Sketchbook: Tttia's sketch/digital paint thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tttia's sketch/digital paint thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tttia's sketch/digital paint thread

Howdy all!

I am a self taught hobbyist just looking to force myself to some improvement by daily practice. I have been working on a sketchbook for a while on another forum, but since the community that I posted it is more into technical graphics than artistic/sketch work, I thought I would try here. Looks like a great community.

Older stuff

Recent sketch stuff...not much finished, just working on line drawings, basic figures...trying to work faster:

Some recent digital work....mostly in corel photopaint, also use painter 7

unfinished on this one obviously...but not sure if I will mess with finishing.

Last edited by tttia; May 12th, 2005 at 12:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's work. Some more figure practice....a little over an hour...getting faster!

Last edited by tttia; May 11th, 2005 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If i were you i would move away from the photo paint.

If i shoot the J then its "Good"

please hit up the SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try not to work on "fast art." I see you make reference to quick art, but your going to end up needing to relearn how to use proper human form because of it. Trust me, I would know Keep working on anatomy and studying detail, catching the little things creates the piece.

~Klinesmoker

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by willpaxton
    If i were you i would move away from the photo paint.

Not a big photopaint fan?

So far I find the editing tools so much better than painter that I am having a hard time switching. But I do have painter 7 and photoshop elements 2.0. What do you see as Photo-paint's weaknesses?

As for quick painting... Someone told me to work on getting more done with less strokes, so I am trying it. I find it a bit challenging though. The reason they said it is that I tended to do a lot of detail, but not get the basic form right first. So it didn't look good. I am trying to do lots of basic forms to get that down, then start working on detail again if that makes sense.

But I am aware of difficulty in anatomy. It seems to be everyone's challenge! I am currently looking for some anatomy books to practice more from. But for now am working from various stock images dealing with poses and clothing. By the way, I checked your sketchbook and I can see why you would say details are important! You have an awesome shading style in pen. Very good work.

Thanks for the comments

Last edited by tttia; May 11th, 2005 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's work....not sure what I think of it yet...I never do till the next day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tttia - Welcome to the sketchbook forum.

My opinion would be that the speed drawing really isn't going to help a whole lot until you have a pretty good handle on the structure of the figure. That doesn't mean you have to draw laboriously detailed renderings. Instead of thinking of drawing in terms of speeding through the drawing, think about it in terms of keeping it loose. When you draw, draw the structure inside the outlines. And don't worry about every line being in exactly the right place.

And the other thing that will really help your drawing is to draw every day. I've been drawing every day for the last 7 or 8 months and it's made a huge difference.

As for anatomy/figure drawing books, I've never seen any better than the instruction books by Andrew Loomis.

If you go to this site and register, you can download them,
    ----www.pinwire.com/modules.php?name=books----

Hope that helps. Keep on keepin' on.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks will check out the site. I have been trying to draw everyday....argh! the time crunch!

Added some of my normal sketches too just for comparison, from a while back when I had more time on my hands! Trying to do more of the digital right now but might do some regular sketching. The problem with regular sketching is that, while I have more control than with digital, I get way too many proportion problems. I get more detail, but less form. That is why I was working on form in a quick version, then figuring I would go for details. For every decent pencil drawing I do I get about 3 terrible ones. That is why I like the digital...easy to be lazy and just edit away the mistakes!

By the way, know of any good resources on cross hatching? I can't do that for anything. My drawings are either shaded by smudging or just by drawing in the countours I see.

Last edited by tttia; May 12th, 2005 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a couple suggestions. Rather than trying to draw the whole form quickly, try to focus on just one part of the form you want to draw. For example, draw nothing but hands. Don't try to draw them fast, just try to draw the correct form and proportions. Start out with profiles, front, and rear views. Then try perspective. I find that this method of focusing on drawing parts of the form and then putting them all together works best for me.

Also, the more you draw the faster you'll become. This is the nature of practice. You shouldn't force yourself to go faster. You'll only end up sacraficing quality if you do that. You should always try to achieve the best quality that you can, and then improve on that in your next piece. It's better to have a few drawings that showcase the best of your ability than it is to have several drawings that were thrown together with haste.

BTW, I like the drawing of the old man in the hat and the painting of the guy in fur. They have a lot of character in their faces.

If you're looking for resources on anatomy I would suggest "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" by Stephen Rogers, Peck. It can be had on Amazon.com for about $15 and it's an amazing steal at that price. It's by far the best book on anatomy for artists that I have ever seen. Also, look at stuff by Andrew Loomis. He wrote some very good books for learning to draw the human figure from memory.

Last edited by Cyanide; May 12th, 2005 at 01:51 AM.
    Check out My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's work, went back to some sketching. It was almost right until I did the head...it was too big..so had to fix it on the computer. Ah well, still was fun to get back to pencil sketching. It was also an attempt at some cross hatching. I don't know much how to do it, so any tips would be helpful .

From a National Geographic reference...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketch.

Check out this sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34479

He's got some really amazing work and if you scroll down the first page, he's got a nice little hatching tutorial.

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great!

Appreciate the tip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh, today's submission took forever. It is a bit on the odd side. I started going through Loomis' books today and while working on anatomy took a divergent path on this one.

