Sketchbook: This is not the greatest song...this is just a tribute

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: This is not the greatest song...this is just a tribute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is not the greatest song...this is just a tribute

After finding conceptart.org a few weeks ago, I became addicted, so I'd like to contribute. First I'll post a small chronological sampling from my two sketchbooks.

I'm 25 now, and while I used to draw as a kid, I haven't drawn much at all in the past ten years. Here's some preliminary sketches I've spat out over the past month (I've been drawing voraciously since the beginning of April). While I have the imagination, I lack the technical skill, so many of the artists on these forums are great inspirations for me. Oh, what I could have been if I had kept drawing since my childhood.

Anyways, here's some stuff from my sketchbook (and since these are my better pictures, just imagine what the rest of it looks like! egh!).

I'll just post a few images to keep your eyes from falling out.

And these sketches are my tribute to conceptart.org. I spend quite a bit of time emulating other artists.

Oops, out of time. I'll post the rest of the sample tomorrow.

Last edited by TheGreatNathan; May 12th, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay someone else like me!! also drew a bit as a kid and havent drawn in who knows how long... now all I need is a scanner...

you say you have the imagination but "lack the technical skill" then the only thing I can say (and probably a lot of others will say) is practice practice pracitice... you say you've been drawing a lot since april, post some more stuff even if it is just little sketches that you dont like, people here will always try and give pointers to help you along your way. you say you found ca a few weeks ago so maybe you've seen, but if you havent, there are tons of different ranges in talent to profesions, not everyone here is a profesional artist, some of us are just hobbiests

just with those couple of drawings it looks like you have some cool ideas going on, see if you can roll with some of them

cant wait to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some sketches of sketches

Thanks for the feedback Thalas

Here are some more sketches of sketches done by the artists here. I spend a lot of time sketching from life and copying other drawings, because I can't draw from my imagination worth shoot. I love it when people come up to me, look at what I'm drawing and say, "Wow! That's great! What is it?"

That concludes the sample of sketches I've done over the past month and a half. I'll post more as I draw more.

Nathan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest drawing from life, and getting a good understanding of anatomy.
    It's not really a good idea to draw from other artists work here. . .studying their work is a good idea, questioning line work or technique, asking why a certain artist made a composition decision, whatever. But, learn to draw from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "and he saaid, play the best, sooong in the world......orI'lleatyoursouls"

Good start, but don't copy from other artists for too long. Try to start building your own grasp of anatomy and structure, play with it, add water, draw daily for best results!

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll phase out copying other artists soon enough, once I get a feel for the style I want; if somebody wants me to take down their copies I will.

There's a tangible difference between copying something exactly as it is seen, (drafting?) and drawing from life. Drawing from life is so much more alive, I'm finding out.

Hershey: are you saying it's not a good idea because it doesn't help me or because it's copyright infringement, infringing on personal artistic space, etc.? I'll take them down if that's the case. It's supposed to be complimentary, because that's the type of style I'm shooting for in the end, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes or steal or whatever...

I'll follow your guys's advice about life drawing anyway...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nathan,

Just in response to the "don't copy other CA.org artists" comments:

I think it's perfectly fine to copy other artists if you want to learn from them, as that's all part of a sketchbook. Nathan is not passing the works and ideas off as his, and that's what sets him apart from the filchers and thieves we have encountered in the past.

As for not copying too long, I think you can do copies all your life and still improve, but make sure to keep pushing your own ideas and skills more often. While I don't copy masters anymore, I still reference there images for colors and values and lighting all the time.

I do strongly agree with drawing from life, especially early on. Draw at the coffee shoppe, the mall, restaurants, Hooters etc. And, while you're drawing from life, try to take snapshots in your mind, and then go home and draw what you remember. It helps to train your memory, thus being able to draw out of your head. Furthermore, draw people as they're moving, not just when they're standing still or sitting. This will also train your memory, and increase your understanding of the kinetics of the human form. Also, study anatomy a lot! You can pick up a copy of Goldfinger's "Anatomy for the Artist" or "Artist's Anatomy" or some such name. Just keep pushing yourself. You'll get there. There's a good foundation here, and those copies show that you can at least analyze what you're looking at, and that's a useful skill. Okay, enough babbling from me. Peace

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't saying don't copy other artists because of "copyright" or anything, and it is helpful to mimic others while you learn. . .my suggestion was only to learn the basics from life and what you know, style will come naturally. Keep up the good work and I hope to see more from you soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

asdf

Thanks again for the feedback you guys. I got all paranoid over nothing. It's great to know that other people are viewing my work -- great motivation and so forth.

Here's the best sketch I did this weekend, from a pic on my computer.

Nathan

Last edited by TheGreatNathan; May 22nd, 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the latest image is far better than your others in its form and concept of lighting. But it appears at a few points as though the lighting were coming from the upper left of the drawing (the neck especially shows this), and at other points as thought it were coming straight down from the top.

In any case after you scan your stuff try upping the contrast a bit, perhaps taking down the brightness a bit, etc. to compensate for the washout that usually occurs during scanning.

Hope ya keep improving!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

newest sketches

Here are a couple new sketches I've done recently. The eyeball one proceeded very slowly, and I did the girl this morning. I've also decided to post the original pictures of the two girls I sketched, so my errors are more apparent. Her proportions are all off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you're using pencil, don't be afraid to wrestle with an eraser...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.