C.O.W. - #013: Cloud Dweller - VOTING!!! - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! Regarding the topic!

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phuzion

23 15.86%
  • Rusty

28 19.31%
  • leckronium

1 0.69%
  • bluefooted

0 0%
  • nightfend

7 4.83%
  • Rosco

0 0%
  • Helzon

0 0%
  • young paddy1

0 0%
  • Oregano

19 13.10%
  • Carnifex

1 0.69%
  • possessed

0 0%
  • kyliegirl

1 0.69%
  • Crow

0 0%
  • OLSEN

1 0.69%
  • BlkCelebration

2 1.38%
  • redehlert

1 0.69%
  • MIKECORRIERO

13 8.97%
  • 0kelvin

1 0.69%
  • Sapphire

4 2.76%
  • shadoman

0 0%
  • Fozzybar

4 2.76%
  • vaughany boy

0 0%
  • cakeypigdog

0 0%
  • I.was.ink

2 1.38%
  • fungi

35 24.14%
  • Craig Houghton

2 1.38%
  • prehistoric

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. - #013: Cloud Dweller - VOTING!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really just had the intention of creating this secluded region where these creatures live in a sky based location out of site from anyone on the ground. I had almost thought of including a seperate illustration from a ground perspective of the trees reaching far far up past the clouds.
    Do it DO IT!!!!

um yeah if you want to : P

The idea is really cool the comments on that it was hard to read as clouds is only a comentary on how the piece reads, the concept itself of trees passing the clouds and the creatures living there has nothing to do with that and is very very cool as a concept! Plus the image looks lovely!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits leck and carn!

Rusty I went with rusty. I spent a long while rereading and staring. It's just so beautiful, no matter how long I stare at it. Most importantly, the descrip left me imagining an entire sky of these all alight. THat's an image that will really stick with me.

On a side note. I've realized that I'm an idiot when it comes to concept art compositions. I guess I'm still used to just doing landscapes and studies etc. I'm an idiot for not making the buffafloat more prominent. I've since revised it here, but hopefully the next cow will be my breakthrough.

-Craig

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    I just realized who didnt submit.. is Matt Dixon sick..where is he? check the sewers, pot holes, forests, search the lakes and alleys... he must be found at all costs
    You scared him on the last entry I guess he didn't have enough time and didn't want to enter with a rushed artwork...history teaches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    fungi's was rendered beautifully with great colours, but reminded me an awful lot of his Lava Eater.
    Yeahh I had that too, immediatly!

No offense to Fungi, but I was really wondering why the pic is getting so many votes, because it really looks a lot the same.. It's a nice piece, but the second I saw it, it reminded me of the lava COW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    possessed, leckronium : Thank you both for the crit and comments. Like I told Craig Houghton, I will be working up something monochromatic, beside graytone for the next COW...but It will be hard not to go back to that...seeing as it's a Shadow Producer...(i don't know why I keep having a mental image of a balding middle age guy with a bad comb over and lots of cheezy gold jewelry sitting behind a desk with z-rate movie posters around him).
    But I agree possessed....the pose could have been more dynamic and given a better sense of the overall volume of the creature...will work on that.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm here, Mike, struggling out from under a pile of work to vote for your pic..!

Didn't have time to enter, don't have time for any worthwhile comments, but what a great turnout from all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the comments guys. I think you're right that the colours come across a little to bold and that the top image in particular wants to be a bit more tight. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

[Blog]
    [Email]
    Ben Vaughan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Half Calf - thanks for the vote and coming forward to admit it. Appreciate your thoughts behind my concept, albeit weak by comparison to others - at least I got a laugh vote.
    Leckronium - thanks for your thoughts! I tried to steer away from my med illus side and then a group of the Washington peeps I sketch with said not to. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. My next concept will be typeless and hopefully all one view - I appreciate the challenge!
    Peace!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im gonna have to say i love everyones work, it takes alot to think of a good creature every week for these. I am impressed on how much imagination is put into alot of the work on these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fungi's piece

As far as fungi's looking like his lava eater, to me it looks like they came from the same fictional "universe" maybe, or the same planet, however you want to define it, but they look different to me. (I voted for his lava eater, also!) I don't know, but his style just really impresses me, and his use of color.

Also, that jelly it's going after looks like it's going, "...!" which amuses me for some reason.

