Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hp's improvement workbook

Thanks

hp's improvement workbook

Hey,

I really got inspired by a lot of the sketchbooks here, especially the ones who have improved a hell of a lot over time. I'm pretty poor in drawing and painting (hmm i guess that's just about all there is...crap.), but I mostly want to improve:

1) faces and skintones...I've never really liked drawing anything as much as faces...unfortunately I suck at them, especially because I can't use my own face as a guide to draw "typical" faces, especially as my profile is pretty flat, lack eyelid folds, eyebrow bridge etc.
    2) drawing from life, very quickly.
    3) men. mine all look like really ugly girls. I actually lean toward wanting to draw girly ones, but at least they should look sort of normal.
    4) more movement in my compositions.

I doubt any ppl will respond to this sketchbook since I'm not that great, but critiques are appreciated as always!

A quick self-portrait done with a mirror, and a face practice (supposed to be a guy?), and just some pics to compare to my painting.

I have other doodles in my sig, but I'll post my other self portrait and ex. of my children's book style (but not necessarily part of it).

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    worked on some more concepts on the children's book since i was in the mood. one is of the girl showing a picture of her mother (the story is of her trying to find her), and the other is of the fox queen of the nine tails (chinese myth) that she encounters later on. used a cleopatra waterhouse painting ref for the pose in the second.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    It looks like you have a great start! You understand so much, it just appears that you are too hard on yourself in your drawings... It looks as if you try to do everything right the first time and don't allow yourself to "refine" the image. To constantly go over and over it, like smooth the values out in the first one. This type of art isn't chinese calligraphy... you need to go over the image ... over and over. And you can't use the excuse that your face isn't "this or that"... even if you think your butt ugly (which your not), it's the ability to create an illusion of realism that your working on.

Keep it up! You've got a good thing going here.

Thanks
    Hey, don't put yourself down so much!!! I checked out your doodleish thingies aswell and they're awesome!!
    um, im not too good at giving tips on skintone, if i need help on this kind of thing i usually use a reference from a magazine. the only advice i can give for drawing from life is the cliche:practice. also, don't give up-after you finish a drawing assess what youve done right and what youve done wrong, that way you know what to work on next time.
    with drawing guys, there are a few things i do to make them look less girly, however in real life these arent actually steadfast rules. i don't put too much emphasis on the lips (and most of the emphasis goes on the line that indicated the opening), i try not to make the cheeks too rounded or the chin too pointy (unless i'm doing manga/anime) and even if they have eyelashes i dont draw them in. its all a matter of preference really-like i prefer to draw guys with big eyebrows.......dont ask
    im still learning to do movement myself, but something i heard that comic artists do is go to the farthest extremes of the movements intended. like if someones running, their legs stretch as far as possible, and if they're throwing a punch their whole body is flung into the movement.
    sorry for not giving crit on the actual pictures posted but all i could think to say for the self portrait has already been said, and apart from that i really love your style
    hope to see more

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. In the self portrait I actually wanted to do it as quickly as possible and gave myself a time limit. As soon as I get out of school I want to try my hand at some jobs (hopefully paid)...and I have this horrible habit of taking forever to do something and not finishing it at all...so I want to make sure I can finish things on time.

Basically I wanted to block in the form and make sure I didn't get caught up in the details like I usually do, because I always end up with like half the character done really well and the rest of the picture not even colored yet. Even telling myself this, I started to work on smoothing and details...had to force myself to start over and try to work looser.

And I don't think I'm ugly at all (<~~ego x.x;;, but I have trouble drawing the things I mentioned, for example, a caucasian face. But I'm practicing it

Tonberry: Basically to make my guys supposedly like guys, I give them more angular eyes (as opposed to almond shaped, etc.) and lower the brows, and make the brows more bushy hehe, just like you said.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Ahhhhh.... ok, that makes more sense. It's hard to get a good feel on people on their work and what they're trying to do with only some information.

I would have a lot of trouble trying to draw an oriental face from my mind. I guess I'd look up a lot of profiles and 3/4 views. And definitely how lighting effects an orientals face... i'd have no clue!

So in your case...
    Andrew Loomis' head and hands book is the only suggestion I can think of for ya...

Thanks
    Yeah, my profile is practically a straight line...so my drawings of profiles are always like funkay x.x;;;

Some practice sketches...wanted to work on drawing quickly again, so I timed myself using songs, once it was over, the sketch was over, although I tried drawing faster...trying not to work too hard on details but just get form down. As you can tell I still have problems drawing noses and lips mostly. I noticed how long it's been since I've really sat down and sketched...mine are so unrefined

edit: btw these are all guys...hopefully you can sort of tell.

[/IMG]hp's improvement workbook

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    some practice speed-drawing my face again from a mirror...my face hurts now...i can't hold an "angry" pose for more than a few seconds at a time...i guess i'm a happy person!

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    some older and recent doodles in my sketchbook, nothing fancy. sorry for the shitty quality...i really should have used my fancy scanner but i was too lazy...so some of the pictures are at angles.

The first sketch I did in my first art class last yr. Not photorealistic by any means, but I'm attached to it for sentimental reasons, I guess. Amazingly, I haven't improved much from this...gah. Alice w/ ribbon hair.

We had to decorate our sketchbook cover, i couldn't think of anything cute to write other than " 'art and soul". self-portrait with my favorite shoe. I think it's in at least 10 of my other drawings. x.x;;

An etching I did. They told me to draw the letters backwards. Yeah, right. The drawing is much clearer, but I think it died somewhere along the way. Look for a skull, paintball mask, me, a cat, sword, my fingerless gloves, ghosts. Supposed to symbolize childhood dreams.

My stick figures AKA poor attempts at drawing classmates. And an MLK parade design (ACK anatomy...). Some attempts at drawing a stylized old couple. Obviously, I'm not talented enough to be able to call things stylized (I hate when ppl use that as an excuse for plain suckiness).

Museum sketches. Everything is someone else's artwork, well except the bg and tree.

Attempt at drawing a movie-type poster based on a book. Ugh the composition...the horror...

A quick contour sketch - self portrait.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    i saw some of phuzion's (sp?) lineart and got jealous. attempted. lameass result. again the fox queen of the nine-tails (i don't think i drew nine...anyhoo) except I actually looked in a mirror for life drawing practice. Very hard to pose...make line...pose...make line...took a photo eventually.

Some of my children's book sketches if you haven't seen them. (see, i drew the shoe again...)

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Some nice work. I like the paintings especially. That one with the keyboard has a great start to it.

Thanks

beautiful!

Your line work is increadibly beautiful! You really have a nice sense of proportion and what not, the only suggestion I could give I guess is to loosen up a little with your pencil drawings, they seem a little stiff and over worked (some of them, not all). But I digress, you kick my butt drawing wise anyhow, so keep it up!!
    I got Chocolate Bubblegum!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    wow i love your "art and soul" piece, and your linearts are absolutely beautiful (im also a fan of phuzions sketchbook) hope to see more!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast