Sketchbook: !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice composition. A couple things I see. Dude, her boobs are glowing??? With the light source behind her, her torso should be dark. If the sheer type fabric is a lighter color, you should see more of the fold details. Also, it appears that she is sitting under the window, by there is no indication that there is anything underneath her. There should be some slith value change in my opinion. Keep em coming!

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pulp Fiction meets Hooters!

Dude... I'm lovin' it...

You're great

I love the water backgrounds you've done. Can you teach me how to draw in pencil? hehe!

Cobi

"If you're nose deep in sh*t, keep your mouth closed."-Henry Fonda

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...The Darkchild Strikes Back....

Hey all.... F***ing awesome!! I'm already on page 2!!! Yeah, Bring it on!!!!

hylandr2: What... you've never seen glowing boobs before?? Yeah I know, I put that into my own crit under the sketch. I didn't spend too much time doing that one. I just tend to hurry through sometimes, especially if I got another idea in my head to draw. Which you will see below.

Cobi: That is a very nice praise. I would teach you if I thought I was any good at it. Most of my sketches consist of heavy rendering. I'm trying a few different techniques now. Trying to mix in the best stuff to get the desired effect. If you like I will post some progressive sketches.

Ok, I suddenly got this great idea to do a Star Wars conceptual art. This as raw as I get. I've included some pre-conceptual art as well. The drawing was very light and I had to do a bit more in PS to get it to show up properly. I hope you all like this. This piece would be my Jedi Babe. But as always crits crits crits.

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

All the above is preconceptual art. This is what my mind is thinking before I head for the final concept. Pretty raw stuff. All sketched with a 6h pencil. Barely registers on the scanner. I don't normally post this stuff up but I thought you all would be interested in seeing it. If not let me know....

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

I know this is a bit odd for me to be doing. Since most the women in my sketches are a bit underdressed. But I hoped to do something a tad different. This time there was no photo reference, just my mind working (what a scary thought). I tried to put a bit of background into this piece.

My crits: I tried to capture the light coming off the lightsaber. Wasn't too successfull. My scanner is too small to get the entire page, sorry... I know real Jedi's don't wear heels, but hey, this is my fantasy The hand holding the lightsaber could have been done better. A bit more rendering on the face also.

Well let me know your thoughts. Keep coming back everyone. I'll be posting more stuff up.

Last edited by darkchild; June 13th, 2005 at 04:46 AM.
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you have a solid conceptual process mapped here. The flow of the cape seems very fluid and natural to me. No crits here. Maybe the more experienced could toss some your way, but none from me today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...Ninjas are cool.....

Whats up everyone? Back again with a fresh one off the ol' SB. But first....

hylandr2: Yo man... whats up? Thanks for coming back and commenting. NO CRIT??? Damn, I did that good of a job this time. Awesome... another round of beers!! But hey I'm sure you have something to say about the next...

What happened to everyone? Am I just sketching too fast? My crits are getting few and far between. Ok well this is what I have, I've always been a huge fan of the X-Men. Lots of favorite characters there. I started to really get into it when Jim Lee was the main penciler. But I was very dissappointed when the movie came out and was missing a few key characters... especially Psylocke. I'm mean WTF? She would be awesome jumping around kicking ass and psi-blading those into submission. So this is my tribute to her character. I wanted to draw my own version of her, but I decided to stay true to her original costume (I hope this was it, because it's my favorite to see her in). I was going to put a huge dragon tattoo going up the side of her leg and wrapping up her waist and ending at her left shoulder. But I may do that as a variant to this sketch. Ok enough ramblin'...

Ok before I begin to crit her. I sketched her from memory. No photo reference again for this pic. You could aways tell which sketches are from photos and which are not. I gotta get better (with your help of course) to the point that when I sketch you all don't know if it's from a photo or not.

Here she is. MMMMMMM....... Ok wel my crits first: I just noticed that I forgot to place the shadow for her hand holding the sword. I know the light is long and projected. In fact if I didn't want to show off the wood flooring I was gonna crop most of it off. But I decided to scan the entire thing. The next crit is that I wanted keep dark shadows behind her but without killing lots of the details. But the leg seems to blend into the rendering. I guess I can't have it both ways. I didn't want to show a face this time to give a feeling of her waiting for something to happen(if that sentence made any sense). The katana is on the short side. The sash around her waist could've been slightly darker towards her back. It looked darker on the original. Her right foot is not quite right. In fact now that I look at it... it's horrible. That looks like a giant retarded jelly bean stuck to her ass.... Oh man.....

