Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking ALL MEMBERS PLS. REPLY! Want to be MADE into Concept Artists!

Im a new member to ConceptArt.Org, well actually a new artist. I'm a starving artist who needs answers because I want to become a good artist and I know that the only way to get their is to just practice all the time. You see my problem is that I think I am too late in becoming a good artist because I know so many people that are good that started when they were just kids. I have always drew sketches but not as good as people that i have seen. I guess what I am trying to get at is to know if it is too late to become one of these concept artists. I am probably too far behind of the drawing game, just need to know where to start. So I want to ask all the artists out there is:

1) How old were you when you started to draw really good stuff?

2) Who was your inspiration if you had any or were you just gifted?

3) And how can I get there too? heh...

The only reason why I am interested is that my major is graphic design and I took some drawing classes and saw some ppl.'s work. These people are really good because they are either in animation or illustration and I just recently got introduced to concept art. First concept artist I have heard about was Justin Sweet. His stuff is so insane it made me want to get there, but then I heard he was jsut really good and that discouraged me. So all you artists out there, help me out?? I really want to make this into a career and have started some noob sketches. So I need guidance and tips in getting there.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Three words for you: ...bust your ass...
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    you are lazy.

i know this because you didnt bother using the search function.

-jose
    No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Look, I'll reply - cause I'm a member, but I ain't telling you shit.

goodluck

Thanks
    Wow... lots of hostility in here.

I started drawing sense I was wittle. Ive always been creative in everything I do so it just came natural. A lot of 'artist' dont believe in talent. But Talent is real. Some people have to work alot harder at things, this people dont have talent and are enviouse of those that things come naturaly, this are the talented. I grew upwith my dad, my brother grew up with my mother. My mother and her side of the family is very talented. I grew up drawing and realy good at it, no one encouraged me, in fact it was discouraged. My brother never realy got into drawing, he only did it when he was bored, yet we both have about the same level of skill. Some peoples minds are just more atuned to the creative side of there brain. If you constantly are comming up with new and original stuff, for instances I see a vacume cleaner and I can picture an awsuem plasma rifle out of it, then keep going at it. If you see something that interest you and you wan to draw it, thats not creative thats a mimic. I dont brag about being an outstanding artist, Im just a doodler with no training. More of a hobby than a profession. If you want to see a few of my older works you can go to artwanted.com/brandoom .
    From the valley of death I escaped...

Thanks
    van gogh didnt start painting till he was 25, there ya go
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmask
    van gogh didnt start painting till he was 25, there ya go

Thats why he painted abstract. He didnt have the talent or skill to paint like leonardo Devinci. Abstract is very entertaining but is nowhere on the same level that realism is on.
    From the valley of death I escaped...

Thanks
    Hey man, I was just kidding. . .
    to answer some of your questions.
    1) How old were you when you started to draw really good stuff?
    -still not old enough
    2) Who was your inspiration if you had any or were you just gifted?
    -always new this is what I wanted to do, and if you mean "gift" as of working every single day to become the best I can be, then yes I am gifted.
    3) And how can I get there too?
    -post work in the proper forum section and listen to what people say, draw everyday, learn to sacrifice for what you want to do.

Best of luck

Thanks
    well drawing is not evrything because u need ur brain and mind to understand it.. but there are ways to understand drawing with schedule and techniques u can develope.. i really suggest that ..and use ur brain and mind alot dude its very important !
    because.. im trying to develope such a technique that gives me guarantee to get there.. where the most artists here are... skillfull.. get there in no time ...in no time means like 3 years only drawing studies with schedule -
    when u got that done.. ur pro i dont daubt in that - schedule is important here - no schedule no guarantee

drawing is not just drawing - and learning how to draw is not just draw draw draw observe draw from life and copy... its what i heard alot here and evrywhere else... it made me frustrated but then i started to develope my own techniques with guarantee to learn drawing and become pro at it.. there is no chance anyways ...

i just satrted drawing seriously and developing that technique 1.5 years about.. ..

just reveal the : how to learn how to draw evrything technique ..

i dont think there is no way to understand what drawing really is..... its just very complex and we need time to understand it.. some ppl spend more time in it some others spend less.. but .. the more u spend the higher u get
    and ur techniques gets better and better -> efficiency effecitivy <- thats what i care about ( fun.. comes later but its also important u know )
    all about experience !

perspective
    vanishing points
    symmetrie
    dynamic
    foreshortening

most guys maybe dont believ in such a how to learn how to draw (almost) evrything technique.. .. for some reasons i dont understand... but.. not ma fault ..
    i know its real xD

i see most tings as 3D objects - like faces bodys nose ears legs cars - and theyes objects are setup - like a cube - with lines and angles - the cube is inside a orbit which appears diffrent depending on the lense u look thru - the lense distortes light diffrent - perspective appears diffrent vanishing points are created - turn the objects and u get foreshortened lines - when u know how to set 3D objects in 3Dorbid up freely ( in fact u just need lines to get ur objects difined ) .. u got it .. thats what u should learn.. learning without efficiency is no fun more like frustration

when u know ur lines.. u can also shade ur objects perfectly - light shade always depends on the surface below which u can make appear with lines
    like a cube side can be like | | or like ||||||||| .. no real difference

http://www.barre.nom.fr/vtk/images/s...reframe-32.jpg

Last edited by -sideshowbob-; May 18th, 2005 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks
    ...yeah, whats with the negativity fellas? we are here to help eachother, you guys are wankers.... *tsk tsk tsk* ...Ima smack you with a ruler....

