Art: Tenebris, style experiment

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tenebris, style experiment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tenebris, style experiment

Up 'til now I have really struggled trying to develop a style that I am happy to work in and can consistently produce. I think I might have found it with this one though, I have been trying to improve my digital painting of late and sort of stumbled into this one. This is only my second serious attempt and unfortunately with a mouse!

The ink drawing is something I did awhile ago and just recently decided to do a paint job on it. I would love as much feedback as I can get on my technique, strong points, weak points and the style in general. I really want to know if this look is marketable enough for me to pursue as 'my style' (until I cange my mind again!)

and a detail of the metal...

thanks in advance

Lee Smith

deviantART: leesmith.deviantart.com
    Sketchbook: Leevolution
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    phil Guest
    I for one, like it, i wish i had a style like this

What is it tho? a vampire or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice work, i also kiked the ink drawings (including this one) when you posted the some time ago.
    mybe you could give the colors more contrast and the metal should have some brighter highlites... but that could also just be me. great stuff, you should keep this as your style for a while and post more...

kaka Guest

o..

like it ....:bash: hehehehe.......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bastion!

do yourself a favor and get an intuos 2 graphics tablet from wacom to work with. get the 6 x 8 so you have free range of motion for your elbow and wrist but it's not too big so as to take up your entire work area. this size is great since you can kick back in your chair and render with the tablet in your lap. the sensitivity of the usb -based intuos 2 is phenominal!
    yeah it costs money....so what!
    with incredible work like yours done with a mouse i'd say you'll spend more money getting worked on by hand surgeons for carpal tunnel syndrome or rsi (repetitive stress injury).
    i'm also saying, in a roundabout way, that your work is very good!!
    keep pushing this idea of yours and try to break the boundary of black lines denoting your form - try letting color and tone be your bounding lines.

peace!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments people

PHIL: no, don't do that, then it wouldn't be 'my style' anymore As for the character he is an assassin from a subterranean race that features in a game idea of mine.

NACHO: good point, a few people have mentioned this one so I will look into it, thanks

KAKA: thanks

REDEHLERT: beleive me as soon as the bank account will allow it! As for the black lines I thought I was being original by combining my liework with the painting style, I was hoping to come up with something that hasn't been done too much before. Usually things painted to this amount of detail lose the lines, and work with the lines tends to be coloured in a very glossy/comic book sort of look. Do you think it works with the lines?

Lee Smith

deviantART: leesmith.deviantart.com
    Sketchbook: Leevolution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool character! There's nothing wrong with keeping the linework like you did, but be sure and vary the thickness of the lines. It looks like you did a bit of that in the wrinkles, but the lines are still too static, I think. Ironically, comic-style coloring would work for this picture, because the colors would have more pop to them, making the linework subordinate. But like you said, that's not the style you're after. I suggest looking at some of Mucha's work, because he pulls off the style you're talking about quite nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bastion,

Real quick note (sorry...lot's of work to do): I hear ya on the $$ aspect (you'll love it when you buy it!)...
    As for your black lines - you're dead on correct hoss! Original? Not really, but you're very good at it! I like the figure and how your rendering was handled....I'd say keep goin' with this style because it rocks! It works perfect with the lines, there's no doubt about that.
    My suggestion to you was just saying if you are trying to find your own style, then try to push beyond the structure/framework/outline of your inking....follow me?
    This isn't original either....but it's all about exploring what is inside of the box before you step outside of it.

Cool work! Post more!
    Peace!
    d

Originally posted by BASTION

REDEHLERT: beleive me as soon as the bank account will allow it! As for the black lines I thought I was being original by combining my liework with the painting style, I was hoping to come up with something that hasn't been done too much before. Usually things painted to this amount of detail lose the lines, and work with the lines tends to be coloured in a very glossy/comic book sort of look. Do you think it works with the lines? [/B]

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.