Alright let me have it people.. CRITS please.... I'll be back here hacking out some more stuff. Later...

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry if I'm stopping by an aweful lot. I like your stuff and it makes me want to try some new things. One question, I notice you critique yourself alot. Do you notice these things after you are finished, because you could try to resolve some of them before you post the pic. Just a thought. As for a crit, yes her back side should be darker. You can make it darker without losing detail, but you would need to added some reflected lighting. Illuminate from the back but to a much less degree. Her right arm is not right. The deltoid area would be more defined and less of the tricept would be shown. The elbow area doesn't appear to be connect quite right for how her arm is sitting. I also think her head is about 5% too big. I noticed that it is part of your style to have a womans body be relatively thin and petite, but for Psylocke, especially if you are thinking Jim Lee Psylock, she wasn't that petite. I also go into X-Men in the early nineties...It is a good piece from memory. I too am working toward being able to draw without any reference. You are a couple steps ahead of me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My kind of co worker

Whats up y'all..

hylandr2: Hey dude.. You can stop by and comment as much as you like (as long as it's constructive). I like it when I know people have taken the time to look and comment. Makes my work feel appreciated. Actually I subscribe to your thread and I don't get that many emails of updates on your pics I need to see some more stuff from you. You're getting really good at rendering. I like the progression from your first post. To answer your questions: Yes I do crit myself (sometimes harshly). The reason I do that is because it forces me move from one piece to the next hoping to make less mistakes. I actually mull over my work for a few minutes correcting stuff as I go. But if I keep dwellin on perfection I'll never move on to creating a new sketch. So my stuff is a little "rushed" if you want. I just want to crit my sketch as much as I want everyone to. Thanks for your crits. You're right her heads too big. Almost bobble head proportions. Good eye on the delts. Yeah my anatomy still off despite all that I've done. I do ok when there is a photo... but can't draw like that forever And thanks for the kind words... I'm glad you enjoy my stuff... I'll keep putting stuff out.. Now onto my next piece.

Alright back again... as always. Since joining this forum I have been sketching tons. I hope everyone has enjoyed what I've put up and had given me good crits. This next piece is also drawn from memory no photo references, hence the exaggerated proportions.... but I've always wanted to do a sexy executive/secretary type of pic. I decided to use all that I have learned from everyone (and my past experience) to populate the page with as much detail as possible. I hope you like it.... I think that some of the stuff tends to run together... But here you go.

Ok.. I know that the book shelf is slanted. The fact that the sketch went into the book's bindings didn't help either. All of this is freehand no rulers. Just eyeballin'... The perspectives of the buildings is off but I'm hoping the girl would take your eyes away from them (for some of you at least). Ok crit away.... I'm working on a new piece. I'll get it up in the next few days.... Until next time. Don't let hylandr2 get all the crits in Everyone else, constructive crits welcomed....

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey boss,
    I really like this one. I work in an office and I don't see this often. Anyway on to the miserable crits that everyone hates and everyone needs.

If her legs are crossed, you would see more of her left knee and leg because it would actually be in front of the right one. He right foot looks a little too much like her left one. There are boxes or something in the window, but the perspective on them appears different than the rest of the objects in the pic.

I must say, you are getting much better at drawing from the mind. There's improvement in each new pic you do. Good job.

As a follow up to posting, my last major rending took about 8 hours, which at 1 to 2 hours a day, takes me a while.

See ya man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tats tats tats..

hylandr2: Hey, thanks for coming by.. Yeah, I work at an office also and I never see anything like this. As for the boxes in the window. Those my feeble attempt at buildings. Again I rushed through this pic. I appreciate your kind words. I have hoped to improve as I go.... I think its nice that you work on your sketches a little at a time. It gives you rest in between so you can come back into it with a fresh perspective. I have checked out your Maidens piece. Great work so far. Just a few things to correct. But everyone has said most of what I've noticed. No sense in saying the same stuff. Keep up the good work. I hope to see more posts from you.

Here is a quick sketch of a tattoo that I've been meaning to do (not on me though). This roughly took me 60 mins. Only because the scales on the dragon was a pain in the ass. Well I hope you all like this. Crit away...

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm, i dig that officegirl
    The legs are very nice dude, but be a bit more carefull about making the arms and wrists to thin maybe.
    The dragon looks fricking cool!
    Keep hitting the paper mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Girls, guns... uh more girls... more guns

Hey everyone....

fellah: Thanks for visiting again. Yeah her forearms are a bit thin. The bookshelf is leaning.... the buildings are off... That sketch was not put together very well. But I'm glad you liked the dragon tattoo.. I'm hitting the paper everyday now since I've joined. I hope I don't hit it too hard and hurt myself...