First up, post your work on the Forums. Let people here see where your at with regards to your skill, then you can start receiving the feedback you need. Some folks start a daily sketchbook thread; its a good way for you, and others to see your progress. There are alotta folks who are willing to help, and give advice, so you've come to the right place.

Ok, in answer to your questions, I started drawing when I was in 1st school, got better in High School, so thats when things got interesting.
    My influences then where actors, actresses, cartoons and rock bands. I did a lot of copying from magazines, comic books, photographs etc,....I also wanted to be a princess....
    My influences now are the artists of conceptart.org, my network of friends and things I see in daily life. After the amsterdam workshop in April '04, I focused more on my skills, I was nearing 26 then(Im 27 soon). So, no your not too old to start, your 23 ya?
    You could say gift has alot to do with being an artist, but I dont think it really matters. What matters most in my opinion, is your passion for art and learning. Passion IMO is what gets you through...

Theres some good advice in this thread so far. Good-luck mate, all the best; draw, post, recieve critique, and push yourself, its hard work, but very, very rewarding...

Mollyx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaguelogic1984
    Thats why he painted abstract. He didnt have the talent or skill to paint like leonardo Devinci. Abstract is very entertaining but is nowhere on the same level that realism is on.
    that's one of the most ignorant answers i read in a long time.
    you can NOT compare two artists from two totally different periods of time with each other.
    1st of all, i wouldn't call van gogh's style abstract just because he didn't use those chiaroscuro and szfumato-techniques that the old renaissance and barock masters (like da vinci and caravaggio) used. he just developed his style very quick because he wanted to.
    2nd: do you know picasso? he was the one who could paint very realistically at the age of 14. yet, in his later phases, he went more and more abstract because he didn't want this academical realism.

any way, back to topic.

i wouldn't say that i paint any good stuff by now (i am 17 and started when i was 16). but drawing every day definitely helped me improve my skills.

if you want to improve, do lots of life drawings and go read the loomis and bridgman anatomy books. try to switch your brain on while you are drawing (except you don't want to ) and you will be rewarded by progressing faster.

the most important thing yet is to constantly draw, even when you don't think you are improving at all or you don't want to draw.

cheers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to USER777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim
    the most important thing yet is to constantly draw, even when you don't think you are improving at all
    well.. u cant gain any understanding when u just draw.. thats why we have a braind and a mind and we can use our thoughts to reflect.. when u just draw.. without thinkking improvement is more luck then anything - how can u reproduce anything when u dont understand how u got that done at first time - u cant controle without understanding it.. and thats what the pro artists can do.. they know about 3D they know about the ollusion of drawing.. they know about 3D orbit and how objects behave.. i dunt think all of em are aware of their knowledge.. but .. when u are not aware of it.. its not real

the only way to learn and understand is to think about is.. thats the only guarantee we have to control ..the rest of that process is hidden in the sub-consciouness but its computet with the consciouness - u cant understand or learn how to draw without thinking and paying attention to it

spend more -> learn faster .. thats just what i experienced and that is why i dont suggest to just draw draw draw or copy or bla bla bla lal that just do and dont think about stuff - in order to controle what u draw/want to draw and able to reproduce stuff and not just got lucky.. u have to think about it

we "humans" dun have other tools to understand us and this world.. i recommend to use these tools (effective )

Thanks
    Surround yourself with the artists/students and learn from them. Immerse yourself in workshops to keep motivated and consistent with your learning. Everyone starts out slow but the most impt is thing is how passionate you are about this. Know your goals first and concentrate on how you can achieve it. I have no idea how old you are but it's never too late. I can safely say that I've improved a lot since getting that art education in college so it's all worth it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    First up, post your work on the Forums. Let people here see where your at with regards to your skill, then you can start receiving the feedback you need. Some folks start a daily sketchbook thread; its a good way for you, and others to see your progress. There are alotta folks who are willing to help, and give advice, so you've come to the right place.

yea mate, thats the most sound advice your going ta get in this thread, everybody has their individual strengths and weaknesses, theres hardly a single route of success that you can follow and taadaa. You need to develope, not only your technical skill and knowledge but your imagination, and expand it with all the real world elements, that you can incorporate into everything, you have no idea how useful it is to know how muscle, and gaseous exchange systems work, when designing a creature, or why a submarine is a certain shape to withstand high amounts of pressure. Now i know these are pretty crap examples, but you get my drift.
    and to answer your questions:

1) i started drawing seriously when i was 16, i still draw crap stuff today (18) but thats besides the point, i am progressing a bit, even if your freakin amazing, youl look back embarassed at the work you did 2 years ago.