It took too long though so I didn't get to check up on all those sketch books out there...maybe tomorrow!

Oh, and I did this little classic....got the figures too wide...numerous other things wrong too...but ah well, it is practice afterall.

Last edited by tttia; May 13th, 2005 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using Loomis' work on figures still. Interpreted the shading a bit on the last one...not great, but a start. Some of them are badly off, but it gave me a chance to go mark them and see my mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonights work, from reference:

Last edited by tttia; May 16th, 2005 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you should do a lot more sketching before painting (i'm also practicing it). or at least do a more careful sketch and then paint over it.

you may also want to draw painting over a colored bg, for instance a grey bg...before you start painting. Or at least prepare the bg with something interesting. I know i have this problem too, of using white bgs too much.

I'm not a big fan of the smooth look, so kill me, try looking at these speedpaints. they're not perfect anatomically or whatever, but i think he does one like everyday and it's good practice. fridayeve

most of all, i think your lines aren't bold enough. it may be because they are scanned in improperly or something (if done traditionally), but nothing is cooler than a nice confident line.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are jumping into painting way too soon, color is a whole 'nother dimension with a whole slew of new problems. You really need to focus on greyscale drawings, most painting problems are drawing problems. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i disagree, i think you can definitely develop color as you develop your drawing skills. instead of doing figures, try doing something simpler, like color studies of how light affects skin, or maybe an apple/cup,etc. looking back, i would also work on using softer colors, sometimes your colors are too intense and as someone always tells me, "out of the tube" if you know what i mean.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi tttia
    I think the dog sketch is my favorite
    I agree with hpslashluvr, I think drawing a smaller element of your subject (or smaller subjects) will go a long way. Practice practice!! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really didn't do this just to stick it to the folks telling me not to paint.

this quite an odd piece for a friend.

I will go back to some sketching tomorrow. Actually I did a lot today, but nothing worth posting.

And as to the out of the tube colors...yeah I tend to agree...way too bright most times.

Oh and, I am under no delusions that this pieces colors are good in anyway
    It is just a joke for a friend

no reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, not too bad, although the breasts need some work.

don't worry about the not worth posting thing, i spam my thread with my doodles all the time x.x;;;

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just couldn't resist painting some more. . I was going for a more painterly feel

painter 7.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tttia - That last one is nice. My crit would be that it needs more contrast to give it more depth. I think the high lights are good, It just needs some darker values for instance around the eyes and under the nose and bottom lip. Hope you don't mind the critique.

You know, with all the advice you're getting here about what you should be drawing and what you shouldn't and what you should be painting, and what you shouldn't. It reminds me of the old saying: Question - "What is the best kind of excercise?" Answer - "The kind you do." I think the same could be said for art. There are as many ways to approach learning to draw as there are artists. The most important thing is that you do it. I say, if you can't resist painting, then Paint!

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy3dman
    Hey tttia - That last one is nice. My crit would be that it needs more contrast to give it more depth. I think the high lights are good, It just needs some darker values for instance around the eyes and under the nose and bottom lip. Hope you don't mind the critique.

You know, with all the advice you're getting here about what you should be drawing and what you shouldn't and what you should be painting, and what you shouldn't. It reminds me of the old saying: Question - "What is the best kind of excercise?" Answer - "The kind you do." I think the same could be said for art. There are as many ways to approach learning to draw as there are artists. The most important thing is that you do it. I say, if you can't resist painting, then Paint!

Thanks for the encouraging post I am trying to get the darker tones in, but I was using fairly transparent brushes on that one and I couldn't get the darks to look right...the opaque thing just wasn't working. But I found a better brush in the fine art brush collection I downloaded that worked pretty well for quick sketchy stuff. Here is tonight's result.

Opaque brushes, pretty quick paint...going for a looser style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some great pieces here. Please post more. I really like the pencil of the women in the lap.

Checkout my sketchbook sometime.
    darkchild

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick Sketch from a fashion catalogue reference. I might put in some shadows later to make more sense of the face/nose, and shirt areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad, getting better. just two tips: don't define the muscles/wrinkles so heavily on a girl, it looks sort of harsh...and also, when you draw teeth, just hint at the shadows, or it will look like she has buckteeth or gaps.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hpslashluvr
    not bad, getting better. just two tips: don't define the muscles/wrinkles so heavily on a girl, it looks sort of harsh...and also, when you draw teeth, just hint at the shadows, or it will look like she has buckteeth or gaps.
    Thanks, good advice on both. The wife had the same take on the muscle definition and shoulders especially. The ones on the face were actually just for shadows if I put them in later, but they do give it a harsh look.

tonight's work:

Decided to focus on animals for a bit. Here is a little mouse, no reference used. Not sure who to root for in this picture. Seems the mouse is resigned to his fate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are drawing these traditionally (not sure?) then make sure to scan or take pictures better, it is hard to tell what is going on in the picture. If you're doing it digitally, then try to make your lines clearer (although not necessarily less sketchy). If you draw animals, I would personally use a reference...some of the features look a bit off. Keep posting!

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a bit of time off...latest work:

This was three days work...not really all that long...maybe 6 hours...too long for this kind of work I suppose. Painter 7

Last edited by tttia; July 2nd, 2005 at 09:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.