Got a simple sketch this time. About 10mins no reference (as you can tell). I thought it might be nice to sketch something that I do well and that is guns... hylandr2 if you see this, it's for you. I remember you liked the guns. So here's something for you to look at while I finish up another larger sketch. It will be posted here soon....

Ok so the hair is messed up and the face is weird, but with no reference I thought I did a pretty good job.... I had some trouble with the right foot though. Well take a look and give me a crit.. Til next time.

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dark,

Killer work man - your sketches have been inspirational/educational. I like the suble/sparing shading you use. Sometime simple is best, no?

Comments for ya: In the last one, i'm thinking that to get her right arm around to lean on her left leg, she would have to be contorted quite a bit more than is indicated. Thats nitpicking for a 10min sketch tho

Ah, and the dragon tattoo - other than reminding me of a night I had in bangkok (in between candle and ping-pong-ball show), it looks quite flat. I think if it showed a little more curvature here and there it would more convincing.

Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice gun...LOL. You are definitely doing well to try to keep drawing from the mind. That is the basis of "concept art", right. You are right about the foot, it probably won't be in that position. Even though you don't use refs sometimes, there is nothing saying that you can't get down on the floor and sit and see where your foot would be. The only other thing I see is the same issue I just had in a pic, it looks like the hands are a bit too small. Opened up, they should be about 3/4 the head height from wrist to tip of the middle finger. Isn't learning great...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wuddup bud! Thought I'd check out some stuff and DAMNNNNN!!

K, I got a lot to say and thought about a bunch of smart-ass (but tasteful) comments while I was lookin' at your newest postings, but unfortunately they've escaped from me. Derrr, it happens.

I have to say I love all of your stuff, but the office girl is my fave I think.. You captured the detail well! Nice teddy bear hehe (Don't know if you're going for the "realism" thing or not, but the only thing I thought of is the window stuff.. I can tell that it's supposed to be overlooking the city, but there's no depth, maybe more shading around the window or outside to show difference?). Her ankles look a bit "fluffy" as well. Like marshmellows.. mmm.. I'm hungry.

I'll stop myself before I write a novel, I'll save the rest of it for the next comment.

Hey, I'll definitely whip up another family guy peice for ya!! Who's your fave character?

Cobi

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting Medevial on yo ass....

Whats goin on, everyone?

superyummy: Hey, about time you came over here to give me hell... I've been tearing up your SB since you started. Nice to see you return the favor. Yeah that 10min sketch is crap. I know no one would possibly be sitting like that and look normal. But thats what I get when I sketch from my head. And as for the tat lady. I got lots of people saying the same thing. Not enough curvature of the body to show the tat. My rendering is often up to what kind of mood I'm in. I used little rendering in the last pic only because I was just messing around with an idea in my head. But as you can see with the tat girl and the one thats underneat all this I was in the mood for details. Well I hope you make this a regular habit. I would like to hear you crit my stuff. I'll be back to check your SB....

hylandr2: Yeah there are many errors to the girl with the gun. But I'm glad you noticed the gun. I like sketching guns, to me they are pieces of art in technology. I don't really like what they can be used for.... And this sketching from the mind stuff is killing me. I don't think I've done this for years now. Every since I've discovered photo references I stopped sketching sketching from memory. I think its time I regained some of the skills before....

Cobi: Hey there you are.... I was wondering what happened to you.. Thanks for coming back. I'm glad you liked the girl in the office. I was hoping that no one would notice the errors and just drool over the girl... but I guess that doesn't work with you....hmmmm. I'll have to find something else to draw... Most of the shading does tend to run together. I'm almost getting to the point that I can get some more degrees of pencils out and still make the pic look right. Well I hope the following pic will redeem that.

Ok... I've been busy putting my effort into the next piece. I go the inspiration for this after watching some Lord of the Rings. I've included some pre-conceptual art as well. You can see the end result is completely different from what I originally drew..

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

So here is the preconceptual stuff. I originally was going to finish the full body sketch. But after looking at it I said to myself "this shit is too plain"... time to kick it up a notch....

Alright now we are getting somewhere. The background was an afterthought. Hey everyone there is a male sketch in my thread... one for the ladies. This is the start of many with no photo references. Well crit away. This is about 2hours worth of rendering and plus corrections probably made it into a 3 hour sketch. Let me know what errors I didn't catch..... I'll be hitting the SB again...

Last edited by darkchild; June 23rd, 2005 at 04:21 AM.
    !darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you are getting much better at drawing from the mind. Damn the phote refs!!! Any way, I really like this one. One thing to mention though, from working on the maidens rendering I'm doing (which is killing me by the way) I am realizing how important it is to get the light source correct. For example, in this pic the light is coming from the upper right, yet the girl's right horn is totally in shadow, even though there is nothing the cast the shadow. Additionally, the shadow cast on the face of the dude in the back appears to run straight down, even though the lighting on his helmet is from the upper right.

I like how your stuff is progressing. Good job man.

Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Bare Witchblade Project

Hey all!!

hylandr2: Thats right damn those photo refs. They just get me to draw way too lazy and with no imagination. Now onto the crits that you have given me. I did this piece with the intention of putting a bit more detail into it. But I wanted to step away from realism a bit and get into more fantasy comic art. Thats why the rendering is done that way. Normally you wouldn't able to see have the details on the armor because of where I chose to place the light. I wanted the dude in the background to look ominous with dark shadows on the face. But again I know it doesn't quite match up to the lighting, but it was intentional. Thanks for the kind words... I hope to hear from you on the next piece. Great work on the Maidens piece from you.

Ok more non photo ref sketches. I know the neck is a bit long, didn't notice it until after scanning. I'll fix that later. So I got lazy and wanted to do my own take on a few well established comic characters... for tonight I will start with this one. I've always like this character design. Very dark in a way yet innocent. But because this comic was aimed at every age level they couldn't sketch her in the true way she was meant to be done. All her pics had the armor strategically placed. But not here and not in my SB!! I didn't take too long on this, maybe 60min. I wanted to sketch a raw Sara Pezzini(aka Witchblade). I hope you all like. Let me know what errors I did. This was also done in a comic style rendering. Don't worry I'll get back to the realism stuff later.

Ok til next time.. I'm working on another comic character now.. Later!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's really cool bud. I really dig the stuff goin' up her arm.

Her body still looks real though, to me. Wow.. weird to say haha. If you're goin for "fantasy/comic" stuff try giving her a massive ribcage and tiny stomach or a big 'ol ghetto booty. YEAH!

Great shading as always.

Cobi

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Come on baby raid my tomb.... oh yeah thats the stuff:)

Back again...

Cobi: Hey thanks for checking out my stuff again. Yeah I actually put a normal body on her. I loved the comic but it was pretty short run. Actually on page 1, the drawing of Vida Guerra, thats an example of a ghetto-booty. Thanks for the kind words on the shading. I'm getting a bit lazier with the rendering. But My next piece will be better

Well here's a girl that needs no intro... You all know who she is. Well this is my take on the character. Feel free to crit the sketch. I know I did plenty of errors on this. I literally rushed through this one. I have another great idea for a sketch. See you all later...

...here ya go hylandr2 another gratuitous gun pic....

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DC, just so you know, I'm not firearm obsessed, I just drew one for my sketch book and thought your was good as well. I'm not an NRA member or anything...LOL. I see you went with the Image chicks here. Lara looks good. There is some anatomy issues here. I think her eyes are a little too far up on her head....just a tad. Also, her forearms are a little long. The elbow to wrist should be about one head height and the should to elbow should be a bit longer than head height. The mid-drift is a bit dark considering your light source. It is as dark as her leg, even though her leg is in full shadow. Good body positioning for the character. I like it.

Got any Aspen pics in that pad?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you finished the nekkid girl there has got to be a way this page will load quicker /cough.

oh wait.. i see more nekkid people now i was talking about the tat girl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...any likeness portrayed herein are purely coincidental...

Whats up all!

hylandr2: Yeah dude, I got real lazy with the lara pic. I don't know why. I suddenly wanted to finish her and move on. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like you were gun obsessed. Actually I love the way firearms look as a piece of art. No Aspen in the SB.... yet. But good suggestion. I'll find a way to work her in.

keroppie: Hey there. You probably need DSL or something. Maybe a full blown T1 would get this site to load faster. Yep no end to the nekkid ladies in here. But tastefully done.... Keep on checking periodically.

Alright this next one is special. I have been given permission to sketch and post this. This is a portrait of Cobi. I'm sure some of you know her, she's a member of the forum and goes by the username of...uh... Cobi. Anyways crits always welcome. I'm sure she looks more beautiful in real life. The pic was very small so I filled in the details as best I could. Alright til next time....

Here is the ref photo I used. This was enlarged a bit.

...and here is my version....

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey that's me!

I'm almost done with my little project. Sketched it out today but been busy packing / doing laundry for a trip! I leave Friday.

Love the shading as always!

Cobi

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Must...control Fist of...DEATH!!

Hey all!! Happy 4th to everyone!! Time to light some stuff on fire (while still being safe).

Cobi: I'm glad you like the sketch. I hope you have a fun trip. Checkout Hylandr's SB he did a good take on your portrait.

Ok I know I haven't posted for a while. I've been commisioned to redo a menu for a smoothie shop. Been busy. I guess that would be my first freelance project. I have been watching a lot of movies lately also. Among them are good ol' choppy sock films (insert Bruce Lee's yell here). I have always been a fan of martial arts. In fact I practiced 7 years of kickboxing myself. I've also been messing around with PS. I might post some pics of me weilding a lightsaber. I know it's been done to death, but it's still fun.

Well here are two sketches that I've done. Nothing special. The second was a really rough sketch. Thought I draw something a bit different for a change. I'll be posting my usual stuff soon. Later.

!Darkchild! - Back for a limited time !Darkchild! - Back for a limited time

Here ya go. I'll be posting soon again. Already rendering another pinup (aka another nekkid lady)

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I like the action poses on the chinese chicks. Good body positioning. One thing is that I think you would see more ass on the front girl. Her left buttocks looks a bit small.

I saw your crit on the Cobi pic. I agree, the nose was crooked. I fixed. On yours, it looks good. My one thoughts was that her jaw line looks a little more rounded than it should be making her face look a bit heavy than it appears in her pics. The jaw bone is actually relatively straight, unless fat deposits round the area. Take another look and you'll see what I'm taking about. What type of pencils do you use, because often you get a sepia look rather than a strict black\white\gray look?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...Let's get it on.... OOOOOOH Girl...

What up everyone!!

hylandr2: Hey dude! Thanks for hittin up my SB again. About that jawline on Cobi, yeah I saw that. I bowed the jaw out just a tad too much. I've got a long ways to perfecting my art skills. Good catch on that. I think you did a great job on her portrait as well.

Ok well I'm back to my old habits again. Another pinup. Thought I try a slightly different pose. The angle of the head gave me some slight problems but nothing like some hair to cover up the mistakes Actually she has a lot of hair. This was sketched with a photo ref. I changed the face and hair a bit. I started to sketch another babe in the background but I got another idea for and dropped this one. I may go back and pencil the rest of her. Anyways let me know what you think. Later!

...ah yes back to the women.....

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo...its funny that you mentioned the problem with the head rotation as I was just studying that last night. "Abra" suggested to me to pickup a book and study it. It is "Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth". It is really good. I picked it up on ebay.half.com for $1.95. I suggest looking at picking it up. I has awesome musculature studies and proportional charts and stuff. Get it man. I'm tearing through it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all...

hylandr2: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the book So when are you gonna get another sketch up? Keep them coming...

Nothing special... Just a couple of sketches....

Photo ref on this one. I was trying to capture a closeup rather than a whole body like I'm usually sketching. Not too much rendering on this piece.

No ref on this one. Just a fun quick sketch. Still got a ways to go on my wings. I haven't done a dark rendering in a while. Well as always leave me your comments... Later!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man great to see all your girls again. I have missed a lot of them sorry about that. Its lame to be busy sometimes. You are getting good crits here, thats cool. I see a lot of progress man! Maybe have some more variations in your lines, make some of them really fat, dark and soft, soft, soft and some of them almost invisible (like the albue of the girl whit the tatoo over her butt). Give a good feeling of highlight and adds some mystery to the girl. You are doing it a bit with the winged girl and it looks really nice. Nice highlight on the shoulder and i dig the outline under her breast. Doing outlines like that shows that you are the one calling the shots and not the drawing(made sence?)I almost cant crit the winged girl ( i really dig the mood of it), but maybe the dark breast could need a bit softning up - it has a very straight line under it, one breast is relaxing and the other is jumping,(if i had breast i would make them jump all day hehe). Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And where have you been for 5 days. LOL. I have some studies I'll be putting up shortly.

Anyway, good job on the first girl. Not much to crit on that one. I like the winged girl, but again, the lighting is an issue. The light source appears to be overhead. The arm is throwing me off. I think you need a little more lighting hitting the top of the right breast and the right arm appears to be lit from the front. Picture your cyliner when lit from above. Otherwise, it is good so far. I'd like to see where you go with it.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3