2)Everyone has inspirations, anyone who claims they dont is a freakin liar. Even if it may not be other artists its the world around you, you just need to apply it. For me it the wonderful people that are replying in your thread, and all over the rest of the board, its what keeps me motivated.

3) youve seen plenty of examples above, and i think jason manley started drawing when he was 20 or somthing, and hes currently running massive black.

8)
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Post here...post often....get crits....absorb those crits....work on it.

If all else fails, sign up for classes.

Welcome to the forum.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmaiquez004
    Want to be MADE into Concept Artists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incubus
    Why not try, and make yourself?
    Honestly, we get like 5 new members every month that post stuff like "i wanna be a concept artist", "i wanna be a game designer" and stuff like that. Really, where's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    bust your ass
    and don't brag. (Btw, evildisco, love the disco volante avatar)

Thanks

Cow

Thanx, Lim, for your answer about VanGogh.

One little story my piano teacher told me : He told me there was a pianist who started to play at 17 ! (most professionals start at 4 or 5...), he worked ten years, then win one of the most prestigious piano contest in the world by playing concerto n.3 of Rachmaninov (one of the hardest piece to play). He previously learned concerto n.2 (extremely difficult too) but decided to change at the last minute, to pay homage to a deceased peer !
    He also told me that the most gifted childs stop quickly, most of the time, because they can't stand difficulties : they were not used to it !
    Hope it will give you some courage and self-trust.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Didn't you already post this in the sketch forum? :/
    Anyway, to answer your question, it's never too late to start. One of my favorite artist (Nykolai) mentioned he didn't started painting till he's around 30. And one of the 3D artist didn't start going for art till he graduated with an engineering degree (that would make him around 22 or 23 when he started his art career at least).

To get to be a good artist, you need to practice a lot, and you already know that. But also don't forget practice with referrence and comparitive practicing. It seems a lot of people when they start off they think they can go without referrencing at all and thought making everything out from imagnation is good. But it's really not true. Also compare your art with people who are better than you, to see why yours isn't as good, try to see it from different aspect, ask yourself is it the lack of contrast, the lack of overall flow, the lack of different color tones, etc that make your piece not as good? And it may also help to compare your work with ppl who doesn't draw as good as you, to see what mistake you make.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts

your wish is my command

You want to be MADE into a concept artist? OK, I'll MAKE you into concept artist.
    POOF! You're a concept artist.
    Unfortunately, I only have the power to make you into a really lousy concept artist. You have to make yourself into a good one.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    and that is why artists who ONLY create abstract art are not 'true artists'
    Picasso was great. His abstract art was a rebellion against his peers and pa (damn was he able to create realism during his teen years)
    Van Gogh on the other hand...was just a crazy man who got a hold of paint
    Last edited by Denart; May 18th, 2005 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Do you even know who van Gogh is? Give me one example of an abstract painting by van Gogh.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    Picasso was great. His abstract art was a rebellion against his peers and pa (damn was he able to create realism during his teen years)
    You still have much to learn, grasshopper .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Even Van Gogh received classical training. Both had the potential to create better works of art but unfortunately they veered away from it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orcatraz
    Do you even know who van Gogh is? Give me one example of an abstract painting by van Gogh.
    I only said abstract because somebody before me said abstract...
    But fine.
    Representational Abstract.
    that's better

hey I'm not a hater of modern art. I adore my ARTODAY book.

Thanks
    I only said abstract because somebody before me said abstract...
    But fine.
    Representational Abstract.
    that's better

hey I'm not a hater of modern art. I adore my ARTODAY book.
    It's Post-Impressionism...

Thanks
    van Gogh is a Post-Impressionist. and most of his work looks like it would fit in on this site (to some degree). >>example<<

Edit: patdzon beat me to it. Im a slow typist.

Thanks
    Isn't Art history taugh anymore ????????? And we wonder why the subforum of the same name is dead...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    Isn't Art history taugh anymore ????????? And we wonder why the subforum of the same name is dead...
    haha yeah...

Thanks
    Yikes. Well Elwell said it best already. No offense Denart, but I wish I went to your high school where they teach you what "true artists" are. As it is, I'm still confused

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Ignore the hostile responses. This thread is probably a good microcosm of what goes on here, good advice for the most part, and the occassional jack-assery.

Thanks
    ok ok chill
    We dont have art history at my high school and the art courses we do have, we only learn about using the various art mediums. My HS only likes to fund proms and sports...

currently I'm in this classical/bouguereau/modern-realists craze and trying to get my foundations down, so that would explain any hostilities towards the abstract artists

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast