Sketchbook: hp's improvement workbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hp's improvement workbook

Hey,

I really got inspired by a lot of the sketchbooks here, especially the ones who have improved a hell of a lot over time. I'm pretty poor in drawing and painting (hmm i guess that's just about all there is...crap.), but I mostly want to improve:

1) faces and skintones...I've never really liked drawing anything as much as faces...unfortunately I suck at them, especially because I can't use my own face as a guide to draw "typical" faces, especially as my profile is pretty flat, lack eyelid folds, eyebrow bridge etc.
    2) drawing from life, very quickly.
    3) men. mine all look like really ugly girls. I actually lean toward wanting to draw girly ones, but at least they should look sort of normal.
    4) more movement in my compositions.

I doubt any ppl will respond to this sketchbook since I'm not that great, but critiques are appreciated as always!

A quick self-portrait done with a mirror, and a face practice (supposed to be a guy?), and just some pics to compare to my painting.

I have other doodles in my sig, but I'll post my other self portrait and ex. of my children's book style (but not necessarily part of it).

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    worked on some more concepts on the children's book since i was in the mood. one is of the girl showing a picture of her mother (the story is of her trying to find her), and the other is of the fox queen of the nine tails (chinese myth) that she encounters later on. used a cleopatra waterhouse painting ref for the pose in the second.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you have a great start! You understand so much, it just appears that you are too hard on yourself in your drawings... It looks as if you try to do everything right the first time and don't allow yourself to "refine" the image. To constantly go over and over it, like smooth the values out in the first one. This type of art isn't chinese calligraphy... you need to go over the image ... over and over. And you can't use the excuse that your face isn't "this or that"... even if you think your butt ugly (which your not), it's the ability to create an illusion of realism that your working on.

Keep it up! You've got a good thing going here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, don't put yourself down so much!!! I checked out your doodleish thingies aswell and they're awesome!!
    um, im not too good at giving tips on skintone, if i need help on this kind of thing i usually use a reference from a magazine. the only advice i can give for drawing from life is the cliche:practice. also, don't give up-after you finish a drawing assess what youve done right and what youve done wrong, that way you know what to work on next time.
    with drawing guys, there are a few things i do to make them look less girly, however in real life these arent actually steadfast rules. i don't put too much emphasis on the lips (and most of the emphasis goes on the line that indicated the opening), i try not to make the cheeks too rounded or the chin too pointy (unless i'm doing manga/anime) and even if they have eyelashes i dont draw them in. its all a matter of preference really-like i prefer to draw guys with big eyebrows.......dont ask
    im still learning to do movement myself, but something i heard that comic artists do is go to the farthest extremes of the movements intended. like if someones running, their legs stretch as far as possible, and if they're throwing a punch their whole body is flung into the movement.
    sorry for not giving crit on the actual pictures posted but all i could think to say for the self portrait has already been said, and apart from that i really love your style
    hope to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. In the self portrait I actually wanted to do it as quickly as possible and gave myself a time limit. As soon as I get out of school I want to try my hand at some jobs (hopefully paid)...and I have this horrible habit of taking forever to do something and not finishing it at all...so I want to make sure I can finish things on time.

Basically I wanted to block in the form and make sure I didn't get caught up in the details like I usually do, because I always end up with like half the character done really well and the rest of the picture not even colored yet. Even telling myself this, I started to work on smoothing and details...had to force myself to start over and try to work looser.

And I don't think I'm ugly at all (<~~ego x.x;;, but I have trouble drawing the things I mentioned, for example, a caucasian face. But I'm practicing it

Tonberry: Basically to make my guys supposedly like guys, I give them more angular eyes (as opposed to almond shaped, etc.) and lower the brows, and make the brows more bushy hehe, just like you said.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhhhh.... ok, that makes more sense. It's hard to get a good feel on people on their work and what they're trying to do with only some information.

I would have a lot of trouble trying to draw an oriental face from my mind. I guess I'd look up a lot of profiles and 3/4 views. And definitely how lighting effects an orientals face... i'd have no clue!

So in your case...
    Andrew Loomis' head and hands book is the only suggestion I can think of for ya...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my profile is practically a straight line...so my drawings of profiles are always like funkay x.x;;;

Some practice sketches...wanted to work on drawing quickly again, so I timed myself using songs, once it was over, the sketch was over, although I tried drawing faster...trying not to work too hard on details but just get form down. As you can tell I still have problems drawing noses and lips mostly. I noticed how long it's been since I've really sat down and sketched...mine are so unrefined

edit: btw these are all guys...hopefully you can sort of tell.

[/IMG]hp's improvement workbook

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some practice speed-drawing my face again from a mirror...my face hurts now...i can't hold an "angry" pose for more than a few seconds at a time...i guess i'm a happy person!

