Is this true?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is this true?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is this true?

This was emailed to me just now..

Oh year thats what i read in the paper and forgot to tell you.

Someone threw a grenade at george bush in georgia the other day.
    it didn't go off. Mind you alot of innnocent bystanders would have been injured
    as well. When he walked onto the stage they were all shouting bushie! bushie!
    and this was only a week after demonstrators were killed by soldiers and they
    claim that 137 terroists were killed and 32 troops were killed therefore no
    civillians died. What a load of crap. Oh and here is the catch georgia is in the
    middle of the reoute for the US backed-oil line between the caspian sea and
    world markets. The actual route apparently hasn't been decided yet but funnilt
    enough afganistan was a key country.

Interesting (twiggling fingers) very interesting.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i saw on cnn yesterday that it was indeed a live grenade but didn't go off because of some sort of malfunction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That article said it missed by 30 meters. Pretty lousy nade throwing, if you ask me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the kill radius of the nade was 31 meters. had it went off, bush would be dead or injured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend readinf Agence France Press (AFP) or Reuters in order to get a better handle on the news and casualty numbers. And news in general for that matter...
    (Note that I said a better handle on news. I'm not by far saying they're 100% right. Just a little less at a bias.... *Bites tongue not to rant and rave about news accuracy, biases, censorship, threaths to journalists, lies,.... )

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    (Note that I said a better handle on news. I'm not by far saying they're 100% right. Just a little less at a bias.... *Bites tongue not to rant and rave about news accuracy, biases, censorship, threaths to journalists, lies,.... )

Whatever one may say about the news media, they generally are a better source for current events information than art forums.

Jeez.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why didnt they just use a bloody gun, at least it wouldnt have malfunctioned, and it wouldve killed one person instead of 30 or so (if the grenade went off that is)..

not being mean or anything, but some people are pretty dumb, if they want to kill one person, they should'nt kill innocent people to kill that one person theyre after..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its alot easier to conseal a grenade than a gun, and guns can malfunction to, hmm

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JokingClown
    the kill radius of the nade was 31 meters. had it went off, bush would be dead or injured.
    rofl i dont think so matey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guns requires the ability to aim.

And if it's the President, then you would have to aim fast because of the guards, and the crowds, and the whole situation.

And also, the people trying to kill the President aren't worried at all about the welfare of any one else. A little obvious with the use of a gernade, the lives of people around them aren't of any concern to them.

Not to say that the US isn't a money grubbing entity, but then who isn't, but really you can twist anything anyway you want to get anything you want out of anything. Basically, yeah Afganistan is a key coutnry to the oil line, but why not? If this oil line is being planned now, or even in the last two years, then it's well after the inavasion of Afganistan, and the move to the next country.

Basically I'm saying don't let your personal views on the President, or any other topic cloud logical thought. Take some time to think through stuff before "mmhhhh....ah yes, Bush is evil so he must be doing this....TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!"

But thanks for bringing the gernade issue up, I hadn't heard of this before hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JokingClown
    Must be a pretty big grenade to have a kill radius of 31 meters.

Edit: I've read oral histories from SAS soldiers who said the American Secret Service's method of VIP protection is a joke. Basically you have a group of bodyguards surrounding the VIP. Effectively that's a "painted" target for a crack marksman shooting from afar.

The SAS method of VIP protection is more subtle. They work in concentric rings at various distances (usually not predetermined based on location and difficulty of distributing manpower) and the bodyguards have concealed weapons and flexicuffs and wears clothing that blends into the crowd. Their objective is to observe expressions, body language and hidden weapons. Also they'd report suspicious characters who are pushing aggressively to get close to the VIP. As we've seen in cases like the Ghandi and Lee Harvey Oswald attemtps...they were all close range and 100% foolproof for the attacker. The SAS would radio back and forth until they can close on on the suspected assassins. It might seem ad hoc, but its definitely more effective than throwing a ring around the VIP to paint an obvious bullseye for a sniper......Oswald was a crackshot by the way...which was why he nailed Kennedy in the neck at that distance.

Last edited by darth massacre; May 21st, 2005 at 02:09 AM.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've recall reading that a hand grenade has a 'kill radius' of a few meters tops. Remember that we're talking about the volume of a sphere here. The shockwave from the explosion is substantially smaller twice as far away.

However, in a confined space the pressure from the explosion can be carried a larger distance (as often exploited in movies).

If it was a splinter grenade then it could probably kill someone quite far away, but as distance grows, so does the density of the splinter. Comes down to luck / bad luck here I guess. I think splinter grenades are often used to take troops down within a certain radius, not necessarily kill them.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 21st, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a grenade doesnt cause and explosion, it blows up but you dont see and fire or anything, it kills people because it sends shrapnel everywhere

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, that's what a frag grenade does. 15 meter kill radius at most...and that's in pristine conditions for the grenade. If you guys ever get to throw a live one, do what I didn't do......

Throw it as far as you can.

I scared the shit out of my own pants that very one time. Good thing I was behind a bomb bay.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...except, you do realize that this grenade was designed not to produce shrapnel, right? I believe it was created for mining or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmask
    a grenade doesnt cause [an] explosion, it blows up but you dont see and fire or anything, it kills people because it sends shrapnel everywhere
    I'm not sure if you were refering to my post, but a grenade most certainly explodes. I think many people expect explosions to be fireballs since that's how stuff always explode in movies, but that's not the kind of explosion I meant anyways.

Concussion grenades were in fact made to kill, demolish or incapacitate with a plain explosion/blast (TNT/C-3, no intentional shrapnel). They were as I understand it commonly used as offensive grenades during WW1-2. Mostly they tossed them into bunkers or confined spaces, and they were useful because they didn't require all of your friendlies to duck and cover cuz of shrapnel flying all over the place.

There's also grenades that cause fire, such as phosphorous grenades. These count on doing their damage by scattering nasty burning stuff in a 15-20 meter radius though.

But as I stated later, shrapnel grenades has a much larger damage radius than one relying on shockwave or heat to do the damage. Fragmentation/shrapnel grenades can be thrown something like 40 meters (or less if you don't have a good throwing arm). Because of this the wound radius is half of that distance (15-20m) and the kill radius is a third of that (5-7m). I think there might be a difference between the offensive and defensive fragmentation grenades. The defensive ones have a larger radius since you and your friendlies are probably safe in a trench, whilst with the offensive ones you might be more exposed so they have a smaller radius.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.