Thread: Way to start?

Thanks

Way to start?

Ok hi all, New to the forum obviously and excuse me if my english is bad as I was never any good at it .

Wanting to get into concept art as its one of the view types of art I like. Im 17 and Im starting a fine art course which will bore me to hell as ill have to put up with learning about artist etc which I personally hate about the whole art scene.

Just want to know where should I start and what equipment should I buy? Can use Photoshop resonably well but I think im going to have to buy a scanner . Also I was going to buy a tablet. would you recomend? if which ones within the £100 mark as I don't want to go silly.

Main interest is to get working in the games industry as its my ONLY thing I would love to do. I got told I always had a talent with art and drawn since I was young but recently I stoped drawing as teachers at school wanted me to draw stuff which I didn't want to and didn't agree with. Im sure some people here will know what I mean as GCSE art is a complete joke of a subject .

Any help would be good. Obviously I know the main way to get better at drawing is to draw but any tips on how to do certain things will be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    all u need is a sketch book and a pencil, dont waste money on tablets and photoshop, its pointless until you can do tradition stuff well
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Want to be a concept artist?

Learn about other artists and draw stuff you don't want to.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Main interest is to get working in the games industry as its my ONLY thing I would love to do.
    Welcome aboard. You'd be surprised how many members of this forum think that way. If you really want it, get pencils & stacks of paper and start learning. You may want to validate your opinion again in two years. You've pretty much chosen one of the most competetive markets there is. You probably have a lot to learn about art, about drawing, and about the market. Best of luck. Stick around and you'll be up to speed in no time.

Thanks
    PICK UP A PENCIL AND DRAW DRAW DRAW !!!! not later but NOW !

And as Ancient Kitten wrote you might change your interests later when you are more "involved" in the whole artistic process and (of course there is some kind of a artistic) lifestyle . I for myself also wanted to become settled in the game industry but right now i would say that im open for almost everything involving money in combination with art
    You will change as you develop

So fell yourself welcome to CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzi
    Im 17 and Im starting a fine art course which will bore me to hell as ill have to put up with learning about artist etc which I personally hate about the whole art scene.
    Why are you starting a course that you think will bore you?
    Just want to know where should I start and what equipment should I buy? Can use Photoshop resonably well but I think im going to have to buy a scanner .
    You can get an acceptable quality A4 scanner for about forty quid these days so you might as well. (cheap Canon range are good)
    Also I was going to buy a tablet. would you recomend? if which ones within the £100 mark as I don't want to go silly.
    Most people use wacoms but they are kinda expensive, there are cheaper brands but the ones I've tried were a bit dodgy. Graphire series might be within your price range though. Like everyone else said, sketchbook and something to make marks with is all you need to get started.
    I got told I always had a talent with art and drawn since I was young but recently I stoped drawing as teachers at school wanted me to draw stuff which I didn't want to and didn't agree with.
    There's a very good chance future employers will have you drawing stuff you don't want to, how are you planning to deal with that?

Just my noob / student 2p worth , take it or leave it, oh and welcome to the monkey house.

-Steve

Thanks
    Hi, Thanks for feedback.

Well the main thing I feel is money, as I will do anything for it! Within reason .
    I meant more along the lines of getting card board and sticking string and tissue paper on stuff not plain drawing like it should be btw .

Well tbh its not just the Games industry , Wouldn't mind just doing animation in general.

Well I wouldn't wasn't money on photoshop only on the tablet. Ide use the trial version of psp. ...Honest...

Erm And to the person who said about why am I doing a cause which will bore me . Its because you need a bit of paper saying you can do this otherwise you can't even get interviews. Also it will lead to uni and a chance to do something else for higher education.

I'll get a scanner soon as I can and get soem images up. Ive worked with mod teams on the design of mods which was fun but not having a scanner I was more a consultor about ideas and if I thought they would work and people seemed to like me doing that as they thought I was good at it. Wierd but its a start .