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some older and recent doodles in my sketchbook, nothing fancy. sorry for the shitty quality...i really should have used my fancy scanner but i was too lazy...so some of the pictures are at angles.

The first sketch I did in my first art class last yr. Not photorealistic by any means, but I'm attached to it for sentimental reasons, I guess. Amazingly, I haven't improved much from this...gah. Alice w/ ribbon hair.

We had to decorate our sketchbook cover, i couldn't think of anything cute to write other than " 'art and soul". self-portrait with my favorite shoe. I think it's in at least 10 of my other drawings. x.x;;

An etching I did. They told me to draw the letters backwards. Yeah, right. The drawing is much clearer, but I think it died somewhere along the way. Look for a skull, paintball mask, me, a cat, sword, my fingerless gloves, ghosts. Supposed to symbolize childhood dreams.

My stick figures AKA poor attempts at drawing classmates. And an MLK parade design (ACK anatomy...). Some attempts at drawing a stylized old couple. Obviously, I'm not talented enough to be able to call things stylized (I hate when ppl use that as an excuse for plain suckiness).

Museum sketches. Everything is someone else's artwork, well except the bg and tree.

Attempt at drawing a movie-type poster based on a book. Ugh the composition...the horror...

A quick contour sketch - self portrait.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i saw some of phuzion's (sp?) lineart and got jealous. attempted. lameass result. again the fox queen of the nine-tails (i don't think i drew nine...anyhoo) except I actually looked in a mirror for life drawing practice. Very hard to pose...make line...pose...make line...took a photo eventually.

Some of my children's book sketches if you haven't seen them. (see, i drew the shoe again...)

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work. I like the paintings especially. That one with the keyboard has a great start to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

beautiful!

Your line work is increadibly beautiful! You really have a nice sense of proportion and what not, the only suggestion I could give I guess is to loosen up a little with your pencil drawings, they seem a little stiff and over worked (some of them, not all). But I digress, you kick my butt drawing wise anyhow, so keep it up!!

I got Chocolate Bubblegum!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i love your "art and soul" piece, and your linearts are absolutely beautiful (im also a fan of phuzions sketchbook) hope to see more!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i'm working on blocking rather than working on details in little areas...hopefully my work will eventually look looser. i'm actually not a huge fan of graphic art with sharp lines and cellshading.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew this for a friend after seeing the latest episode of Bleach. It ended getting worked on a lot longer than expected, practice working on my asian guy faces again. He's one of my favorite characters hehe. It's crazy how he's all serious, but the voice actor plays a funny pervert on another show.

The most time was spend trying to find an actual picture of this character on the internet...ended up freezing a frame of the show and drawing next to it. I give up on his hair thingys, ugh, and trying to make his hair all angular. I used one of my sketchbook poses for the face.

Just to explain - he doesn't care that his sister is getting executed and the guy on the top right doesn't like him. They're also shinigami (death god/angel?) captains.
    Spikyhead guy-"I was worried you'd be depressed or something, since you know, your sister IS getting executed." *sarcasm*
    Him: "It's none of your business."
    -"While we're at it, why don't I lop off her head for you?"
    -"I don't know...one can cut off a head with just your skills?"
    -"Want me to try it on ya?"
    - "You want me to let you try it?!?!??!?!!?"

some examples of the real character (I wanna draw the bloody guy on the bottom too hehe it looks cool!):

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the new painting a lot! I struggle to get that rough painterly look that you have. Incidentally, what level of opacity do you use on your works?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your painting is gorgeous!!! i love your manga underneath aswell! great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that isn't mine, just in case you meant that... watch the series though! it's freaking hilarious and sad and cool at the same time

oh, btw i use painter's oil pastels and oils, but you can imitate it using enayla's tutorial...it's somewhere on cgtalk.com, just search for it.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just something i posted at the threedy.com speedpainting challenge. topic is night of the living dead.

~~~~my crappy entry...

she controls an army of the dead, they are all bodiless like her but they have "ghost" skeletons, she controls them by the seal on their foreheads, one will carry her on a staff, they all rise on the full moon and their eyes are supposed to resemble the moon. <~~Wow I sound like a fob, anyhoo...

They have buttons for eyes because...well...I was thinking about Neil Gaiman and he wrote a little kid's book where the characters have freaky button eyes. Creepy pictures. Not quite the same though, mine are attached to the sockets by cobwebs.

I know the bg is a bit too alike...I rotated some of the skulls, but I don't have the patience to work on all of them. I spent too much time on this anyhow.

4.5 hrs, Painter.

And the colors I actually painted the face...I wanted a really soft look, it turned out pretty nice IMO skintone wise.

hp's improvement workbook~~~

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love your speedpaint, it has so much atmosphere. i actually think a repetitive background can be more effective than detailed background in some cases, as otherwise it can take away from the main character. i really like this!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on this last one. I don't mind repetitive, but it does seem like you have a lot of light on them until the last row when they suddenly become dark. Seems some darker tones to the back ones would help break the repetitive feel too.

In any case, nice work.

Thanks for the heads up on the tutorial. Been doing some more sketchy practice...some are working, some not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, i've gotten some feedback complaining about the bg, but i lost interest really after a few hours and since it was a speedpaint i didn't want to do any more work (i guess i'm already breaking my new rule for doing bgs at the same time as my figures)...i had already done 4.5 hrs which is pretty long.

here is another selfportrait for practicing skintones...usually i think of myself as orange/yellow but i used more pinks this time and tried to have a soft look...maybe a little too blended IMO (i used a really low opacity oil brush), but it came out better than i'd have thought.

all from observation, so the eyes are a bit small and the face a little fat. i look awfully old too...i just grad from high school on tues! i'll fix it up some prolly

my sketch and colors.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. I love the girl's head on a stick! That's too cool. You seem to be good with skintones too. Just keep doing what you're doing, don't forget to study from life more often. Good going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, i try to study from life (i give that advice all the time,after all) but it's hard to find someone now since it's too hot to go to a park and no one is here during summer break...unless i sit in a coffeeshop...and then i'm like staring at ppl and feel really bad mostly i just get to draw my beautiful self and that's it

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit: oh btw this is for my "children's book" thingy

i've been reading more sandman and i really like dave mckean's art...i got sort of comic book inspired and drew a crappy cover...of course is nothing like dave mckean. maybe i'll try to go for a more graphic novel look from now on, but maybe not since i'm not familiar with layouts. I've sort of got the story down now...I'm sure it's not very original (don't read too much comics and I suck at storytelling)...the cover outfit certainly isn't.

Basically the story takes place in China or some asianish country b/w two peoples:
    1) the original inhabitants of the land, who wield magic and oldish type weapons
    2) people who rely on technology and have taken over most of the area

The modern weaponry has basically forced the natives to become nomadic and move farther and farther back, but they're fighting to regain some territory. It's a pretty bleak situation but they've got a few tricks left.

The cover is the main character of the southern (nomadic) army, eventually I'll draw the other side with the general of the northern army. I don't think the title translates exactly right, and my handwriting sucks, but whatever.

Here are some idea sketches...these are NOT the layouts, just random doodles.

first is a northern (modern) soldier taking a break. He suddenly notices a really hot girl in the doorway...she is really a shapeshifter - according to chinese myths there are foxes that turn into hot girls and basically they seduce men & have sex like crazy until finally the men are really weak, then they can steal their power or something, I dunno. Girl is ref'ed from Girl Next Door.

Second is the nomadic army in a desert region. The main character gets a signal from a diving eagle that the northern army is approaching in the distance, and they perform some thingy that makes them disappear so the enemy won't see them.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the new sketches (in particular the second one). ps, sandman rocks! even though i read a lot of comic books already i have to say it's one of my favourites simply because of the complexity of the storyline. cahn't wait to see some more (oh, and btw: love the most recent self portrait!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i worked on the other side of the cover...here is the original sketch...some proportional issues but it's just for the idea...not sure if i want to exaggerate some features like the other side (the guy posted before) with height, although i did exaggerate her boobs a bit....not too familiar with how to draw comic-type breasts but it turned out all right IMO. The background says "north" (i think) and she is the general of the northern dudes who use modern technology like guns and all that.

and i tried to come up with an outfit, but i suck at that...sort of a military/bathrobe/ hotpants thingy with rolled up sleeves. :crazy: not sure if i want to make her a blonde with flying hair or a brunette :o

anyways, i suck at drawing hot people :cry: so any tips would be cool.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a small update on my la belle dame sans merci spoof ...will keep the lower armor & tattoo but to make it more like the original painting i will put the armband in and keep the off-shoulder collar of the dress. fixed the anatomy of the body except for the hands, obviously, and fixed the hair some too, to match the original. i don't think i posted it in this thread...so i'll post everything again.

original:

my painting, which i haven't worked on in forever...:

my update:

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is looking really good. what a great idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always loved the way that anime artists draw their guys really relaxed...i tried my hand at it, of course drawing two of the only characters i know...kakashi and iruka

left is referenced (and pretty much the same) from kubo tite's drawings of abarai renji. right is from referenced from dogeatdog's photographs on deviantart. and yes, their pants are supposed to go that low...whether or not they would show anything in real life...well, that's the way that anime draws it... :o ...and i dunno how to draw guy torsos...

original sketch:

horrible redrawing (the lines are so bad...x.x;; ):

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.