Art: Starfighter - WIP

View testimonialsView Artwork
    On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starfighter - WIP

Hello. This is a model I am currently working on for a short class production. The production will be a short, star wars-esqe establishing shot with a fleet of ships (ranging from massive to tiny) traveling over a planet. This model is one of the smaller ships, a single star fighter.

I began with a concept sketch:

Starfighter - WIP

I made slight design changes as I modelled, but I feel I achieved the look of the sketch overall. Here are some wires of the model:

Front:

Starfighter - WIP

Side:

Starfighter - WIP

3/4 Front and Back:

Starfighter - WIP

Having completed the model, I've begun on the texturing process. Obviously, I've only just started on the main hull of the ship at this point. You may also notice from the front 3/4 view that the texture is mirroring on left and right. This is the result of how I chose to texture this model, but I will create a new map for the other side, so don't worry. Here are some shots of the texture in progress:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Due to the schedule of this class project, I am attempting to finish the texture of this model by this time next week, so I'll keep you posted on the progress. In the meantime, any C&C, especially concerning the texture, is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Woodrodius; May 6th, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
    "Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE"

-Sid Vicious
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what program are you using to model it?

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, totally forgot to mention that. It's modelled in 3D Studio Max 7. Textures are done in photoshop.

"Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE"

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update, the texture on the bottom of the hull is complete:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Update:

More texture work progression:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Last edited by Woodrodius; May 6th, 2005 at 03:00 AM.

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, i can almost see it in action.
    but the textures u have choosen makes it look smaller then it is.
    anways, wish i could do this myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I wish I could offer something more constructive but I'm not too good at modelling. Looks like it could be nice though.

[Blog]
    [Email]
    Ben Vaughan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

I think that you started texturing before you finished the model. So I'll divide my critiques into two categories; model and texture.

The model:
    As you said yourself in your first post: "I made slight design changes as I modelled". The problem as I see it is that you have missed many of the small details in the sketch (around the top thrusters, all the little indents on the body and some fairly complex scribbles in the middle where the "scales" overlaps) and that you have simplified a lot of the bigger pieces. This is very obvious on the cannon and the dual back-thrusters that are way off-sketch. Also, why did you change the profile? I liked the concept better with it's thinner body and indent under the engine. All in all, a decent model that doesn't reach it's full potential due to the fact that you didn't stick with your great concept.

The texture:
    This might be because the model is intended for, as you wrote "The production will be a short, star wars-esqe" but why, why the standard panel texture? You have a fairly invovative model and you decide to cheapen (for me) it's impact with a staple texture, can't say that I like that. You need some more variation in your panels, right now they all have the same values and depth. Link to a Star Wars modeling site to give you some ideas on how to create some variation:
    http://www.culttvman.com/swmodel.html
    You really need some more detail around the lens(?), a simple colorchange isn't going to cut it.
    Check your concept. Since you didn't model a lot of your detail, put it into the texture.

I sound very negative in this post, it's not because I hate your work but it's because I think that you are wasting a intriguing concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Thanks for the C&C guys, although I'm not sure I agree with all that you said Cubik. It's not that I don't appreciate the criticism, it's just that in this case, I honestly don't agree with it. I don't think I changed the shape of the model enough to consider it a "waste of a concept", and I can't say I agree that using paneling in your texture makes it "staple". I'm actually quite happy with the shape. However, thanks for the website, the textures there are great and are quite inspiring!

Anyways, here are some updates on the texture:

Engine and blast shield:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a really cool design for a ship. I too would like to see a little more detail in the actual model, and I have to agree that the model isn't as good as the concept sketch... but all in all it's looking great.

Last edited by CruShTinbOX; May 8th, 2005 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small update:

Starfighter - WIP

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say that while it does look good, I will agree and say the concept ship looked better then it's model incarnation. I do agree with how you are texturing it tho. I think it fits it perfectly! Keep it up!

Perhaps you could do a quick "how I made this", and some more info about making large scenes for us noobs...

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...723#post428723

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

The texture is completed, at least for the intents and purposes of this short. However, when I have more time, I plan on remapping the other side so that the texture isn't simply mirrored. I've also included some renders with the lighting I'm experimenting with. Enjoy!

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

PS: What kind of "how I did this" would you like? Modelling? Texturing? Lighting? If I get some more time, I'll try and put something together for you.

Last edited by Woodrodius; May 8th, 2005 at 11:05 PM.

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im a beginner in 3d modeling, so any help on anything would help. i am very interested in the modeling tricks, thanks.

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I could offer a quick crit:
    The texture you are using is a little... bland. Its not bad by any means (far better then anything I could do), but something like a logo, some sort of designation number or something similar might make things a tad more interesting.

Besides that, I really like what you did here, especialy with the originality of this model- I can't say that I've seen a fighter look anything like this before. It will be cool to see the final outcome of your project (you wouldn't happen to have started on any other ship designs, would you?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd sort of abandoned this thread for the time being, but here's the latest render, in widescreen. I can post an untextured render of one of the larger ships later this evening if you like.

Starfighter - WIP

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depending on how this ship is used, it could look really good, or look really tiny. If we get close ups of this ship the lack of depth detail in areas like the cockpit window (i think thats what it is) will make the ship look like a small scale. So if you are planning to have close ups it might be worth it to add details there, details that show depth and "realistic" plates of metal. Adding rivets/bolts would be an easy way to show a referance for scale. I hope that makes sense. But if it is used for mid to long range shots it should work well with scale referance to other ships.

Sketchbook Representing Western Wisconsin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell, any bit of info into what you are doing, and why... not a step by step, (tho, it'd be awsome ) would be great. I think it turned out very nicely, But I don't think that background works for it... Love to see more of the ships!

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

goddamn!

very cool indeed. hmm i must lern how to texture my models :/ the only thing i can do is to do simple models.. but u used 3d studio max ? right? hmm i think its much harder to do textures to the models in lightwave.. :/ iv got a model in my profile.. but no textures. ps damn nice textures u got there

Splendid!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh thanks, thought this thread was dead. Well, since it's alive, here's some updates:

One of the larger ships in the scene:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The planet that will go in this scene, inspired by the concept work for episode 3:

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

Starfighter - WIP

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool. Planet looks awsome! Keep updating.

Crappy stuff by me!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.