Art: Pirate Cat Girls are the New Super Heros!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pirate Cat Girls are the New Super Heros!

Hopefully this is good enough for the finished section - I'm having a problem viewing threads on this board. It'll load up a few posts than stop and give me "this page can not be displayed." Eh? It was displaying it, why did it stop? Because it can't load up all the images? I don't know - I got through the "rules" threads o.k. so maybe that's the problem. Any ideas?

If my painting is not good enough, I won't be upset if it gets moved, but please mods PM me and let me know where you put it. I didn't see a beginner's section and I'm going to be stumped if it disappears.

About the painting - you'll have to be a fan of American comics to get it. It's a play on the Watchmen line "Pirates are the new super heros," except my pirate is a manga character, since that's what kids read these days (not to upset American comic fans). The composition of the piece is taken from one Todd McFarlane used for a Spider-Man cover and the Spawn #1 cover (notice the accredidation where I signed it ).

I did this after not getting hired by Massive Black - Mr. Manley said I did not have enough detail. I think I have solved that problem, now if I can only learn to paint good in a reasonable amount of time I should be ready to go. So, here I am, ready to learn! Perhaps some pros will check me out at www.extinctionlevelevent.com and take interest in my cause - I really think all I need is a better understanding of the color theory stuff. I'd appreciate an evaluation of where I'm at and what it'll take to get there. I'm ready to move to SF or LA but I'd like to be at a level where I'm not going to get killed first.

www.extinctionlevelevent.com

Give me horsepower or give me death!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    since when did i go over the 200 post mark? hmm... well, i cant help you with your prob, but even so im loving this pic. there are a few things id like to see change, however.

1. the ears arent blending with the hair. its like you have hair and then all of a sudden theres ears.. almost as if they were simply pasted on. this also compromises the shape of the head. in all reality, the head should curve up a whole lot higher. instead it levels out in an unnatural fashion. throw a few loose strands here and there and fill it out a little more.

2. not sure if its all that anatomically correct in the leg department.. i mean its a little hard to distinguish between leg and bg as it gets darker. its as if her left thigh (her left not our left) inparticular is reeeally high up.. like its sprouting outta her armpit. look at it in relation to her right leg (her right not our right) - you can see it go right down to the pants, whereas her other leg is moved up and to the left quite severely. as a result that foot has taken the place of her other butt cheek.

3. theres an impression of the floor sloping downwards to the viewer, but that is broken/offset by the chest on the right (our right not hers ). its sitting square, whereas the other chests are on angles and therefore in more believable positions.

4. not sure whether shes just sneezed some psychadelic green snot into her hand there but thats really off-putting. get rid of it or change the colour to something not as.. eye-burning it upsets the balance and pallete of the remainder of the painting.

5. the skin tones on her face are lacking. it isnt uniform with the rest of her skin, cause as you can see theres lotsa shading and therefore depth in the legs, hands, etc. the face has very little shading/variation in colour, and makes it flat.

wow that was like an essay! sorry. i like the detail and the amount of detail is readily evident here. you have a great talent and id like to see more of your works. just implement the changes ive mentioned and it should make for a very good piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it's inspired by MacFarlane why is the anatomy so good and where are all the weird lumps in the body? Anyway, it looks good. The writing in the upper left and the chest below it might be throwing it off balance. THe face and especially eye look a little out of place because of the difference in style, but I guess that's the basis for the idea. THe detail is crazy, when I saw the close-ups I thought "what the fuck?", that's insane. What was your working resolution and can I have whatever system doesn't bog down painting something like this?

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

Haha is she eating Spider man? as that looks like his arm hanging out of her mouth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have an interesting concept, but I think it suffers from a few things. You have this very rendered, somewhat realistic approach to the the body of the girl and environment, but the face is very stylized and flat as stoph pointed out. I think you should go back and retool that face because it doesn't seem to fit. Also the depth of the environment is confusing to me, due largely to what I think are inconsistencies in the shadowing and the textures. There's a heavy shadow on the legs, but the light source causing it doesn't seem to be affecting the rest of the image in a consistent manner. I really like your color choices, but I think you need to tone some areas down because there are a lot of details competing with each, especially on the catgirl herself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'stoph. -

Quote Originally Posted by 'stoph.
    1. the ears arent blending with the hair. its like you have hair and then all of a sudden theres ears.. almost as if they were simply pasted on. this also compromises the shape of the head. in all reality, the head should curve up a whole lot higher. instead it levels out in an unnatural fashion. throw a few loose strands here and there and fill it out a little more.
    She's got sort of a Raggedy Ann/Andy dredlock thing going, I don't think the fine tufts of her ears would blend with it.

2. not sure if its all that anatomically correct in the leg department.. i mean its a little hard to distinguish between leg and bg as it gets darker. its as if her left thigh (her left not our left) inparticular is reeeally high up.. like its sprouting outta her armpit. look at it in relation to her right leg (her right not our right) - you can see it go right down to the pants, whereas her other leg is moved up and to the left quite severely. as a result that foot has taken the place of her other butt cheek.
    Uh - now that you've pointed it out, yeah, it does look exactly like her left leg grows out of her rib cage. I did however start out by drawing her naked body and then clothing it. While the original anatomy might not be 100% perfect, I did get the top of the leg to connect with the hip anyway. This is a trick of lighting and of the way the clothing falls - which I would probably never have noticed because I'm too close to it.

3. theres an impression of the floor sloping downwards to the viewer, but that is broken/offset by the chest on the right (our right not hers ). its sitting square, whereas the other chests are on angles and therefore in more believable positions..
    Hmm, I would have said the chest on our left was the more straight-on of the two. I shouldn't of shrugged off the perspective on this one, I figured it was simple enough to freehand at the time.

. not sure whether shes just sneezed some psychadelic green snot into her hand there but thats really off-putting. get rid of it or change the colour to something not as.. eye-burning it upsets the balance and pallete of the remainder of the painting.
    She's crushing Spawn in her right hand (due to copyright considerations I'm only suggesting it with the cape and glowing green blood.)

5. the skin tones on her face are lacking. it isnt uniform with the rest of her skin, cause as you can see theres lotsa shading and therefore depth in the legs, hands, etc. the face has very little shading/variation in colour, and makes it flat. .
    Hmmm . . . yeah, it is too flat.

Aberrant - I have to agree that realism and anime don't mix too well - my solution needs work anyway, but I haven't seen anyone do it where it wasn't a bit funky.

I'm willing to bet your system is 5X faster than mine, if not more. I am however pretty good at data management. I have all the thumbnails turned off in the layers palette, I paint sub-elements in seperate files instead of trying to do it all in one file. I don't use ctrl +/- to zoom, I use the zoom tool (saves screen redraws). I'll even store my selections as paths instead of channels to keep the file size down. Whatever I can come up with to speed Pshop up.

Sems - Ah - you're the first person to figure out she's eating Spider-Man! Congratulations!

Pan - Yeah, I agree with most of that. I'd rather start over with a new image however as my computer is much too slow for this one. Perhaps one day when I get a good concept art job and can afford things . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do some of the stuff you mentioned for speed too. Not sure how much you researched streamlining photoshop, but RAM is the biggie (video card means nothing), and make sure you ahve a dedicated hard drive for main scratch disk and to hold the file you're working on, even if it's a 3GB peice of shit.

And by the way there are no copyright issues here, it's called satirical fair use so you can show spidey/spawn however you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberrant
    I do some of the stuff you mentioned for speed too. Not sure how much you researched streamlining photoshop, but RAM is the biggie (video card means nothing), .
    Photoshop doesn't use the video card at all?

and make sure you ahve a dedicated hard drive for main scratch disk and to hold the file you're working on, even if it's a 3GB peice of shit..
    I've been storing everything on an external hard drive lately, sick of backing up cd's only to have them rot and lose data, so I coulduse the main hard drive purely as a swap disk - but if it's kept defragged and there's plenty of room is there any reason to take the other files off?

Anything else?

And by the way there are no copyright issues here, it's called satirical fair use so you can show spidey/spawn however you like.
    I'm not so sure - if I understand the law correctly (and I'm no lawyer), parody is o.k. but not satire. I'm not making a direct comment about Spawn or Spider-Man, but super heros in general, so it might be judged a satire and not a parody. But the real truth of the situation is that American justice is only for those who can afford it. If Marvel or Todd McFarlane want to sue me, it's already over because I don't have the money to defend myself against them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photoshop uses the video card very little, a cutting edge $1000 video card won't make any real difference over a crappy GeForce2. Video card is way down the list of upgrades that will speed up painter/pshop, it's a common misconception.

You definately don't want to use your main boot drive as swap for pshop if that's what you mean, windows will be accessing it all the time. The most important thing is that no other program is using the drive (not the partition) while pshop is. Defragging helps a bit but it's most important that it gets a drive all to itself. Doesn't matter too much if it's full of stuff, just that it has sole use of the drive.

Berne convention says satire is fair use, in my non-lawyer opinion you're clearly within your legal rights to show as much of the characters as you want here, especially if you're not profiting from it. I don't think theres a distinction between satire/parody in IP law. Copyright is such bullshit anyway, it does pay to learn it though because corporate ass-monkey suits seem to get hard over bankrupting artists with lawsuits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really do have a lovely picture that is some to be awed at but here are some small problems that stand.

The only things that really stand out for me is her anotomy on the legs, I don't know how you managed to get the anotomy to work because her butts all the way down the the floor (as can be seen by her left leg) yet her right leg is stretched out like it's up a bit farther.

The green string in her hair also stands out to much, it draws a lot of attention to itself and I think you need to bring the colours down to a darker level, one that won't draw as much attention from the rest of the picture.

And last, the skin tones on the legs to the face, they're not the same and it looks awkward as though she were wearing a mask or stockings but you'd need to show the top of the stockings if she were.

As I said before whether you fix these problems or not it's a good picture you really are a great artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, next computer I get will definitely have a seperate hard drive for Pshop.

For now I'm only going to do low-rez paintings until I feel like I've got a good handle on color. My comp is fast enough for that as-is.

There was a (U.S.) case recently where someone got in trouble because their work was a satire, not a parody. I don't recall the particulars at the moment, but this is why I'm thinking I'd get in trouble for using more specific representations of the characters in this piece. I did have a mind to sell it as a poster. I've since realized the humor is far too specialized for most people to get the joke, so I won't sell it after all, but that was the original idea.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.