Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

The EPISODE 3 THREAD.

Well if there isn't one already, I've checked, this could be it.

I just came back from it about an hour ago. All I can say is, the movie ties in everything. The ending almost sends you begging for the DVD collection of the original trilogy. In fact I really feel like watching it right now.

No one was powerful enough to face Sidious. Not even Yoda.

I don't think there's any point in shouting **spoilers ahead** coz if you don't know the story by now, then you'll hear it all of the place in the next 48 hours.

Order 66 was....not fun to watch.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the motherfucking SITH...

fuck those jedi

we got death star

Thanks
    I don't think I could have been more disappointed in this movie......It had everything I wanted ....but none of it was delivered with the class I had hoped for.....it was all so mediocre. Those who wanted an abundance of eye candy you will be pleased greatly....but those who wanted a mature, convincing, and intelligent resolve to the question of what transpired to get Anakin, Obi-wan, Palpatine, and Yoda to the point we were all introduced to them at, I believe you may be as disappointed as I was. I hope not.

Did anyone else notice the lack of original star wars theme music throughout the movie?
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    yep,order 66 was indeed unpleasant.
    and although sidious managed to defeat everyone he seemed total weakling to me. the strange face he made when showing his teeth...it made him look totally weak somehow.
    some scenes were cut extremely bad.the story left me with a feeling that something was missing....and they killed griveous(sp?) far too fast.
    hayden christensen though managed to convince me of his character in some scenes.most of all when portraying how he's holding back his anger.
    the scenes in the beginning had abit too much humour.like they wanted to compensate for the whole film.the robots had helium voices and seemed too human.darth vader screaming(end) was extremely cheesy.unlogic considering the lava-when he stands slightly above he is fine but when lying there he begins to burn?and they confused me with anakin's fast turnover.
    but it really leaves you with an urge to watch the original trilogy.
    oh and the designs were extremely badass.total eyecandy.

edit:yes semaj did.only in the end they had the real deal-with uniforms and everything too.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Right now im undecided if i liked this movie or not, just got back 20 mins ago from it. For now i would say, i am dissapointed in a way. Great action/eye candy, but not how i wanted it to be, i donno, something is bothering me about it just cant figure it out yet...

Thanks
    Loved it. This is what I've been waiting for and Lucas totally delivered.

Not flawless, but still perfect.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    but those who wanted a mature, convincing, and intelligent resolve to the question of what transpired to get Anakin, Obi-wan, Palpatine, and Yoda to the point we were all introduced to them at, I believe you may be as disappointed as I was. I hope not.
    Why would Lucas in his life give that specific stylization to an age group between 9 and 13 years old. I hate to break it to you fan boys but like the Jedi we need to learn to let go of episodes 4/5/6 dialogue styles and matured character interactions.

If you were between those age groups I promise you that the film was delivered in a mature, convincing, and intellegent manner.

Lucas is no longer writing for us Semaj, he is writing for our little brothers and sisters which from what I heard in leaving the theatre tonight could not believe how awesome it was. (their words, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    he scenes in the beginning had abit too much humour.like they wanted to compensate for the whole film.the robots had helium voices and seemed too human.darth vader screaming(end) was extremely cheesy.
    Could not agree with you more Carni, the opening sequence of the capital ships etc was incredible, nothing like that has been done before. What I really wanted though was a straight out classic fighter scene with crazy banks, more missles and less FRIGGN BUZZ DROIDS!!! Those little marvels destroyed any suspence and anticipation of Anakin and OW making it to that capital ship. I know that we have to set up Anakin's saving OW and not leaving him behind passion but com'on it happens after the battle with Dooku anyway.

unlogic considering the lava-when he stands slightly above he is fine but when lying there he begins to burn?
    I think there could be two reasons for this, I believe it was his clothes catching fire not his flesh. 2, Anakin losing about 30% of his body probably is in shock and can't use the force to protect himself from the insane heat, OW being fully intact shouldn't be able to be that close to the lava either which leads one to believe the force is protecting them.

