Thread: Alien Planet...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts

Alien Planet...

This is for all you fellow Wayne Barlowe fans out there. Next Saturday, the discovery chanel is airing a TV adaptation of his book Expedition called 'Alien Planet' so be sure to check it out. Click the link and see a little preview. The site itself features some of Barlowe's creature designs. All I can say is that I can't friggin wait. I can't wait for the DVD either.
    Last edited by N D Hill; May 8th, 2005 at 02:11 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Added it to my TiVo
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Makes you regret that the channel in Europe will never get this... probably we'll never get the DVD either. I'd have loved to see this.

Thanks

Exclamation This is sooo.......i have no words.....

WOOOOOOOWWWWZZZZ!!!!!!!!

THIS GAME!!!! SO COOL!!! (check exploration)

So ORIGINAL!!
    Man thanx for posting this, now i definitly can't wait for the DVD!!
    I hope they goana sell it in the Netherlandz, otherwise i hope i could download it someway

This is just THA shit for me aaargh i have to start creating more aliens
    One of the phatest things to do

Thanks
    pssst I need a torrent...
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    MIKECORRIERO : Amen to that man. Barlowe is crazy talented. I love leaving his "Inferno" book out for people that come over to flip through, and watching their facial expressions. There is some incredible stuff in there. I read somewhere that he was 21 when "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials" was published...geez I need to get to work.

James Ball
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    This should be quite cool, BUT: what's the deal with the whole "We consulted a bunch of scientists to see what life on another planet would be like" jive?

There is NO mention of Barlowe on the website, and not ONCE have I heard that it is based off of his book! What gives?!?!

Its like they want us to believe that this could only come from the minds of a dozen of the most brilliant scientists, when in fact it's from a single ILLUSTRATOR's mind.... grrrr.

Oh well. I guess he must have agreed to it... unless the publisher sold the rights without his consent.... anybody know anything more about this?

Thanks
    Heh - Well, I did a little research... according to Barlowe's own website: he's one of the executive producers, and the art director for the show, so I guess he signed off on this whole approach.

You are right though, Discovery Channel definitely wants you to think it was their invention... oh well, I guess if Barlowe is happy, thats all that matters.

Thanks
    Yeah. I find it a little misleading as well. 'Walking with Dinosaurs' is one thing but the discovery channel has used that as a leaping off point do such specials as 'The Future is Wild' and now this. Don't get me wrong, I love Barlowe's 'Expedition'. It's just that I sense a little desperation on the Discovery Channel's part as it seems as if they want to start parading around pure speculation as something more than it is. Not only that but they're making feature length, high budget, events out of them. As if good concrete science can't be cool enough to bring in the ratings on it's own.

If you're gonna speculate however, Barlowe is the guy to do it. What's great about him is that he has a very strong scientific background as a paleo-artist. That means he has to be familiar with ecology, animal physiology, locomotion etc. In order to get into scientific publications, you have to be spot-on with current theory. If the smallest thing is off, scary letters from know-it-all geeks start pooring in That's what I envy most about him. His creatures never really seem like just 'creatures.' He's got a great well of knowledge to draw from and his designs are concieved in such detail that it would make a paleontologist happy.
    Last edited by N D Hill; May 14th, 2005 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    I saw it last night and... Well... It was a bit of a let down. It looked nothing like Barlowe's paintings. It looked like the environments were friggin modeled in Bryce! The animation was jerky and off-balance. I can't put my finger on it. It was just... Bad.

Thanks
    Damn, I missed it. Will it be on again like the Dragons (crap)?
    ~Tiina
    www.DragondustStudios.com

Thanks
    yeah I agree with exo. You can really see the budget limitations shining through in this special. What should be a "herd" of animals is maybe 7 or 8 individuals, a "forest" is a small clump of evenly spaced trees. The charcter animation is video-game level stuff, and those environments are ALL flat plains with cliffs in the background. I'm not saying its necessarily the animaiton company's fault, THey probably did the best whith the restraints they were given. The overall look was pretty cool, in my opinion, although those robots seemed a little "sporty-looking" for scientific equipment, heh heh.

Its just a shame that they couldn't get the budget to really make it the way it was meant to be seen, but at least it got made at all....

-Sean

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McNallyism
    yeah I agree with exo. You can really see the budget limitations shining through in this special. What should be a "herd" of animals is maybe 7 or 8 individuals, a "forest" is a small clump of evenly spaced trees. The charcter animation is video-game level stuff, and those environments are ALL flat plains with cliffs in the background. I'm not saying its necessarily the animaiton company's fault, THey probably did the best whith the restraints they were given. The overall look was pretty cool, in my opinion, although those robots seemed a little "sporty-looking" for scientific equipment, heh heh.

Its just a shame that they couldn't get the budget to really make it the way it was meant to be seen, but at least it got made at all....

-Sean
    Yeah. I guess to be fair, you have to realize that Barlowe's paintings were incredibly rich in scale, atmosphere and were crammed with so much detail and ambience that there's no way anything less than a summer blockbuster budget is going to do it justice. 'Alien Planet's' Darwin IV just didn't have that grand sense of scale and depth that 'Expedition' did. It just wasn't realized to it's full potential.

Thanks
    That sucks, I was hoping it would be good. I love Barlowes paintings. I thought I read on his web site that he was writing a script for inferno. maybe I mis-read.
    I also heard a long time ago that Tippett himself had bought the rights to make a feature length 3D film version of Expedition to be produced by disney. (after another "pixar" teamup I'm guessing).
    -T
    Rockabilly!