New and ready to be wasted

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey, everyone.

I've been browsing ConceptArt for a while now, but have only just decided to post something. I've always taken drawing as a hobby - and one to which I haven't been giving anywhere near the time it needed, at that. I've decided recently that this needs to change, that I need to go back and work more, sketch more, just produce more art and go back to the basics (rather than pampering the rare, simple images that are flawed in their very structure in the first place). With finals coming up (no, I don't study the visual arts in any form), I'll be busy for a while, but once they're through, I fully intend to start working double or triple time.

But to improve, I need C&C. A lot of C&C. And advice to guide me in the right direction. Therefore, here are the few pieces of mine I am not completely ashamed of and left them on the new version of my site. Anything you can tell me that will help me grow is most appreciated.

The color pics are all painted with a mouse. I do not own and will not own a tablet anywhere in the near future, unfortunately, so I have to stick to what I have. Some of these (especially the one with the Infernal) are not entirely finished due to time constraints, but as they were already submitted (the three Warcraft-related ones were for fan-art contests), they will not be perfected any more. I have this (silly, perhaps) rule that I'd much rather start working on a new pic than keep adding to and changing an old one.

I'm not entirely sure this is the right thread, but since I need lots of C&C, I figure it's a good place to start. Let 'em rip, folks, and don't spare me.

Abandon All Hope
    Pencil, pen, Photoshop. Inspired by Warcraft III.

Say Cheese!
    Pencil, pen, Photoshop. Inspired by Warcraft III. Halloween contest.

Young Blademaster
    Pencil, pen, Photoshop. Inspired by Warcraft III.

Point Blank
    Pen, Photoshop. Inspired by Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic.

Samurai sketch
    Pen.

Sketchbook: Aremah: Book One

Old stuff: Aremah's Irregular Sketchbook and Dump

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first one (flamming demon) the best because it's the one with the best lighting. Some other ones have sources of light that are confusing, light coming a bit from everywhere and not enough dark areas. Like the orc samourai. He has highlight in front and behind him at the same time and in someplaces where the light shouldn't reach (light underneath his pectorals?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are good, but painting is weak side. You need to paint from life, and to use traditional materials, like tempera with egg, aqqarell with gouache - no oil at the beggining.
    For me painting is same as drawing, just you use areas insted of lines (well, lines could be also borders betwean ares), so like you do little scratches with pen, do it with tempera.
    Point is to take global form first, and after that go into details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments.

Yes, painting is my weak side. To tell the truth, I have no idea how it came to be that I started digital painting and made it my main area of interest for almost two years (but as I said, I draw really little - like one picture every two, three months, not couting notebook doodles).

The blademaster felt particularly wrong for myself, too. It was basically my first attempt at two different-colored lightsources. First mistake - both lights of equal intensity (think sunset/sunrise on one side, a campfire or something of the sort on the other). Second mistake - rushing.

Danilo - that is what I always try to do. Start with large, rough strokes to establish the global, then detail with smaller and smaller brushes. Of course, the effect still leaves a lot to be desired. However, I do not think I'll be going back to traditional media, and here's why:

It's strange though that my background and interests lie a lot more in sequential art - I've always been a fan of comics and strong line art. The trend of coloring with cut-gradients and lively colors set me off that, somehow... and I fell into another trend, for some reason. But that ends right now. I really intend (once I have more free time) to get back into drawing a lot more, sketching, doing quick and rough colors to work on the basics, rather than trying to perfect one image (which may well be impossible with the lack of certain foundations). Also to do more ink work.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every human is truth source of potential. He just need space and will to push it.
    If you want to improve you need to do everything what leads. Even if you like sequentials, that not means that you will not use colours ever. And if you use colours traditional medium will help you, because it is 10 times more difficult to work with them than digital.
    Main point is that in traditional work you need to think first than paint, because isnt easy to repair mistake like in digital. Just meter of discipline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, of course. The thing is I don't have many hours a day to devote to drawing - more like one, two, even after my finals. I still have other hobbies and obligations.

Question is if doing a little bit of every single little thing is actually going to get me to improve. I feel right now that I should work on anatomy, movement and perspective the most. With limited time, isn't it better to concentrate on the weakest points for now, leaving the less weak ones for later?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First referenced pic in a long while.

It's not meant to be a faithful copy, I took some liberties while doing the line art (also because of the low quality of the photo)... and liberties in color followed. Especially in the highlights (pretty much non-existent in my piece). Was also on a limited time frame - but enough excuses.

"Scanned" with a digital cam, for lack of a scanner. Did what I could to clean it up. Anyways, just a little something something, but C&C always welcome.

Reference photo

Pencil, pen

Soft colored pencils (Stabilo Softcolor)

Last edited by Aremah; June 4th, 2005 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on the latest. Your inking lines are very tight, and very accurate. keep an eye on shade, your colouring was spot on, but I think you could have pushed the shading. Try drawing some objects with a permanent pen, but just draw the shade. Shadows and forms become easier to understand, and your lines are very confident anyway, so you should do great.
    The perseverance to finish those coloured pieces is something I envy, I need some of that.
    Anyway just a suggestion. Keep up the drawing!
    -Badger-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Badger, I'll try pen shading while doodling and see what comes of it.

For now, here's a death knight sketch for the necromancer activity (only a sketch because of very limited time). Blah:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my entry for the Golden Age monster redesign activity (more info there) - Frankenstein and Dracula.

And with that, I'm off to start off my sketchbook. You guys think I should keep posting here as well? The sketchbooks are really busy, and among some of the amazing stuff I see there, I probably wouldn't comment on my mediocre pics myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted here in a bit, but for all those interested, I've moved on to my sketchbook. About to post a dump of all the old shit I'd done, and from then on - it's studies, sketches, etc.

Aremah's Irregular Sketchbook.

See you there!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.