Btw, who gave me a second vote?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's mostly that they're both giant red worm/whale-like creatures swimming around in something that isn't water. I mean, they look different, but the concept seems largely the same to me. Coming up with something new and unique, not only from everyone else but from my previous work as well, is something I strive for (and admittedly don't always succeed with) every week with the COW. I tend to notice faults in pictures that I'm aware of in my own work, and repetition of ideas is one of those. That's my crit and I'm sticking to it.

But in all fairness, it's a beautiful picture (I especially like the jellyfish) and I like the idea about the creatures living on a gas giant planet. And I voted for his Lava Eater too.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crits - just a handful

I'm sorry guys, I want to crit all pieces but am so slammed with work that I'm only going to talk about my top pieces I was in deliberation over. This is pretty much ass pattin' praise, so take what you want from it:
    Rusty Thanks for submitting your concept - the concept copy, composition and color were amazing. So visually appealing and moody.
    Bluefooted Damn I love your inking technique. Concept copy and a touch of environment and you'd of sold me - I don't think this needs color, but if you ever do, let me know!
    Olsen Thanks for submitting your concept too! The mood, concept copy and take on the subject was so damn smooth. I loved it.
    BlkC That concept copy was so endearing - pulled on my heart strings. Your color is constantly wowing me - soft, subtle, appealing.
    MikeC Sheer pleasure in your concept - you really activated the 'z' plane in this piece with the creatures coming at you in a believable fashion. Concept copy was a bit long, but you were explaining stuff, so I guess I'm okay with that. Color/textures are constantly wowing me.
    Fungi Already commented on - and yes, I voted for the lava creature and I'd do it again.
    i.was.ink The in yer face motion really had me wrapped up in your concept. I don't need to see 'more' of the creature - that's left up to my imagination. I just really was diggin' this piece.
    FozzyB Great color choices and atmosphere. I love the creature forms you've been creating as of late. Looking forward to seeing more and more.

That's all I have time for all. Like I said, ass pattin'....this was by far the most diff round to vote for cuz there were so many inspiring choices.
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this was hard
    lots of incredible pictures here, those who stood out for me were nightfiend, mike, rusty, oregano and fungi, I voted for fungi because this pic is just so awesome, the colors and texture and that mouth! I can picture it grapping that squid thingy and squishing with this massive mouth, awesome
    Fungi: you'r style gives me an artgasm
    awesome work fellas!

Sketchbook

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Dali

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Although fungis was easily the best painted i voted 4 nightfends in the end purely based on his concept..theres an air of belivability about the design and the content of it works as a whole.oregano,i felt the background contributed a little to much to the concept,but i can see where you where going with it..

welldone all who entered.

..Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to those who commented on mine, much appreciated.

This time I voted for MIKECORRIERO. His concept was great, (I like how it was set up). The creature itself looked great in its envorinment (loved the trees). One of the few entries that didnt have a huge creature (or huge underwater lookin' creature) and looked great to boot. Atmosphere was tops as well as the texture on the creatures.

Great job everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. great outcome

my vote goes to rusty, i think. beautiful & moody.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where is the Mighty Crit Cow? Has she abandoned us for greener pasutre already??

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow!

Fozzy- I have to say I was more partial to your design, mainly because it reminds me so much of Miyazaki's creatures and very close to what I would have imagined to be a sky dweller. Beautiful job!!

I got Chocolate Bubblegum!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the votes, you will all get your money soon...

Miyazaki, i watched a few movies of him, but don't know too much about him, but a friend who is a big Mayazaki-Fan told me, that Phuzion's entry reminded him of Laputa (is it Miyazaki at all?)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen some great work but I can vote only once so i picked out fungis.
    Great colors and design
    Rusty comes 2nd

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow,i got a vote! who was that?

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how on earth did I get four votes?? Thanks, whoever you are! You made my night...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    : ( I didn't make the date. like last time I have done sketches and completed the concept but I didn't have enough time for the finished piece.
    anyway, I voted leckronium. the concept is pretty originial and I can actually see this creature existing in real life, which is fantastic in my opinion. the illustration helps a lot of course. really well done. to bad the work is kinda underrated
    I liked OLSEN's piece too, and Oregano's was really good too. concept wisely executed. it could've been awesome if he had more time to add more detail though, I really missed it.
    Phuzion, Rusty, MIKECORRIERO, leckronium and fungi <-cool stuff too.

byebye
    -stav

Freedom is awesome.
    www.croovman.deviantart.com/gallery

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy effing 'ell that was a lot of entries to go through. Amazing amunt of really high quality work!! To start I'll say that I had a really hard decision between Rusty and Oregano. I ended up going with Oregano because of the freshness of the design and the sense of breadth in the pic, but it was a hair's-breadth difference.
    Phuzion - gorgeous pic and colors, but I felt it slightly cliched. This is entirely my personal taste - flying fish don't excite me.
    Bluefooted and Young Paddy- I felt the same sense of cliche as in Phuzion's but while Bluefooted's was a nice line-drawing of a catfish, Young Paddy's was slightly confusing and rough.
    prehistoric, Craig Houghton, I.was.ink, cakeypigdog, vaughany boy, shadoman, Sapphire, 0kelvin, Crow, kyliegirl, possessed, Carnifex, Helzon, nightfend, leckronium- a whole lot of beautiful entries, but they failed to grab my interest enough.
    Rosco - very original idea, but I would like to see it more polished.
    OLSEN- another fave of mine this time, and hard to choose against, but I felt it was treading on cliche-ism.
    BlkCelebration - brilliant concept, I love the feel of myth to the prose and the coloring, but you don't get to see the creature.
    redehlert cute concept and nice creature sheet, but I would have preferred color.
    MIKECORRIERO - beautiful and original, with amazing sense of fluid movement, but I felt the breadth of Rusty and Oregano's (and Phuzion and and Olsen's) pics more in tune with my idea of a cloud dweller.
    Fozzybar - Tough call with this one also, but I would have preferred a more dynamic composition.
    fungi Gorgeous. Absolutley beautiful and lovely muted colors. However, I decided in the end that it is too close to cliche-like for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some very nice entries this round. It was a very hard choice. I found that I was torn between four entries: Rusty, Oregano, MikeCorriero, and Fungi.

Rusty - I thought that this piece was very well executed. The lighting and textures on the creature were very nice and bold.
    Oregano - Sorry I didn't comment sooner on this, but I was floored by this piece. It was on such a large scale and really stood out. The clouds and creature looked awesome. But the thing that did it for me was the balloon, because it gave such a sense of scale to your piece.
    MikeCorriero - The entire piece was beautiful. It really felt like the creatures would be coming right at me in a moment. The lighting really captured the style you created in your concept.

But, at the end of the day, I voted for:
    Fungi - The Aeraepod was just amazing. It was a kick ass concept, professionally executed with great lighting and textures. I loved the small dabs of highlights that give the wet, glossy-feel to the creature and it's food.

Thanks to anyone who commented on my piece. I was really out of practice and not happy with my entry by any means, so I didn't expect any results. There is always next time...

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too busy at work today to go into many details, but the 3 that stood out to me were:

Oregano: Beautiful rendering on the creature and hot-air balloon. The clouds were too sharp for my taste, but the colors were nice.

Redehlert: Looks like you really thought about your concept, nice details.

Fungi: Everything is wonderful on the creatures - colors, lighting, etc. I know background isn't a requirement, but it would have been nice to see more cloudiness behind the creatures.

My vote went to Fungi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blue - you're being too kind. But thanks! I spent time and I didn't spend time...there was a ton more that could have been done. Go into my sketchbook thread, last page, and you'll see that I was actually playing with color for this round and dropped it at the buzzer. Sigh....time was just not there for me.

Cheers!
    Dave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by croovman
    :
    anyway, I voted leckronium. the concept is pretty originial and I can actually see this creature existing in real life, which is fantastic in my opinion. the illustration helps a lot of course. really well done. to bad the work is kinda underrated
    Hey thanks for the vote. I looked up "roswell rod" like possessed suggested and found a phenomenon that looks remarkably similar to what I had. I had never heard of it before but it was interesting. Until I found a page where someone explained how to get or reproduce that effect then it kind of debunked the whole thing for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fungi
    congrats for the second llama-star under your title!!! This makes you and Matt Dixon the only ones who got 2 stars...but there are still many to gain...harharhar!

Oh btw, pick the topic for the next round, send it per pm to me!!! I will post the next round in about 24 hours...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot, cheers fozzy and everyone who voted for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2