Portfolio in progress (new image 7/9/05)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello de-lurking for an unveil.
    I followed the directions so lets hope this works.

Kinda been layed off recently so its time to touch up the Portfolio. And this site is the best for the feedback I desire.

C&C welcome

Update: Fixed her leg abit and added a bit more detail on her. And added a pic further down the thread. Thanks again for the help.

Portfolio in progress (new image 7/9/05)Portfolio in progress (new image 7/9/05)

Last edited by ElMonoPicante; July 9th, 2005 at 08:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you're posting in the finished section and you have color swatches all over both images, never mind the sketches and no background.

Aside from that they look pretty decent. THe second pose is hard to read, but it could be saved by using value a little better. The samurai robot guy is cool, the green (lights?) might even work but something that looks that bright isn't throwing any light onto the surfaces around it?

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to back Aberrant, he pretty much covered it all.

the girl in the second pic feels akward, her waist seems a little thin and her footing seems unbalanced.
    A little more work would really raise the quality of these, hope for an update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liek the textures in the first one, but I agree with the above artist who mentioned the light from your greens not reflecting off anythign else.

What program do you use to color your work?

My Sketchbook.

I love color so why can't I use it right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition (and perhaps a counter) I really don't think that second pose can be saved without some major work on where that back foot sits. It's in line with the first and so much of her weight isn't over anything. She's falling to her right.

Finished? No...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the dagger on #2 gets lost, pump up the handle maybe,
    i like the first one a lot.
    i would love to see you design a horse for him!

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback. These are supposed to be finished character concepts. Thats why the colors and the sketches are there to show where it came from. As far as the green lights yea sure, they are more incandescent so I really wanted the shapes to stay clean and not cast green all over, artistic liscense I guess. I agree alot on the thoughts of the second pose and was hoping I could get a little help. I think I missed the sudden shift to only post perfect work in the finished section though. I am new so I apologize for the break in protocol.

Sean Vaul- I used PS7 and a Wacom

DS illustration- thanks i love him too and the horse idea has peaked my interest. As far as the dagger getting lost that was kinda on purpose. The character uses a shortsword/dagger and hides it behind the sheild so her victims don't know where its coming from. Which is part of the reason I let it get lost in shadow but hopefully if the viewer sees the highlight on the tip they follow it into the shadows.

Last edited by ElMonoPicante; May 12th, 2005 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I have been whisked away to the works in progress section I will post a piece i was going to post here before my first post was posted and then reposted here.

I like aspects of this and was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to clarify the pose or just make the piece more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting to like the coloring in your pieces, nice work. Now take it to the next level and add more detail with the drawing and coloring but stick with the way you are establishing light sources.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these, yet I don't. I've tried putting my nose real close to the monitor, and stepping back from my desk to try to figure out why.

I think it's the "roughness" of your coloring, which seems to be ruining the great expressions you are displaying through stance (except for the girl's right foot) and shading values.
    Perhaps using a soft-edge brush when you are painting highlights, or more subtle color value changes, such as on the girl's boots.

I really like "Casting shadows like a light," because of the "floating" effect of his feet (which are a bit too small, BTW). The pose and the head really make this piece work, but I would suggest you work on the lights/shadows being cast, and try to make them look less "material." I thought he was spinning a large paintbrush. I'd also add to the background of this piece, to better represent the concept and the title. I'd also get rid of the color swatches. Anyone considering hiring you is not going to care that you used them, and if you are wanting to show your development skills as well as your finished works, the finished works need to look finished, preferably as a separate page from dev sketches.

Overall, I think you're on the right track to assembling a decent portfolio. Good luck!

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again guys. I am working on the Girl's foot and hope to have an updated pic of her soon. I will clean up both of them (remove the swatches). Bows in apology.

Fig- Thanks for the compliment I am still trying to work out color, my program in college was much looser at times than I would have liked so I am basically teaching myself how to deal with it. I guess I am finally making some progress. What kinds of details do you mean?

Madster- Thanks for the baron feedback. I posted him because I wasn't sure if he was worth cleaning up. As far as bg do you want to see his estate or do you just mean something that can be distorted by the blackhole. These images are shrunken quite a bit so mayeb some of the softness is being lost there. I use a charcoal tip in PS with pressure affecting opactiy. I am alittle confused when you say the light/shadow is Material? could you elaborate please?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a pic I always wanted to show on here its about 2 years old now and was done with a mouse in PS6. Don't feel like you have to crit (because its probably not gonna change at this point) but feel free to if you want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is that.. psyduck fighting.. tetsuo? awesome love the lighting. good job on your work thus far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having "walked away" and "come back," I have a better idea what bothers me about your drawings. It's lower appendages. You need to really study some anatomy books for forearms and lower legs. You taper down to the ankles too high up, your calves are disproportionate to the rest of your bodies, and your feet are seriously jacked up.

The rework on the girl is still bad, but now she has her foot twisted inward racking her knee as she tilts off balance.

The shadowcaster guy needs background as in something other than the sloppy blobs of paint to show the effect of his casting shadows. Right now, he looks like he's spinning a loaded paintbrush really fast. His right arm, as well as his legs, are too short and disproportionate as well.

The alien samaurai dude has an overly large left calf bent at a funky angle, again racking his knee, and his elbows are too high.

The old piece you posted has horrible feet, a really badly misshapen forearm, and his left hand is too short in the palm and too long in the fingers. The right forearm is too long, and the right hand looks like a cartoon caricature of fingers.

You would be making a wise investment in buying yourself a drawing mannequin and practicing a lot with it to get the basic joint placement and proportions down, or practice drawing the figure exercises in the Loomis books online at saveloomis.org.
    You need to overcome this deficiency before you can progress with your drawing, otherwise everything you draw will continue to have bad lower appendages.

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks again.

Tie: Yep Tetsuo vs. Psyduck. I had a funny idea that they were really similiar characters. They both have headaches that signify a massive and unexpected increase in their psychic energy. They are both outcasts, etc. I loved doing the piece and since its more than 2 years old might even redo it at some point. I really just wanted to show it off I am working on getting a larger version of it to replace the small one that is there now.

Madster: I admittedly have trouble with foreshortening and with placement of the legs/ forearms. Part of the reason that I am posting my work here is to gain a bit more insight into solutions to my problems other than "you are wrong, study more". I love figure drawing from life and I feel i am pretty good at it, but when I translate that knowledge into imaginary forms I see where I am missing some understanding in my head, but what exactly is wrong isn't always clear. I have noticed that certain realizations come to people in different forms. A big one for me was being told that my shadows weren't grouping effectively together. While this might seem painfully obvious to many artists, this gem had escaped me. This statment allowed me to see the problem more clearly and correct it. I appreciate your revisting the thread to continue your feedback and I also appreciated the loomis link. Thats an excellent resource. Thanks. I wonder if there are any nuggets of realization or a way of looking at the probelm that helped you get past the problem assuming that at some point you had it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Foreshortening is still a struggle for me, too. My favorite technique is to use intermittent "slices, and then join them to form the shapes of forearms, which are my weakest part, after feet. I can size them right, but have problems with the arches...I still have perspective problems with foreshortening, and end up doing it "by eye," rather than with grids, more often than not.

Glad you like the links. They've helped me and others for a long time, and hopefully will for a long time to come.

I agree that the "draw from Life," or "study more" advice is dry, to say the least. That is why I try to be specific about what it is that needs further study. Why spend time drawing shoulders if ankles are your problem???

I look forward to your re-do of the 2-yr old piece. The coloring and values are interesting. It will be fun to see how your perception has changed over time.

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I just realized how long its been since i have posted in here. Here is one of my most involved pieces to date. Still Ironing out a few things but I feel its at a point that I can show you guys and feel for the most part that its finished. As of now this is the Beetle Lord. The idea is sorta an evolved beetle race. I thought about beetle anatomy and how it would change given certain environmental and social changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice job.

i have a mild infatuation with beetles myself.
    did you know there are more varients of beetles than any other insect.
    thousands!

it might be cool to see that cool irridescent color their skeletons typically have.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks glad you like it. I am really happy with how this turned out

yea there is something totally regal about the elephant and rhinocerus beetles. And the idea of a giant creature with huge tusks just caught my fancy. I tried to do the reflective thing a bit but unfortunately in some of my experiments it didn't come out like I wanted so I went with a more callused look. Do you have any hints on how to pull the effect off? It was alot of fun. I tried to incorporate as much of my observations into the creature as i could. I had a fun idea that they evolved bigger because of a migratory need but eventually their middle appendages shrank, ironically giving them the ability to use tools from de-evolution instead of regular evolution. Doesn't really come off in the pic though. Currently I am working on an alien race split on the basis of their love of either the square, triangle, or circle.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.