Thanks

What's a good tablet PC?

I'll be taking on my first paid comic work soon and am considering getting a
    tablet PC to streamline the art process. I already do my layouts and lettering in Pshop, it'd be nice to not have to measure everything out onto paper and then scan the line art back in later. My big worry is that the screen rez will be too low for line art. I don't know what I'm getting into here, is a tablet a good idea? What tablet is going to be best for this job? Can they be had with a video card that supports two monitors? What do I need to be worried about?

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if you are doing any work on the computer i would highly suggest getting a tablet. it is pretty much a must for digital artists in terms of speed and control. i use a 6x8 intuos III wacom tablet. i have tried the graphire and the previous intuos models, and the intuos III is by far the best. one of the great features of the intuos III are the touch pads and buttons on the tablet itself that allow you to customize their functions. these are especially helpful when you work on a laptop since not all laptops have full key sets, or they often do not have the keys in the same place...which makes your efficiency drop considerably.

as for dual monitors, yes they support dual monitors but there are some drawbacks. for some reason there is no easy way to toggle between using the tablet on one monitor and then switching to the other monitor. the problem that occurs is that you end up only being able to draw with a very small portion of the tablet before you reach the boundary where it enters into the second screen. many people have brought up this problem with wacom before but they still have refused to address the issue properly. hope that helps some.

Thanks
    I mean a Tablet PC, not a graphire or Intuos type tablet. I've been using various wacom tablets for years, they're o.k. for painting but blow for line art.

Thanks
    I've been using various wacom tablets for years, they're o.k. for painting but blow for line art.
    That depends on the program, photoshop sucks for line art but painter and open canvas can work great.
    Mike May does some amazing line work with painter. >>example<<
    Don't be to quick to judge your wacom when the limitations are really due to PS. I don't think the pressure sensitivity in the tablet pcs have caught up to wacom tablets yet. I wouldn't buy one yet. (unless money is not an issue for you)

oC works well too, and it's free, download.
    Last edited by Orcatraz; May 16th, 2005 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Having used one for a while, I'd say they aren't there yet as artist tools. If you really want to spend a grand or so on a digital sketchbook, it's pretty good for that, but I wouldn't use it for finished work.

Thanks
    orcatraz - I've tried all those programs (Painter Classic, not the newest version), plus Deleter Comic Works, which I found to be far superior to both Open Canvas and Painter, for line art, but still not good enough. I need to be able to use my wrist the right way to do line art, and that's a wacom problem.

Money is definitely an issue, unfortunately . . .

Dr. Memory - O.K., guess it's back to the old crow quill, or just leaving it in pencil. Hard to believe we can put a man on the moon but we can't do good line art on the computer. Oh wait, we can't put a man on the moon anymore either