Keep it up duderino.

Thanks
    Dont be so hard on yourself. I immediately recognized that drawing as Logan. I really like the lion and the racoon. Keep it up. Maybe try and change your process sometimes just to keep yourself on your toes.

Thanks
    Darksteel: Hey thanks for coming back. And, yes I am a huge X-Men fan. Wolverine has been one of my favorite characters. I've drawing him (like many starting artists) and other superheros for a long time. The problem was that I kept on drawing superhero poses and stances, I never focused in on this character like I've done on the last post. This was a no referenced piece. You can see the facial features are a bit off so what did I do?.... Covered him up in some good old fashion shadows. What a cheater I am I may churn out some of the other characters just for practice.

hylandr2: Hey there Thanks for the advice. You're right about that collar bone. It's too separated... ahhh, back to the drawing board. This is what I get for practicing without refs. I'll keep at it!

Andy P: Hi, thanks for visiting again! I kind of wanted harsh lines on his face to give him a meaner look. But I guess it didn't look right. That collar bone as hylandr2 pointed out was a bit too harsh Thanks for the props to the lion. I had a really great time sketching that! I'm going to be breaking it up by drawing more animals and other subjects. Keep watching!

morningbloom915: Hi thanks for the visit again! I gotta be harsh on myself Otherwise I'll think my work looks great and will never progress. No I think I'm like a most artists, in that I need to feel that my work can always benefit with more improvement. There are some out there that think their work is outstanding and won't submit to other criticisms. They don't get very far in there art... or anything else in life. I'm really critical of my work, very evident on page 1 of this SB (I was giving critiques to myself until someone pointed it out to me!). Thank you for the compliment on the Raccoon and Lion. I had surprising fun drawing them I'll change my approach to the different drawings as you suggested. It'll give me a new look on my technique!

Thank you all for looking! Now the following piece is really not one of my best... actually I may consider it mistake. Because of this I decided to do something very different than what you've seen here lately. I wanted to see how much I could mess it up by running it through PS7. I decided to run with the idea of creating a retro styled poster.. I guess you could call it that. Bad art, clashing colors... didn't work either. Well what I came up with is at the end of this post. I don't think there's much salvaging of this piece. The pic is a ref of me holding a gun. I took a shroud off of a light and took a b&w photo of the following pose. I started to pencil this and it just didn't look right. I have cleaned up the scratchiness on some of the lit areas. Anyways I'll return you to the regularly scheduled programming tomorrow, in the meantime sorry for the aweful pic #92:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    #630 OMG scary smile, she has 15 rows of teeth! JK, it doesn't look right though. Also the way the skin stretches doesn't seem right but it could be the teeth throwing off the entire face.

#634 is awesome DC, I want to play with her... and I don't mean tennis!

Tiger classic, lion good, not sure about the black splotch below his eye tho... it attracted my attention as a defect when looking at that drawing.

Wolverine is cool too.

The colors in the last one, neat, I like it.

Thanks
    n1va: Hey thanks for the visit!! I agree with you on that point. But (no offense if she is reading this) the photo is exactly like what I've drawn. That was the amount of teeth that was showing. If I find a digital copy of it I'll post it. I'm sure she won't mind, it was a public photo anyways. Appreciate the comments. Good luck with your next piece. I see you steadily improving, keep on going with it!

Ok enought with the crappy pieces. Here's a semi decent one. Again something different to break the monotony of portraits. The original photo was a very interesting study. The details that it caught was a amazing, but focus was on the petals and not the leaves (which was blurred in the background) so I made some up. This one is dedicated to the ladies! (I'm still single btw *puts on some Marvin Gaye*) #93:

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    DC, watch that shadow. There should be a shadow accent right where the pedal is touching the ground. It will make it look like it has weight. Again, soften the cast shadow accent. Get rid of that hard line! Watch the stem shasow. The way it is rendered, it appears like it is on a mirror. If it is supposed to be on a mirror, the big leaves don't look mirrored.

Thanks
    hylandr2: Thanks for looking. I see what you mean about the mirror effect on the stem. I didn't do the shadow too well did I.... I was more focused on the largest petal where the veins was showing. That was the hook for me. The photo was so concentrated on the flower that the leaves and stem was blurred out. I'll do better next time

Well one more before the weekend. I plan to do exactly the same thing I did last weekend.... thats pretty sad. Anyways, here's a very interesting photo ref of a butterfly on a flower... don't worry I'm not going all pansy on everyone! Very nice shapes and interesting lighting coming off the petals. The catch point for me was the overall balance of the subjects. Alright everyone have a great weekend, see you on Monday! My sissy drawing, #94:

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    I like butterflies. Does anyone have a problem with that?

I like this one as well. Nice work.

Take a jump to my painting thread if you get a chance.

Thanks
    Hey,

good update! Your tones are getting much much better! Your progression is huge! I like the contrast between the white flower and the darkened centre. Good job!

Keep this up!

Qxzi

Thanks
    DC #658 is awesome, that's one of your best thusfar.

Sorry if I offended someone with my comment about the earlier drawing.

Thanks
    This one is dedicated to the ladies! (I'm still single btw *puts on some Marvin Gaye*)

I'll vouch for this!

so back to the topic have you been using the contrast again?

Thanks
    A big smiley face to N1va for knocking me into the 12th page!!!!!

hylandr2: Hey thanks for the kudos! I've been trying to break up the monotony of this thread a bit by expanding my subjects. I'm happy that you like this

Qxzi: Thanks for the visit and your comments!! That is precisely why I chose this pic as an exercise. There was so much tone in the ref. Had a lot of fun drawing this!

n1va: Thanks for the thumbs up!! I don't know if you offended her, I haven't heard. But I'll assume not. No worries, this is a place of critiques and opinions. I sketched the subject like I saw and you critiqued it as you saw. No harm done.

keroppie: Thanks for visiting! Not too sure how to answer your question.....? But the tone of the rose was interesting. It was a definite one point lighting. What got me was the veins in the petal. Had to sketch this one!

Alright, sorry I haven't posted in 3 weeks. My schedule was a bit sporadic. I was asked to work graveyard a couple times. Then back to evenings... and as of last night I'm back on graveyard until this weekend. I was running out of steam so I chose this opportunity to wind down a bit and rest. I've done no sketching whatsoever. I'll be posting frequently again. But I'll leave you with this today. Not a great sketch but I wanted to see how I would do on proportions with two subjects in the same area. Didn't really finish. #95:

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2