Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Looking great, Shane! OK, necromancy it is .
    Just wanted to add, that as you said it will be very busy painting, and right now the fire on the left really pulls my attention from anything else. Very bright colors and strong object, it might be hard to compete with it.
    I kind of like colors of the sky and the forest in the first colored version, when it was lighter. I might be hugely wrong, but you are making everything in the painting brighter and solo, they are gonna compete with each other. It might be tough job to balance it.
    But I like the composition, characters and landscape very, very much.
    Sveta

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Red - yeah, I'm game for a tdome. Already posted in the WA thread

Sveta - again, thanks You're right about it getting darker. I'll lighten that as well, because it's bugging me. I didn't mean for it to go that dark...

Anyway, here's a detail of the tomb:
    Oregano IV :: stuff and things ... and stuff

Cheers,
    ~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Hey Shane !
    I miss a ton of good updates, sorry !
    But the dragon is terrific ! Great render on this one !
    I can't really crit your last pic, but I love some of renders as well. The explosion is very well done !
    I keep an eye on you. Keep posting !
    J.
    Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    That tomb is the bomb!

(oh, I slay me!)

Thanks
    LTNS... And you have made a good progress while I was gone!

Great tomb you got there! And hand drawing improved..... I dunno. Tons? Hehe. Great job!
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    It just got so much better!!!

Thanks
    Okay, it looks like the host where I typically store my images has crashed. Lovely. I really don't like using photobucket...

anyway, here's an update on the pic:

Enlarged the tomb some. There's a statue there that unfortunately got lost in the explosion, and I'm not quite sure how to handle that yet. It's not a majore issue, but it is bugging me.

I still need to add another figure below the tomb.

~Shane

Thanks
    The explosion looks pretty solid brotha but the composition seems way too forced. The central figures pose is extremely feminine. I like the costume design but he doesn't really strike me as creepy or powerful aside from the breast plate. I'd say work some thumbnails and get back to it.. this might be one of those pieces that you take a major step back and hit the sketchbook for a while.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Shane--

Lookin good, brotha! I think Mike's got some points on the creepiness factor with your main figure being a little low. I've thought, from the get-go, that the composition was a little off, but as you've added more elements you've started to tie it together, so I'm not going to comment on it because it seems you've been addressing that issue yourself.

You're doing this in painter? Care to elaborate a bit on process? what brushes, etc.? I despise painter, mostly because I can't seem to "get it".

Thanks
    Mike and Foster, thanks for your thoughts on the pic.

If you guys think of the composition as more staged, it will start to make sense. There were some very specific things that needed to be done, so I'm not too worried about creating a traditional scene with this. There are going to be aspects of that, but it's more symbolic than literal, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfoster
    You're doing this in painter? Care to elaborate a bit on process? what brushes, etc.? I despise painter, mostly because I can't seem to "get it".
    I am doing this in Painter. I don't "get" photoshop for doing artwork, so there

I started out, obviously, with the sketch, which I cleaned up in photoshop and then took into painter. I use the fine tip soft airbrush for any necessary drawing, detail and highlight work. I use the Digital watercolors for laying in color and doing washes. That's about it, really.

The fine tip soft airbrush is very versital, being able to go from a very large fuzzy stroke down to a very precise and tight line.

With the digital water colors I use a selection of brushes, depending on what I need and or am doing. These include:

Broad Water Brush
    Salt
    Spatter Water
    Soft Round Blender - used very infrequently
    and the Pure Water Brush

Other brushes include:
    FX/Glow
    Blenders/Just Add Water
    " " /Grainy Water 30
    Eraser
    Tinting/Basic Round

That's everything that I use. Painter does take a little while to get used to, but it does a good job of imitating natural media. What I've found works best is not confining yourself to a single brush set. If you have any experience with natural media, it makes sense to work strictly with oils, say, or acrylics - you obviously wouldn't mix the two unless you had good reason.

The trick is thinking of the media in painter as nothing more than brushes. Your media is digital, and everything is mixable, so it opens things wide up for going from say digital water color to oil pastels if that gets you the result that you're after. But getting past that mental block can take a little bit of work.

Hope that helps.

{erg, just noticed that most of my keys across the top of my keyboard are not working... all the numerics, and their shift alternatives like exclamation point, "at" sign and so on. sigh... }

Cheers,
    ~Oreg. [at least my trade mark tilde is still working...]

Thanks
    Thanks for the info! I've tried to jump around brush sets in painter, and it really always seems to end up donig things I don't want it to. And digital watercolors? Forget it. The whole toolset makes no sense to me. I like the oils, but I can't seem to get transparent enough with them for the way I like to paint. I'll post some of my "test" painter stuff one of these days, even though it's awful.

Oh, and to reply to a completely non-related thread: Having a kid is easily the best experience of my life. It's eating up so much of my time, but that helped give me the hard edged focus I need to be spending what little free time I have making art, which is such a good thing.

I've got to shoot you a PM one of these days. There were a couple other things I wanted to talk to you about.

Thanks!

-Ben

Thanks
    Oregano,
    nice rendering on the gentleman in fground!

I pulled youre image and did a little tweak...I could ramble but this is more direct..I really like where you're paint is going and thought these suggestions could help push it more...

you have a few tangents on this "line", mountains-hill, head-hill-explosion...which is stopping any kind of perspective "push" between youre foreground, mid and background...I don't know what the white arrow was for so maybe you already remarked on this...

the red line is where you're canvas was...you mentioned needing to add anouther figure into the painting...you could consider expanding viewing area allowing for you to place char to side? possibly "framing" image..

the circles are where thickened up the tree lines not totally necessary..just idea..also consider patches of light (which i did not place in)...pulling treelines down into field area on left hand side background can help push eye back twords mountain range...darkened shadows in the forground-ish area...moving mountains on left side down could help give more atmosphere and discontinue tangent...

these are just small things...the piece as a whole is def coming along nicely...if this was a bit out of bounds let me know and i'll remove the imagery
    -stacey

Thanks
    Hello, Shane. Your painting is drifting very far from the first version and that's good thing, also I do miss the first cold, reserved sensation from the northern nature and colors you chose. But I agree that it's a fantasy scene, so you need to say more. And besides the modest sensation from landscape is here, it is just about to be teared apart though with chaos, as I see it ( new energetic colors are in the picture)
    I do see the main character as creepy, slowly getting inside mind , cruel personality, Yes, I think his manner to destroy is stealthy, but he is cruel nevertheless, he just enjoys more sophisticated approach much more, makes him all warm and fuzzy inside when the victim is blind to his plans.
    My only note is the new violet color you add. But O prefer to see where you want to take this. Right now it's disruptive for me. I like more natural combination, I just think in such a cold day with all these cold color shades in the air, you will never see this warm violet, it will be duller and more reserved.
    Sveta

Thanks
    OMG, I just love these staceydiana suggestions to move trees and bushes forward a bit, add shadows new forest and change the sky space a bit. Make pictire more put together in my opinion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staceydiana

I pulled youre image and did a little tweak...I could ramble but this is more direct..I really like where you're paint is going and thought these suggestions could help push it more...

(snip)

these are just small things...the piece as a whole is def coming along nicely...if this was a bit out of bounds let me know and i'll remove the imagery
    -stacey
    Now that was a crit!

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast