Sketchbook: darkarts' Daily Void
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: darkarts' Daily Void

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

darkarts' Daily Void

So after nearly two years of lurking at conceptart.org, I decided it was time to get off my lazy ass and start drawing - although that took me almost 2 years too long, I've decided to correct that with this sketchbook. That I'm planning to update daily.

I'm so dead.

Anyway, I'm 15, and live in the Netherlands. I haven't been drawing seriously for all that long, maybe a month or two, though I doodled quite a lot before that. As far as I know, I've got a few big problems - my worst being that I'm bad at shading, mainly because I'm afraid to push value.

With that said, here are some pages - I hope I don't end up like this guy here... Thanks in advance for any critiscm - I greatly appreciate it!

15 minutes or so - we were in a museum with school, and we had to move on.

Some hand studies I've done: (First one is nearly over a year old)

What I can see is that the thumb muscle on the second hand is wrong - it's supposed to circle around the hand, not connect to it.

The last one is a bit flat, I think, but I didn't attempt any shading - for reasons mentioned above.

Some environments - first two are rock studies I did while on a trip.

And some perspective that went horribly wrong. Sitting on the beach bent over with a slanted sketchbook makes for one hell of a bad perspective study... I didn't even get the title straight!

A tree:

Pencil sharpener and a MP3 Player:

I saw a page from someone elses sketchbook, and was motivated to do the same study. These are from Loomis, and I think I'm going to do a few more tomorrow or so:

I had some Bridgeman studies as well, but they were drawn way too light for the scanner - and in some cases, I wrecked some of them by drawing random stuff on the pages.

Anyway, last one - This is a portrait which I need some help with. I set this up following a tutorial from Ron Lemen which was posted on this site, mainly because I wanted to practise shading and values. However, I've finished the first two stages, and there's a lot wrong here.

The original pic at: http://www.peterlanger.com/People/Me...s/MXPOP009.htm

And my sketch:

That was my workload. Again, thanks in advance for any critiscm you can give me - it's grealy appreciated!

Last edited by darkarts; August 15th, 2005 at 05:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkarts

congratulations on starting your first sketchbook, you are young and have a lifetime ahead of you to get better, keep practicing and you'll see progress in no time, practice what you learn and have fun along the way

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    charcoalArtist: Thanks man, it's nice to have some support along the way. And I'm most definetely having fun I checked out your homepage - it has some good stuff on it - you should put up a sketchbook too

( I was working on some sketches, but since it's late, I don't think I'll have those up before tomorrow.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have one, link is right under my signature..

talk to you later

SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, didn't see that there. I'm not that perceptive, I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hand studies

Didn't have a whole lot of time today, but I managed to do two hand studies.

This one I didn't get a chance to finish - had to leave it as it is, and after two hours, it's no use going back to a similiar pose to finish it, since everything will be different anyway.

This one I did in about an hour... not wholly satisfied for the time taken, but I suppose it's ok. I see some problems, notably the small thumb and the fat fingers... I think I'll chalk it up to foreshortening issues on those fingers, had some problems with that.

That was it for today. Critique is appreciated as usual!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. we ended up on the same SSG.. I'm on a quick lunch break and wanted to stop by to check the links in my signature.

I'll stop by later to check out your artwork,

SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really freaking hate my bargue attempt. It's not anywhere near finished, of course, but I can't stand mistakes wherever I see them. So many of them on the right hand side, and on the bottom...

The original is from MCM's Bargue thread. I think it's his drawing, but I thought it was the original at first. I hope he's ok with me copying it. http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=148

Edit: Spotted more problems with the bargue - the lines on the left hand side aren't referenced to the other lines - they need to be moved inwards. *sighs*

Edit2: Whoah - that page is way too light. Tried to darken it in painter, but that didn't work. Ah well.

Last edited by darkarts; August 25th, 2005 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start on your bargue! It's a great exercise, here's a few things I notice wrong with yours (best to correct as many error early on as you can, don't rush the shading until your drawing is near perfect): The angle from the waist to the shoulder on (our) left should lean more to the left, in the original it is almost 45 degrees; don't worry so much about having clean lines at this point as having them at the right angle, and that the shapes are correct in relation to one another.

Keep at it and don't give up, if you have to (if you mess up too badly) you can always try again and start over, just make sure you finish this, it teaches you alot about patience and dedication.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.