It seemed to me that many of the scenes were cut much too short, Hayden in all honesty really bumped up his acting in this film compared to AOTC. Portman again as always was consistant but I really felt that their scenes were cut too short. Actually, many of the scenes could have been longer. In terms of the actual cuts I think that the wipes were great in some cases but checkerboard wipes!!! COME ON!!! Diamond wipes!! In the words of Vader "NooOoOoOooOo". I won't even get into that scene, it just hurts, it could not have been worse. Not to mention the shot of the helmet being placed on on looked like something out of a Lexus commercial. That shot was so out of place.

I would also like to know how many times you can show a ship taking off and landing, there were more ships comming and going than there were dialogue scenes and that to me is a huge problem in this film as well as AOTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Did anyone else notice the lack of original star wars theme music throughout the movie?
    But most of the original SW themes are the the imperial march (as well as variations on it) the Jedi Theme, Vader's theme and the Opening and Closing credits. I think it would have been out of place to use any of that before ep 4/5/6 before Vader or the empire have been created.

I personally can't get over how much better this film looked compared to AOTC, it is as if they pulled off the plastic wrap from everything. One place I especially noticed it was in Nute Gunray's MS, his eyes, skin, everything were so much more detailed and rich to the point where he looked sickly and decaying. Loved, LOVED every shot of this film in terms of color, contrast and CONCEPT DESIGN. You said it first Carni, pure eye candy.

The biggest question I have after leaving this film, is why, on earth or any other planet is Anakin not using a red light saber after he has become Darth Vader? I was thinking that it might be because he is not a master but Maul has the red beams in TPM.

I wanted so badly for when OW turns on his saber and gives his stance then Vader flash on that beam of red, it would have been a great shot to see the look on OW's face just before they fight.

Fav moment of the movie HAS to be when Yoda walks into Palp's room, the two red guards go to move and he just crushes them against the wall with hardly a move. The theatre lit up on that one.

And Okelvin is right, it is not flawless by any means but it was perfect in many many ways.
    Last edited by Presence; May 19th, 2005 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks
    unlogic considering the lava-when he stands slightly above he is fine but when lying there he begins to burn?
    Logical. Place any fabric above heating coil and it will burn when it reaches its combustible temperature. It doesn't have to be on the heating coil. The lava is hot enough to BBQ flesh even if you're not on it.

Fav moment of the movie HAS to be when Yoda walks into Palp's room, the two red guards go to move and he just crushes them against the wall with hardly a move. The theatre lit up on that one.
    Yep, same happened in the theatre I was in. But I didn't laugh...couldn't...was just a show of what Yoda has hidden in his little frame for so long.

Thanks
    i know that things begin to burn because of the hotness evading from the lava,but what was unlogical was that he was standing about 1/2 meter above the lava and didn't start to burn,and when he was lying approx.1 meter away from it he started to burn.
    the scene with yoda entering palp's room got the whole cinema to burst into laughs.aswell as that "r2 is gonna be here any second"..."weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". but as i said those "fun" scenes in the beginning were abit too much. and i would aswell have preferred it if they had left out those stupid spider robots and had made our two jedis come onboard the ship immediately -after obiwan has been hit by a beam of course.
    and yes,most of the scenes were cut to short or badly. f.ex. when anakin goes killing the "seperatists" and then they cut to the conversation between obiwan and padme,and then cut back to anakin killing the last one,only to cut back to obiwan and padme.that made no sense.why not leave the killing scene as a whole, and the conversation scene as a whole?
    and i can't rant enough on how fast anakin suddenly turned over to the dark side.5 minutes before(in film) he is totally in shock over palpatine and then suddenly he says "i will do all you want".another thing that made no sense.
    and as i said they should have kept grievous longer in the film. i mean the guy has four lightsabers,four and then obi with his one cuts off the guy's hands and kills him with a friggin blaster! it would've been much cooler if they had left him in and made him compete against anakin.
    that planet with the giant flowers looked totally stupid aswell.
    and yes,it would've been cool if anakin had had a red saber like presence described.
    so all in all,it was abit mediocre,as semaj said.they could have done many things better,many.
    ok,end rant now.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    I think that it is kind of a time consuming process to make a new lightsaber and aside from that, the blue lightsaber ties into the one that Obi-Wan gives to Luke in Episode 4.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    how about palpatine gave him one as sign that he's a true sith now?
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    I actually fell asleep during it, i have no idea what the story was about. It suppose it was good because I had the best nap ever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Some_Guy
    I think that it is kind of a time consuming process to make a new lightsaber and aside from that, the blue lightsaber ties into the one that Obi-Wan gives to Luke in Episode 4.
    BINGO. ObiWan gave luke a blue saber which belonged to Anakin. Luke lost the saber and hand in Empire Strikes Back in Bespin city, then makes his own which was a green one in ROTJ.

Search your feelings...you know it to be true.

Thanks
    well,i gotta watch the original trilogy again...it's been a decade since i saw it last i think.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    That was hands down one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. While watching it I constantly found myself thinking, "Oh don't say,... oh jesus you did, please don't reply with.... HOLY HELL why did you have to... I mean the only thing worse you could say would be..... ah crap..."

If you enjoyed the Goosebumps series of books this may be a little below your vocabulary. My hats off to all the digital artists who saved this movie from Lucas. Yoda and Greivous (however you spell it) were fantastically acted. It's funny that the completely digital characters showed more emotion and delivered their lines better than the live action folk.

I think what may have made the original trilogy better was the fact that they A) had better actors and B) Lucas' ego had not yet inflated and probably took a lot of advice to heart that his team gave him. Seeing as he wasn't so rich he also had to make sure each shot counted.

I mean, Lucas Forced Himself To Write It. If it weren't for the absolutely insane visuals I would have walked out of this movie.

This movie made Vader seem like a pansy. "Wanna join the Dark Side?" "Umm... well... yeah that's cool" "Really?" "Yeah, sure." "Well that was easier than I thought, I'll call you Darth Vader." "Can I call you master?" "Oh, I guess you should." "Sweet." "Sweet."

Oh and the whole NNNNnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!! line... how cliche and lame.

Makes me want to go break all my Star Wars toys.

-C.Squirrel

Thanks
    I thought it was rather splendid.

Clunky in places but overall the first prequel on a par with the originals.
    /gets into flameproof suit.

-Steve

Thanks
    I was all excited again...
    Enjoyed every min...

Thanks
    Star Wars isn't supposed to be some kind of literary masterpiece like everyone wants it to be, though I admit I was pissed off at most of the dialogue. Anakin and Padme should be banned from talking romantically.

But from a visual point of view, I have been amazed. The opening sequence in Coruscant was just breathtaking. The environments and everything was just..amazing. It truly was eye candy. I'd go see it again just for the visuals.

I think Mace Windu might've been able to kill Sidious. That begs the question if he was more powerful than Yoda or not. Windu's death scene was a disgrace. Order 66 wasn't pretty but I found that when they killed that blue girl, it was so fucking hilarious. They're just shooting at her and there's not a single mark on her body. And they keep shooting! Freakin' gold!

Holy shit, you too? The audience was clapping and everything. Same thing as to when Yoda just slices the heads offa those troopers in Kashyyk. Gotta love the little guy.

I loved how Anakin got toasted. It was sad, but he deserved it. I must have the original trilogy now T_T

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    Heh, happened here too.

Yoda-Fu rocks.

Thanks
    It was so full of awesome designs, that I didn't really mind Hayden Christensens extremely poor performance.. but I was happy when he burned, then I knew that I wouldn't have to look at him for the rest of the film. The love story was unbelievably unbelievable too, there were no chemistry at all between Anakin and Padme (who spent the entire film at home being pregnant... nice character develoment, Lucas, from strong polititian-princess to pregnant idiot "who lost the will to live" bullshit.)

With that said. The art department and CG folks saved this move, may the force be with them.

Thanks
    I already typed this up on a Star Wars site, so I'll just copy-and-paste the thing:

As far as the symbolism goes, did any of you guys watch Clone Wars? Anakin is really developed in that series as a good man who cannot face his own inner darkness. Padme was symbolic of Anakin's good ness, which he tries to protect..with his own evil. The two clash, and when Anakin chooses to ignore his inner good wheh it tells him that it is wrong to use his evil in this way (when Padme told him this shortly before the showdown) he refuses to listen, because he cannot face his own darkness for what it is--this being his hamartia--the darkness wins. Anakin does not actually kill Padme, as I was actually predicting that he would. If he had killed her, he would have turned back from the dark side. As it was, he convinced himself that the good was actually the evil, and rejected Padme. She dies of grief, but symbolically she dies simply because she, Anakin's inner good, no longer exists. He forgets about his inner good, and therefore Padme forgets about herself and dies. Luke and Leia are the remainders of his inner good, having sprung from Padme and as they are hidden, seperate, both away from Vader and away from each other in a nice dual-symbolic gesture, Anakin's inner good is hidden from himself. Only when he finds it again, in Leia and later in Luke, does he see it again. He runs from it, trying to kill Leia and Luke at first, but then he tries to take it back into himself by getting Luke to join him. He still doesn't get it, though, and it is not until Luke cuts off his right hand, reducing it to the state that it was in when Anakin force-choked the Mechanics in Clone Wars, does Anakin face himself as he truly is. So I love the actual storyline and how everything was set up (the ship in which Obi-wan escapes from The Planet Of Really Big Circular Holes With Big Lizards And Shit was orgamsically well-designed) but as for the acting...

Bleh, Anakin was better, but they seriously bungled some of the scenes. I mean, sure, some of that dialogue was badly written, but had it been more maturely presented by Portman and Christensen, it would have come off as realistically cute, not disjointed and weird. Like the "You're so beautiful" sequence, after which you could hear an audible chuckle of disdain throughout the theater, seems horribly written, but that may have been because of the way the actors put it forth. The lines would have been much better spoken as "sweet nothings" between the two lovers, perhaps during an embrace and as a prelude to a kiss, quickly and with no William Shatner pauses between the lines. But they portrayed it like a serious discussion, from several feet away. I heard that Liam Neeson was so wooden in EpI because of lousy directing, and this makes sense sine Neeson is normally such a good actor. I think it's most likely that Christensen and Portman were directed to read the lines in that way, which seems to hold true for the rest of the bad bits of dialogue. Obi-wan and Anakin's exchange before their duel was very similar. Take out the huge gaps between lines, and you might have yourself a realistic performance. All in all, though, I thought the movei was very well done. The symbolism and allegory were readily apparent all throughout, one of my favorite bits being when Yoda and Palpatine were fighting in a Senate Chamber devoid of Senators, representing the fact that the individual Senators have no real power, and the way that Palpatine was throwing the seats at Yoda was an excellent reference to teh way he throws the actual senators around politically. The built-up transition to the original movies was also very well executed. Ewan McGregor was truly marvelous in his gradual shift to emulting Alec Guinesses accent and mannerisms as Ben in A New Hope. I also loved the way that Padme gave birth and died at the exact same time that Vader underwent his reconstruction. Great symbolism there, and truly poignant. Basically, my primary beef with EpIII was the lousy handling of the people involved. Even in an allegorically oriented movie, the actors should come first, not the special effects and action.

All in all, I enjoyed myself immensely. That was the first Star Wars midnight premiere showing that I had ever gone to, and let me tell you, the deafening roar that went up as "STAR WARS" appeared on the screen was spine-tingling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Squirrel
    That was hands down one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. While watching it I constantly found myself thinking, "Oh don't say,... oh jesus you did, please don't reply with.... HOLY HELL why did you have to... I mean the only thing worse you could say would be..... ah crap..."

If you enjoyed the Goosebumps series of books this may be a little below your vocabulary. My hats off to all the digital artists who saved this movie from Lucas. Yoda and Greivous (however you spell it) were fantastically acted. It's funny that the completely digital characters showed more emotion and delivered their lines better than the live action folk.

I think what may have made the original trilogy better was the fact that they A) had better actors and B) Lucas' ego had not yet inflated and probably took a lot of advice to heart that his team gave him. Seeing as he wasn't so rich he also had to make sure each shot counted.

I mean, Lucas Forced Himself To Write It. If it weren't for the absolutely insane visuals I would have walked out of this movie.

This movie made Vader seem like a pansy. "Wanna join the Dark Side?" "Umm... well... yeah that's cool" "Really?" "Yeah, sure." "Well that was easier than I thought, I'll call you Darth Vader." "Can I call you master?" "Oh, I guess you should." "Sweet." "Sweet."

Oh and the whole NNNNnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!! line... how cliche and lame.

Makes me want to go break all my Star Wars toys.

-C.Squirrel
    I believe the preverbial nail has been hit on the head! Thank you C.S. it is comforting to know that my opinions were warranted. I sat there the whole time thinking fuck I waited 25 years for this and it's crap.
    -Call me Semaj for short.

Thanks
    there's always going to be haters , but i really LOved this movie. for the last year or so, i've been avoiding spoilers, trailers and everything else out there so when i saw this movie i had no expections, minus the other movies. i didn't think the previous two movies measured up to what i had expected, but this one totally blew me away. i know i like a movie when i don't want it to end, i had that feeling in lotr and i'm glad i had it during this one too. thumbs up from me!

Thanks
    i lthought it was awesome i wasnt expecting anything "mature" and so i wasnt disappointed, heh. YAY! cant wait for dvd.

The audience was clapping and everything
    oh god they did that in our theatre all the time!!

Thanks
    I loved the emotion portrayed in the movie through the music (the music was one of the better original soundtracks for the series), plus the pure eye candy was absoloutely brain melting.

I've only one qualm, I still think that Mace's death should have been more... poigniant... maybe a beheading or something... not a "RING OUT" as my friend cried out in horror when he saw the impending doom that was about to occur. "RING OUT!!! NOOOOOOOooooooooo...." was all I heard in silent but sad voice from over my shoulder. That and Grievous should have definitely had a better death scene as well... the blaster thing really ticked me off. Outside of those two things, I got exactly what I wanted out of the movie, and I am affirmative in my words of "Lucas has redeemed himself". The yoda fights weren't (as) comical, the lightsabre duels were longer and the visuals were just perfect...
    Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul. - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    what disturbed me with the lightsaber fights though was that he still shot them too close most of the time so you couldn't really make out what they were doing. or is that only me?
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    what disturbed me with the lightsaber fights though was that he still shot them too close most of the time so you couldn't really make out what they were doing. or is that only me?
    I could make it out fine, but I guess cocaine will do that to you...

Actually, I agree with you there for some parts, but overall it wasn't as short so there was a lot more room for the wider angle shots to sneak in there, which was really nice to see.
    Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul. - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    "...he killed younglings!"

thats just sounds so funny.... but the movie is cool, definitely better than the other two prequels. Alot of homage shots to other star wars movies. I was expecting mace windu die a more glorious death than a drop from a window. KenobivsGrievious was nicely done.

oh ya...one more thing that puzzles me. If vader was lying on the operation table the whole time, how the hell did they put on that cape on him before he did that "NOOOO" scene?
    After all, dog is a dog. A duck is a duck. But a cat is a person.

Thanks
    hahaha BUSTED!
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    gosh,where to start? The book was actually really cool from what I heard. It explains why Mace Windu was able to stand up to Palpatine (in the book they fight to a total standstill and Anakin gets Mace from behind). It also explains how much of a badass Obi Wan has become, instead of seeing Anakin being a ton better but suddenly not being as good at the end.

Mainly, the acting just didn't make me feel it, like when Dooku died. "Kill him now." "I can't!" "DO IT!" "okay." I like how at the end, it seemed like Palpatine just made up some obvious BS about Padme. "Um, you killed her. Yeah, that's it!" That, of course, led to the greatest line ever, where Vader has to pull his arms out and get into the power stance so he can whine. It sucks that the only time we see him in costume he's a whiny baby.

The second greatest part is definitely: "You're so beautiful." "That's just because I'm so in love with you." "NO, it's because I'M so in love with YOU."

But there was good stuff. I liked when Anakin and Palpatine were talking at the concert thing, I thought yoda fighting was a lot more believable in this one, and the humor was 80 times better in this one than the first two. Plus the colors were nice. I liked the idea of finally trying to make you care about Anakin, but waiting until now to start making him confliicted was too little too late.

I'm not willing to say the movie was bad. I think the ending could've turned it into a decent movie without the "NOOOOOOO!" Oh yeah, and the whole lava planet was not believable at all. Right up there with Chronicles of Riddick. Like someone else said, the stuff was there, but it just wasn't half as cool as it should've been. Oh well. Another disappointing movie...
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast