Sketchbook: darkarts' Daily Void - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: darkarts' Daily Void

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are well on your way, can't wait to see the finished cow later this week

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing really well with the buffalo so far, and it'll be great to see how you do the texture of the horns.
    something i do when handling smooth textures (like at the ends of the horns) is try to shade with the direction of the curve. everyone has a different approach to shading i suppose, but i find this the easiest way to acheive the effect, so i thought i'd mention it.
    great work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose it was a buffalo, not a cow. Thanks for the advice on texture, I'll be using it. I suppose I took to a different meaning of texture, thinking more of the pattern rather than seeing as it as another kind of shading . I'm leaving it for another day though - tonight, I'm going to do some anatomy studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, since I didn't post anything for the last two days, and I've got no intention to let my thread fall more than two pages, here's an update of what I did today - so far.

This was a loomis arm study - it's pretty famous, since everyone draws it once in their career in the sketchbook section. The full drawing (like most of my other ones here) was nearly A3 (in comparison, the others are just slightly above A4) So, here is a crappy picture - it lost all the subtle (or as close as I can get to that, I suppose it's an excuse for no value ) shadings:

And a close-up:

Spent about 50 minutes on the first one, about 40 minutes or so on the second - only I didn't really focus too much, so I'm sure I could have done them quicker. Anyway, that's not all for today.

Edit: Damn that first one is botched. The second bone should be longer, I think.

Last edited by darkarts; May 15th, 2005 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to do some figure studies last night. Slow ones really, the second one is messed up, though I kinda like the first one even though the hands were in really weird positions, and hence, suck in the drawing

Last edited by darkarts; May 16th, 2005 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figures are good, but I think it's pretty important to capture the entire figure instead of just part of it (not to say that practicing a speficic area is bad),
    but it really helps to get proportions and gesture correct if you draw the entire body (I know it's hard to find refs with the whole body intact sometimes) Good luck, until next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right. I specifically avoided the heads. I dunno really, I'm getting pretty annoyed at the lack of technique I'm displaying here. It's frustrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see more figure drawing practice, keep going! one problem you seem to have is kinda what dan said earlier about drawing the figure as a whole. on one of the drawings the arms seem kinda disjointed -and i know how hard this is, it took me months and months and a copy of uncanny x-men to get shoulders and elbows right (....ok i know i should have been using an anatomy book but i liked how it was simplified....*mumbles off with pathetic artistic excuses*). sometimes its good to study the joints just as much as you may study the limbs. however i have to say youve done brilliant on that first drawing, the torso flows smoothly into the arms, and its all in proportion. great work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just want to say good job!
    quick tip: when drawing hands think about the underlying bone structure, it helps me when i draw hands, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick tip about you not wanting to draw heads: You don't HAVE to draw the features of the head on a figure drawing, just the overall shape and mass are fine, this can also help you avoid getting caught up in details too soon. The more general you start out, the better. General to specific. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing at least an oval for the head is particularly useful so that you can proportion the rest of the body using head lengths. One head length from the chin to the nipple one from the nipple to the navel one from navel to crotch and anywhere from 3-4 lengths for the legs. That's if they're standing up straight of course.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff man, nice cow! Good way to block in the tones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything that have been said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I didn't want to post because I don't have any art to show (loads of schoolwork for me) but since Profil kindly bumped my thread from it's death on page two, it's not that big of a deal to bump it this once right? (I know I've done it before, don't remind me... trying to break a habit. )

Spooky Tonberry: Hmm... Interesting. I think I'll focus more on joints in the future, right after my planned exercises. Good points.

Caligula: About a year ago I made templates of hands- underlying bone structure and in what sort of bow the fingers and thumb were atached to the hand. I've forgotten all about that though. Thanks!

Gilead: I did that on the second one (and on the crappy ninja sketch) but in both cases very roughly. Thanks for pointing it out!

Profil: I'm a hypocrite for saying this, but draw man!

Tomorrow, I promise sketches. (not that anyone is waiting for them but myself, but, yeah :p)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm noticing improvment, that's for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, pixel.

I hate drawing today. Everything was messed up.

