Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

calling all pros!

hey everyone. i was just wondering a few things that could not only help me out but others on the forums as well. heres some questions for all dem pros out their. like, when you werent pro what did you sketch or draw on a daily basis? what things did you practice daily. any particular books that helped a lot. how many hours a day did you draw? please details and in depth answers are not only welcome but requested. i cant wait to hear! chad

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Do you have any drawings from when you were a kid that you could show us?

Thanks
    i think thats a awesome idea pixeldragon. if any pros have drawings from when they first started out, that would be incredible.

Thanks
    cool, nice idea! I am very excited to see some answers!!
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    yeah it'd be cool if some pros responded

Thanks
    yes odds, pros are very elusive beasts. we must lore them to this page with the promise of free pretzels and beer..MWHAHAHAHAH

Thanks
    i was having the exact same thought about "how many hours do you draw every day (be honest)", for all the professionals and non professional artists out there.

i think it would be really helpful if some of those amazing kickass artists would tell us a bit about their working methods, maybe also some things they do when they dont feel like drawing at all, or something like that.

Thanks
    arent these questions sorta obvious, why wouldnt you draw every free minute you had if you want to be a concept artist? plus time is irrelevant in the case since everyone learns at a different pace. i know people at art center draw upwards of 10 hours a day but alot of that is study too.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    cool thread. I will be watching

Thanks
    i bet some more people will post any time now....

Thanks
    I don't think pros like this kind of question. They probably hear it all the time. I am sort of kinda getting there, and I do draw every day and have since I was a very small child. The amount of hours I spend practicing varies from a half hour to several hours a day, but my mind is visually-oriented and I spend every moment breaking whatever I'm looking at into lines, shapes, and values, which is practice too.

But then, I'm not actually making a living from it yet. Just getting close.

Thanks
    Yeah im kinda agreeing, i think i can answer your question blue puppy. Hmm, if they wanted to become a concept artist fast, they probably drew 6 - 10 hours a day. I asked one pro before, he said he draws when he wakes up till he goes to bed. With breaks of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

As for what they draw, i would assume, they studied perspective, composition, anatomy, colour theory, etc.. And drew things like, Environments, people/characters, vehicles, creatures, animals, etc, from refrence and imagination, Thats what i do, so i donno if its the same with other "pros" But i would assume so.

Justin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    hey everyone. i was just wondering a few things that could not only help me out but others on the forums as well. heres some questions for all dem pros out their. like, when you werent pro what did you sketch or draw on a daily basis? what things did you practice daily. any particular books that helped a lot. how many hours a day did you draw? please details and in depth answers are not only welcome but requested. i cant wait to hear! chad
    BluePuppy - maybe you should check out the pro's in the SKETCHBOOK Forum, you'll see what they draw everyday off the top of their head and for work. Dan Milligan, Marko, Wes, Insane Visions (mostly everyone), have threads, so go check that out too. Also, some pros have links to their websites, and on there you may find more info on techniques styles, equipment used and tutorials etc.
    As for practicing etc. Check out the Tutorials section of CA - in there Ron Lemen, Prom, killing.people etc have posted tuts on drapery, head drawing figure drawing, color theorys and the like. From there you'll be able to see what basics the pros worked on in practise, and what YOU and I should focus on too.

This threads a nice idea. maybe a pro will respond. But its kinda common sense really, what ya gotta do in practise to better yourself as an artist...

Mollyx

Thanks
    molly: yeah i checked out all those threads. they are awesome. the one thing i was wondering though is what things did the pros read and study from when they were not pros yet. i have checked out sketchbooks of the pros(dan milligan, insane, wes, coros importance of sketchbooks.) but it only show them at their current level.

justin beckett: its the environment feind . yeah i know whatcha mean but i was wondering what in particular did they study from. like what books? and maybe some stories about things they struggled with and what they did to overcome.

nonie: good luck!

Thanks
    yeah, bluepuppy, i couldnt tell ya that one, guess were gonna have to wait

Thanks
    the first 10 pros to answer these questions will get a REAL LIVING BREATHING PENGUIN!!! sent fedex next day to their house(apartment) just to show my gratitude.

Thanks
    it's important to draw a lot, but if all you do in your life is draw, you won't have much left to express. so you'll be a technical demon with no life and nothing to show in your pictures.

so i try to make sure i have at least one full day of play a week, where i meet friends, see sights, spend time with my wife, have a drink, and so on. holidays are damn important too.. use your youth to travel the world and experience life. it's not always possible with deadlines breathing down your neck, but oh well..

on week days + most sundays, i work 12-16 hours of drawing, without fail.

Thanks
    he he Mike your are a drawing fiend, I played with the idea of
    doing a mural in my room a looog time ago but i never got around
    actually doing it, when I was in higth school I used to draw tons
    and tons of little comics books, and some how the voice of most of
    my teachers was a great inspiration to draw so i drawed a lot in my
    note books while I was in class, and I used to get detencion for that
    (that did not stoped me any way ); I think Gezstar is rigth
    is necesary to balance life and art.

Iv got to admit I am gulity of been curious about how much hours
    a day some of pros work, but I though asking that was not a
    very good idea, anyway when I was younger I did not "studied how
    to draw" I doodled and copied things, I only have been seriosly studing
    how to draw properly about a year or so (about the time I started
    posting in CA regulary) and iv got to the conclusion that the number
    of hours you draw gets increasted by the amount of time you have been
    drawing, its like building up your level on an rpg he he, its just that some
    days this dam beholder is dam hard to kill
    Last edited by maxetormer; May 11th, 2005 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    When do you consider yourself a professional? I know there are quite a few people on here that are leagues above my skills, but I have been published a few times in PSM magazine. And I have done illustrations & graphic design for different clients for about 8 years. But I don't consider myself to be in the same league as alot of the guys who post here. Just wondering...

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Dammit, Mike, you ruined it! I was so enjoying listening to the crickets!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    When do you consider yourself a professional? I know there are quite a few people on here that are leagues above my skills, but I have been published a few times in PSM magazine. And I have done illustrations & graphic design for different clients for about 8 years. But I don't consider myself to be in the same league as alot of the guys who post here. Just wondering...
    I think, especially on these boards, "profesional" and "high quality" are often used as synonyms, when they are actually different (although related) concepts. If you're getting paid (on a regular basis) for doing art, you are a professional artist, whether your work is good, bad, or indifferent. Obviously, it takes a generally higher quality of work to get people to pay for it, but I'm sure we can all think of "professionals" in many fields who, to put it bluntly, suck. Conversley, there are people who do amazing work who, either by choice or circumstance, don't make their living off it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    but I'm sure we can all think of "professionals" in many fields who, to put it bluntly, suck.
    Rob Liefeld, to name a few .. .. ..

Thanks
    Yes. That makes good sense. I know my work doesn't suck, but I still feel I have alot to learn. I certainly don't feel like I have no room for improvement. I guess when you feel that way, you wont improve anymore. Anyway, Im sidetracking, sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    i began drawing fairly young, and did it quite a bit. as i got older i did it less, and i didnt really start to take it seriously until i was around 17-18. when i discovered the joys of graffiti, i began drawing every night after work. i adopted this ethic for the next 5 years, working during the day, then going home and drawing and/or painting almost every night. my friends all called me the hermit, because i never left my house, as i was too busy doing this thing i loved so much. id say i spent on average around 6 hours a day making art back then. when i finally got my ass to art school, the regimen picked up some, to where i spent pretty much all the time i wasnt working on making art. it would be safe to say some days i spent 14-16 hours drawing. i would draw until my arm hurt, then i would paint. the thing is, if it is something you love to do, its not hard to spend alot of your time doing it. it is a trade, a craft, and certainly a worthy endeavor, and the most addicting thing for me is that its an easy equation, the more time you spend at it the more you understand it. nowadays, i am a "professional" haha, that title makes me laugh when i think about the fact that i draw robot monsters professionally for a living , and i spend anywhere from 9-12 hours a day wailing away on shit. there have also been stretches of time where i have spent 18 hours a day, wake to sleep working. there was a point during massive blacks beginnings where i was working a full time production job, and going home and working a full time production job. this can be difficult at times, but at the same time i feel good about working like that since it is my trade and i have mad pride in it. fall in love with the process and it gets very enjoyable. i hope this helps some as far as what the time investment can be. its not all fast cars and fast women, its a very unglamourous job, and the hours can sometimes be long and unrewarding, but at the end of the day, i thinkit s a pretty honest profession and i like doing it alot..-c36

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahaha... my nickname that my friends call me most is actually 'hermit crab'. so sad.

My roommates call me "Hobbit Who Comes Out of Hole(studio)" hehe
    Sounds kind Freudian.
    Either way, its no good.

Thanks
    Some advice I would give to the younger inspiring artist... The best time to log the kind of hours el coro and some of the other pros are talking about is while you are young and single. It becomes infinatly more difficult when you add a couple of two year olds and a wife to the equation. Nothing against marriage, but I'm lucky if I get more then 3 hours a night to use the computer, and I have a very understanding wife.

Thanks

Cow

Hi,
    I totally agree with Elwell. MikeCorriero posted works he did around 1995, so I found funny to post what I did too in 1993-1996.
    - I did the black&white city when I was about 16. I draw it with an inkpen, after schoolwork, between 10 and 11 pm. Size : 80x60 cm.
    - The second one is my first oil attempt, still a city, on a 130x195cm canvas (I was a bit megalomaniac at that time ), done 3 year later in a summer.
    Now I spent around 6-8h a day drawing.
    Bye.

[IMG]calling all pros![/IMG]

[IMG]calling all pros![/IMG]

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Now that is impresive! how old were ya at that time dude?
    hell that is sum nice detailing and use of perspective,
    one thing I realized when I joied here is that influences can
    boost you up or drown you down, I would have liked
    to have better images to feed off when I was younger
    CA and the the net in general was IMO an awakeing to
    quality art for me he he.

Thanks

Cow

16 year old for the B&W pict, and 19 for the painting.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast