Art: Neons and glowsticks

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Neons and glowsticks

I'm just stumped on how to make glowing effects in Photoshop (7 or CS). Like glowstick type glowing effects.

I'd rather create the whole thing in a painterly style and not use lots of filters. Layering colors with a brush and what have you. Is there a traditional media technique that could be applied digitally? The main color in question would be orange. I can't seem to get it vibrant enough.

Neons and glowsticks
    practice image

If anyone has advice for me or maybe knows of a demo somewhere, I'd be most appreciative. This a problem that has plagued me for quite some time.

~Tiina
    www.DragondustStudios.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try using the color dodge setting. Basically, it lightens towards whatever color you have chosen, and works great for a neon effect. This would also be called the glow brush if you are using painter at all. Also, another extremely effective technique if you are establishing light sources, like bounce light from your neons, is when you have your basic values of whatever you are rendering in place, copy and paste the layer on to itself and work on top of it. This way when you apply your color dodge brush strokes the computer automatically mixes the color of the light you have chosen with the surface color. Free, and exact color mixing! You can't beat that. That technique is one I picked up from Ryan Church, and is quite a time saver. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try taking the yellow streak layer (im hoping it's on a different layer, either way select it with a low magic wand of some sort and anti-alias it if you can't ctrl+select it) perhaps gaussian blur it (2-3) to create a mystical glow if so desired then color dodge blend that layer over the initial one.

just a quick fix, but maybe not the depth you are looking for...
    Neons and glowsticks

that's a little yellow, so just knock the color down on hue and saturation -16...

Neons and glowsticks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm sorry, but i don't think this is a lifedrowing.
    the creature looks verry nice!
    the thread belongs to the sketches section

post more
    meby somebody will move your thread and than you'll get more replys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tina - I really love the masterpiece! Even with just the two colours and Gregorys adjustment it's a great picture...are you going to do more with it?

Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lunarsis - Thank you I'll try that. I wish I had painter. The school computers do and I envy, very much. I went out and bought some oil paints to compensate for it.

Gregory - Holy crap, thank you! That's exactly the effect I wanted. I'm going to recreate it with a paintbrush, but that's the glow I had in mind. And I did have the orange color on another layer, so I could fix it.

Icey - I'm sorry, I just didn't know which forum to ask in. It was more of a technique question with a sample image. But, I'll post in the sketches section next time.

Dstudio - I plan to make more with the same character, but I guess I could do some thing with this picture.

~Tiina
    www.DragondustStudios.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.