This took me far too long, is far too sketchy and light, and is just bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one has good and bad things about it. The good is that you are paying good attention to shape states and contours, which many artists neglect. It's major downfall, however, are the proportions and spacing, she has a good deal too much space between her legs near the crotch, legs look too small in general and (her) left arm is too short. Don't feel so bad about it not being perfect, we all have our ups and downs, you just have to keep trying! Okay, I've rambled way too long, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing for over two hours today.

What do I have to show for it?

Oh, wait, is that another lightly drawn, badly proportioned and completey fucked up hand drawing? Oh yes, it is.

There's no rest either. It's all in the kneaded eraser right now.

Obviously, there is no improvement at all.

fuck this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working through the shit storm... just wanted to prove that I wasn't sitting still.. these are crappy scans, but it's late and I can't be bothered to make better ones. Will do so in the morning though. More disproportioned stuff, all very obvious, but so very difficult for fast work. I just wanted to do everything quick, since I couldn't get any quality down today.

Still got two more I just did now.... but like I said... la manana.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be so hard on yourself, they aren't as bad as you think. In fact, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the last figures are the best proportioned ones you have posted. Drawing quickly can be a good thing, it forces you to look at the main forms and the subject as a whole instead of going straight to details. You should try looking into gesture drawing, it's great and I think it has helped me alot. Also, if you think your proportions need work, why not try drawing some proportion guidelines? If you don't know them, they're in the Loomis book. Don't be afraid to use them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, dont be so harsh, i think the last few youve posted are really good! but i do know how you feel, i get like this all the time. something that often helps is to take a break, watch some tv or surf the net, then come back and try again. if youre too frustrated it can make it even harder to draw what you want. but seriously, youve really improved so keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan, yeah, I should do that. I've been staring at those pages, but I never got off my ass because they look so complicated. Yes, I've got problems pushing myself. I might do some gesture drawing later today...

Spooky - tell me about it. It's not fun drawing the same line 20 times and realizing that every single time there's something wrong with it. However, if I quit at that point, it usually happens that I don't go back. Hence that I worked another hour yesterday.

Thanks guys.

So still from yesterday, in order.

Update: Did a hand study session today, but since it's too late to scan it, it will follow tomorrow.

Last edited by darkarts; May 22nd, 2005 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The newest ones look pretty good. Random advice: You might want to try getting into the "solid" aspect of drawing forms, in other words try to draw the contours of the unseen side. You don't have to do this in a complicated manner, an oval for a cross-section in a leg is sometimes just enough. This is covered better than I can describe in the loomis book. Go you =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Dan, I get what you mean, I'll start doing that next time I draw figures. (Should be pretty soon.)

Thanks Spooky.

So sketches from yesterday. Very bad hands, and the last scan is bad quality because I drew everything in H pencil and had to use curves to make the lines come out. (I know, H isn't a good grade, but it was the only one I had.)

Some of them, mainly the one in the middle and on the far right of the last picture have something going I like - looser drawing, I think. It's something I'm going to pursue a bit more.

These were all from yesterday... today's work I still have to start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really crappy gun pic...

It's not done, but I really need to start learning how to render with a pencil, because this is going asstacular.

Edit: I swear... You'll learn 10x more from conceptart.org than from any highschool teacher.

Last edited by darkarts; May 23rd, 2005 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cool stuff

After looking at the progression of your drawings, I see you've come a long way with proportion. Just keep drawing like your doing, and keep posting. Loving your progress and motivation. With time on your side you'll be a pro in no time.

I see with the gun your taking a stab at rendering, my advice to you would be to set up a lamp or strong direct light source on an object creating really high contrast on the object so it will be easier to see the different values. Also when your in public or anywhere always be aware of your surrounding enviorments. Look at compare and contrast well lit places to low lit places, etc. A sure way to develop your artistic eye is to learn from your surroundings in life. I'm definitly still learning, we all are. Good to see your work and keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The advice darktwin gave is great. I can tell the hands are getting better too. They're hard to draw at first, but they get alot easier once you start to memorize the form by drawing them alot. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youre improving all the time, every hand pose you do looks more natural. when youve finished a sketch remember to compare the length of the fingers to the length of the palm to check the proportion (refer to your own hand), but some of the last ones youve done are perfect! keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.